Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

VIDEO HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY ONE AND ALL!
+ Reply to Thread

7 HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY ONE AND ALL!

'Tis the finest of days when we all can be Irish for a wee bit o time!

Goddesses of Bagpipe - "Shipping Up To Boston/Enter Sandman" - Bagpipe Cover

(R/T 4:32)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXm8JdC4k4c
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    Happy St. Patricks Day to one all as well!!!

Though I'm mad at Ireland right now for allowing abortion, I do honor their Patron Saint and pray for them.

SAINT PATRICK

St. Patrick of Ireland is one of the world's most popular saints. He was born in Roman Britain and when he was fourteen or so, he was captured by Irish pirates during a raiding party and taken to Ireland as a slave to herd and tend sheep. At the time, Ireland was a land of Druids and pagans but Patrick turned to God and wrote his memoir, The Confession. In The Confession, he wrote:

"The love of God and his fear grew in me more and more, as did the faith, and my soul was rosed, so that, in a single day, I have said as many as a hundred prayers and in the night, nearly the same. I prayed in the woods and on the mountain, even before dawn. I felt no hurt from the snow or ice or rain."

Patrick's captivity lasted until he was twenty, when he escaped after having a dream from God in which he was told to leave Ireland by going to the coast. There he found some sailors who took him back to Britain and was reunited with his family.

A few years after returning home, Patrick saw a vision he described in his memoir:

"I saw a man coming, as it were from Ireland. His name was Victoricus, and he carried many letters, and he gave me one of them. I read the heading: 'The Voice of the Irish.' As I began the letter, I imagined in that moment that I heard the voice of those very people who were near the wood of Foclut, which is beside the western sea-and they cried out, as with one voice: 'We appeal to you, holy servant boy, to come and walk among us.'"

The vision prompted his studies for the priesthood. He was ordained by St. Germanus, the Bishop of Auxerre, whom he had studied under for years, and was later ordained a bishop and sent to take the Gospel to Ireland.

Patrick arrived in Slane, Ireland on March 25, 433. There are several legends about what happened next, with the most prominent claiming he met the chieftan of one of the druid tribes, who tried to kill him. After an intervention from God, Patrick was able to convert the chieftain and preach the Gospel throughout Ireland. There, he converted many people -eventually thousands - and he began building churches across the country.

He often used shamrocks to explain the Holy Trinity and entire kingdoms were eventually converted to Christianity after hearing Patrick's message.

Patrick preached and converted all of Ireland for 40 years. He worked many miracles and wrote of his love for God in Confessions. After years of living in poverty, traveling and enduring much suffering he died March 17, 461.

He died at Saul, where he had built the first Irish church. He is believed to be buried in Down Cathedral, Downpatrick. His grave was marked in 1990 with a granite stone.

In His Footsteps:

Patrick was a humble, pious, gentle man, whose love and total devotion to and trust in God should be a shining example to each of us. So complete was his trust in God, and of the importance of his mission, he feared nothing -not even death.

"The Breastplate," Patrick's poem of faith and trust in God:

"Christ be within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ inquired, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger."
    Attached Images

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." ~ Frederic Bastiilt

"Duty is ours; results are God's."

Yay! Happy St. Patrick's Day to all of us Irish and to the wanna-bee's as well. Thanks Grandma Carrie for the green blood.

(Also, a belated Happy St. Urho's Day to all the Finlanders out there. Purple and Green rule!)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    'Tis the finest of days when we all can be Irish for a wee bit o time!

Goddesses of Bagpipe - "Shipping Up To Boston/Enter Sandman" - Bagpipe Cover

(R/T 4:32)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXm8JdC4k4c
    Excellent pipes!

10 Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone!

I'm surprised that nobody has posted this yet.

It's A BIG DEAL in Buffalo, especially South Buffalo. We actually have two Parades every year.

What are your plans for today?

Michael

For anyone curious about this celebration, here is a link:

https://www.history.com/topics/st-patricks-day

My wife is half Irish...Flanigan, so Irish beers, corned beef, cabbage, carrots and potatoes for dinner. Had a walk in the woods this morning. Maybe see a little college basketball on the tube this afternoon.

Last edited by Bumblepuff; 03-17-2019 at 03:25 PM.

One thing that makes me sad this year is that NO over-the-air public channels---NONE--are showing "The Quiet Man" (John Wayne's Irish film, actually filmed in Ireland) this year.

That's been a St. Paddy's tradition on TV as long as I can remember--from childhood.

But---I guess given the outrage at Christmas over "Baby, It's Cold Outside" being somehow a song that was promoting sex over a woman's protests against it (at least that's how the libs interpreted it), there's NO WAY the networks were going to allow a film that showed Maureen O'Hara being administered a swift kick to the butt, dragged on the ground by her coat collar, and having an Irish village-women offer John Wayne (her husband in the movie) a "stout stick to beat the lovely lady with."

Even though--as I learned in high school when we discussed the short story "The Quiet Man" on which the movie was based, that such treatment of women was held to be quite "normal" in THAT era of history.

But by all means, let's wipe out of existence everything we don't approve of...."those who don't remember history..." etc.
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Last edited by Bumblepuff; 03-17-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelteever View Post
    I'm surprised that nobody has posted this yet.

They did. It's already dropped to the second page.

Threads Merged
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

Quote Originally Posted by michaelteever View Post

What are your plans for today?

Michael

One word: Guinness.

Mucho thanks, I actually did an advanced search and the only reference I found was from last year. Oh Well, thanks for merge.

Michael

This is the stained glass window of St. Patrick from the next village over

Also, remember today is also St. Gertrude's Day - Patron Saint of Cats
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    One word: Guinness.

That works...I imagine many, many kegs will run dry by the end of the day.

Happy St Patick’s Day indeed!
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    Robert Heinlein

THIS is probably why they're not showing "The Quiet Man" on TV any more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv6l8c34s0Y

Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    This is the stained glass window of St. Patrick from the next village over

Also, remember today is also St. Gertrude's Day - Patron Saint of Cats
    Fad saol agat, gob fliuch, agus bás in Éirinn!

Christianity is the estranged descendent of a bizarre Jewish apocalyptic cult.

Kein Krieg für Israel!

I'm married to an Irishman today it's cabbage, potatoes, corn beef brisket and black eyed peas (I threw those in just because I love them!) No beer for him today though because he's leaving for work.
    Happy St. Patty's Day!
    I once was blind but now I see!...
    Acts 9:11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”

Jump Around!

House of Pain - "Jump Around"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhzpxjuwZy0

And my favorite every year

expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

I would remind you the extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! Also let me remind you that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue. Barry Goldwater

There comes a time when even the common man must spit on his hands, raise the black flag and begin slitting throats. H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post
    THIS is probably why they're not showing "The Quiet Man" on TV any more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv6l8c34s0Y

What a lovely memory reminder and yes, that is why they don't show it anymore. (Much to the loss for our youth and sense of humor. Being PC is so sterile. )

The Quiet Man is on tonight on TCM 8pm eastern
    I would remind you the extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! Also let me remind you that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue. Barry Goldwater

There comes a time when even the common man must spit on his hands, raise the black flag and begin slitting throats. H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by petedtom View Post
    The Quiet Man is on tonight on TCM 8pm eastern
    Thank you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Terriannie View Post
    Thank you!!!!
    My pleasure, a big favorite of mine as well.

It was on about 3 weeks ago or so as well.

Quote Originally Posted by petedtom View Post
    My pleasure, a big favorite of mine as well.

It was on about 3 weeks ago or so as well.
    Well, I enjoyed it thoroughly and even talked my ESPN sports hubby to watch it with me, which was a feat in of itself!!! LOL!

So glad that movie slipped by the PC police at least one more time.

They DID show it last year on one of the over-the-air stations, because I remember my whole family watching it.

Not this year, however, except on cable---which I still don't have and REFUSE to have.

My Irish intuition nudged me away from the Irish Town Pub on the working lunch hour tonight. I’m doing Italian up the street. An Angus Burger, hold the fries, see you next quarter.

By the way, this is the same restaurant I sat in on election night 2016. Some of oh bam ma’s kids discussing the delicate 1st amendment. If I ordered a hot dog, I could hang around and relish their insights. Instead I’m going to leave.

Well, I enjoyed it thoroughly and even talked my ESPN sports hubby to watch it with me, which was a feat in of itself!!! LOL!

Hope it does again, I've not seen it and was late to the thread.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post
    They DID show it last year on one of the over-the-air stations, because I remember my whole family watching it.

Not this year, however, except on cable---which I still don't have and REFUSE to have.
    Just in case , you can buy the dvd and watch it anytime you like

[I will leave this post up since it has several topics but I just saw there is a thread about the stampede deaths in Northern Ireland so in future I will post updates on the other thread]

Well the happy news from here is about 1/2 the Irish Population (about 2 million people) showed up to watch parades, my housemate decided not to march with her Karate club because the weather was getting so cold (sunshine mixed with bitter winds and bouts of freezing rain) our nearest town and village were all decked out though even at 10am.

The bad news is from Northern Ireland, thankfully not terrorism either Jihadi or Para-military but this is rocking both sides of the border this morning.

Three very young teenagers were killed (one must have just died in the last few minutes from injuries) when a teenage disco (aka party for under 18s with chaperones and no booze) had a stampeded (not sure why yet) and they were crushed to death.

This has kind of put a damper on things and turned the local mood somber but yesterday itself the huge parade in Dublin showed that Ireland is managing to do what it set out to do about 10 years ago which was to try and make St. Patrick's Day in Ireland similar to what Scotland managed for New Years - a hot tourist festival spot.

When we moved here 23 or so years ago, the parades even in Dublin tended to be "delightfully amateur" (which I kind of miss)with tractors carrying vacuum cleaners from the local hardware shop or decorated washing machines on a pony cart with green ribbons.

The local parades (like the one we skipped yesterday) still tend to be like that but the ones in the cities are professional productions, someday I want to go to the one in Galway which usually sticks to a kind of Romantic/Celtic theme whereas Dublin goes more for "international parade."

Here is the article:
    Three dead following reported 'crush' at disco in Co Tyrone
    Updated / Monday, 18 Mar 2019 09:35
    Police at the entrance of the Greenvale Hotel in Cookstown last night
    Police at the entrance of the Greenvale Hotel in Cookstown last night
    The PSNI has confirmed that three young people have died following reports of a crush as people tried to get into a St Patrick's Day disco in Cookstown, Co Tyrone.

Police said two 17-year-olds and one 16-year-old had died in the incident at the Greenvale Hotel.

PSNI Assistant Chief Constable Mark Hamilton confirmed the three teenagers who died were a 17-year-old girl, a 17-year-old boy and a 16-year-old boy.

A 16-year-old girl is in a stable condition in hospital, while a further two teenagers were treated for injuries they suffered during the incident.

Speaking at the scene this morning, Mr Hamilton said that "preliminary investigations show there was a crush towards the front door of this hotel.

"There looks like there was a large crowd of young people pushing up against the hotel."

PSNI Assistant Chief Constable Mark Hamilton speaks at the scene
    "People then seem to have fallen and then got crushed. I would urge you to use that with some caution. Certainly it appears to be at the minute a crush, people have fallen and then been fatally injured.

"We are continuing to interview people who were there to establish the full facts and I would appeal to anyone who witnessed what happened to contact police on 101 ext 52014.

"We need parents to talk to their children this morning and encourage them to come and tell us what happened. Please do not post photographs or videos online. Please share them with the PSNI."

He made a direct appeal for people with footage of the incident to hand it to police, rather than post it on social media.

The incident at the Greenvale Hotel on Drum Road happened at about 9.30pm last night.

Earlier, the PSNI had called on parents to contact their children at the disco and to come and collect them immediately.

Paramedics, doctors and five emergency crews attended the scene.

Police have commenced a full investigation into the incident.

Arlene Foster

@DUPleader
    Thoughts and prayers with everyone impacted by this tonight.

Belfast Telegraph

@BelTel
    Breaking: Police 'dealing with incident' at Greenvale Hotel in Cookstownhttps://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/police-dealing-with-incident-at-greenvale-hotel-in-cookstown-37924471.html …

View image on Twitter
    11:25 PM - Mar 17, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    33 people are talking about this
    Democratic Unionist Party leader Arlene Foster tweeted that her "thoughts and prayers" were "with everyone impacted by this tonight".

And Sinn Féin deputy leader Michelle O'Neill called it a "parent's worst nightmare".

"My thoughts and prayers are with the families," she added.

Former Democratic Unionist MP for South Antrim William McCrea said: "We've got to see what lessons can be learned from this tragedy.

"I drove past this 10 minutes before it happened, not knowing that 10 minutes later an absolute tragedy would happen.

"The people that I've spoken to, they're very shocked. It's a close-knit community."

Michelle O’Neill

@moneillsf
    Heartbreaking news coming from Cookstown tonight. A parents worst nightmare. My thoughts and prayers are with the families x

12:20 AM - Mar 18, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    82 people are talking about this
    Northern Ireland Secretary Karen Bradley said: "I am deeply sorry to hear that three young people tragically lost their lives at a hotel in Cookstown. They were joining others in what should have been an evening for celebration.

"My thoughts and prayers are with their families and friends at this extremely difficult time.

"I have spoken this morning to ACC Mark Hamilton, of the PSNI, who is leading the investigation alongside the Health and Safety Executive, and I asked to be kept updated.

"I want to thank the police, ambulance and fire services for all that they did last night in responding to this incident."
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0318/10...sh-fatalaties/
    Last edited by Melodi; 03-18-2019 at 05:34 AM.