Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PREP Time To Get Your Mind Right
+ Reply to Thread

Time To Get Your Mind Right

Mindset, Skillset, Toolset Ö
    ================

http://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/...ind-right.html

Get Your Mind Right

You're leaving a million-dollar resource untapped if you're skipping the sort of things the folks in Meatspace Training Opportunities are putting out.

The in-person classes from one and all are probably a bargain at twice the price, and all full of needful things, no matter who you are nor where you are.

Mosby (aka MountainGuerrilla) has been putting out five-star advice, as usual, when he takes the time. Lately on fieldcraft, but pretty much if he says it, you can take it to the bank, and count on your thumbs the number of times you'll be disappointed or steered wrong.

Jason Hanson (at Spy Escape & Evasion) chisels away every day at stupidity and ignorance, and provides simple, everyday suggestions about how and why you can improve your own situational awareness and situational preparedness for things that could and do happen every day. You don't live in Mayberry, and it's not 1950 anymore.

And the latest public podcast from "Sam Culper" at Forward Observer is worth every minute of your time, like the other education he gives gratis, and as the courses he charges for are.
    Set aside half an hour, and pay attention to the pearls he's dropping on the ground for any that notice. He says, in so many paraphrased words:

Imagine what you'd do if you woke up tomorrow and the power was out, cell service was inoperative, the internet was down, and it didn't look like any of it was coming back any time soon. An Area Study gives you intelligence about the things that will affect you most, immediately and locally. Intelligence analysis isn't to predict the future; its purpose is to reduce uncertainty about what's likely and what's unlikely. You should prepare for the follow-on, second- and third-order effects that are going to occur locally.

Stop worrying about the colossal monster catastrophes, like SMOD or the eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera. A relay tripping in New England blacked out a dozen states, and that was quite catastrophic enough.

And pay attention to the concept of second- and third-order effects.

First order effect
    The power is out.

Second order effects
    The food in the freezer will defrost, and what's in the refrigerator too, and they'll spoil.
    ATMs don't work.
    Power-driven communications like the internet are gone.
    Gasoline stations cannot pump fuel.
    A/C and stoves that require electricity won't work.
    Traffic lights are out.
    TV and radio stations, hospitals, and emergency response dispatch are running on back-up generators, for a few days.
    Pumps don't work, so water supply and sewage will fail.

Third order effects
    Fresh food will dwindle, become scarce, and run out.
    Traffic will be horrific.
    Emergency services will be crippled.
    Cash on hand will be all there is, because EBT card and debit card balances cannot be processed, even at your local bank.
    Medieval disease outbreaks from lack of cleanliness and sanitation we now take for granted will become far more likely.

And that's just from a power failure.

You can keep stacking up the dominoes, but even someone as thick as a bag of hammers will begin to realize in short order this is a bad day, an even worse week, and if it lasts as long as a month, things will be well past the stage best described as "sporty" anywhere such a situation is a rare occurence.

Look ahead, and plan based upon what you can see, and foresee.

The time will come when these preparedness resources you have access to now will be unavailable, and it will be too late then to redeem the time you've wasted. So don't. You don't have to live and breathe beating drums of war, but set aside an hour, an afternoon, or a weekend or two, to learn some things you don't know, and start you thinking along paths through an unknown future from a fresh perspective foreign to your experience and ways of thinking. It could save your life, or the lives of your family, whether in a small local disaster, or in much more ominous and widespread circumstances.

That's part of what we mean when we commend to you to "get your mind right".

Do it.

Posted by Aesop at 3:46 AM 2 comments:
    Labels: Coming Attractions, preparedness
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

This is why I have a bedroom full of Mountain House Freeze Dried and a Fresh Water Creek on the property, with a propane heater to heat the water.
    JOHN 3:16 / John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you FREE.

Good article... brief.

Remember this:

In order to just run a reliable 24/7/365 sentry (one man) requires a minimum of 5 men. This to accommodate "annual leave, sick leave and unforeseen."

This brings up some good points. Once power goes out, along with all comms, when do you decide to cook and eat your freezer rather than continue to use irreplaceable fuel which you will need later to run your well pump? How far will you drive to get past the outage and find a working gas station?
    We live in the country, but still close to easily get to any store. Couple of times a year some bozo takes out a power pole and we’re down for 2-8 hours. If needed, I could drive for more gas as long as there’s not an area-wide outage.
    Last edited by Profit of Doom; 03-16-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Itís a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Thanks for posting this, Doz. We need more articles like this, not less. I fear that a lot of folks have become complacent where their personal prepping/survival skills goes. And don't forget......Practice, Practice, then Practice some more.
    Sherree

Personal is good - as far as it goes. Family/friends is good, if the family/friends is a large enough group to keep up with everything. Beyond family - what do you do if you don't have enough bodies to get all the work done?

Even if you have enough family/friends (rare), you will have to factor in doing a lot more stuff by hand. "Labor intensive" has gone out of living memory for most people. No more electric, no more fossil fuel, no more lots of stuff.

Even standing sentry/watchman duty 24/7/365 will eat up a LOT of someone's time, but will be necessary. People will learn again why small boys were employed at animal herding, and girls shooing birds out of crops etc. Everyone who was able worked at something productive. Pretty much all daylight hours.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Great idea. Also, here's a perfect example: I came down with the flu, at mid 60's, it was devastating...haven't been that sick in 30 years and my age made it that much worse. The two men here have their chores and then had to take up all mine for over 10 days that I was in bed, sick as a dog. It put a strain on them both. My 93 year old dad can't do much but we love him anyway... ...it was good that the gardens hadn't been put in yet as it would have been even worse for my dh and son...I was that sick!
    So take all that and throw in the shtf scenario...we would not have fared well, and we all admit it. Was a real eye opener for us all...security here would have been nil to nothing, two out of four people useless...well, you get the picture.

Wise advice in the OP...I, for one, will be more attentive to posts like this. It stirs up all sorts of things I really never gave too much thought about, so thank you Dozdoats, much appreciated.
    Once you master people by force you depend on force for control.

Better to be an hour early than one minute late.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think" Adolph Hitler

As far as other skills to acquire, OnPoint Tactical offers a superb off-grid medicine class.

The following is a review I wrote about the course that was posted on Survivalblog. (Hope it's ok to do that.)

OnPoint Tactical’s off-grid medicine course is not your typical first aid class. It’s not EMT school. I mean no disrespect towards them at all, but those first responder classes are like baby aspirin. What Dr. Steve provides is more like dilaudid or fentanyl. (No, he does not sell these or tell us how to get them. It’s just for comparison between the types of courses. However, there does seem to be the possibility of developing an addiction of sorts. Three of the people from the February class repeated the August class and brought family members with them.)

A Special Forces Battalion surgeon, University of Utah Medical School faculty member, Utah Emergency Physician of the Year, paramedic– the list goes on. This is Dr. Steve Pehrson, the man behind OnPoint Tactical’s Off-Grid Medicine course. The list of credentials might be as intimidating as it is impressive and could scare some potential students away. However, what isn’t mentioned in his biography and course description is that Dr. Steve Pehrson is this kind of cuddly-looking grandpa with a great sense of humor and surprising lack of the God-complex that seems to afflict some doctors.

When asked what he likes to do for fun he replied, “Teach this class.” It must be true because Steve starts at 8:00 to 8:30, and he’s usually still going strong 12 hours later. Then he’s ready to start again the next morning! And the students are, too.

Dr. Steve somehow provides simple explanations of complex anatomical and physiological processes and chemistry. (If I’d had him as a professor in college, I might have followed through with the original plan of studying medicine.) But familiarity with medicine is definitely not a prerequisite. In fact, in the two classes I have attended, there has only been one person in each class with any formal training in medicine. The rest have been regular people—student, pilot, wilderness guide, computer guy, homeschool mom, et cetera. And while Steve’s experience includes extensive time treating people all over the world during humanitarian missions, as well as treating weekend warriors in the emergency room, parents too will benefit greatly from this class. This is because in addition to everything else Steve is also a family physician.

Before class, Steve emails links to lectures and articles to be reviewed prior to the start of class. This advance class material allows more hands-on time. He tailors each class to the students. It is slightly different each time based on what worked in previous classes and the desires of the students. This course is designed for people who want to be prepared for a time when there is no doctor or other medical care available to be able to handle broken bones, disease, serious wounds and blood loss, and other acute and chronic conditions, ranging from infants to the elderly. At the start of class, Steve provides a binder of copies of almost every slide used in his presentation with space for note-taking.

Doctor Steve is not actually teaching brain surgery. He does show what you can do to save a person’s life and quality of life by means of suturing, splinting, anesthesia, supply acquisition, and other skills. He tries to help students accept that there are going to be deaths because the technology we take for granted today will someday disappear. Students are taught how to manage modern medical issues without modern technology, without resupply, and at the same time how to address the communicable diseases that most doctors have never even seen. And because modern medicine isn’t always going to be here, and neither is our pharmaceutical industry, Steve also shares his personal experiences with the use of herbal medicines or brings in other experts in that field.

The vast majority of that 1-2% of the population who prepares for TEOTWAWKI does so at the baby aspirin level. They may have some OTC meds and antibiotics, some sutures, and maybe a surgical kit. Dr. Steve educates you on how to use those tools in your surgical kit and what else you are going to want to have and be able to use. Let’s face it. We know what’s coming, and baby aspirin ain’t gonna cut it. [end of review]

The next course is in July and is $995. My oldest daughter and I drove about a 1,000 miles (one way) to attend this class in February of last year. It was so good that we went to the same class in August (at least we didn't have to travel as far), and brought my husband with us. (And another one of the previous class's members did the same, bringing his son with him.)

If you decide to consider this class, don't be put off by the website (onpointtactical.com). I find it really a hassle to navigate through.

Disclaimer: I have not and do not receive any compensation for this. It's just an excellent class.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze View Post
    Thanks for posting this, Doz. We need more articles like this, not less. I fear that a lot of folks have become complacent where their personal prepping/survival skills goes. And don't forget......Practice, Practice, then Practice some more.
    You know we have an entire subforum for preps?

I lived through the Auckland black out of 6 weeks. Of all the prepping talk, something that becomes a priority really quickly- morning coffee. Sometime when addressing the bigger issues we can miss some of the important small ones.
    Tiger

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8:38-39

Well, you will get no argument from me. I've buckled down again lately and have been spending closer to four or five hours a day extracting info and refining skills. I joke about my master list of the DOOOM notebook but I really have one. Chances are, if you've dropped the name of a good book, reference, tool or technique in any way related to the three billion and four things I m currently interested in, you've made my book

This link will make it, too. Thanks to all my professors round here. I couldn't begin to pay you what you're worth.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.
    She couldn't keep her colors inside the lines, so she drew new lines.

If you're planning to hunt game for food in a true grid down situation...get a pellet rifle and lots of pellets...and learn how to use it. Believe me, hitting your target, out in the real world and not in a closed in shooting range, is far different than with a 'full-fledged' gun. And why a pellet rifle? First they're a lot more silent than a 'controlled explosion' gun. Second, everybody else will be hunting the big game and the big game will leave the area or start hiding a heck of a lot better than they do now. So, all that will be left is small game, like squirrels and rabbits. Deer and such large game can go days before they have to eat; small game *has* to eat several times a day...so they'll be out foraging. Small game will be completely eaten before it can spoil...not so with large game...and spoiled food can be deadly.
    You say "trigger-happy cowboy" as if it were a bad thing.

"If they come a'huntin' me; they can consider themselves lucky if they*don't* find me!"

No surrender; no retreat!

If we fight, victory is not certain. If we do not fight, defeat surely is.

I lived under a "grid down" for six months straight after a major hurricane outside country. After some time, only small sections were restored. That was 24 years ago. It was a very interesting experience. I experienced it all. Crime and theft, the best and worse in people, the slackers and takers, the git'er done types, disagreements, laziness, selfishness, greedy people, the constant complaining, the stupidity, the mentally unstable unable to deal with the new conditions, the total screw-ups, I can go on and on. Morons cut communications lines with chainsaws to clear roads. It took forever to restore landline communications as a result. It all had to be re-spliced by stateside crews.

Water was provided by cisterns, so we had that going for us. We prepared the cistern before hand. But many cisterns were contaminated with salt water and therefore not useable. Then, gradually Break Bone fever set in (Dengue fever). I was lucky I stored up repellent.

Dealing with other people was the major problem. Whites were more civilized and wanted to make life better. The blacks caused most of the problems and complained endlessly. They committed 98% of post storm crime.

I witnessed countless heated arguments and fights over generator noise from those running the sets all night long, keeping others awake. Things that were bolted down were stolen. The people were the worst problem to deal with. Some could stand on line, while others cut ahead and fights broke out.

Those who had stored water, food, a radio for news and entertainment and could IMPROVISE and ADAPT were the most secure and successful. Learn to make good with what you have and improvise!!

I was NOT considered a prepper back then, but it made me one today. You have to make the most out of the situation. You have to have forms of entertainment to deal with 6pm to 7am curfew and movement restrictions. Security is a big deal. Lucky we did not have roving bands of hungry violent negroes. The relief crews kept them pacified with lots of "free stuff". Once again, improvise! Adapt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pops88 View Post
    I lived through the Auckland black out of 6 weeks. Of all the prepping talk, something that becomes a priority really quickly- morning coffee. Sometime when addressing the bigger issues we can miss some of the important small ones.
    This really brought back some memories. My parents were both highly intelligent, think outside of the box people. After the hurricane blew thru. I think my dad's brain shut down. After 3 days, my Mom told him that if he didn't find her a hot cup of coffee, she was going to start murdering people. They had a camping stove and propane. They had an inverter. They had a grill and charcoal, a percolator and plenty of coffee. They could have just made a campfire. So at least 4 ways to make coffee and they were so tired neither of them thought of it. The roads were finally clear enough he could get the truck out and he managed to drive them to a convenience store about 10 miles away and they had power. So she got her coffee.
    I was living about 50 miles away then and dh and I just threw everything on the gas grill. I even managed to make tea on the grill. And I'm not that smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    You know we have an entire subforum for preps?
    Yes, and I've read all of it. I like reading articles such as Doz has posted here on main. I've learned more from reading articles such as his, along with everyone's added experiences and thoughts than in the prep forum, though. Still, it's a great subforum!
    Sherree

Quote Originally Posted by vestige View Post
    Good article... brief.

Remember this:

In order to just run a reliable 24/7/365 sentry (one man) requires a minimum of 5 men. This to accommodate "annual leave, sick leave and unforeseen."
    LOL that is great "annual leave" in a shumer event LOL. Think I'll cruise the Caribbean for a couple of weeks. LOL

The point is well taken though, meaning having a crew with a minimum of 4-5 people is a good idea.

Concerning the use, or availability of "salt" water:

Can't you distill that water to make it drinkable? Meaning distilling it removes the salt.

Would a Berkey filtration system take out the salt?

Not something everyone would need to know/do, but you never know. You might be on your annual leave, on a cruise, when SHTF.