Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Pests/Ctrl Aphids And The Battle For My Onions
+ Reply to Thread

Aphids And The Battle For My Onions

I have some heirloom onion plants in the garden and the aphids have just about finished them off.

I haven't been sitting idly by watching this and I will share with you the homemade remedies that haven't worked and hopefully, lastly applied, the one that did work.

The first failed remedy was a mixture of molasses and milk, the second was Myers Dish Soap, the third (my usually tried and true) was a fifty-fifty mix of alcohol and water.

The plants are too small to blast the tiny pests off with a hose so I mixed up some Ivory liquid and water and just got finished spraying them. I'll check this evening a see if they are dead.

Incidentally, the hybrid onions planted side by side with these don't have a bug on them and are out-preforming them four to one.

We use a mix of 2 Tbls. Neem Oil, 2 Tbls. Sal Suds to a gallon of water. Spray it on the leaves every three or four days. It's always done the trick for us.

I appreciate your input Parakeet and I probably will order some of both because I know if they are attacking onions they are just waiting for my tomatoes. I was hoping I could find a more inexpensive solution. Gardening aint cheap but the results are worth it.

To also beat the aphids off my veggeis, I always plant Nasturtiums.

The seeds are cheap, pretty, the plant grows great and the aphids always go for those first if the have a choice because they are just so succulent and tasty to aphids.

Plus, you can eat the flowers, and they dress up a veggie garden to make it so pretty, like an old fashioned picture of a garden.

I love the Milk Maid creamy white Nasturtiums because they brighten up a garden and the catch the moon light.

The "Dwarf Cherry Rose" by Ed Hume seeds is such a pretty pink and it actually has quite a sweet and lovely scent.

Never have I ever heard of a Nasturtium with a flowery scent until these! Easy to grow! https://www.humeseeds.com/nast_dc.html

Anyway, Nasturtiums what I plant with my veggies, it works on aphids and a veggie garden surrounded by these flowers is just so beautiful. V

get some pyrethrin. It's made from chrysanthemums. It will know them out over night.

https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Produc...dp/B0035HA0AK/

Quote Originally Posted by Stanb999 View Post
    get some pyrethrin. It's made from chrysanthemums. It will know them out over night.

https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Produc...dp/B0035HA0AK/
    I'm going to do it. Aphids ruined my onions and everything else I'm using is keeping mostly under control on my tomatoes, but not gone. Thank you