Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WTF?!? (OMEN?) After more than 140 years, a massive fig tree gracing the plaza where Los Angeles was founded col
+ Reply to Thread

5 (OMEN?) After more than 140 years, a massive fig tree gracing the plaza where Los Angeles was founded col

March 9, 2019

After more than 140 years, a massive fig tree gracing the plaza where Los Angeles was founded collapses

They were doing the line dance when what sounded like firecrackers split the air.

Because the sound was to be expected at a Chinese lantern festival, no one immediately noticed the demise of a fig tree that for 144 years had watched skyscrapers built around it and a freeway carved out beside it; that saw the changing fashions and hairstyles of the people beneath it; that sheltered a growing number of homeless people from rain and sun.

It wasn’t the sound of firecrackers. It was the sound of a tree dying.

“We saw the lanterns attached to the tree start to go,” said Teena Apeles, whose daughter’s troupe was waiting to perform at the March 2 festival. “We knew something was wrong.”

The tree seemed to fall in slow motion, the swoop of its descent dramatized by the red paper lanterns strung from its branches, Apeles said.

And with that, the four Moreton Bay figs that have towered for more than 140 years over the cradle of Los Angeles were three.

More here: https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...309-story.html

My edited version of the news headline..............

"After more than 140 years, a massive fig tree where Los Angeles was founded collapses"

So go ahead and edit it.

More from that link...
    The four figs were planted at El Pueblo by agriculturalist and City Councilman Elijah Hook Workman, KCET reported in 2013. The Ficus macrophylla was brought from Australia to Southern California in the 1860s and 1870s, probably to provide shade and ornamentation, said Donald Hodel, a horticulture advisor for the University of California’s Cooperative Extension.
    At the time, the citrus industry was taking off, the region was being flooded with new trees, and railroad companies were marketing Southern California as a botanical wonderland where anything and everything could be grown, said Frank McDonough, a botanist with Los Angeles County.
    “Having a big ol’ Moreton Bay fig in the middle of downtown Los Angeles illustrated that quite nicely,” McDonough said.
    Hodel described the Moreton Bay fig as a commanding breed of tree with an enveloping canopy that threw plenty of shade.
    His reasons for admiring the Moreton Bay fig: “Their grandeur; their size — they have an imposing habit; their root structure is incredible; the spreading nature of their branches.”
    Hodel said he last saw the El Pueblo figs about six years ago.
    “I wasn’t too impressed by their health or their size, considering they’re 140-something years old,” he said.
    The trees become unhealthy when the ground beneath their canopy is covered with concrete, preventing fallen leaves from decomposing and enriching the soil, Hodel and McDonough said.
    “In a well-maintained landscape — what I call ‘benign neglect,’ where you give a tree some water, let the leaves fall and leave them where they lay — I imagine it could live 200 years or more,” Hodel said.
    Today, there is barely a stump where the fig stood for 144 years at the southern point of El Pueblo’s plaza. The tree was cut up with chain saws and hauled away with a crane.

THIS is what those HUGE trees look like:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ainitfunny; 03-12-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    “SAVED” or “UNSAVED”, Jesus knows you personally,
    everything you are going through right now,
    and He loves you Dearly, and wants to help.

South Louisiana near New Orleans by the Mississippi River
    Attached Images

I’ll take high wind sheer profile, high winds, and rain saturated soil for $100 Chuck.

I doubt a dragon lantern or a heel stomping Irish dance troupe would matter much.

I also doubt some of the unlikely accessory allegations.

It sure sounds like a combination of a seriously aged tree complicated by the cement ground cover, as mentioned, Old, sick trees DO fall sometimes.
    "Talking is easy and everyone is wise after the event."

Ernest Joyce

A team of professional arborists examined the fallen fig tree looking for clues. Termites were ruled out since the high cost of rent forced the insects to vacate the trunk years ago. Eventually the
    arborists discovered several wood shavings and oatmeal cookie crumbs near the base. Analysis of these materials revealed traces of DNA from elves, specifically the Keebler elves. Investigators
    theorize that a factory expansion was underway but caused too much stress inside the old tree, causing it to collapse. If you have seen any suspiciously looking elves, please contact authorities.

La Puebla de Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles.
    Reality cannot be seen through the lens of Marxism.

Freedom and government-imposed equality are mutually exclusive.

Wow! Glad that I didn't miss this thread...it was one page 3 or 4...how did I miss this important thread???

Well, I was supposed to see it today! I am looking for something else, and so glad I was searching- seek and you shall find.

This is definitely a Harbinger.
    22 Whoever does not love the Lord—a curse on him! Maranatha—Our Lord, come! 23 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you.
    (1 Corinthians 16)

Quote Originally Posted by TammyinWI View Post
    Wow! Glad that I didn't miss this thread...it was one page 3 or 4...how did I miss this important thread???

Well, I was supposed to see it today! I am looking for something else, and so glad I was searching- seek and you shall find.

This is definitely a Harbinger.
    How ?

If you took the time to read the article it was basically killed, slowly , over time by not having the soil it grew in get the nutrients it needed.

Neglected , yes...Harbinger ? No.
    I would remind you the extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! Also let me remind you that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue. Barry Goldwater

There comes a time when even the common man must spit on his hands, raise the black flag and begin slitting throats. H.L. Mencken

How? I didn't see the title when checking in daily the last few days.

I am a Christian and in the Bible, the fig tree has a special meaning.

That tree was there a long, long time. It may have been Divine Intervention that allowed it to be ruined.
    22 Whoever does not love the Lord—a curse on him! Maranatha—Our Lord, come! 23 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you.
    (1 Corinthians 16)

No root cluster, nothing holding it there and, as said, it likely had no nutrition and little water if it was encased in cement.

Omen? Nope, just people who had no clue about keeping trees alive.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

"The Joys of Gunslinging. It's Win-Win. Freedom or Glory."

That tree was there a long, long time. It may have been Divine Intervention that allowed it to be ruined.
    Spring time too...interesting take on this. California at that...... hard to grow a good tree in a concrete jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ractivist View Post
    Spring time too...interesting take on this. California at that...... hard to grow a good tree in a concrete jungle.
    Well, Divine Intervention usually is indicated by a miraculous saving of someone or something not killing it.

There is a disease wiping out Olive orchards around the world and the Olive tree was also mentionedd in the Bible.

Sometimes a Fig tree is just a Fig tree.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

"The Joys of Gunslinging. It's Win-Win. Freedom or Glory."

Quote Originally Posted by ainitfunny View Post
    More from that link...
    The four figs were planted at El Pueblo by agriculturalist and City Councilman Elijah Hook Workman, KCET reported in 2013. The Ficus macrophylla was brought from Australia to Southern California in the 1860s and 1870s, probably to provide shade and ornamentation, said Donald Hodel, a horticulture advisor for the University of California’s Cooperative Extension.
    At the time, the citrus industry was taking off, the region was being flooded with new trees, and railroad companies were marketing Southern California as a botanical wonderland where anything and everything could be grown, said Frank McDonough, a botanist with Los Angeles County.
    “Having a big ol’ Moreton Bay fig in the middle of downtown Los Angeles illustrated that quite nicely,” McDonough said.
    Hodel described the Moreton Bay fig as a commanding breed of tree with an enveloping canopy that threw plenty of shade.
    His reasons for admiring the Moreton Bay fig: “Their grandeur; their size — they have an imposing habit; their root structure is incredible; the spreading nature of their branches.”
    Hodel said he last saw the El Pueblo figs about six years ago.
    “I wasn’t too impressed by their health or their size, considering they’re 140-something years old,” he said.
    The trees become unhealthy when the ground beneath their canopy is covered with concrete, preventing fallen leaves from decomposing and enriching the soil, Hodel and McDonough said.
    “In a well-maintained landscape — what I call ‘benign neglect,’ where you give a tree some water, let the leaves fall and leave them where they lay — I imagine it could live 200 years or more,” Hodel said.
    Today, there is barely a stump where the fig stood for 144 years at the southern point of El Pueblo’s plaza. The tree was cut up with chain saws and hauled away with a crane.

THIS is what those HUGE trees look like:
    There's also a Morton Bay Fig tree on lower State Street in Santa Barbara, CA.

So it was "Divine Intervention " from way back that mad people put concrete around this tree so it could not get the nutrients it needed until one day there was cascade failure and it just died?

Wow that is some planning in advance And all for a tree.

Could it just be that stupid people do stupid things ?
    I would remind you the extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! Also let me remind you that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue. Barry Goldwater

There comes a time when even the common man must spit on his hands, raise the black flag and begin slitting throats. H.L. Mencken

Ah, sorry. WHAT?

On second thought, that's ok, never mind. Not going to sit here and split hairs. Think what you want.
    (1 Corinthians 16)