Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HELP Snowblower won't Start
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    We lived in Buffalo, NY and as the oldest child of three children, I was always responsible for keeping our 2-car wide driveway clear. We had a huge old Ariens two-stage blower that always seemed to be broken - shear pins, pull-start cord, etc. (or my sister would lose her gloves in the driveway and I would jam the auger on the first pass, requiring complete disassembly to free the thing). That meant *I* had to manually shovel the whole beast of a driveway. When I left for college, my father not only maintained the old Ariens in peak condition, but he bought a SECOND snow blower with an electric start in case the first one failed. Same happened with the lawn. I used a 20 inch push mower on our huge lawn. Go off to college and my father gets a big Simplicity riding mower. Dad kept telling me it builds character....

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Engines need three things to run: air, fuel and spark. It’s trivial to determine which is lacking.
    The same answer I got from my mechanic when I asked him how he can house such an enormous amount of information to keep the old and new engines running.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Snowblower won't start, he empties the gas out each year so he doesn't think the lines/motor has varnished. OC (he's at work right now) said when he tries to start it you can hear the starter spinning but it's not catching/firing.
    If the starter is spinning but not catching- thats the problem(has zero to do with spark, compression, gas). Usually just tapping the starter with a hammer while you are spinning the starter will cause it to engage

Quote Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
    I spent 2500 bucks on one in November and we have not had a "blowable" snow yet.
    $2,500?

That must be a true beast of a snowblower!
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    $2,500?

That must be a true beast of a snowblower!

That’s what it’d cost to replace ours, it throws a lot of snow and ice and fast.

The ice... we’re at the end of the street at an intersection and the city plow boys are notorious for leaving four to five foot high drifts of snow and chunks of ice at the end of our driveway. Hence my panic to get our snowblower fixed, they’re predicting heavy wet snow which means a huge wet icy drift at the end of our driveway. Don’t need OC shoveling that stuff, or him having a heart attack shoveling that stuff!

Went to the store, got the stuff recommended here, pulled up the manual online, he’ll work on it in the morning when he gets off work.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Good luck with all that! PM me if you end up needing help shoveling. I'm closer than I was: it's a fast trip up Rt 69.

I'm not worried about tomorrow's snow. It's stuff coming on Tuesday that might be really troublesome.

A lot of folks store their motors after the season with either an intake or exhaust valve open (without knowing). This should never be done on a single cylinder engine. The engine should be slowly rotated to bring the piston up on the compression stroke. Both valves are completely close on compression.

When one valve is open or both cracked open during overlap, it allows moisture to enter into the engine by way of the open valves. The bare valve stems are exposed and oxidation will set in. In some cases, the oxidation will be so great that the spring pressure is not sufficient to close the valve once the engine is called into action many months or years later.

No compression, the engine will not start. If it does, it will run poorly and may not idle if a valve is slightly cracked open . Keep this in mind all you generator set owners. Allow the engine to run out of fuel, close the choke fully, crank the engine until it won't even sputter anymore and then some. Rotate engine by hand or otherwise to bring it up on compression stroke (single cylinder engine). Fog multiple cylinder engines with seafoam or start up once or twice in the off season or while in long term storage. Remove spark plug(s) and squirt some oil into the cylinders and rotate engine several revolutions to coat cylinder walls, reinstall plugs and bring up on compression stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    Good luck with all that! PM me if you end up needing help shoveling. I'm closer than I was: it's a fast trip up Rt 69.

I'm not worried about tomorrow's snow. It's stuff coming on Tuesday that might be really troublesome.
    Thanks for the offer. We didn't get much maybe three or four inches from looking out the window. He's up and eating breakfast and will be going out to work on the snowblower here in a bit. The neighbor was kind enough to shovel our front walk.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

The neighbor was kind enough to shovel our front walk.
    Excellent! That's all I really worry about at my house. I don't need a ticket. I dig out around the garage door but after that, I let the snow pack down on the driveway.

That's what we pretty much worry about as well, though here you have to shovel the apron portion of your driveway, and that's where the city plow drivers like to park a monster snow drift which isn't all that big today.

Yeah, they plow us in here, too, but we just have to clear the city sidewalk and pads around the cluster mailboxes, which we all take turns doing. Mostly the teenagers are tasked with those, but if I'm here during the day and it needs attention, I go take care of it.

There are 4 neighbors wandering around with large snow blowers and one just finished my 1/2 done driveway (I do about 1/4th at a time). I was very grateful!

It's working!!! He's out blowing snow now! One of the other neighbors blew the front sidewalk, well part of it anyway. Not sure what he did to get it working he'll have to update that when he's done blowing snow which should be about an hour or so.

ETA the most beautiful sound after a heavy wet snow has fallen is the sound of the snow blower turning over!

Yeah, they plow us in here, too, but we just have to clear the city sidewalk and pads around the cluster mailboxes, which we all take turns doing. Mostly the teenagers are tasked with those, but if I'm here during the day and it needs attention, I go take care of it.

There are 4 neighbors wandering around with large snow blowers and one just finished my 1/2 done driveway (I do about 1/4th at a time). I was very grateful!
    That was very nice of your neighbor!

Yeah, let us know what the problem was. I may buy a two-stage blower at the end of the season. I'm not sure I can manipulate anything heavier. I probably really need a three-stage, but I'm just not in my 20s anymore. I'm not sure I could get it started. (I can start a gas-powered chain saw!)

That was very nice of your neighbor!
    They are like the beer-drinking groups of guys that troll around with their chains, pulling people out of ditches, except they drink Pepsi and are having fun showing off their huge, 3-stage snow blowers.

I've learned to just be grateful, bake them cookies, and stay out of the way!

Yeah, let us know what the problem was. I may buy a two-stage blower at the end of the season. I'm not sure I can manipulate anything heavier. I probably really need a three-stage, but I'm just not in my 20s anymore. I'm not sure I could get it started. (I can start a gas-powered chain saw!)
    Ours has an electric start in addition to the pull start and once that puppy is going and is in gear hang on and for dear life!

They are like the beer-drinking groups of guys that troll around with their chains, pulling people out of ditches, except they drink Pepsi and are having fun showing off their huge, 3-stage snow blowers.

I've learned to just be grateful, bake them cookies, and stay out of the way!
    Sounds like a good idea! My dad was that guy in his prime.

Thank you, everyone, for the tips and suggestions. You can't even begin to imagine how happy I am right now listening to the sound of our snowblower breaking drifts at the end of the driveway. I don't worry as much when he's running the snowblower, shoveling yeah, I worry a lot especially when it's wet heavy snow.

We got about three or four inches this morning. Like Meemur said it's Tuesday that's the real wild card now.

Like Meemur said it's Tuesday that's the real wild card now.
    I'm ready for it. I slipped out for more groceries, gas, and got my week organized so that I can work at home if it becomes necessary.

I'm ready for it. I slipped out for more groceries, gas, and got my week organized so that I can work at home if it becomes necessary.
    We did that yesterday, wasn't sure how bad it was going to be today, the stores were mobbed!

Please let us know the fix so we can add it to our knowledge base. We may also be able to add suggestions so it doesn’t happen again.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

We did that yesterday, wasn't sure how bad it was going to be today, the stores were mobbed!
    Prairie Trail HyVee wasn't bad. I waited until 4:30ish. All the lines were open, and I got in and out in under 20 minutes. Oh, and that new Aldi in Ankeny looks like it may open in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted.

I use sea foam in my gas keeps things running pretty smooth

We bought some mechanic in a bottle. Poured some in the empty tank with a little gas. Hit the prime button several times and let it sit over night to clean the carburetor. It took several times of removing the plug and using starter fluid but it caught. When it warms up the carburetor will need to be thoroughly cleaned. It doesn't run well on no choke nor full choke. It ran well enough on half choke to get it all done.

I never heard of Mechanic in a Bottle. I'll look into it. Thanks!

I see it's a Walmart item:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mechanic-...gaAkOeEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by dhelman47 View Post
    I use sea foam in my gas keeps things running pretty smooth
    I second the Seafoam.

Run it pretty heavy in the gas.

I've seen it clean up some carbs that I thought were going to need to be pulled and the idle jet get hosed with carb cleaner.

Here's a little sumthin' for when you're working on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcmLij7s1wg
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Thanks, I'll look for Seafoam the next time I'm out and about running errands.