Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

POL Pelosi, Dem leaders condemn Rep. Omar for 'anti-Semitic' language - UPDATE, post 5
+ Reply to Thread

Pelosi, Dem leaders condemn Rep. Omar for 'anti-Semitic' language - UPDATE, post 5

Pelosi, Dem leaders condemn Rep. Omar for 'anti-Semitic' language
    Andrew O'Reilly
    6-7 minutes

In an unprecedented rebuke under the new Congress, House Democratic leaders on Monday roundly condemned Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., for statements about supporters of Israel that were widely viewed as anti-Semitic and called on her to apologize.

The statement issued by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the rest of the Democratic leadership team followed the latest in a string of controversial comments from the freshman lawmaker -- as well as pressure from Republican leaders to speak out.

“Anti-Semitism must be called out, confronted and condemned whenever it is encountered, without exception," the statement said. "We are and will always be strong supporters of Israel in Congress because we understand that our support is based on shared values and strategic interests. Legitimate criticism of Israel’s policies is protected by the values of free speech and democratic debate that the United States and Israel share. But Congresswoman Omar’s use of anti-Semitic tropes and prejudicial accusations about Israel’s supporters is deeply offensive.

"We condemn these remarks and we call upon Congresswoman Omar to immediately apologize for these hurtful comments."

The statement came after several other senior Democrats had weighed in, including the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee on which Omar sits. “Anti-Semitism in any form is unacceptable, and it’s shocking to hear a Member of Congress invoke the anti-Semitic trope of ‘Jewish money,’” Rep. Eliot Engel, D-N.Y., said earlier Monday.

This followed Rep. Jerry Nadler, D-N.Y., a prominent Jewish lawmaker and chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, saying: “It is deeply disappointing and disturbing to hear Representative Ilhan Omar’s choice of words in her exchange with a journalist yesterday, wherein she appears to traffic in old anti-Semitic tropes about Jews and money. Her words are deeply hurtful and offensive, particularly as they build on a previous comment she made about Jews ‘hypnotizing’ the world in support of Israel.”

Omar, who became the first Somali-American woman elected to Congress in November, touched off the controversy when she responded to a tweet by journalist Glenn Greenwald criticizing House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., for urging action against Omar and Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., for allegedly anti-Semitic remarks made earlier.

Greenwald accused McCarthy of targeting Omar and Tlaib for their public criticisms of Israel, to which Omar responded, "It's all about the Benjamins, baby," quoting a 1997 song by Puff Daddy. She then doubled down when challenged by Batya Ungar-Sargon, the opinion editor of The Forward newspaper.

"Would love to know who @IlhanMN thinks is paying American politicians to be pro-Israel, though I think I can guess," Ungar-Sargon tweeted. "Bad form, Congresswoman. That's the second anti-Semitic trope you've tweeted."

In response, Omar tweeted "AIPAC!" referring to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, which has been accused of agitating for a conflict with Iran.

Omar’s tweets were swiftly condemned by fellow Democrats -- including former first daughter Chelsea Clinton, who said she planned to reach out to the freshman lawmaker, and some Jewish members of Congress.

“For nearly two weeks, Rep. [Omar] has avoided meeting with me to discuss why anti-Semitic tropes like these are hurtful to so many Americans,” Rep. Josh Gottheimer, D-N.J., tweeted. “There is absolutely no place for this rhetoric in Congress -- or anywhere.”

Rep. Max Rose, D-N.Y., also called the comments "deeply hurtful."

The Anti-Defamation League, meanwhile, called on House leadership to take action in response to Omar's comments.

“Unfortunately, making insensitive statements toward the Jewish community is not new for Rep. Omar. These tweets are part of a disturbing pattern of behavior that must end,” ADL CEO Jonathan A. Greenblatt said in a statement. “... Strong bipartisan support for Israel is not a result of money or lobbying. Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East and a strong American ally in a strategically important region.”

From the Republican side of the aisle, RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel on Monday called for Pelosi to remove Omar from the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

Omar has not backed down. She told Chelsea Clinton over Twitter that she would be happy to talk to her and that “[w]e must call out smears from the GOP and their allies.”

“I believe we can do that without criticizing people for their faith,” Omar added. “I look forward to building an inclusive movement for justice with you.”

The Minnesota lawmaker has also taken to retweeting a number of posts voicing support for her and suggesting the allegations of anti-Semitism go too far.

“Equating [Omar and Tlaib’s] criticism of Israel to Steve King's long defense of white supremacy is obscene (McCarthy said it's worse),” Greenwald tweeted. “In the US, we're allowed to criticize our own government: certainly foreign governments. The GOP House Leader's priorities are warped.”

Greenwald’s tweets came after McCarthy called Friday for taking action against Omar and Tlaib for their comments.

On Monday, prior to the Pelosi statement, McCarthy alleged that Democratic leaders have abdicated their responsibility and vowed that Republicans would press ahead.

"House Democrat leadership continues to be silent as Americans from both sides of the aisle condemn this rhetoric and pattern of behavior. In the face of that abdication of leadership, Republicans will take action this week to ensure the House speaks out against this hatred and stands with Israel and the Jewish people," he said in a statement.

Fox News' Samuel Chamberlain contributed to this report.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem...srael-comments

Color me shocked!
    Attached Images

Color THEM scared to death for 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    And I love it!

We are getting a new buzzword, 'trope'/
    Hera are some definitions for 'trope'.

noun: trope; plural noun: tropes

a figurative or metaphorical use of a word or expression.
    "he used the two-Americas trope to explain how a nation free and democratic at home could act wantonly abroad"

Definition of trope. 1a : a word or expression used in a figurative sense : figure of speech. b : a common or overused theme or device : cliché the usual horror movie tropes

Trope (literature) - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trope_(literature)

A literary trope is the use of figurative language, via word, phrase or an image, for artistic effect such as using a figure of speech. The word trope has also come to be used for describing commonly recurring literary and rhetorical devices, motifs or clichés in creative works.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...-b-1-d&q=trope

Not"
    1. hairpiece-toupee
    2. or 'model'
    3. STD infestation-'My girlfriend gave me a case of Tropes.
    SS
    “Then the creatures of the high air answered to the battle, .., and the woods trembled and the wind sobbed telling them, the earth shook,; the witches of the valley, and the wolves of the forests, howled from every quarter and on every side of the armies, urging them against one another.”
    ― Lady Gregory, Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland

Dem Rep. Omar apologizes for Israel comments, calls out 'problematic' role of AIPAC, 'other lobbyists'

Dem Rep. Omar apologizes for Israel comments, calls out 'problematic' role of AIPAC, 'other lobbyists'
    Samuel Chamberlain
    4-5 minutes

Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., apologized Monday for comments in which she implied that a prominent pro-Israel lobby compensated lawmakers for their support of the Jewish state, but insisted on what she called "the problematic role of lobbyists in our politics."

"Anti-Semitism is real and I am grateful for Jewish allies and colleagues who are educating me on the painful history of anti-Semitic tropes," Omar wrote in a statement posted to Twitter. "My intention is never to offend my constituents or Jewish Americans as a whole. We have to always be willing to step back and think through criticism, just as I expect people to hear me when others attack me for my identity. This is why I unequivocally apologize."

"At the same time," she added, "I reaffirm the problematic role of lobbyists in our politics, whether it be AIPAC [the American Israel Public Affairs Committee], the [National Rifle Association] or the fossil fuel industry. It's gone on too long and we must be willing to address it."

Omar drew condemnation from members of both parties after she tweeted Sunday evening that AIPAC has been paying members of Congress to support Israel. On Monday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., called on Omar to apologize, saying that "her use of anti-Semitic tropes and prejudicial accusations about Israel's supporters is deeply offensive."

Rep. Eliot Engel, D-N.Y., the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said it was "shocking to hear a Member of Congress invoke the anti-Semitic trope of 'Jewish money.'" Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., called the comments "deeply disappointing and disturbing."

"Her words are deeply hurtful and offensive, particularly as they build on a previous comment she made [in 2012] about Jews 'hypnotizing' the world in support of Israel -- another old trope born of hate-filled texts like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion," Nadler said. " ... In this fragile moment in our nation’s history, we must all redouble our efforts to engage in policy debates in ways that respect the dignity and humanity of all people."

Omar apologized last month for posting the tweet referenced by Nadler, which read: "Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel. #Gaza #Palestine#Israel." As of Monday afternoon, the messages that caused the most recent furor were still posted on Omar's Twitter page.

Last month, Omar argued in a Yahoo! News interview that Israel could not be considered a democracy and compared it to the Islamic theocracy in Iran.

"When I see Israel institute laws that recognize it as a Jewish state and does not recognize the other religions that are living in it, and we still uphold it as a democracy in the Middle East I almost chuckle because I know that if we see that any other society we would criticize it, call it out," she said. "We do that to Iran, we do that to any other place that sort of upholds its religion. And I see that now happening with Saudi Arabia and so I am aggravated, truly, in those contradictions."

AIPAC responded Sunday night by tweeting: "We are proud that we are engaged in the democratic process to strengthen the US-Israel relationship. Our bipartisan efforts are reflective of American values and interests. We will not be deterred in any way by ill-informed and illegitimate attacks on this important work."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem...ther-lobbyists

This is a non-apology apology.
    Clintons were great at this type of evasion.
    So Democrat Omar 'chuckles' at Isreal.
    Does she 'chuckle' at the Saudis or Iran?
    I think Rep. Omar is a stinkin metaphysical trope.
    SS
    “Then the creatures of the high air answered to the battle, .., and the woods trembled and the wind sobbed telling them, the earth shook,; the witches of the valley, and the wolves of the forests, howled from every quarter and on every side of the armies, urging them against one another.”
    ― Lady Gregory, Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shacknasty Shagrat View Post
    We are getting a new buzzword, 'trope'/
    No offense intended, but that falls a little short of being an update.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Oof, "problematic." Way to pull out some #metoo nonsense and hope everyone gives you a pass for your second X chromosome.

Quote Originally Posted by RB Martin View Post
    And I love it!
    The problem with that is, if they're scared now, they may make changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    The problem with that is, if they're scared now, they may make changes.
    Yeah, much better to see them complacent now, and then panic-stricken when it's too late.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Wonder how far that Cement-filled Lead Balloon "Apology" is going to float?

Gosh, golly, gee...a Muslim hates Jews and says it and people are upset?
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

"The Joys of Gunslinging. It's Win-Win. Freedom or Glory."

Exactly.
    “Madam, you are butt-ugly”

“Apologize at once, Sir!”

“Very well, Madam. I’m sorry you are butt-ugly”
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

2020 elections are going to be an absolute circus. They’ll make 2016 look like a Princeton debating society get-together by comparison. And here I thought 2016 was a unique event in my lifetime.

Buckle up kids...

ETA: And you’d better arm-up, because the fascists will be out to kill Trump supporters this go-round.

"At the same time," she added, "I reaffirm the problematic role of lobbyists in our politics, whether it be AIPAC [the American Israel Public Affairs Committee], the [National Rifle Association] or the fossil fuel industry

she left out CAIR---color me not shocked

Doesn't the Koran say it's alright to lie to infidels?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
    Yup....

Quote Originally Posted by Shacknasty Shagrat View Post
    Clintons were great at this type of evasion.
    So Democrat Omar 'chuckles' at Isreal.
    Does she 'chuckle' at the Saudis or Iran?
    I think Rep. Omar is a stinkin metaphysical trope.
    SS
    Well. Chelsea did say that she was going to "reach out to her"...

This is pretty funny, though. The left is caught between one of their cherished
    victim groups, and the upstart "lightbulb head".
    "How could it have come to this.. an army of rabble... [spit]PEASANTS[/spit]... everything WILL change -- everything HAS changed - England's "General Cornwallis" - from "The Patriot"

Seems to me the democrat's monster has escaped the laboratory and is running amok in the village.
    Matthew 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, and shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
    Yes. I can't stand looking at her when she is in front of the cameras, a big smile on her face, trying to hide the hate in her heart. She looks like a raving lunatic with those eyes.

Here is what she is all about:

Romans 12:19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord.

She's a muzzie....what did they expect she was going to say? It is fun to watch them go after each other though.
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.