Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HELP Snowblower won't Start
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Snowblower won't Start

Snowblower won't start, he empties the gas out each year so he doesn't think the lines/motor has varnished. OC (he's at work right now) said when he tries to start it you can hear the starter spinning but it's not catching/firing.

He's not sure what the problem is and I would like to get it fixed since we're supposed to get upwards of 18-40 inches of snow here next week depending on how this new system plays out. He'll have time to work on it over the weekend.

It's a toro I do believe, it's so large you have to plug it in to start it or stand on a ladder to pull start the beast.

TIA - I'll be offline until this evening.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

I like to turn the spark plug cap to ensure a good clean connection to the plug.... ensure the choke is full..... and if there is risk of residual stale gas, pour a little dry gas or STP in tank

Got shovel?

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Got shovel?
    yes, quite a few of them actually. this snow is supposed to be wet and heavy, aka widow maker snow.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by LightEcho View Post
    I like to turn the spark plug cap to ensure a good clean connection to the plug.... ensure the choke is full..... and if there is risk of residual stale gas, pour a little dry gas or STP in tank
    thank you~!

Does it have a low oil sensor on it?
    The word Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

Did you turn key on. Choke? Prime it and turn gas flow on? Does it have gas?

It's supposed to warm up. In June.

Always have a can of starter fluid handy. That should start it, unless there's no spark. If it quits after catching for a few RPMs, then the carburetor needs to be taken apart to clean the jets, orifices and float.

Starting fluid should do it. Kind of late in the season for first start.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

Quote Originally Posted by Knighttemplar View Post
    Believe it or not, our part of Iowa hasn't had that much snow. I've been just clearing the front sidewalk with a shovel and letting the driveway pack down: it's been melting in 2 - 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by don24mac View Post
    Always have a can of starter fluid handy. That should start it, unless there's no spark. If it quits after catching for a few RPMs, then the carburetor needs to be taken apart to clean the jets, orifices and float.
    This ^^
    You could drain a little gas out of the carburetor bowl using the drain plug on the bottom of the bowl. That would get rid of any stale gas or water in the carb. If it has spark it likely needs a carb cleaning. Not a big deal on those.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    This ^^
    You could drain a little gas out of the carburetor bowl using the drain plug on the bottom of the bowl. That would get rid of any stale gas or water in the carb. If it has spark it likely needs a carb cleaning. Not a big deal on those.

They stopped making drain plugs on small engine carburetors 50+ years ago and only until recently the chinese started making small engines again with these features.
    I will say out of this as it's hard to trouble shoot problems like this over the internet or phone, if I was only down the road I could be able to get it running in a hour or so.
    Where she is at the shops ae still open for another two hours.

You say the starter is spinning but not catching. Do you mean the engine is not turning over with the electric starter?

If so.
    There is a gear on the shaft of the stater. When you give it power and she shaft spins and "flings" the gear to the end where it engages the flywheel.
    If that gear is stuck and won't "fling" out it will just sound like a motor running.
    You should be able to remove the sheet metal "guard" in that area to see the gear and shaft. Might be able to tap it and knock it loose or hose it down with some wd40.

Engines need three things to run: air, fuel and spark. It’s trivial to determine which is lacking.

I thought a "snowblower" was a gay penguin...
    If at first you don't secede, try, try again!

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Snowblower won't start, he empties the gas out each year so he doesn't think the lines/motor has varnished. OC (he's at work right now) said when he tries to start it you can hear the starter spinning but it's not catching/firing.

He's not sure what the problem is and I would like to get it fixed since we're supposed to get upwards of 18-40 inches of snow here next week depending on how this new system plays out. He'll have time to work on it over the weekend.

It's a toro I do believe, it's so large you have to plug it in to start it or stand on a ladder to pull start the beast.

TIA - I'll be offline until this evening.
    Starter spinning but not engaging the motor. My old Sears Craftsman snowblower does that about every year. Then I have to resort to using the pull starter.

I had a tune up guy come out every year to service the blower. He would tinker with the starter for a moment and the electric start would work for another year. Rinse and repeat.

This year I just gave up on snow blowing. I found a guy who will plow my two car wide driveway (about five cars long) and shovel the walkway to my front door for a whopping $25.00 a visit. He has been out here three times this year and did a timely and adequate job.

We get snow four or five times a year here in SE WI.

I figured the plow guy will cost me $100 - $125 smackers per year versus tune-up guy charging $80.00 a year to maintain my vintage snowblower. I will need a new snowblower soon and that would cost around $700.00 or so.

I figure contracting out would save me money and a lot of hassle in the long run.
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Engines need three things to run: air, fuel and spark. It’s trivial to determine which is lacking.
    It needs to be turned over as well.
    If the starter is not going that and she can't pull the string that's a problem.

They stopped making drain plugs on small engine carburetors 50+ years ago and only until recently the chinese started making small engines again with these features.
    I will say out of this as it's hard to trouble shoot problems like this over the internet or phone, if I was only down the road I could be able to get it running in a hour or so.
    Where she is at the shops ae still open for another two hours.
    I have one from 2000 that has the spring loaded drain plug. Tecumseh put them on most 7-10hp snowblower engines until they stopped making engines shortly after I bought mine. Honda and some Honda clones still have a drain plug on the bottom of the carb that has to be removed with a wrench.

When the season is over then it is good practice to just run the snowblower out of gas. It is the summer heat that cooks the gas and damages the carb. If the snowblower has a fuel shut off then just turn it off and run the engine until it quits. The gas in the tank will keep at least a year.

No such action is necessary for equipment run in the summertime and stored for the winter in a cold area. Cold temps equals very little Chemistry going on.
    But not likely to die free

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    I will need a new snowblower soon and that would cost around $700.00 or so.
    I spent 2500 bucks on one in November and we have not had a "blowable" snow yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas Parker View Post
    I thought a "snowblower" was a gay penguin...
    No, a Snowblower is a frosted drink they serve down at The Manhole.
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Engines need three things to run: air, fuel and spark. Itís trivial to determine which is lacking.
    I would like add "Compression" to your list. It is often overlooked, and yet very important. There are several types of failures that can lessen or eliminate compression.
    Last edited by BornFree; 02-08-2019 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Fix spelling
    But not likely to die free

Right now it's the starter not engaging and I'm guessing it's such a best she can't pull start it.

Quote Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
    You say the starter is spinning but not catching. Do you mean the engine is not turning over with the electric starter?

If so.
    There is a gear on the shaft of the stater. When you give it power and she shaft spins and "flings" the gear to the end where it engages the flywheel.
    If that gear is stuck and won't "fling" out it will just sound like a motor running.
    You should be able to remove the sheet metal "guard" in that area to see the gear and shaft. Might be able to tap it and knock it loose or hose it down with some wd40.
    On a car or pickup, if the starter wasn't engaging, whacking it a few times with a wooden hammer handle often made it work for awhile.

Make sure the gas you put in the snowblower is not old.
    Look into gas tank to make sure there is gas in there.
    Make sure oil is at proper level. Some engines will not start if there is not enough oil.
    The suggestion of loosening the screw under the carburetor to drain old gas, is a good suggestion.
    Remove air filter and try to start it, if it starts your air filter is dirty.
    The suggestion of squeezing and turning the wire attached to spark plug is a good suggestion.
    If you have a honda engine on snowblower there will be a fuel shut off switch, make sure it is open.
    Check spark plugs for proper gap and make sure they are clean. Spray starter fluid in there.
    Take cover off carburetor and spray starter fluid in there.
    Since you are checking everything, Look at the blades that throw the snow to make sure there is nothing stuck in there like a stick.

Remember: All engines need fresh gas, good ignition (spark plug & wires) and good air in order to fire up.

One thing that is often overlooked is the condition of the fuel. Ethanol doesn't do any favors for our small engines, and it starts to degrade after about a month. Using premium gas helps, but I have started finding straight gas with no ethanol. There is a website that lists stations that carry it. I also add some Seafoam, or Stabile Marine for fuel stabilizers. The fuel comes out of the can looking just like it did coming from the pump, and that is after several months.

If you can smell gas when you try to start the motor, I'd check the spark plug. Pull it out, reconnect the wire and ground the plug to the head (away from the cylinder) and spin the motor to see if there is a spark. Easiest thing is to replace the plug. Could also be the ignition module, which for my 11 HP B&S ran $50 for the part, but I'd try the cheaper stuff first.

In bitterly cold weather, sometimes it helps to warm up the motor with an electric heater or hair dryer.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

Is the start motor loose? Those things seem notorious for the bolts loosening up, or the mounts breaking off, and then the gears don't mesh.
    Had it happen a lot.

If it's just that the thing won't fire, spray some starter fluid down into the plug hole and replace.

Oh..and check to make sure that the gas line valve isn't turned closed.
    Don't ask how many times......
    Last edited by WalknTrot; 02-08-2019 at 05:32 PM.

It's an 8hp Toro. The starter turns the engine but no fire. Oil is good. Put newish gas from a sealed Jerry can. No alcohol gas. Local Sinclair sells it. Don't smell gas. It does have a prime button, push it 3 or 4 times. Don't think it has a distributor since there is only 1 plug.

I have never been able to pull start it cold but has always started right up with the electric starter.
    Have to post more later, work is calling.

1) Pull the spark plug

2) With the plug wire still attached, press the bottom of the plug to some bare metal on the engine to ground it. Press firmly and hold it there.

3) Crank the engine and look for a spark across the gap

If you have a spark,

4) Pour a small amount of liquid gas down the plug hole

5) Replace the plug and tighten

6) Crank the engine and see if it tries to start.

These tests will tell you the problem. Question: have you never had to troubleshoot a small engine at some point in your life?

this time of year either it's stored at room temp or I use a magnetized heatblock on those small engines >>> having that oil sump loose makes all the difference ....

hard to tell by the description - but it's not unusual for that starter gear to hang up when cold - heat it well and whack it a bit ...

if he ran it dry - that could be the problem - someone mention a gasline valve - starter fluid for sure - wouldn't hurt to pull the plug and chek for clean and heat that a bit ....

not a great time of year to do a 1st season start - when the leaves drop it's snowblower time - get it ready & started - start it regular and let it run >>>>> end of March I start doing the mower tune ups for the year ....
    Illini Warrior

Get a new spark plug, pour a teaspoon or so of new fresh gasoline in the cylinder before install the new freshly gapped to specification plug. If the starter is engaging and the engine turns over it should fire. If it fires off and then quits you then need to disassemble and clean the carburetor. The best way to really clean
    the carburetor is to use a ultrasonic cleaner. Perhaps a local shop will have one or possibly someone who reloads ammunition.
    In Honor of T/S R.L. Hare (Chief Sly)and the members of 322 BS

When you push in a primer button
    push it fully in and let it come out slowly.
    Many people push it too fast 3-4 times.

The oil that is used in snowblower
    is also a factor. Too thick an oil
    makes it harder to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Knighttemplar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    Believe it or not, our part of Iowa hasn't had that much snow. I've been just clearing the front sidewalk with a shovel and letting the driveway pack down: it's been melting in 2 - 3 days.
    What meetup said, our first real snow is about to hit us and hard.

Right now it's the starter not engaging and I'm guessing it's such a best she can't pull start it.
    Nope especially since I tore my rotator cuff twice, I reall need to be able to start it with the electric start option. Once it’s going I’m good to move a lot of snow!

You left one out, compression. Suck, squeeze, bang and blow.

Possible cause is old gas left in the carb turned to varnish and clogged it up.

My John Deere snowblower has a drain plug on the bottom of the carb. Mines over 20 years old but still runs good because every time I use it it's a must to turn the gas off while letting it run until it stops and then drain the carb bowl every time. John Deere lawn mower over 20 years old too.

You've got another day to mess with it, Packy. It looks like the snow is due after midnight on Saturday, and the winds should remain calm tomorrow.

I had a huge drift covering my garage door after yesterday's storm! I've never had that problem before anywhere I've lived. I think I'll be planting a row of evergreen trees this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury3 View Post
    Possible cause is old gas left in the carb turned to varnish and clogged it up.

My John Deere snowblower has a drain plug on the bottom of the carb. Mines over 20 years old but still runs good because every time I use it it's a must to turn the gas off while letting it run until it stops and then drain the carb bowl every time. John Deere lawn mower over 20 years old too.
    Our toro is over 25 years old. We're about to go run errands, which includes buying fresh gas, a spark plug, and a few other things, and he'll take a look at it in the morning. Like Meemur said the wind isn't supposed to pick up until tomorrow afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Our toro is over 25 years old. We're about to go run errands, which includes buying fresh gas, a spark plug, and a few other things, and he'll take a look at it in the morning. Like Meemur said the wind isn't supposed to pick up until tomorrow afternoon.
    Around here all the gas has ethanol. For my yard power tools I get hi octane fuel... not sure but suspect it is better to use on blower, chainsaw & splitter... and mower.

When our old chevy truck (80s something) did that some one had to use a dead blow or heavy stick to hit the starter while some one else cranked it.

Think we did that for over a year before we bought a new starter and solenoid.