Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WEATHER Winter Storm Gia -- 9 dead so far in Missouri, Kansas, Indiana; hundreds stranded
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2 Winter Storm Gia -- 9 dead so far in Missouri, Kansas, Indiana; hundreds stranded

I didn't know about this. It's just nasty cold where I am, but this storm looks big, so take a look. I'll go see what else there is. I know a lot of people here live in these states, so be careful.

Alec Bryner
    ‏ @alec_ncis
    13m13 minutes ago

#snowstorm #SnowstormGia #Breaking

WeatherBug
    ‏ @WeatherBug
    53m53 minutes ago

Spend the #weekend by the fireside with a good book if you're in the Midwest, Ohio Valley or Mid-Atlantic. A #winter storm is making its way east: http://ow.ly/1COp30nhV6r #snow
    Attached Images
    Last edited by mzkitty; 01-13-2019 at 08:34 AM.
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Steve Rudin ABC7
    ‏Verified account @SteveRudinABC7
    7m7 minutes ago

ALERT: Going out to dinner tonight? Perhaps the mall or grabbing a movie? Drive with caution and leave extra travel time. #Winter Storm Warning posted for the District and around the beltway. #Snow is on the way - don't be fooled if nothing is falling now.

Joseph Marusak
    ‏Verified account @jmarusak
    13m13 minutes ago

Ice, freezing rain could make driving ‘treacherous’ in the Charlotte area, NWS warns @NWSGSP #ice #snow #weather #winter #storm #Charlotte #raleigh #nc #mountains

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...224350015.html

Sarah Fallon
    ‏ @photogforestldy
    1h1 hour ago

Winter storm in Southern Illinois - Jefferson County
    Attached Images

OMG.

Winter Storm Gia: 5 Dead, Hundreds Stranded Overnight on Missouri Interstates

4 hours ago

Winter Storm Gia Causing Major Problems on the Road
    It is not a good time to be on the roads in a area from the Midwest to the Atlantic Coast due to Winter Storm Gia.

Hundreds of people became stranded on Missouri roadways Friday night.Nearly 500 crashes, including 300 vehicles that slid off roadways, were reported Missouri.Five people were killed in weather-related crashes. A plane slid off a runway Friday afternoon at the airport in Columbia, Missouri.

Winter Storm Gia continued its siege on the Midwest Saturday after leaving hundreds of motorists stranded on Missouri roads, causing scores of crashes and killing at least five.

More than 800 motorists became stranded during rush hour Friday evening as falling snow made Missouri's Interstate 44 virtually impassable.

The Weather Channel's Jim Cantore, reporting Saturday morning from the interstate west of St. Louis, noted that many people remained stuck in conditions he called "horrible."

Some interstates in Missouri, including I-70 and I-44, reopened Saturday morning after being shutdown Friday night, but treacherous conditions continued.

At least three fatalities in Missouri are a result of weather-related crashes, local state police tweeted Friday night. The storm that has dumped up to 17 inches of snow in some areas of Missouri has also resulted in more than 2,000 calls for help and more than 175 crashes that left at least 40 people injured. Some 300 vehicles slid off the road by late Saturday morning, the Missouri State Highway Patrol

State police in Kansas also reported fatality crash related to the storm, KVOE reported. Bradley Horton, 62, of Topeka was killed after losing control of his pickup truck and striking the center barrier on the Kansas Turnpike. Horton reportedly was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.

A second Kansas crash Friday evening involving two semi-trailers killed at least one, KWCH reports.

Saturday morning, more than 58,000 Missouri customers were without power, according to PowerOutage.us.

(MORE: Where Is Winter Storm Gia Headed Next?)

In a Saturday morning tweet, Missouri Gov. Mike Parson expressed concern and urged all residents to stay off the roads until conditions improved.

Friday afternoon, a plane slid off the runway after landing at Columbia Regional Airport in Columbia, Missouri, Rob Quinn tweeted shortly before 3:30 p.m. EST.

"Plane tipped - wing almost hitting the ground. ... I’m on exit row. Bus coming to get us. Stewardess just announced 'congratulations on surviving your first plane crash,'" he said in a tweet.

KOMU-TV reported the plane was American Airlines Flight 5766 from Dallas. The station said passenger Theresa Cook said there were no injuries. A bus sent to take passengers from the plane got stuck, and passengers had to be driven to the terminal three at a time.

In Iowa, southbound lanes of Interstate 35 near Decatur City remained closed Saturday morning after a passenger bus carrying seven passengers struck an overturned tractor-trailer, injuring one, the Associated Press reports.

There is a photo album here:

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-0...rm-gia-impacts
    Attached Images

Well. You go, girl.

Vanessa Julia Lutz
    ‏ @AngelaMcCourt55
    4h4 hours ago

#LMAO the @weatherchannel calls normal snowfall of 5 or 8 inches a #storm which proves just how f*ckin candyass we've become. People in #Buffalo don't piss & moan when they're diggin out of 4 ft or more. It's #winter, it snows, #dealwithit you pussy!

Ryan Kaufman
    ‏Verified account @RyanWTAP
    15m15 minutes ago

#Breaking: #Washington county sheriff has issued a LEVEL 1 Snow Emergency. #ohwx

Ryan Kaufman
    ‏Verified account @RyanWTAP
    21m21 minutes ago

#Breaking: #Morgan county sheriff has issued a LEVEL 1 Snow Emergency. #ohwx

Forecaster John
    ‏ @jb_weather
    2m2 minutes ago

#BREAKING: I have once again INCREASED totals! Now, a general 5-10"+ of snow is expected for areas south of DC. Undeniable trends continue to show a significant impact for the Mid-Atlantic on Sunday. Winter Storm WARNINGS are up for the region. Stay with JB Weather for the latest
    Attached Images

We got enough snow out of this last night to make the ground white this morning, but we are pretty much on the southern edge of the storm, and the snow was completely gone by noon.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

CBS4 Indy

‏Verified account @CBS4Indy
    35s35 seconds ago

#BREAKING: Interstate 65 northbound has been shut down at the 175mile-marker due to crashes.

LIVE BLOG: Latest Winter Storm Updates, Pics & Video

https://cbs4indy.com/2019/01/11/live...-winter-storm/
    Attached Images

The Latest: Midwest winter storm turns deadly on roads

12:37 pm
    January 12, 2019

ST. LOUIS (AP) — The Latest on a winter storm sweeping across parts of the Midwest this weekend (all times local):

12:35 p.m.

Authorities in Kansas and Missouri have reported at least five killed in crashes as a winter storm sweeps across the Midwest.

The storm moved into Kansas and Nebraska from the Rockies on Friday, then east into Missouri and Illinois. Snow is covering roads and making driving dangerous. Up to 11 inches (28 centimeters) of snow was reported in St. Louis.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol says that among those killed in crashes were a woman and her 14-year-old stepdaughter whose car slid into the path of a semitrailer on Friday in Clinton, about 80 miles (130 kilometers) southeast of Kansas City. Another woman died when her car slid on U.S. 24 in northern Missouri and was hit by an oncoming SUV.

In Kansas, the Highway Patrol says a 62-year-old man died after his pickup truck skidded on the Kansas Turnpike and hit a concrete barrier. The patrol says another crash involving two semitrailers in snowy conditions killed a 41-year-old driver from Mexico.

More here:

https://wrex.com/category/2019/01/12...adly-on-roads/

All of central Indiana is getting its share. They were brining the roads as early as Thursday; I never saw them do that up in the northern part of the state. We currently have a lot of empty shelves so people were paying attention to the warnings.

It’s been coming down at a pretty good clip here for about 22 hours. And yes, we are not use to lake effect type snows here in Missouri! I don’t think anyone is complaining, just loving being snowed in and not having to go anywhere.
    Attached Images
    "When the shepherd becomes the wolf, the first duty of the flock is to defend itself.”
    ~Dom Prosper Guéranger

We've got ice here where we are. No snow yet. Power went off for 3 hours last night and is blinking today. We already planned to stay home. But some idiots just can't help themselves.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    — Robert Heinlein

Yeah, we've got a cigarette and candy run scheduled for later this afternoon. It looks like I'll be shoveling snow for the next day or so.
    Attached Images
    From a fireball we came, crossed sea and mountain
    We were drinking beauty with our eyes
    We were given all to make our own, let us be left alone

III

We have a slug of weather thats supposed to start dumping 3" to 4" of snow on us in the next few hours and keep going until Sunday night.
    I have my eye on this one too and looks like it's headed right for my location.

Here in Wildwood, MO we have 12" of snow.
    "People are best convinced by reasons they discover on their own."

"The next 20 years are going to be completely unlike the last 20 years." - Chris Martenson (The New 2014 Crash Course)

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    We have a slug of weather thats supposed to start dumping 3" to 4" of snow on us in the next few hours and keep going until Sunday night.
    I have my eye on this one too and looks like it's headed right for my location.

Correction! Just stepped outside and it's starting now

That was just a nice rain here in north Texas yesterday.
    "When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." ~ Frederic Bastiilt

"Duty is ours; results are God's."

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Gandillon View Post
    Here in Wildwood, MO we have 12" of snow.
    WOW! I don't know what part of the state that is but 12" is a pretty good amount for MO.
    We are in the south central part of the state and it looks like all that is left for us will be rain with a bit of ice/snow in it.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    — Robert Heinlein

I have a solid six inches of heavy wet snow. Should stop soon for the Chiefs game in town I hope.

I'm sick of winter already. It all just looks so blechy.

----------------

r.e.maguire
    ‏ @MacUidhir

@Kahleemoon1201 Meanwhile in #Missouri, the #snow #storm is getting serious! The snowflakes are very large

Little vid:

https://twitter.com/MacUidhir/status...64348434661376

NWS DC/Baltimore
    ‏Verified account @NWS_BaltWash
    42m42 minutes ago

Winter Storm Warnings have been expanded further northward this afternoon as expected snowfall has increased for much of the area. #Snow will persist into Sunday, potentially mixing with rain/sleet across southern MD. Latest: http://weather.gov/lwx/winter . #DCwx #MDwx #VAwx #WVwx

Storm Team 4 NY

‏Verified account @StormTeam4NY
    46m46 minutes ago

Going out tonight? Watch out for slick roads after midnight with light snow falling around the tri-state. #NYC
    #weather #snow
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Correction! Just stepped outside and it's starting now

Starting off with lots of really small snow flakes not a good sign.

I'd like to see some snowflakes down here. So far, this winter has brought us nothing but rain, rain, and more rain. The ground is so soggy that trees are toppling over with every little breeze. I'm sick of it. Spring can't get here soon enough!

Thankfully, looks we dodged the bullet up here in the Chicago area, only supposed to get 1-3” but I talked to my mom down in central Illinois and they are expecting possibly up to 12”. At least up here they already have the salt trucks and plows out instead of waiting until the snow stops like they usually do.

We're right in the middle of this storm, I didn't realize it was bad enough to give it a name. It seems like average snowfall to me. It's the first real snow of the season for us. There is about six inches on the ground and it's still snowing. The temperature has been right at freezing or slightly above all day, so it's a very wet, slushy snow.

The big fuss around Indy this weekend is the Indianapolis Colts football team is in Kansas City today to play the Chiefs for the first NFL playoff game late this afternoon. This snowstorm is worse in Kansas City and the stadium has no roof, so it should be interesting. It's a straight shot on I-70 from Indy through St. Louis to KC and lots of Colts fans made the trip. If they didn't leave yesterday, they are driving in snow all the way today.
    Terri in Indiana

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

I am in Columbia missouri and we have 15' right now and still snowing somewhat. Dogs are having a ball in the snow. Electric went out last night around 2am and disn't come back on till around 10am. Roads are impassable for the most part. Lots of accidents on the hwt 63 and 70 from what local news says. We are hunkered down with lots of hot chocolate and good books. local news ss 85,000 without power now.

We're wayyy down south in MO, close to Ark state line and we've pretty much just had rain since yesterday morning...a little ice on the trees but gone later this a.m. No snow for us... ;(
    Our local weather last night said it could turn out to be a doozie up north and east of us and they were right...for once!
    Y'all stay safe out there.
    Once you master people by force you depend on force for control.

Better to be an hour early than one minute late.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think" Adolph Hitler

Not good........

Howard Altschule
    ‏ @FWCWeather
    29m29 minutes ago

#WINTER STORM snarls Midwest roads, claims at least 7 lives http://gpwx.news/8kgxv #FWCWeather

Updated on: January 12, 2019 / 3:10 PM

A winter storm sweeping across parts of the Midwest has snarled traffic in several states, left at least seven people dead and thousands more without power in the dead of winter.

The storm moved into Kansas and Nebraska from the Rockies on Friday, then east into Missouri and Illinois, covering roads and making driving dangerous. The Missouri State Highway Patrol says nearly 300 vehicles had slid off roads across the state and more than 175 crashes had been reported by late Saturday morning.

Authorities in Kansas and Missouri reported at least three people killed in each state, most of them in vehicle accidents. The Indiana State Police confirmed one death in that state.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/midwest...ansas-indiana/

My sis is in Bellefontaine Neighbors, a burb in North St. Louis Cty….12'' about...other relatives don't know a thing of their situation...…

here along front range Denver had snow yesterday just enough to slush up the parking lots and cover grass etc....south had more...today dry chill and sunny...

Wildwood MO...….I know that area
    Sapphire

myopically challenged

Cry me a river . . . anyone who watched or listened to the weather knew this storm was coming.

There was ZERO excuse for "casual" drivers to be out in it (of course "necessary" personnel and professional truckers are not included in that statement).

Oh, yeah . . . you don't "need" to drive to Iowa City just because your team is playing. Stay home! Drunken fans are a huge part of the problem . . .

We got enough to light-whiten the ground last night but no more here in the North Coast. Now Ooops, down SE from here is actually gonna get some SNOW this time....I refuse to hog it all.
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my brothers' children (and their parents) may have peace, and have NO KNOWLEDGE of what I have done."

TACAMO!! NOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    We got enough to light-whiten the ground last night but no more here in the North Coast. Now Ooops, down SE from here is actually gonna get some SNOW this time....I refuse to hog it all.
    So kind of you...
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

“During the course of your life you will find that things are not always fair. You will find that things happen to you that you do not deserve and that are not always warranted. But you have to put your head down and fight, fight, fight. Never, ever, ever give up!”

- President Donald J. Trump

Quote Originally Posted by TerriHaute View Post
    We're right in the middle of this storm, I didn't realize it was bad enough to give it a name. It seems like average snowfall to me. It's the first real snow of the season for us. There is about six inches on the ground and it's still snowing.
    I believe the government, for whatever reason, decided to change the amount of snow, wind speeds, something along those lines for when they determine if there is a "winter storm" or a blizzard. Anymore they are calling just basic days of light to moderate snow a storm. They are just trying to stay relevant I guess. The whole things seems stupid to me. I could see issuing an advisory, but calling this a storm is a bit much.

Nick Merianos
    ‏ @NickMerianos
    7m7 minutes ago

#BREAKING: Virginia Governor @RalphNortham declares State of Emergency as significant impacts are anticipated from the winter storm. #VAwx
    Attached Images

34. I'm in the Northern Rockies, we got a foot of snow yesterday.

It's been spitting snow here in northern VA since 2pm this afternoon.
    as of 1945, we have an inch on the ground and it's still coming down.
    Office of Emergency mgmt. for our county is saying we'll get 7-10 inches before it's all over with.

We're inside snug as a bug in a rug, did the mandatory "bread, milk, toilet paper" run when I got off from work today. 4wd got checked, we have plenty of provisions (and lots of ice melt) so we're in good shape.
    Let it snow!

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    Nick Merianos
    ‏ @NickMerianos
    7m7 minutes ago

#BREAKING: Virginia Governor @RalphNortham declares State of Emergency as significant impacts are anticipated from the winter storm. #VAwx

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaMan View Post
    Office of Emergency mgmt. for our county is saying we'll get 7-10 inches before it's all over with.

We're inside snug as a bug in a rug, did the mandatory "bread, milk, toilet paper" run when I got off from work today. 4wd got checked, we have plenty of provisions (and lots of ice melt) so we're in good shape.
    Let it snow!
    Yeah, but you still have to walk Asta in this slop, don't you?

Yep, but as he gets older he's more efficient with snowy walks.
    He goes out, pees poops and makes a beeline for the door. Used to he would love to dive headfirst into the snow and play in it. He's grown wiser, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    Yeah, but you still have to walk Asta in this slop, don't you?

Let it snow!

About the same starting time and same amount of snow fall here. I checked about an hour ago and had just over 3/4" so yeah an inch.
    We got an insane amout of rain last year and got some more after new years and if Decembers rain fall was snow we would be buried in snow or under a foot of ice.
    Last edited by Publius; 01-12-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Yep, but as he gets older he's more efficient with snowy walks.
    He goes out, pees poops and makes a beeline for the door. Used to he would love to dive headfirst into the snow and play in it. He's grown wiser, thankfully.
    Nice doggy.

This happened as I was leaving work on Friday. At the time the roads were just slushy.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol says that among those killed in crashes were a woman and her 14-year-old stepdaughter whose car slid into the path of a semitrailer on Friday in Clinton, about 80 miles (130 kilometers) southeast of Kansas City.

She lost control and went across into the oncoming lane and was hit by a semi head on. Sad. She was a middle school teacher, and her step daughter.

I only have about 5 inches of snow.