Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

POL Trump pushes background checks as huge majority favors tighter law
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Trump pushes background checks as huge majority favors tighter law

Trump pushes background checks as huge majority favors tighter law
    Howard Kurtz
    4-5 minutes

The tide may be turning on some gun control measures, at least in the court of public opinion.

But whether that tide rises to the halls of Congress, which has been famously deadlocked on the issue for a quarter century, is another question.

A Fox News poll found that “overwhelming and bipartisan majorities of voters” support background checks on gun buyers, as well as taking guns from people who could pose a danger.

The numbers are indeed overwhelming, in the wake of the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton.

For starters, 90 percent of those surveyed favor criminal background checks on all buyers, and 81 percent want “red flag” laws that allow police to seize guns from people shown to be a danger to themselves or others.

But even with President Trump expressing support for such measures, this is hardly a slam dunk.

That’s because many gun owners feel passionately about protecting their rights, and the clout of the NRA, even if it’s been diminished by internal warfare. By the time Congress returns in September, emotions may have cooled as other stories rise to the top of the agenda. And while this may be changing, many Democrats remain wary of touching this third rail, which is why Barack Obama and Joe Biden couldn’t pass gun control even with Democratic control of Congress.

Still, Trump told reporters that Mitch McConnell “wants to do background checks,” although the majority leader has committed only to examining the issue. And Trump has spoken to Sen. Chris Murphy, the Connecticut Democrat who has been a gun control crusader since the Sandy Hook massacre in his state.

If the president sticks with the issue, rather than drop it as he did after the Parkland high school shootings, there’s a good chance he could make something happen.

In the Fox survey, two-thirds also support a ban on assault rifles and semiautomatic weapons. But most of them are Democrats, although such a ban is backed by a majority of gun-owning households, and Republicans split 46-46 on the issue. A quarter century after the Clinton administration outlawed assault weapons, that one is unlikely to pass.

Who is to blame for the plague of mass shootings? Fifty-six percent blame easy access to guns, and an equal proportion blame lack of mental health services for mentally ill people with violent tendencies. Forty percent point the finger at expressions of white nationalism, and about a third blame sentiments expressed by Trump or anti-immigration sentiments. Twenty-three percent blame violent video games, and 15 percent rhetoric by Democratic leaders.

Then we come to the partisan divide. While Democrats most often blame easy access to guns (79 percent), white nationalism (62) and Trump (59), Republicans point to inadequate mental health services (60 percent) and bad parenting (54); just 32 percent fault easy access to guns.

On just about any other issue, 90 percent approval would translate into congressional action. But the politics of gun control have always been treacherous, and as even the most horrendous mass shooting—Las Vegas, Orlando, and so many others—fades into the past, Washington politicians find it easier not to act.

Footnote: The Fox poll gave President Trump a 43 percent approval rating, and found his disapproval rating jumped five points to 56 percent, one point below the record high in that survey.

Still, that keeps the president well within the range he’s been for a very long time, despite the controversies that continue to swirl around him.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/trump-...rs-tighter-law

Political suicide.

lose every gun owner sure vote to no vote

not one single inch

Molon labe

pound sand

arghh a plague on the whole uniparty, I declare it from my lips to God's Ears.
    Last edited by Dosadi; 08-16-2019 at 08:08 PM.
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

LOSE, not LOOSE (this being the opposite of tight)

Quote Originally Posted by Dosadi View Post
    Political suicide.

loose every gun owner sure vote to no vote

not one single inch

Molon labe

pound sand

arghh a plague on the whole uniparty, I declare it from my lips to God's Ears.
    Yes, they can all go pound sand. Or eat shit and die. Or stick it in their left ear.

Why aren't there people who actually have common sense and understand what they are proposing with this universal background check? If they'd get their noses out of those 'smart' phones, maybe they'd see what is really going on.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    — Robert Heinlein

Trump is being Trump. Do NOT get over-exercised until we see what he ACTUALLY does.

I remember he was going to war with NoKorea. TOMORROW!!!
    Except...

Quote Originally Posted by sunny225 View Post
    Why aren't there people who actually have common sense and understand what they are proposing with this universal background check?.
    They have the entire Democratic base, and a large portion of the female conservative base.

THIS is why there will be a CWII
    WARNING!!!

My use of pronouns will offend faggots, the mentally ill, and the gender confused.

huge majority favors tighter law
    If the above is accurate and not a contrived statistic that means a "huge majority" are uneducated on the issue...

I, truly, believe that Americans will end up getting just what they deserve...
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared
    "You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson
    "No man knows but that the last backward glance over his shoulder may be his last look, forever." - Ernie Pyle Born: 1900 KIA: 1945 Shima, Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by GammaRat View Post
    They have the entire Democratic base, and a large portion of the female conservative base.
    Yep. Seen it a lot lately with women I know. Recently one said, "The only thing I agree with liberals on is Universal Background Checks. Calm down, no one wants to take your guns!".

Any changed their mind on signing the white house petition I started?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    If the above is accurate and not a contrived statistic that means a "huge majority" are uneducated on the issue...

I, truly, believe that Americans will end up getting just what they deserve...
    This is exactly the problem and the result of a media that wants a false narrative to back their preferred result. I have to correct people everyday on these issues. Most think there is a huge loophole that if you go to a gunshow you buy without a check. In my experience, almost every gun show sale is from a licensed dealer with a check done. Very few private sellers and the odds of finding a private seller selling what you want to buy at a show are tiny. Similarly, they all think the assault weapons they want to ban are automatic, when they aren't.

Polls lie for the pollsters manipulate the questions and those that they poll....

The division in America is becoming so huge that it is approaching the point that it can not be mended....

Texican....

I have come to the conclusion that two out of every three Americans are either IGNORANT, in terms of being the mutant result of our globalist slave school system, or STUPID, which is biological and not reversible, and we will, as a nation, eventually vote ourselves into slavery. Finally, when I see a post that one half of the total American population don't even change their freaking underwear on a daily basis, I realize that our doom is upon us.

From all of this I have concluded that the American people are simply too stupid, or ignorant, to exercise political control of the American Republic.

Yep, a two week waiting period will come, sooner, rather than later. Further, it may take another 20 to 30 years, but guns will become culturally toxic, like smoking for example. The number of young people under 30 years of age who own a gun, use a gun and like guns is falling every year and will eventually vanish.

Face it, gang "gun support," is mostly, not completely, among old 50 years old plus types like us
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" is available for sale at the following url
    http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007BRLFYU

Quote Originally Posted by Doomer Doug View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that two out of every three Americans are either IGNORANT, in terms of being the mutant result of our globalist slave school system, or STUPID, which is biological and not reversible, and we will, as a nation, eventually vote ourselves into slavery. Finally, when I see a post that one half of the total American population don't even change their freaking underwear on a daily basis, I realize that our doom is upon us.

From all of this I have concluded that the American people are simply too stupid, or ignorant, to exercise political control of the American Republic.

Yep, a two week waiting period will come, sooner, rather than later. Further, it may take another 20 to 30 years, but guns will become culturally toxic, like smoking for example. The number of young people under 30 years of age who own a gun, use a gun and like guns is falling every year and will eventually vanish.

Face it, gang "gun support," is mostly, not completely, among old 50 years old plus types like us
    It won't take another 20 to 30 years.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    — Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by NHGUNNER View Post
    Yep. Seen it a lot lately with women I know. Recently one said, "The only thing I agree with liberals on is Universal Background Checks. Calm down, no one wants to take your guns!".
    How does she know that "no one" wants to take our guns? It certainly isn't from listening to the dims' rhetoric.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

Oh, for sure: all of Congress will all say nay...and I have some swampland in Florida for sale.
    https://safeg.net/home A Safe Alternative to Harmful 5G Wireless

Psalm 94:1 O Lord, the God of vengeance, O God of vengeance, let your glorious justice shine forth! 2 Arise, O Judge of the earth. Give the proud what they deserve. 3 How long, O Lord? How long will the wicked be allowed to gloat?

The gun shop I worked in 2 years ago catered to mostly a younger crowd, It was packed all the time (then again this is rural Nevada) so I don't buy the whole "Its just us 50 year olds who own guns" During the whole 2012 panic there were TONS of 20 somethings buying their first gun. They still have them. I see lots of them at our local open range areas where people shoot. Many here are forming up groups just in case of something going down, and there is open talk of flat out rebellion. Our county is now a "gun sanctuary county" and our sheriff has flat out said she wont be enforcing any new gun control coming out of Carson City.. so don't write it off just yet.
    Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security.

Quote Originally Posted by eXe View Post
    The gun shop I worked in 2 years ago catered to mostly a younger crowd, It was packed all the time (then again this is rural Nevada) so I don't buy the whole "Its just us 50 year olds who own guns" During the whole 2012 panic there were TONS of 20 somethings buying their first gun. They still have them. I see lots of them at our local open range areas where people shoot. Many here are forming up groups just in case of something going down, and there is open talk of flat out rebellion. Our county is now a "gun sanctuary county" and our sheriff has flat out said she wont be enforcing any new gun control coming out of Carson City.. so don't write it off just yet.

Not so sure about our county sheriff on new gun laws but it seems like 2/3 of the West Virginia population owns a firearm or two

If Trump keeps pushing this gun control new gun laws baloney it's all over for him, MAGA, and us.

HOW MANY Trump head fakes have we watched?

I'll reserve judgment right up to Nov 3, 2020.
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my brothers' children (and their parents) may have peace, and have NO KNOWLEDGE of what I have done."

The BEST in Life:
    To CRUSH your enemies.
    To see them driven before you
    To listen to the lamentations of their women

I suspect Trump is just talking and I'll wait to see what happens. Most likely he will offer something that won't be enough for the democrats and the issue will die until the next mass shooting. He will then use their threats of taking guns against them in 2020. Forget the polls. They are no longer remotely accurate. As someone else said, you can word polls to get any result you want. I'm sure most people don't want mentally ill people walking around with guns. The problem is, how to you define who is and isn't mentally ill? IMO none of the anchors on CNN or MSNBC should be allowed to own a gun because they are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I suspect Trump is just talking and I'll wait to see what happens. Most likely he will offer something that won't be enough for the democrats and the issue will die until the next mass shooting. He will then use their threats of taking guns against them in 2020. Forget the polls. They are no longer remotely accurate. As someone else said, you can word polls to get any result you want. I'm sure most people don't want mentally ill people walking around with guns. The problem is, how to you define who is and isn't mentally ill? IMO none of the anchors on CNN or MSNBC should be allowed to own a gun because they are crazy.
    Yes, we will all watch what Trump actually does. Instead of just listening to what he says.

That goes for the gun control crap, building the wall, locking her up and repealing Obamacare.
    — Robert Heinlein

With all respect, it was McStain who killed the Obamacare repeal out of personal animosity. The wall has also been stymied by the Marxists and never-Trumpers.

But I guess your own animosity toward Trump blinds you to objective reality. Feel free to vote for one of the Communists come next November.

I encourage you to check on how many miles over 50 have been completed already.
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my brothers' children (and their parents) may have peace, and have NO KNOWLEDGE of what I have done."

The BEST in Life:
    To CRUSH your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    I encourage you to check on how many miles over 50 have been completed already.
    Don't tell me this crap! If any of it was done already, Trump would have already been there with camera crews to boast about it. I've not seen him down there doing that. Have you?

As to voting for a commie bastard, no, I'll not do that. But I won't vote for Trump either if he follows through on signing any new gun laws.
    — Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    With all respect, it was McStain who killed the Obamacare repeal out of personal animosity. The wall has also been stymied by the Marxists and never-Trumpers.

But I guess your own animosity toward Trump blinds you to objective reality. Feel free to vote for one of the Communists come next November.
    Yes that is the big picture, the one thing we must keep in mind.
    Hwćt! Wé Gárdena in géardagum ţéodcyninga ţrym gefrúnon· hú đá ćţelingas ellen fremedon. - Listen! We of the Spear-Danes in the days of yore, of those clan-kings heard of their glory. How the worthy princes performed courageous deeds!

8 kinda puzzled as to more background checks,

they already have it, try to buy a gun from a dealer, aint happening,

, as to peer to peer, they will never stop that part from happening, seems everyone is hollering about something they already have,

but are too stupid to see,

and as to the red flag laws, guess that's what was tried on me right after Indiana passed it a while back, by my worthless ex soninlaw, and idiot casa(court appointed special advocate) jerk, and the only thing that did save me was the judge who was pro 2nd called a hearing first,and he did get a judgement against them but in my opinion not near enough money to make it hurt them,
    guess Indiana had it abused right away, but the lawmakers were too stupid to realize it would happen, still needs a 5 to 10yr penalty for those who make false filings,
    If heaven is gained by merit your dog will get in before youť Mark Twain

."so, what are your plans to take away guns from the criminals?"

.If LE and the Gov can’t disarm bad guys now, what makes them think they can just because another law is passed.

Quote Originally Posted by naegling62 View Post
    Yes that is the big picture, the one thing we must keep in mind.
    Indeed. What’s so funny to me (in a wry sort of way) is how the trump-haters on TB seem to think that he, a SINGLE PERSON, has the power to do ANYTHING HE WANTS, IN ANY TIME-FRAME HE WANTS. They absolutely WILL NOT SEE (not “cannot see”) that his powers are actually quite limited. I’ve said over a dozen times now that these people expect nothing less than Trump running through the halls of power with a flame thrower, LITERALLY burning alive those who stand in his way. Though they won’t come out and admit it, it is in fact their expectation.

And when he doesn’t do that, they castigate him unmercifully. Here’s a hint kiddies: if that’s what you really want, and if you’re unhappy with Trump’s apparent slow pace, strap on that flame thrower and head to DC. Stop bitching and bear a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by cooter View Post
    they already have it, try to buy a gun from a dealer, aint happening,

, as to peer to peer, they will never stop that part from happening, seems everyone is hollering about something they already have,

but are too stupid to see,

and as to the red flag laws, guess that's what was tried on me right after Indiana passed it a while back, by my worthless ex soninlaw, and idiot casa(court appointed special advocate) jerk, and the only thing that did save me was the judge who was pro 2nd called a hearing first,and he did get a judgement against them but in my opinion not near enough money to make it hurt them,
    guess Indiana had it abused right away, but the lawmakers were too stupid to realize it would happen, still needs a 5 to 10yr penalty for those who make false filings,
    The "universal background check" would outlaw private sales and allow open access to LEA's of your medical history.

Private sales can never be successfully outlawed. If I know Frank personally, and if Frank needs a gun that I own and want to ell, I’ll sell it to him. Screw the government.

What this will do however, is stop anonymous private sales between strangers. Bear in mind that except for Sandy Hook, all shooters got their guns legally from gun stores.

Indeed. What’s so funny to me (in a wry sort of way) is how the trump-haters on TB seem to think that he, a SINGLE PERSON, has the power to do ANYTHING HE WANTS, IN ANY TIME-FRAME HE WANTS. They absolutely WILL NOT SEE (not “cannot see”) that his powers are actually quite limited. I’ve said over a dozen times now that these people expect nothing less than Trump running through the halls of power with a flame thrower, LITERALLY burning alive those who stand in his way. Though they won’t come out and admit it, it is in fact their expectation.

And when he doesn’t do that, they castigate him unmercifully. Here’s a hint kiddies: if that’s what you really want, and if you’re unhappy with Trump’s apparent slow pace, strap on that flame thrower and head to DC. Stop bitching and bear a hand.
    Trump is the one who signs bills into law. He can always NOT sign the crappy ones, can't he? But he signs them anyway. Oh, it's because he's not a dictator.

Why does he continue to sign bills that are full of money for the Marxist projects but nothing for us deplorables? Have you got an answer to that?
    — Robert Heinlein

Feel free to call the Whitehouse and demand an answer.

IF you get one, that answer AND your response should be HIGHLY entertaining!!
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

The BEST in Life:
    To CRUSH your enemies.

And he can tell us, as soon as the USSS lets him out of jail.

Yeah except...

I didnt say drain the swamp...he did.

I didnt say build the wall...he did

I didnt say lock her up....he did

I didnt say Mexico will pay for the wall...he did

I didnt say take away the guns, then do due process ... he did

I didnt say ban bump stocks...he did

I didnt say add a shitload of debt...he did

I certainly didnt say universal background check...he did.

The list goes on.

To say that I OR ANYONE ELSE should then vote for one of the commies running is a load of shit. Obviously that is NOT what anyone wants who has a friggin problem with him going along with this shit.

Are we wrong to ask that he keep his word and stop joining hands with the commie ****s and disarm us ?

Wrong to ask? Absolutely not!

Just take the whiny little bitch stuff someplace else.

Wrong to ask? Absolutely not!

Just take the whiny little bitch stuff someplace else.
    How is ANY of that whiny little bitch stuff ?

Quote Originally Posted by petedtom View Post
    How is ANY of that whiny little bitch stuff ?
    Cause Dennis says so, that's how!!!

When folks demand accountability from politicians, it has to be whining cause ….. well, you just ain't supposed to do it to Trump. Don't you get it yet?
    — Robert Heinlein

Oh, good God...

Here we go, again...

*Ragnarok shows himself to the door*

I don't understand why criticism of Trump always devolves into these same types of comments... ALWAYS...

The man makes mistakes... Doesn't mean we hate him.

The man does some really good things... Doesn't mean we worship at the altar of TRUMP.

I really like political discussions and debate but we just can't seem to have those anymore...
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared
    "You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson
    "No man knows but that the last backward glance over his shoulder may be his last look, forever." - Ernie Pyle Born: 1900 KIA: 1945 Shima, Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by sunny225 View Post
    Cause Dennis says so, that's how!!!

When folks demand accountability from politicians, it has to be whining cause ….. well, you just ain't supposed to do it to Trump. Don't you get it yet?
    I know...amazing. When some do not have a good position to stand on they resort to personal attacks.

Your right Rag, it always ends up that way. But here’s why. (There are actually two main reasons, outlined below):

First, The is like a toggle switch when a given person (I’ll use DD as an example) talk about Trump. The person will go along for awhile like, “I just love what Trump is doing; he’s really sticking it to those commie bastards.” Then, without warning (or seeming reason), the switch gets toggled and it’s “I hate that weasel bastard. The commies are taking total advantage of him, and we’re going to be screwed over!!” This is often accompanied by

Second, they’ll talk about how he (Trump) hasn’t done ANYTHING he said he was going to! And then they list off stuff that he absolutely can’t do alone, or that his own party screwed him on, or some other reason. They EXPECT AND DEMAND that Trump ignore all court rulings, existing laws, or anything else, and DO THE TASK PERSONALLY.

It is impossible to hold a rational conversation with those who engage in these behaviors. It’s like trying to talk calmly to a newly pubescent teen girl. You don’t know where the mood will swing or what response you’ll get from one moment to the next. So ultimately, we throw our hands in the air and walk away, shaking our heads and mumbling to ourselves. And if that makes you do the “toddler walk” out of the room, it’s your own damned fault.