Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Trauma medical kit (blowout kit) - Do you have one? - Know how/when to use it?

View Poll Results: Do you carry/have trauma medical kit(s)

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have one on my person whenever I step out of the house

6 9.38%
  • I keep a trauma medical kit in a vehicle/BOB/etc.

40 62.50%
  • I carry nothing specific but might be able to improvise

9 14.06%
  • I know basic first aid, but not sure about trauma medicine

14 21.88%
  • what is trauma medical help?

1 1.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I've NEVER seen a venomous snake bite, and I hope not to. There's got to be some benefit living in a place that averages 10 feet of snow annually!

But I've had two brown recluse bites, and I've seen several more. They're no fun! But if you apply a poultice made from activated charcoal (preferably moistened with lavender essential oil, but colloidal silver or plain water will work) as soon as possible, it turns it from a potential weeks-long ordeal to a minor nuisance.

My first bite wasn't noticed until probably 10 hours later when I woke from a deep sleep dreaming that I'd fallen with my hand in a campfire, and clawing frantically at the deep, intense itching. The bite was at the base of my ring finger on the top of the hand, and the hand was already swollen to the size of a softball. I used charcoal on it for a couple of days, replacing it with fresh every couple hours and keeping it moist, and by the third day the swelling was pretty well gone, and the bite site only had a small sore maybe 1/8" across. It took about 2 weeks to heal,

The second time, I figured out I'd been bitten within an hour or so, and applied charcoal and lavender immediately. It never swelled at all, the pain dissipated within 2 hours, and it never showed any tissue damage at the bite site.

Even a couple I saw in neighbors which weren't addressed until the bite site had an ooen sore the size of a quarter improved rapidly with charcoal (and comfrey and a hyaluronic acid gel I invented)

My point being... if I suffered a snake bite, if I had a suction kit, I'd use it, but I'd apply charcoal as quickly as possible. These days, I'd use the charcoal while on the way to the hospital, but I suspect that unless you were unlucky enough for the venom to be injected into a vein, charcoal might preclude the need for major hospital care, or at least reduce the severity of the symptoms. Fortunately, I'm never likely to find out!

Summerthyme

As to WHERE, you might start with the guys who are doing our fighting pistol and rif---- You ARE doing FIGHTING Rifle and pistol training, right??--- and ask them about "Immediate Action Medical" classes.

If done RIGHT these classes SHOULD teach you how to save your teammate after he/she stops a bullet.

After THAT, run the Red Cross Responding to Emergencies or Emergency responder (or whatever the hell they're calling their First Responder course that meets the DOT first Responder Curriculum.

After that, find a local EMT-A course FIRST and then you can hunt up a WEMT course. WEMT and EMT are different animals. EMT gives you some basics in anatomy and Physiology with some immediate interventions designed to get the vic to the hospital in 10-20 minutes or thereabouts.

WEMT is a MUCH longer "Time-to-Care" skillset.
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my brothers' children (and their parents) may have peace, and have NO KNOWLEDGE of what I have done."

The BEST in Life:
    To CRUSH your enemies.
    To see them driven before you
    To listen to the lamentations of their women

Thanks to all for references and ideas. I have much to learn.
    Don't start nuthin', then won't be nuthin'

Here’s the objective reality:

1) In order to use advanced lifesaving techniques and equipment, you need advanced training

2) Very few people have the available time (or inclination) to obtain that training

3) Unless it’s TEOTWAWKI or you’re way out in the piney woods, the patient will be going to the hospital, and EMTs will be taking care of his/her life support on the way

4) If it IS TEOTWAWKI, the patient is going to very probably die. If not from primary effects, then certainly from infection.

All the rest of this discussion is “sittin round the cracker barrel spinnin yarns”.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Here’s the objective reality:

4) If it IS TEOTWAWKI, the patient is going to very probably die. If not from primary effects, then certainly from infection.
    Pretty sure you haven't bothered to read The Book.

RR
    Survival and Austere Medicine: An Introduction - 2nd and 3rd Editions Contributing author and editor

Get your FREE copy of the 3rd edition here:NNPG Download Site

Reddit AustereMedicine/

Out-of-scope for this discussion.

Ummm, actually that book (all 614 and some pages) is dead center IN the scope of this discussion, sir.
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my brothers' children (and their parents) may have peace, and have NO KNOWLEDGE of what I have done."

The BEST in Life:
    To CRUSH your enemies.
    To see them driven before you
    To listen to the lamentations of their women

Okay, what “Book” are we talking about? Like most women, RR ASSUMES that I know, as do you. So why not let my poor, ignorant self in on it.

I think the one in his sig.

There is a thread on it here: http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...hlight=Austere
    Attached Images
    Last edited by 1911user; 05-16-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Most all major trauma ends in surgical intervention or a pine box. Any action between injury and surgical intervention is just minutes on the clock. Some actions will give you more minutes on the clock, but they are still gauged in minutes... not hours.
    We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth... For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it. --Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by IceWave View Post
    Israeli T3 bandages are nice to have in a kit as well.
    You bet! That was what DS used when he saved a GS victim his first day on the job after his police training. They are excellent additions to your kit.
    All that is gold does not glitter....