Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

EDUC White parents are enabling school segregation if it does not hurt their own kids.
+ Reply to Thread

White parents are enabling school segregation if it does not hurt their own kids.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...n-t-ncna978446

THOUGHT EXPERIMENT
    White parents are enabling school segregation — if it doesn't hurt their own kids
    This is what happens when anti-racism is no longer a major goal of educational policy.

March 11, 2019, 4:35 AM EDT
    By Noah Berlatsky

America has largely given up trying to desegregate its schools. Politicians have capitulated to reactionary white parents and activists who have successfully fought for decades against the government's hesitant efforts to provide equal resources and opportunities for students of color. The result has been a disaster for non-white students, for public education and for the U.S. as a whole.

In the 1950s and 1960s, educational segregation, along with voting rights, was the iconic issue of the civil rights movement. Today, criminal justice and mass incarceration have largely overtaken school segregation in high-profile discussions about racism.

Obviously, not everyone has moved on: Black Lives Matter has managed to raise public awareness of systemic racism and local activists have continued to fight against segregation. For example, black Chicago students have repeatedly protested the way the city robs them of resources and closes schools in their neighborhoods. But focused, national attention, much less change, has proved elusive.

Brown is broadly celebrated; everyone agrees that legal segregation was wrong. And thus, the civil rights movement won.

The fact that we've moved on from discussions of segregation could be seen as a victory of sorts. Brown v. Board of Education in 1954 made it unconstitutional to pass laws mandating separate education for black students and white students. Brown is broadly celebrated; everyone agrees that legal segregation was wrong. And thus, the civil rights movement won.

But did it? The truth is that segregation today is, in many cases, worse now than when the Brown v. Board of Education case was decided.

A 2017 analysis by the UCLA Civil Rights Project found that 75 percent of black students attend majority minority schools, while 38 percent go to schools that are less than 10 percent white. The numbers are even more striking for Latinx students, 80 percent of whom attend majority minority schools. Latinx and black students are also much more likely to be in school districts with high poverty rates, and to have less access to high-quality course offerings. A 2012 study found that more than half of public schools with low black and Latinx populations offered calculus, as compared to a third with high Latinx and black enrollment.

This segregation of students of color isn't an accident. For more than 50 years, white parents and white activists have fought against integrating schools, as Noliwe Rooks chronicles in her 2017 book “Cutting School: Privatization, Segregation, and the Rise of Public Education.”

Following Brown, many Southern school systems shut down public education for up to five years rather than integrate, Rooks writes. She also notes that public money was used to support all-white private schools all the way up to 1978. In the north, meanwhile, racist activism led to anti-busing provisions, blocking federal funds from being used to transport students for the purposes of desegregation. Local busing efforts were opposed with violence: Around 200 white people attacked school buses with black children in South Carolina, and the Ku Klux Klan bombed empty school buses in Michigan in 1971.

Desegregation can still prompt angry, violent, white backlash. Today, Rooks reports, affluent white districts will sue and prosecute poor people of color who try to access the resources in better districts. In 2014, for example, Tanya McDowell, who was homeless, was sentenced to multiple years in prison for using the address of her babysitter to send her kindergartner to school in the affluent district of Norwalk, Connecticut.

When I wrote an article earlier this year arguing that white parents need to do more to promote desegregation, my social media mentions filled up with outraged protests, many of them openly anti-Semitic. Rod Dreher at the American Conservative said that by pointing out that white parents are complicit in segregation, I had contributed to the "demonization of “whiteness.” He also suggested that if my son went to a majority minority school he would likely be bullied by black students. Dreher's concerns were echoed on the Nazi podcast “The Daily Shoah,” which also argued that when I advocate for desegregation, I am actually working to destroy white parents and white children.

White resistance over the last few decades has been so successful that there is little pressure now to desegregate schools.

The virulence of this reaction feels out of proportion. But that's only because white resistance over the last few decades has been so successful that there is little pressure now to desegregate schools. Instead, policy makers argue for "school choice." Poor students of color, the argument goes, can use vouchers from the state to attend private school, or can take courses online, or can enter a lottery to attend charter schools. Advocates like T. Willard Fair believe that many studies "point to increased success for students of color because their families were empowered to find schools that better met the needs of their children."

Data on charter schools is far from clear that they actually raise test scores, however critics are concerned that some schools may simply force out students who do poorly, raising school test averages. And in any case, the many students left behind in the public system face the same problems their predecessors did. U.S. public schools are funded by local property taxes, which means that wealthier neighborhoods have highly trained teachers with up-to-date technology and poor neighborhoods have out-of-date textbooks and crumbling buildings. High-poverty districts spend 15.6 percent less per student than low-poverty districts. Critics argue that vouchers make the situation worse by draining funds from already strapped school systems. Separate remains unequal in districts across the country.

Since most politicians no longer even pretend to tackle desegregation, white people don't need to make a violent fuss to protect the system. "There's still a lot of pushback [against desegregation], but the pushback isn't people out in the streets organizing against busing," says Amanda Lewis, author of “Race in the Schoolyard.”

"Instead we talk about opportunity hoarding. Instead of trying to block other people, I'm trying to make sure my kid gets the best. And in doing that, a lot of people participating in that kind of behavior, you produce unequal outcomes," Lewis said.
    White kids, racism and the way privileged parenting props up an unjust system
    Affluent white parents can pay for test prep to get their kids into better charter schools. They can move to the suburbs to get into wealthier districts. They can advocate to get their kids into honors classes. You don't have to stand at the schoolyard door or attack buses anymore. You can just quietly use your money and education to leverage structural inequality in your favor.

This inequality gives affluent white children real advantages. But it also stunts them. My son currently goes to a majority minority public high school in Chicago. Contrary to Rod Dreher's racist fantasies, being at a school where most people aren't white hasn't put him in danger. Instead, he's had opportunities I never had in my all-white high school in northeastern Pennsylvania. He can practice his Spanish by speaking with bilingual classmates. He works with extremely talented young black and Latinx Shakespearean actors. He knows people who don't look like him. That's valuable.

White Americans have largely stopped seeing anti-racism as a major goal of educational policy. Instead, they have chosen to focus on maximizing their own choices and the success of their own children. It's natural for people to want their kids to do well. But how well are you really doing when you are collaborating in a society built on injustice and inequality? Despite the best efforts of activists and scholars, the dream of desegregation in America is dying. Our children are worse off as a result.

It is not possible to comment on this. A majority Black/Latino Chicago school filled with Shakespearan scholars? Have we been misled all these years by the gunfire and corpses in the streets?
    "The misfortune of many is the consolation of fools" Ancient proverb

"This inequality gives affluent white children real advantages. But it also stunts them. My son currently goes to a majority minority public high school in Chicago. Contrary to Rod Dreher's racist fantasies, being at a school where most people aren't white hasn't put him in danger. Instead, he's had opportunities I never had in my all-white high school in northeastern Pennsylvania. He can practice his Spanish by speaking with bilingual classmates. He works with extremely talented young black and Latinx Shakespearean actors. He knows people who don't look like him. That's valuable."

.....and here is the fault of critical analysis of the egalitarian............he sees instances where the those people of color who are outlying to the right standard deviation or two from their racial mean and make claims that integration is valuable.

What they fail to either admit or grasp is that societies are not based on individual instances but the collective behavior of large scale organizations of humans.

The simple fact for every Black that functions effectively in society there are 8 to 9 that struggle....

........the mean IQ of a the Black race is 85......the mean IQ of the White race is 100............

Something has to give over time............because a society based on its citizens who have a mean IQ of 100 will be very different from that a standard deviation below theirs.

A society with a mean of 100 will land people on the moon while a culture in Africa having a mean IQ as low as 60-65 will still be unable to find and procure enough clean water.

and how many of those gifted Blacks and Latinos excel in the STEM studies?

Face reality and learn to deal with it.......or else reality will end up dealing with you.

He knows people who don't look like him. That's valuable.
    Bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Troke View Post
    Desegregation can still prompt angry, violent, white backlash. Today, Rooks reports, affluent white districts will sue and prosecute poor people of color who try to access the resources in better districts. In 2014, for example, Tanya McDowell, who was homeless, was sentenced to multiple years in prison for using the address of her babysitter to send her kindergartner to school in the affluent district of Norwalk, Connecticut.
    How does a homeless person afford a babysitter?
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by vestige View Post
    Bullshit
    It is valuable.........in making a distinction of who holds a greater overall threat in society than other...............ask Jessie Jackson how he perceives people of color verse White people when he's followed down a dark city alley at night.

Quote Originally Posted by PghPanther View Post
    It is valuable.........in making a distinction of who holds a greater overall threat in society than other...............ask Jessie Jackson how he perceives people of color verse White people when he's followed down a dark city alley at night.

Simple observation from afar and reading TB2K can achieve the same results.

.....He knows people who don't look like him. That's valuable. (Not really. Such things would only matter to a racist cloaked as an anti-racist.)

White Americans have largely stopped seeing anti-racism as a major goal of educational policy.(Education policy should focus on EDUCATION. Focus on anything else, especially wokeness, is child abuse.
    Instead, they have chosen to focus on maximizing their own choices and the success of their own children. It's natural for people to want their kids to do well.(Any intelligent person is going to focus their efforts on making their progeny successful.)
    But how well are you really doing when you are collaborating in a society built on injustice and inequality?(What a bunch of PC nonsense!)
    Despite the best efforts of activists and scholars, the dream of desegregation in America is dying.(May the scholars and activists die with their "dream".....they are the ones that foist idiotic policies and programs on us that have brought our country to ruin.)
    Our children are worse off as a result.(I don't believe this. I think people are waking up to reality.)
    Storytime:
    When I was growing up, I was taught the value of the person. Not in a racist manner. But, there were only 4 black people in my county (who kept to themselves), so I never really dealt with "others" until I was an adult. In the military there were a fair amount of different colored peoples, but the rigid structure and entrance process kept out much of the riff-raff.
    When I was training in a Southern Coastal city, I got my first dose of majority Black culture when I attended a party. There was a b-o-b shooting, which made us leave. A DinduNuffin then attempted to rob me and my buddy at knifepoint on the way to our car....it didn't work out well for him. We didn't go to parties like that afterward.
    When I deployed, I found that all of the Blacks would congregate in the messhall and play bones (dominoes) or watch sportsball almost every night. The entire time they would yell over each other, often repeating the same things over and over. Sometimes fights broke out, but more generally they would settle things through a peacocking display and the determination of their peers as to the more alpha. It was like watching a nature documentary. Whites weren't welcome, and most didn't want to go anyway due to the hostile alien culture.
    It was around this time that I became interested in the statistics of crime in the US (due to some forgotten case). Blacks in America (~13%) of the population commit roughly half of the violent crime based on FBI crime stats. Since black males are the more violent sex and statistically commit more crime, that means that just 6.5% of Americans are responsible for most of the violence.
    Note: I am not racist. There are good and bad people among the different races. Blacks just happen to be tribalistic and often subjugate their own identity to the mob mentality hive mind, led by an alpha, when they are in groups. The alpha is the largest and most violent. It is for this, among other reasons, that I moved my family back home.....to where there were 5 black people.
    But now we also have ~100 black youth inmates, because my county thought it was a good idea to get a "group home"/teenager prison and house other counties' troublemakers. At least they don't go to the local school.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    How does a homeless person afford a babysitter?
    A lot of homeless have jobs. A babysitter is a lot cheaper than being able to afford rent and utilities.

ETA: can't leave out child support too. I have a brother that works two full time jobs (80+ hrs a week) to pay child support and college. He has been homeless for a few years. He stays with friends, relatives, sometimes a girlfriend and even has to live in his car sometimes.

Homeless people are not always just a worthless hobo or junky.

ETA2: he drives 140 miles each way to one of his jobs and neither of them pay less than twice minimum wage.
    Last edited by Lilbitsnana; 03-14-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    Nana to two "little bits", one not-so-little "little bit" and one 6' college bound "little bit"

Quote Originally Posted by vestige View Post
    Bullshit
    Cant agree more!!!!!!

WAB
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."---- Robert A. Heinlein

..Blacks in America (~13%) of the population commit roughly half of the violent crime based on FBI crime stats....

It is taught in our best colleges that if white privilege didn't keep the white kids off the police blotter, the stats would be similar.

All properly educated people believe that.

..Blacks in America (~13%) of the population commit roughly half of the violent crime based on FBI crime stats....

It is taught in our best colleges that if white privilege didn't keep the white kids off the police blotter, the stats would be similar.

All properly educated people believe that.
    This is sarcasm, right?
    /Of course you're right.....our Ivy League Betters tell us so.//

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...n-t-ncna978446

THOUGHT EXPERIMENT
    Advocates like T. Willard Fair believe that many studies "point to increased success for students of color because their families were empowered to find schools that better met the needs of their children."

Why does it take studies to note that if you put effort into your children's future they do better, I thought that was basic logic.

U.S. public schools are funded by local property taxes,

If people want better schools how about they clean up their yards, put on some fresh paint and, mow the lawn from time to time their property value will increase. problem solved.
    My ex teaches in title one schools and when asked about the contents of this article her response to the lack of AP and honors courses in title one schools is, "there isn't enough interest to offer them. you need at least 200 interested students to realistically offer a course."

Quote Originally Posted by ArisenCarcass View Post
    This is sarcasm, right?
    /Of course you're right.....our Ivy League Betters tell us so.//
    Under the Obama rules, public schools had to discipline based on the % of color. Thus if 50% Black, no more that 50% of the discipline actions could affect Blacks. Needless to say, chaos in the schools but that is due to the incompetence of the teachers and administration. This is taught in all of our best colleges.

White Privilege is a Phact. A phact is what is believed. Whether is is true or false is irrelevant. It is believed therefor we must act as if it were true.

I can hear Nowski's rant in my head as I'm skimming this thread.

I'm just thankful I was able to move out my old neighborhood in Ohio before I got shot.

The entire OP article is bullshit. These days, the nigras and the mex’s DEMAND “SAFE SPACES” WITHOUT WHITES, and schools oblige them. Wanna not be segregated? Then don’t have “certain race safe spaces.” It’s pretty simple.

Otherwise, STFU and go away.