Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HELP How do we stop the barking???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

5 How do we stop the barking???

If our puppy can’t see one of us, he barks. On and on and on. He barks whether we give him treats (for being quiet for 5 seconds) or not. He’s been pottied and had water. We’ve tried going out the door and coming right back, and everything else we can think of.

Please, someone give us some more ideas!

What breed, how old, & how long have you had him?

Duct Tape.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

"The Joys of Gunslinging. It's Win-Win. Freedom or Glory."

dogs are pack animals. Being abandoned by the pack is scary. You could adopt an elderly dog or dog friendly cat.

You wouldn’t have this problem with kittens.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Donít use your last bullet on them.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    It's one of those little yappy dogs. Mix of something. Cute but yippy.......and it's lonely for it's littermates...

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

Ugh. The high-pitched yappy ones are the worst. My neighbor has two. So far, I haven’t poisoned them.

Ugh. The high-pitched yappy ones are the worst. My neighbor has two. So far, I haven’t poisoned them.
    That funny and mighty kind of you...
    JUST A FEW OF MY SIMPLE THOUGHTS
    LAY LOW WAIT LIKE A WOLF IN THE WILD UNTIL THE TIME IS RIGHT
    Never Pick A Fight With An Old Man He Will Just Shoot You He Can't Afford To Get Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by bev View Post
    If our puppy can’t see one of us, he barks. On and on and on. He barks whether we give him treats (for being quiet for 5 seconds) or not. He’s been pottied and had water. We’ve tried going out the door and coming right back, and everything else we can think of.

Please, someone give us some more ideas!
    Might want to try an article of clothing that smells like you in his/her cage/ bed.

Try going a few minutes and when he barks come back, do it many times, ech time making it longer, he will get used to it...some music in the background helps for some.
    I would remind you the extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! Also let me remind you that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue. Barry Goldwater

There comes a time when even the common man must spit on his hands, raise the black flag and begin slitting throats. H.L. Mencken

I used a bark collar on my daughter's dog and it worked well

Isn't this the cute new puppy posted about a week ago?
    Isn't the puppy part Pyr ?
    They bark.

Is he an inside dog? And is he 'house broken'? And if so, why have you got him shut out away from you? If he's given the 'run of the house', he'll quit barking.
    You say "trigger-happy cowboy" as if it were a bad thing.

"If they come a'huntin' me; they can consider themselves lucky if they*don't* find me!"

No surrender; no retreat!

If we fight, victory is not certain. If we do not fight, defeat surely is.

Quote Originally Posted by Murt View Post
    I used a bark collar on my daughter's dog and it worked well
    Please do NOT use a bark collar on a puppy. I'm not against using one, I have one, I have used one, but Not On A Puppy, please....

The pup is afraid of being abandoned and literally dying when left. That is what happens in nature so he is calling out to you. It will take a while for him to understand that you always come back. And most little dogs take longer. In the meantime when you leave and come back do not make a big deal about it. It is very important for the pup to understand that you leaving him behind is a regular thing and and you always come back. but remember, do not make a big deal over him when you come back or when you leave. Just say ok we will be back puppy and go and when you return say hello puppy then ignore him for a few seconds before taking him out to potty.

ShihTzu

Four months

Two months
    Last edited by bev; 05-14-2019 at 04:10 PM.

I leave the tv on for my dog when no one is home. It really helps with separation anxiety she has when we go somewhere without her. Being shut up in a alone space with nothing but silence is sad for dogs and pet birds. A dog barking is like talking is to people. They don't get tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
    dogs are pack animals. Being abandoned by the pack is scary. You could adopt an elderly dog or dog friendly cat.
    I’m lucky DH agreed to this pup. No way would he agree to another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    You wouldn’t have this problem with kittens.

Your point?

He’s not a high-pitched yappy dog. His bark sounds like a bigger dog actually.

Quote Originally Posted by petedtom View Post
    Might want to try an article of clothing that smells like you in his/her cage/ bed.

Try going a few minutes and when he barks come back, do it many times, ech time making it longer, he will get used to it...some music in the background helps for some.
    Thanks, Pete. Will try it with a t-shirt or something.

If you’re in the house and just doing chores then leash the dog and take it with you. I do a lot of stuff standing on a leash. Plus if I don’t want pup to mess w whatever as I walk through the house I pop the leash gently and then tell her to leave it. She has learned a lot from this tactic. She was spayed yesterday and guess what she’s dragging today? Her leash. I can stomp on it PDQ and prevent all sorts of things from happening.

The hard part is going to be leaving her home alone. Only idea I have is to start in 15 minute intervals and return (ignore her) and increase the time. Or just give up and get a large purse and take her with you. Lol. My daughter had a kitten she did that with. Bloody thing loved to ride in the car. Good luck. This is a tough one.
    The Operative: ďThe path to peace is paved with corpses. Itís always been so.Ē

Malcolm Reynolds: ďSo me and mine got to lie down and die so you can live in your better world?Ē

I'd second the leaving the tv on, we generally have 'something' on during the day, usually the tv, so it's a sound all of our dogs have been used to.

Is your pup kenneled when you leave? I'm guessing yes since he's a puppy. Generally, they'll bark for a while then settle down, but it's not always that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Caplock50 View Post
    Is he an inside dog? And is he 'house broken'? And if so, why have you got him shut out away from you? If he's given the 'run of the house', he'll quit barking.
    Yes, Cap, heís an inside dog. Heís doing very well with house training, but heís not completely reliable yet. Weíve been increasing the size the the area, but he doesnít yet have the run of the house.

He can see into our bedroom from his crate and has no problem overnight. The barking starts as soon as we leave the house, whether heís in his crate or not, and it doesnít matter if we are just gone a few minutes.

Heís not a high-pitched yappy dog. His bark sounds like a bigger dog actually.
    Heh - sorry, not buying it. If by ďbigger dogĒ, you mean a 15 pounder, then okay. As to the barking, itís a 4 month old puppy. Youíve had it two months, so it should be fully potty trained by now. Let it have the run of the house. Itíll stop barking as it matures.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGirl View Post
    Please do NOT use a bark collar on a puppy. I'm not against using one, I have one, I have used one, but Not On A Puppy, please....

The pup is afraid of being abandoned and literally dying when left. That is what happens in nature so he is calling out to you. It will take a while for him to understand that you always come back. And most little dogs take longer. In the meantime when you leave and come back do not make a big deal about it. It is very important for the pup to understand that you leaving him behind is a regular thing and and you always come back. but remember, do not make a big deal over him when you come back or when you leave. Just say ok we will be back puppy and go and when you return say hello puppy then ignore him for a few seconds before taking him out to potty.
    I donít think Iíd want to try a bark collar, but we have tried an electronic thing inside that supposedly makes a sound that dogs donít like whenever he barks. We tried all the different settings, but it didnít phase him.

Are you suggesting we nix the idea of treats when heís quiet for even a few seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by Homestyle View Post
    I leave the tv on for my dog when no one is home. It really helps with separation anxiety she has when we go somewhere without her. Being shut up in a alone space with nothing but silence is sad for dogs and pet birds. A dog barking is like talking is to people. They don't get tired of it.
    Yep, weíve tried tv, radio. Did you know there are some YouTube videos for just this purpose? Nope, didnít work.

Iím signing him up for puppy school in a couple weeks. Maybe that will help.

Heh - sorry, not buying it. If by ďbigger dogĒ, you mean a 15 pounder, then okay. As to the barking, itís a 4 month old puppy. Youíve had it two months, so it should be fully potty trained by now. Let it have the run of the house. Itíll stop barking as it matures.
    As I said to Cappy, heís doing very well with housebreaking but I donít think heís completely trustworthy yet.

He has had no accidents in 11 days!

Good lord bev! TWO MONTHS and not trustworthy? Hairy potty trained in ONE DAY, and when Hermione was a pup, she was done in 10 days. Not trying to be snarky here, but damn! Do you just make a half-hearted attempt at it? Give the dog the run of the house. It’ll stop barking. If you can’t trust it to hold its eliminations, make a concerted effort over the next three days to potty train it.

Shaking my head....

So, what I just said above, never mind.

He just peed in the kitchen.

Bev, do you know how to potty train a dog? Did he pee right in front of you? Did you catch him doing it? If so, what did you do?

Good lord bev! TWO MONTHS and not trustworthy? Hairy potty trained in ONE DAY, and when Hermione was a pup, she was done in 10 days. Not trying to be snarky here, but damn! Do you just make a half-hearted attempt at it? Give the dog the run of the house. Itíll stop barking. If you canít trust it to hold its eliminations, make a concerted effort over the next three days to potty train it.

Shaking my head....
    Not all of us have been fortunate enough to have perfect dogs, Dennis. Or older dogs to train our puppies.

Weíve been following the advice of our vet and multiple trainers online, taking him out every couple of hours at most, watching for behaviors that might tell us he needs to go out. Plus he goes out after meals, after playtimes, after naps. Weíve kept a notebook with the times he went out and what he did each time so we can learn his routine for pooping at least, and to be sure when to take him out again.

Heís never pooped in the house.

What else would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
    I was just looking for the "LIKE" button!

This is an excellent idea, they need to feel apart of something. V

Bev, do you know how to potty train a dog? Did he pee right in front of you? Did you catch him doing it? If so, what did you do?
    Yes. This is not our first puppy although it is our first ShihTzu.

No.

No.

I cleaned it up and used a cleaner for that purpose.

He had just finished playing with our GS, so I should have taken him out right after. As the experts say, it’s usually the owners fault, so I’ll own up to it.

Not all of us have been fortunate enough to have perfect dogs, Dennis. Or older dogs to train our puppies.

That’s a ridiculous statement. Aja didn’t show Hairy anything (I was just incredibly lucky), and Hermione was an only-dog when she came. I trained them by watching them every waking minute of the day until they had it figured out. One doesn’t need a notebook. One needs attention and discernment. (As a kid, I was never able to potty train a dog. Hermione was my first dog as an adult, and my first potty training success.)

I don’t think I’d want to try a bark collar, but we have tried an electronic thing inside that supposedly makes a sound that dogs don’t like whenever he barks. We tried all the different settings, but it didn’t phase him.

Are you suggesting we nix the idea of treats when he’s quiet for even a few seconds?
    I don't like constantly handing out treats. My rewards are more verbal and petting or tossing a ball or game of tug. Make him want to please you. When he is quiet say good boy.. softly in a low voice. If you use a high pitched voice you will excite him. Otherwise sounds like you are getting great advice. But when all is said and done you have a Shih tzu. Shih tzu bark. A lot. It will take a long time and a lot of Consistent
    training to get him not to bark on command. Their very nature is to alert and they take their job very seriously.

Addendum:

The following is entirely speculation on my part. Other folks much more well versed in doggie behavior can correct me if I’m wrong. The way I see it, potty training is going to be very difficult for you at this point, because you’ve let him pee inside for far too long without consequence. Had you taken care of it in the first week or two, IMO you wouldn’t be having this problem now.

For some reason the little dogs seem to be much harder to potty train than the larger breeds. I have yet to meet an average poodle that is completely house trained I clean one house with 5 little carpet pee-ers!
    Sherry in GA

Good lord bev! TWO MONTHS and not trustworthy? Hairy potty trained in ONE DAY, and when Hermione was a pup, she was done in 10 days. Not trying to be snarky here, but damn! Do you just make a half-hearted attempt at it? Give the dog the run of the house. It’ll stop barking. If you can’t trust it to hold its eliminations, make a concerted effort over the next three days to potty train it.

Shaking my head....
    Ist's a small dog, they're a PITA to house train.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions everyone.

I had no idea little dogs were harder to potty train. That explains my own failures as a kid. I only had little dogs until Hermione.

Owner has used a cage to good effect. When he or the missus leaves, the dog goes in its cage. Usually with a familiar toy or bedding.

At first, the puppy sleeps in the cage - this controls the need to relieve I guess and speeds the dog onto a "schedule."

Later the dog sleeps on the bed with them and ultimately gets under the covers. The cage remains as a "security spot" for the dog.

I sometimes wish I were a dog to get that "special" treatment - then I'm reminded of going down stairs. Owner's colonial house has a "winder" staircase in the front hall. So I guess that will never happen...

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego