Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Question For The Board
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

5 Question For The Board

As some of you know I wrote the 'Overthrown' series. Well the writing bug has been nibbling at me again. This time instead of fiction it would be more of a diary. I am a locksmith and you wouldn't believe all of the things that happen. The point is that my wife and I think I should write another book. She likes the title;

Adventures in Locksmithing

I prefer;

Locksmithing Is Like A Box of Chocolates,
    You Never Know What You're Gonna Get

So I'm simply asking the folks here if they might be interested in reading about the day to day experiances of a locksmith.
    Have you ever noticed how 'good enough' usually isn't?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The guard dies, but NEVER surrenders. (See my avatar)

Sounds like fun. I would read it. I like Adventures in Locksmithing for the title.

So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Both of those titles are

Just sayin...

Sounds interesting (and has potential) ...

I suggest you look at both the title and subtitle for how it would be positioned in the marketplace. IIRC, there are books on real-life comedies (such as the one where the court reporter cites various questions on the witness stand). "Who" is your audience? ... That's the big question.

I also suggest you look at Amazon search terms that might generate more hits.

In my view, how much response you get on this depends on how you structure the title/subtitle/book cover/description - as well as how well it's written.

Sometime ago, I ran across a book on writing comedy ... you might want to look at those as well.
    - Hacker

The Death of Money: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9TYKLX/

I would read it.
    agmfan3
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

“Fascinating Frolicking Fun with Fastened Fixtures”,

“The Keylock Man”, not your Dads L’Amour

“Behind Closed Doors, A Locksmiths Lowdown”
    "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer". George S. Patton

"Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable". George S. Patton

"The key book to curiosity and comedy"
    sb
    Scarletbreasted

"Whatever title you choose, don't use these: 'Unlocking Secrets of Loot and
    Lust', 'Skeletons Locked Away Forever, Or So They Hoped', and 'Better Safe
    Than Sordid: A Shocking Exposé of What People Keep Under Lock and Key'."

I'd read it!

THE LOCKSMITH

Simple titles work very well....

A detailed colored front cover with details on the rear cover and a short blurb on the front cover "The Escapades of a Locksmith." to describe what the book is about will grab readers....

Texican....

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    “Fascinating Frolicking Fun with Fastened Fixtures”,

“The Keylock Man”, not your Dads L’Amour

“Behind Closed Doors, A Locksmiths Lowdown”
    Love this one, "Behind Closed Doors, A Locksmiths Lowdown”

As long as the description offered a few choice tidbits that sounded interesting I might even read such a book.

Who ya gonna call? LOCK BUSTER!

(I know, it’s awful)

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    THE LOCKSMITH

A detailed colored front cover with details on the rear cover and a short blurb on the front cover "The Escapades of a Locksmith." to describe what the book is about will grab readers....

Texican....
    I agree.

I do believe the "....like a box of chocolates..." lends itself more toward what the book is going to be about as opposed to Adventures in Locksmithing. Adventures in Locksmithing could very well be a technical guide and does not really pique interest or curiosity. But "......like a box of chocolates...is a bit lengthy but cute. Would be a fun read, I too would read it.

Just locked my keys in my 1999 ford van. With string and a home made slim jim, 20 minutes. Not bad, if I do it again it should only take me 5 minutes at most.

Locksmiths, "they get into anything"

Didn't know you were a locksmith, After reading "Overthrown", I figured you to be military. I don't care about the title, I want to read the book!

I know you have some unbelievable experiences to share.

Just tell the story. Organize it any way that feels right.

You might try coming up with a title that refers to the most interesting incident or anecdote in your book.

For instance, a best-selling collection of psychological case histories that British neurologist Oliver Sacks wrote had the title, "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat (and other clinical tales)."

What was the most unusual thing that you've witnessed, experienced, done, or participated in as a locksmith?

Sounds Interesting

Borrow from Longfellow: The Village Locksmithy
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

Sounds amusing....

"The Unlockables" (main title)
    "From Zoos to Chastity Belts"
    "All in the Life of a Locksmith"

I'd definitely read the book. Sounds interesting.

Another thing to think about:

I recently bought and started reading a book, Mastering Plot Twists, by Jane K. Cleland (Writer's Digest Books, 2018). In it, she mentions using plot twists (complications, reversals, and crises) in memoirs and other forms of narrative nonfiction.

Looking at your life of locksmithing as if you were a character in a story, what sort of themes do you see in your life's story? What sort of problems, conflicts, experiences, and endeavors have you experienced? How have you changed over the years? What changed you? How have various situations and events impacted you over time?

"Locks Myth"

UNLOCKING THE KEY TO WEALTH: How To Earn Free Money In Your Spare Time. This book is for
    entertainment purposes only. All hints and secrets are just for your amusement and should never
    be used in violation of the law. Okay, now that that's out of the way, with this book you can break
    any lock, open any safe, take any money, precious metals, jewels and other valuable items, then
    sneak away scot-free without leaving fingerprints or other incriminating evidence! Just follow the
    directions and start building your nest egg today! Nota bene: If you get caught, you're locked up.

The keys are in your purse! It would be quicker to call the locksmith

I want a link to your last book! I need a new one

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    THE LOCKSMITH

Texican....
    I like that title. Simple and to the point. It sounds like a fun book to read.
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

I'm the gal that they say would read the back of the TP if that's all she could get- and they're right!
    So write it, and I'll definitely read it.

Writing's not my thing, however, so I can't help you there. I can see it like a bathroom joke book, so mimicking that presentation could be an option. Or a spin on lockletters(?) kids say the darnedest things. Lockpicks see the weirdest things.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

Locksmiter...be damned...or tickled on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
    Didn't know you were a locksmith, After reading "Overthrown", I figured you to be military. I don't care about the title, I want to read the book!

I know you have some unbelievable experiences to share.

Just tell the story. Organize it any way that feels right.
    I am an infantry vet.

Locksmith: The things you get into.
    Happy is the Nation whose God is the Lord. -Psalm 33:12

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Both of those titles are

Just sayin...
    Thanks for your opinion, which is something that everyone has. However I've decided on a different title and once I get started it will be in member stories and be easily identified.

Yes!

Woukd you like us to send you our funny, odd bizarre stories about needing a locksmith?

I have a couple of doozies.

Quote Originally Posted by Siskiyoumom View Post
    Yes!

Woukd you like us to send you our funny, odd bizarre stories about needing a locksmith?

I have a couple of doozies.
    Why not? If I haven't seen it, I'd love to hear about it. Please just send them by PM.

'locksmith.. take your pick'

Quote Originally Posted by day late View Post
    As some of you know I wrote the 'Overthrown' series. Well the writing bug has been nibbling at me again. This time instead of fiction it would be more of a diary. I am a locksmith and you wouldn't believe all of the things that happen. The point is that my wife and I think I should write another book. She likes the title;

Adventures in Locksmithing

I prefer;

Locksmithing Is Like A Box of Chocolates,
    You Never Know What You're Gonna Get

So I'm simply asking the folks here if they might be interested in reading about the day to day experiances of a locksmith.
    Yes!!!
    Don't start nuthin', then won't be nuthin'

Quote Originally Posted by day late View Post

"Yeah, I'm interested. I'd really make it worth your time, if you know what I mean. I got contacts
    on the outside who can get you anything you need. I know lots about locks, but I'm stuck on the
    one keeping me from fulfilling my potential. Since you're such a nice guy, why don't you come visit
    me and bring a personally autographed copy? I'm sure the guards won't be suspicious, but bring
    extra cash to bribe them if necessary. Any tool you can slip inside the pages that could extricate
    me from my unjust predicament would be appreciated. Oh, and don't talk to Cisco. Thanks a lock!"

LOCKED OUT -- Amusing tales of a Locksmith

BREAKING & ENTERING -- Amusing tales of a Locksmith

Go political...

"The Hillary Diary - tales of the unknown revealed by a Master Locksmith."

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

Democratic leaders are alarmed over the theft of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's personal diaries
    because their contents most likely contain extremely sensitive notes on meetings within the
    inner circle of Pelosi and her cronies. A huge reward has been offered for their safe return,
    but as of today the location of these private journals is unknown. Some anonymous insiders
    believe a great scandal will erupt and fester since the journals are easily accessed, because
    Alexandria always kept the keys inserted in the locks so she wouldn't lose them. If you know
    the whereabouts of these important documents, please notify your local Democratic officials.
    Under no circumstances should you give them to Republican conservatives! The fate of our
    nation is at stake!
    Do the left thing, and you might get a reduction on new taxes you will have
    to pay under the Green New Deal plan. Alexandria may even decide to like you on Facebook.

Post number two is up for those interested.