Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

DISASTER Breached Dam in northwestern Nebraska
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

9 Breached Dam in northwestern Nebraska

Spencer dam collapse
    Video from Kenna Sedivy.
    Atkinson Fire & Rescue says the damage is extreme. "The size of the ice chunks on the road is crazy."

Many videos at the site..

https://www.1011now.com/video?vid=507145112

(42 seconds for this one)
    Hold fast to your dreams.
    For without dreams
    life is a broken-winged bird
    that cannot fly.

It's bad. I80 is still closed, Grand Island to Wyoming, and the Nat Guard is deployed to at 2 towns for evacuation. Four bridges gone, last I heard.

That's pretty horrible.
    Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death.

The Frigid Times - http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/
    Civil Defense Reborn - http://cdreborn.blogspot.com/
    Believe what you will, but the Russian nuclear threat is far from dead. It ain't even sick. - Brutus

I hope there weren't any animals trapped in that barn.

Many parts of the rockies has gotten some seroius snow pack this winter and as things start warming up we may hear more of the same.
    Last edited by Publius; 03-14-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NWPhotog View Post
    Spencer dam collapse
    Video from Kenna Sedivy.
    Atkinson Fire & Rescue says the damage is extreme. "The size of the ice chunks on the road is crazy."

I have friends that live downstream from that dam. Will check their FB page to see if they are okay.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

O, Lord!! Please protect those people and animals!!

This is horrible, but I fear that it is just the beginning for this spring....
    "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Orphan Grain Train is headquartered in Norfolk, NE. They have photos on their FB page here:https://www.facebook.com/Orphan-Grai...3809243041205/

We've had at least two close calls with dams in the past several years. The dams are mostly old, and they weren't built for the extreme weather we have recently been experiencing. Those weather patterns are only going to get worse. More failures are just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by NWPhotog View Post
    Spencer dam collapse
    Video from Kenna Sedivy.

Went looking for more videos--and from this one from 2010, the dam was leaking like a sieve even 9 years ago and had been poorly maintained, so perhaps no wonder it finally collapsed?---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRP3gFtjem8

Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Things are very bad here in Nebraska weather wise and flooding wise. The Army Corps of Engineers tripled the amount of water released from Gavins Point Dam in South Dakota so the flooding on the Missouri River is going to be getting worse over the next few days. Thousands of folks have been evacuated from small and medium sized towns all over Nebraska. And guess what? Not a mention in the national media. Not surprising but still rather frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Many parts of the rockies has gotten some seroius snow pack this winter and as things start warming up we may hear more of the same.
    I thought I heard about one storm in the California mountains that left 25 FEET of snow.

Oh wow. Turns out the Sierra Nevadas have the fifth largest snowpack in the last 40 years.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/...t-in-40-years/

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Clay View Post
    Things are very bad here in Nebraska weather wise and flooding wise. The Army Corps of Engineers tripled the amount of water released from Gavins Point Dam in South Dakota so the flooding on the Missouri River is going to be getting worse over the next few days. Thousands of folks have been evacuated from small and medium sized towns all over Nebraska. And guess what? Not a mention in the national media. Not surprising but still rather frustrating.
    Yup...what happens in flyover doesn't matter, unless grocery store prices go up on the coasts. Otherwise, we can eat dirt...or drown.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Clay View Post
    same thing in western Iowa.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by ;7220370
    I thought I heard about one storm in the California mountains that left 25 FEET of snow.

Oh wow. Turns out the Sierra Nevadas have the fifth largest snowpack in the last 40 years.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/...t-in-40-years/

Start looking up some of the ski resorts and many are talking about record amounts of snow. Colorado mountains and ski resorts in and around the lake Tahoe area and more.

Some of what I was reading was talk of insane amounts of snow and some of it reaching well down into the lower elevations

Latest YouTube Videos Of Flooding.........(Spencer Dam)

Gavins Point Dam is holding record water, with videos on Facebook of the water topping the flood gates. Just 2 weeks ago the river releases were 1/3 of the current flow. The upper elevation snow pack has not begun the spring thaw. The Missouri River in Sioux City is going to crest, as of now, 4 feet below the 2011 flood stage. Further south, every gauge is going to be at flood stage to St. Louis. If the Corps does not get their heads out of the sand and start being proactive, things could get interesting this spring with a huge economic impact from the agricultural sector. Food prices rose due to lack of economically prudent transportation, and 7 years later we are in the same literal situation.

Obama, Trump, does not matter who the figure head is, all the underlings who are not capable of a viable income in the private sector remain as Governmental Employees.

The link shows the current water level of Gavins Point Dam, if anyone is interested.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydr...fsd&gage=gpdn1

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Start looking up some of the ski resorts and many are talking about record amounts of snow. Colorado mountains and ski resorts in and around the lake Tahoe area and more.

Some of what I was reading was talk of insane amounts of snow and some of it reaching well down into the lower elevations
    Makes me wonder about Oroville. I know it was just rebuilt and all, but still.

I got a weather alert on my phone this morning about the Dam possibly giving way. They said there is a Nuclear plant in the way that would be damaged. Sounds like a possible disaster in the making and not a blip about it anywhere?? Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenwings View Post
    I got a weather alert on my phone this morning about the Dam possibly giving way. They said there is a Nuclear plant in the way that would be damaged. Sounds like a possible disaster in the making and not a blip about it anywhere?? Weird.
    This is the first I've heard of any of this! How far south are you from the nuke plant? Which dam?

I just returned home from checking on our mail. I have to drive right by the Missouri river and took some time to really check it out. The river here south of Sioux City is really up, it is over the wing dikes now. Yesterday it was probably about three feet below them. There are still large chunks of ice flowing and the velocity is really up. I has a way to go before we will be affected, but will be much more comfortable when it begins to recede.

As to the concern about the nuclear plant, it is at Ft Calhoun. Last time when the river was up they had the plant shut down and had burmed around it. Where the flooding is occurring is on the low lands and thousands of acres will be affected.

I called my Bro at Yankton and he said that they are experiencing very high water there. His neighbor told him he had water running in his back door right down in their basement. The water behind Gavins point is high and the Corp has raised the release level to 100,000 cu ft min. This will exacerbate the flooding down stream, but with what is coming with the snow melt up North it will probably be something we will have to put up with for a long time.

I have elderly relatives that live in Niobrara, Ne and the bridge East on highway 12 has a bridge out on the Bazille Creek and the bridge West on 12 went out yesterday. My DA & Uncle have no water, but they have food. The gas and electric is still on and they do burn wood. They just announced that water was available at the Firehouse. My Aunt will experience severe health issues next week when her prescription runs out. Hopefully things will change prior too.

Folks it is bad West of us. If you can search out the map of Ne that shows all of the areas flooded and roads closed. The whole state about from Grand Island East and North is red. That's all for now

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaker 11 View Post
    I just returned home from checking on our mail. I have to drive right by the Missouri river and took some time to really check it out. The river here south of Sioux City is really up, it is over the wing dikes now. Yesterday it was probably about three feet below them. There are still large chunks of ice flowing and the velocity is really up. I has a way to go before we will be affected, but will be much more comfortable when it begins to recede.

As to the concern about the nuclear plant, it is at Ft Calhoun. Last time when the river was up they had the plant shut down and had burmed around it. Where the flooding is occurring is on the low lands and thousands of acres will be affected.

I called my Bro at Yankton and he said that they are experiencing very high water there. His neighbor told him he had water running in his back door right down in their basement. The water behind Gavins point is high and the Corp has raised the release level to 100,000 cu ft min. This will exacerbate the flooding down stream, but with what is coming with the snow melt up North it will probably be something we will have to put up with for a long time.

I have elderly relatives that live in Niobrara, Ne and the bridge East on highway 12 has a bridge out on the Bazille Creek and the bridge West on 12 went out yesterday. My DA & Uncle have no water, but they have food. The gas and electric is still on and they do burn wood. They just announced that water was available at the Firehouse. My Aunt will experience severe health issues next week when her prescription runs out. Hopefully things will change prior too.

Folks it is bad West of us. If you can search out the map of Ne that shows all of the areas flooded and roads closed. The whole state about from Grand Island East and North is red. That's all for now

Just go here to see the most recent photos

https://www.google.com/search?q=floo...sBRv_kmFBeXTM:

Thanks for posting the map............I am definitely challenged with the techy stuff.

Here is a link that has some pretty good information about what is happening locally from the Omaha Weird Herald https://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/...d719a4f2c.html

Sorry I've been gone for hours. I see someone has started a separate thread now for it. I live in the St Louis side of Missouri so thought it was odd that I'd get an alert over it.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    This is the first I've heard of any of this! How far south are you from the nuke plant? Which dam?

Sorry I've been gone for hours. I see someone has started a separate thread now for it. I live in the St Louis side of Missouri so thought it was odd that I'd get an alert over it.
    That is odd. I started the thread when I saw the article on FB via my local radio station.

I'm thinking we are going to need a Midwest flooding thread. I am also reading on Facebook about flooding in St Joseph Missouri also by the Missouri River. Seems they are going to have a flood that is going to be their third highest flood ever. I have seen a lot of cool pictures but nothing on our local news and nothing really on the national news.

I have word from someone in the know that here in the St. Louis area we are going to have a record flood that surpasses the great flood of 93!!! That was a hundred year flood.

I am thinking with all the bad weather going on in our nation we are under judgement for killing full term babies. Just my opinion there.

If you have facebook you can get information, photos, and video about the flooding in SE South Dakota and NE Nebraska here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1449968548666347/
    "This place is fantastic! It's like "Gone With The Wind" on mescaline. They walk imaginary pets here...and they're all heavily armed and drunk..."
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

I'm thinking we are going to need a Midwest flooding thread. I am also reading on Facebook about flooding in St Joseph Missouri also by the Missouri River. Seems they are going to have a flood that is going to be their third highest flood ever. I have seen a lot of cool pictures but nothing on our local news and nothing really on the national news.

I have word from someone in the know that here in the St. Louis area we are going to have a record flood that surpasses the great flood of 93!!! That was a hundred year flood.

I am thinking with all the bad weather going on in our nation we are under judgement for killing full term babies. Just my opinion there.
    I can see that happening, the snow pack is exceptional this year.

From the NEMA page:https://nema.nebraska.gov/press/upda...weather-events

(More at the link, this is just evacs/shelters, and the nuclear station)

Evacuations (full and partial) as of Friday, 1 p.m.:

Beemer

Belgrade

Cedar Rapids

Dannebrog

Genoa - Lake Oconee

Inglewood - DHHS Call Center

Randolph City Auditorium

Northern Butler County

Eastern Richardson County

Pender - Senior Living

Broken Bow - Senior Center

Linoma Beach

Norfolk

Fremont - Hospital

Anselmo

Lynch

Wisner

South Bend Middle Island

Louisville - Trailer Park

Cedar Creek - Along River

Plattsmouth - OMA Fish & Wildlife

Plattsmouth - Moorehead Island

Plattsmouth - Beach Road

Eastern Washington County

Beemer - 6 homes

Pleasanton - Homes

Bucaneer Bay - Neighborhood

Valley - Evacuation

Plattsmouth – Low-lying areas

Sarpy County - Platte & Missouri River

West Point - Western section

Food, Water, Sheltering: Red Cross reports there are 721 people in Red Cross and partner shelters. Shelters are open in the following places:

Council Bluffs, Iowa (Salem United Methodist Church, 14955 Somerset Avenue)
    Bellwood, Nebraska (Bellwood Fire Department, 752 41 Road)
    Boelus, Nebraska (CNR Center, 614 Delaware Street)
    Columbus, Nebraska (DHS- East Central Health Department, 4321 41st Avenue)
    Freemont, Nebraska (First Lutheran Church, 3200 Military Avenue; enter Mission Center on NW corner of campus)
    Hader, Nebraska (Hader Fire Hall, 101 Front Street)
    Missouri Valley, Nebraska (Rand Community Center, 100 S. 4th Street)
    Norfolk, Nebraska (Lutheran High Northeast, 2010 N. 37th Street)
    Norfolk, Nebraska (Bel Air Elementary School, 1101 N. 18th Street)
    Norfolk, Nebraska (Sacred Heart Elementary School, 2301 Madison Avenue)
    North Loup, Nebraska (North Loup Community Center, 112 S. B Street)
    Pierce, Nebraska (Pierce Fire Department, 106 1st Street)
    Plattsmouth, Nebraska (Plattsmouth Community Center, 308 S. 18th Street)
    Randolph, Nebraska (Randolph City Auditorium, 119 N. Main Street)
    St. Edward, Nebraska (St. Edward City Hall, 1302 State Highway 39)

Energy (Power & Fuel): Cooper Nuclear Station is operating at full power. Officials are placing sandbags in critical locations in preparation for rising water levels. The station has declared a notice of unusual event, but there is no risk to public safety. Officials will continue to monitor the situation.

Communications: The radio tower at Verdigre remains inaccessible; however, the Nebraska State Patrol and other radio operators are able to use cellphones for communications.

Transportation: Interstate 80 is now open; however, road conditions remain dangerous across the state.

My mom was evacuated this afternoon, after the basement started filling with water..I cannot get over to Fremont, Ne. all roads are closed, levees are unstable and breaking or cracking..it is an unholy mess. All churches are filling up with evacuees and its just crazy and I can't get there from here.

Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    My mom was evacuated this afternoon, after the basement started filling with water..I cannot get over to Fremont, Ne. all roads are closed, levees are unstable and breaking or cracking..it is an unholy mess. All churches are filling up with evacuees and its just crazy and I can't get there from here.
    I'm sorry, this is terrible. How old is she, and is there any other family in Fremont?

She's 92 and only family left there in town is my brother, who is stuck in Omaha and can't get there either. A church friend of hers came and got her at the evacuee center because they are all so full now. No one will be able to get there until at least one highway dries off enough..

I'm glad someone is caring for her. Hopefully you'll be able to reach her soon, it's hard not to be able to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by skwentnaflyer View Post
    I'm glad someone is caring for her. Hopefully you'll be able to reach her soon, it's hard not to be able to do anything.
    yeah, but all things work out in the end..thank you

This flood reminds me of my Mom talking about the Republican River flood when she was a girl. That was before they built the Red Willow dam in Western Neb
    I looked it up online and it was 1935. The loss of life human and livestock etc was catastrophic for the time. This must be the hundred year flood. 15 years early.

Do any of you other Nebraskans think the dam system made it worse this time?

Did the Republican flood this time? What I remember of that river when a child was the quicksand and hardly any water.

Quote Originally Posted by flame View Post
    Church friend's aged mother in Freemont lost everything including car and house close to the river. This friend, in Sioux City, can't get to her. Freemont (one town of many) is a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nettleton View Post
    Church friend's aged mother in Freemont lost everything including car and house close to the river. This friend, in Sioux City, can't get to her. Freemont (one town of many) is a disaster.
    this is so sad..my cousin is trying to keep me informed on Fremont through news and videos. He said the hospital there is evacuating patients as the first floor is slowly filling with water. My mom having been evacuated is still so worried because she had to leave her cat behind. Not only that, last night I called her neighbor who was still in her house with her 7 yr old grandson. She hadn't left yet and now I can't get hold of her..phone lines are waterlogged in that area..

Now what other dams will fail?