Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GUNS/RLTD WARNING! Do not use "Cheaper Than Dirt" site for guns/ammo
+ Reply to Thread
  1. 16 WARNING! Do not use "Cheaper Than Dirt" site for guns/ammo

Hey, folks... just a warning here. My hubby and I have ordered a few things in the past from "CheaperThanDirt.com" -- what used to be a great site for guns, ammo, and related products at cheap prices.

Well, it now appears as if there's some kind of embedded phishing scam happening. We went there on the site to browse a few things last night but never ended up ordering. Never even put anything in a cart. Several hours later, we received a call from our credit card fraud department. There were many charges made with our card within a couple hours' period for various online websites. But the first three fraudulent charges were from Cheaper Than Dirt. I haven't called them yet, but plan to later this morning and see if I can talk to a manager of some sort.

Anyone ever deal with this before? We just had one card info stolen a couple of weeks ago on vacation, but never had I had charges occur from just visiting a website. I know I didn't store my card info on my account with Cheaper Than Dirt, but it was the same card that I used to place orders in the past.

Yes, years ago. We had fraud. It was from an individual that was employed at a site we had recently purchased something from.

FWIW - I check my accounts EVERYDAY. I caught this before the transaction was completed and the employee was identified, and a Police report was made.

This is why I don't use Paypal. Same thing happened and they let it go through. Then returned the funds after their investigation was done.
    Thy will be done...

I dropped them so long ago I don't even recall why, while I was still at THR - price gouging? virtue signaling on evil black rifles? Something. They've been on my no-go list a long time.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Thanks for the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    I dropped them so long ago I don't even recall why, while I was still at THR - price gouging? virtue signaling on evil black rifles? Something. They've been on my no-go list a long time.
    Price gouging is the most likely reason.
    They were sticking it to people during one of the "assault weapon" scares.

I had the same thing happen two years ago after I visited an auto parts dealer (on-line). I never identified myself nor placed anything in their cart, as I was merely browsing sites for the best price on the item I needed. A week later I got an email from them confirming an order I supposedly placed with them.
    The event obviously confused me since I didn't order from them. I called and cancelled but they couldn't explain how it happened.
    Go figure....
    ďDonít pick a fight, but if you find yourself in one, I suggest you make damn sure you win.Ē - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
    Price gouging is the most likely reason.
    They were sticking it to people during one of the "assault weapon" scares.
    I remember CTD charging $50.00 for a 25 round box of Remington .45 ACP Golden Saber ammo a few years ago.

That's when they succeeded in joining my personal sh*t list.
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I sent the post to my son. He orders stuff online but mostly casings for reloading. He use to order from CTD but don't know if he does any more. We haven't ordered anything from them in years.
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

Not via Cheaper Than Dirt, but we just had it happen to us, we got a call from our bank early this morning to call the fraud dept and gave the number. I went online and got the customer service number from their website after logging in, thinking that the phone call could be bogus.

Yep, one of our cards was hacked, and it's one we use only to have phone, satellite tv, and internet billed to. That's it, we never use it for any other purpose. I had used mine to set up two of them, and DH did the other one shortly thereafter. It was his that was hacked, so we know exactly which company....what we don't know is how, was it a dishonest employee, or since we carry the cards in our wallet do we need to get shields for our cards? Or, leave them home since we don't use them for any other purpose.

Either way, it's a pain, ticks us off royally, and makes be worry about all accounts.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    I remember CTD charging $50.00 for a 25 round box of Remington .45 ACP Golden Saber ammo a few years ago.

That's when they succeeded in joining my personal sh*t list.
    I didn’t know that, but needless to say we won’t be using them again.

11. Quote Originally Posted by TxGal View Post
    Not via Cheaper Than Dirt, but we just had it happen to us, we got a call from our bank early this morning to call the fraud dept and gave the number. I went online and got the customer service number from their website after logging in, thinking that the phone call could be bogus.

Yep, one of our cards was hacked, and it's one we use only to have phone, satellite tv, and internet billed to. That's it, we never use it for any other purpose. I had used mine to set up two of them, and DH did the other one shortly thereafter. It was his that was hacked, so we know exactly which company....what we don't know is how, was it a dishonest employee, or since we carry the cards in our wallet do we need to get shields for our cards? Or, leave them home since we don't use them for any other purpose.

Either way, it's a pain, ticks us off royally, and makes be worry about all accounts.
    I’m about ready to go back to the old days of mailing in checks for bill payments. Or setting it up through my bank. It seems it’s all too easy to have your bank and/or credit card information stolen these days. While it’s not realistic to never order anything online or use credit cards, I can tell you that we’re definitely going to be taking steps to reduce our online and virtual financial footprint. This could have been so much worse, but thanks to our bank's excellent fraud department, it got stopped before too much damage was done. Still, the thieves got off with about $400 worth of purchases from our checking account, and it will take 7-10 days to get that back.

We never put our credit card info over the internet and if they do not show a address and working land line phone N0# we will not do business with them, I even go as far to look them up on the internet using the address and phone N0# to see if they are in fact a real business.

After the Sandy Hook scare, I was looking for something that got real scarce at that time. I found them with a Google Search at a place called North Carolina Tactical. What I wanted was shown as in stock so I put them in the cart. I checked out using my debit card. The transaction seemed to go through. I never got a confirmation email and there was no charge on my card. Weeks went by and I figured they were back ordered. More weeks later I emailed them with the details of my order. I got no reply. A day or two later, there's three charges for gift cards from giftango for $100 each. My bank made me come in and fill out fraud claims for each charge. A few days later I got a full refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee on Earth View Post
    Hey, folks... just a warning here. My hubby and I have ordered a few things in the past from "CheaperThanDirt.com" -- what used to be a great site for guns, ammo, and related products at cheap prices.

Well, it now appears as if there's some kind of embedded phishing scam happening. We went there on the site to browse a few things last night but never ended up ordering. Never even put anything in a cart. Several hours later, we received a call from our credit card fraud department. There were many charges made with our card within a couple hours' period for various online websites. But the first three fraudulent charges were from Cheaper Than Dirt. I haven't called them yet, but plan to later this morning and see if I can talk to a manager of some sort.

Anyone ever deal with this before? We just had one card info stolen a couple of weeks ago on vacation, but never had I had charges occur from just visiting a website. I know I didn't store my card info on my account with Cheaper Than Dirt, but it was the same card that I used to place orders in the past.
    If you never entered your credit card on CTD website how did they get your card number?

What do you use for antivirus/antimalware?
    What about a Firewall?
    What various online websites were included in these recent fraudulent charges?
    Have you ever entered your credit card number at any of those sites?
    Is it possible your card info was lifted from one of them and not CTD?

Not defending CTD as they are no longer cheaper than dirt but I cannot understand how they could be responsible for your misfortune.
    Matthew 13:49 So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, and shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I quit using CTD when they doubled the price for Magpul 30 rnd magazines overnight when Zero got elected.

Gals & Guys,

Every credit card company will notify you by text and/or email whenever your credit cards are used....

I have made credit card charges and before I can grab my bags a text has hit my cell phone about the charge....

You really should have the feature of texts and emails sent to you when your credit cards are used if you do not already.... It can help in over watch of your credit cards.... The only drawback, is you have to read the texts and emails....

Texican....

17. Quote Originally Posted by mistaken1 View Post
    If you never entered your credit card on CTD website how did they get your card number?

What do you use for antivirus/antimalware?
    What about a Firewall?
    What various online websites were included in these recent fraudulent charges?
    Have you ever entered your credit card number at any of those sites?
    Is it possible your card info was lifted from one of them and not CTD?

Not defending CTD as they are no longer cheaper than dirt but I cannot understand how they could be responsible for your misfortune.
    I did enter my credit card number with previous CTD orders. And I was browsing their website last night on my iPad, using my Safari app. It was only an hour or so after my browsing that the first charge was made from their online store. I don’t see how it could be any other site or malware. I’d done lots of browsing in the past couple of weeks. But only an hour after I went on my (logged in) CTD site there were charges made to my account? Like I said, I never store my card number in merchants' stores. But it’s the same card I used with past purchases. I don’t know the technology used in this particular incident, but it clearly had something to do with them.

Edited to add: just to clarify, I was logged in on my CTD account. And I HAD ordered with my CC using that account in the past. Just not last night. And as far as I know, I never stored any credit card info in my account. At least not that I agreed to anyway.

If you have an account with them, then they have your info from previous purchases. They will deny it but they do.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
    If you have an account with them, then they have your info from previous purchases. They will deny it but they do.
    Yup, sounds like employee theft at CTD.
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I second or third the screw them for screwing people as soon as any little blip on the political scene comes along. They are the first to raise prices and raise them the most. I will never get anything from them again, and I buy a lot of gun parts and ammo.