Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT What to do with all this long-term storage food? Sell or donate or what?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What to do with all this long-term storage food? Sell or donate or what?

I had my own apocalypse three years ago when my husband died, and I have moved four times in three years. I'm getting ready to move again - into a family member's home - and I have to get rid of a LOT of long-term storage "prepper" food.

It's under six years old and some of it is less than three years, and most of it had a shelf date of 20+ years. It's quality stuff, and purchased from the best places.

Being the meticulous type, I have a little bit of everything, meat, grain, butter, cheese, and more. I tried advertising on Facebook Marketplace, but those are not the prepping type. And Craigs List is just for scammers these days.

Here's the question: What do I do with this stuff? I'd like to sell it, even if I can only get pennies on the dollar.

It's well more than $2,000 worth of long-term food.

I don't have any family that'd be interested, and I am not going to keep it.

Thanks for ideas. I don't want to throw it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty_Rose View Post
    I had my own apocalypse three years ago when my husband died, and I have moved four times in three years. I'm getting ready to move again - into a family member's home - and I have to get rid of a LOT of long-term storage "prepper" food.

It's under six years old and some of it is less than three years, and most of it had a shelf date of 20+ years. It's quality stuff, and purchased from the best places.

Being the meticulous type, I have a little bit of everything, meat, grain, butter, cheese, and more. I tried advertising on Facebook Marketplace, but those are not the prepping type. And Craigs List is just for scammers these days.

Here's the question: What do I do with this stuff? I'd like to sell it, even if I can only get pennies on the dollar.

If you are willling to take a loss, are you willing to pay for a storage spot? Your family MAY change their mind any day now...
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    If you are willling to take a loss, are you willing to pay for a storage spot? Your family MAY change their mind any day now...
    Nope. It just needs to go.

I died three months ago, and was dead and gone for 10+ minutes. I came back from heaven and every thing changed.

I'm moving on with my life. I'm a different person now. I've sold off a lot of furniture, my car, and am now selling the house. This stuff needs to go.

I was going to say save it, just in case, but then saw you really don't want to keep it. My gut prepper instinct says family may not want it now, but they may later when it's a heck of a lot more expensive...

You might try posting it for sale here in the Corkboard, I think there's an area for items for sale, too. I'd guess there might be a lot of people interested in the long term food.

Quote Originally Posted by TxGal View Post
    I was going to say save it, just in case, but then saw you really don't want to keep it. My gut prepper instinct says family may not want it now, but they may later when it's a heck of a lot more expensive...

You might try posting it for sale here in the Corkboard, I think there's an area for items for sale, too. I'd guess there might be a lot of people interested in the long term food.
    Thanks. I could really use the money right now. I'm paying off some medical bills.

Although you would have to deal with the actual process of shipping it and fees, you might look into selling it on ebay. Don't do free shipping. I was cleaning out some stuff I had around the house, put a lot of it on ebay, and it felt so good each trip to the post office (or you can arrange for free pickups).
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Wish I was closer. I'd buy some of it.
    Please, come say Hi! and share your experience/knowledge. I love to learn.

http://survivingtothrivin.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kyrsyan View Post
    Me, too! Hopefully, someone here who is within driving range will want it.
    Visit my Etsy shop at www.etsy.com/shop/TheCrochetFarm

If we aren't showing love, His love, then what are we doing calling ourselves Christians?

Psalm 73: 25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
    26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.

It is practical to simply start eating it? Between you and your relatives, you should be able to whittle it down.
    Last edited by Profit of Doom; 01-12-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Donít use your last bullet on them.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Like Profit of Doom said, you should try eating some of it. Whether you want to keep or sell it, you still need to eat, right? Then I'd sort out everything you don't want to eat and put it in Swaps & Sales here on TB2K and see if any members would be interested in it. We'd be interested but we're too far away (southern Mississippi) to make a visit practical. Of course you can pretty much ship anything anywhere, but the costs might add up. Also, don't expect to get much return on your investment. Prep foods don't usually retain a high resale value and it diminishes with every passing year.

Best regards
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post
    Like Profit of Doom said, you should try eating some of it. Whether you want to keep or sell it, you still need to eat, right? Then I'd sort out everything you don't want to eat and put it in Swaps & Sales here on TB2K and see if any members would be interested in it. We'd be interested but we're too far away (southern Mississippi) to make a visit practical. Of course you can pretty much ship anything anywhere, but the costs might add up. Also, don't expect to get much return on your investment. Prep foods don't usually retain a high resale value and it diminishes with every passing year.

Best regards
    Doc
    Yeah, I know I'll be lucky if I get 10 cents on the dollar. I just don't want to pitch it in the trash. And I don't want to haul it around anymore.

Nope. It just needs to go.

I died three months ago, and was dead and gone for 10+ minutes. I came back from heaven and every thing changed.

I'm moving on with my life. I'm a different person now. I've sold off a lot of furniture, my car, and am now selling the house. This stuff needs to go.
    I would LOVE to hear about your experience. What you saw or heard, and what has changed.
    LeV

I would put it in Craigslist and on the site here. Maybe someone here will buy it. I would keep a few cases of the most calorie dense stuff and just keep it under your bed at your relatives.

If you can't sell it, donate it to a food pantry or church group. If it isn't close to the expiration date, they will be glad to have it. I did that with some of my long term prep food after Y2k turned out to be a bust.

As Southern Breeze said-donate it. And get the tax slip when you do; if you sold your house your tax bill may increase. Donating the food and getting the tax deduction may help you.

Quote Originally Posted by LeViolinist View Post
    I would LOVE to hear about your experience. What you saw or heard, and what has changed.
    Should I start a new thread?

I have shared this story with so many people, and so many people tell me, "You've got to write a book about this," which is funny, because I've already written nine books on history. This would be a very new genre.

My whole life, I have studied the Bible intensely and read Bible commentaries cover to cover. I have also read about Near Death Experiences but I never figured that I would have one.

It's not your typical near-death experience. I don't even like to call it an NDE. I call it my "temporary death experience" because I was good and dead. No heart beat, no blood pressure and no nothing for 10+ minutes. After a time of transitioning through a darkness, I was taken to a brilliantly lit white room and I was shown a door (after having a really good time in this transitional experience) and told that I could go through the door or return to earth. I said, "You don't have to ask me twice! I'm so grateful to be in this place. I'm not going back!"

And then...well...it's a long story but someone (a spiritual being) had a talk with me, and I ended up back on that gurney in the ER with lots and lots of action going on around me.

Wow, was I ever disappointed to be "back."

After that, I was hospitalized for five days. What started all this? Subsequent to a minor outpatient procedure on my lady parts, I had "died" from hypovolemic shock. I lost more than 40% of my blood volume and my heart stopped. That's when I popped out of my body like toast out of a toaster. Man, that was FUN! I was floating away and having the time of my life - literally. LOL.

I was accompanied by a massive spiritual being, and I was told many beautiful things.

After I was back, and confined to a hospital bed for several days, the angels swarmed me. I was more in *that* world than this one. The spiritual beings that kept me company felt more real than the medical personnel that came into my hospital room. The angels sang me the most beautiful songs you can imagine. They told me so many beautiful things. They answered my many questions. I would cry when they talked to me, because it touched me so deeply.

How did it change me? In every way imaginable.

One tiny example: Several days after I came out of the hospital, I was sitting in a church and the pianist started playing a hymn. Out of nowhere, I started to sob. I could *see* the music and it was so beautiful that I was in awe. It resonated with my heart and soul in a way that I couldn't stop myself from sobbing. The beauty was overwhelming on every level. I had to look away because I was crying too hard. It was too much beauty for me to take in.

That's one tiny example.

I've already written more than 35 pages (typed) for my own notes of what I experienced. And every day, the experience continues to unfold, and I understand more and more. It's incredible. God really, really, really likes me. Just learning that has been transformative.

Can you give a little more of a description of it please? Like is it 10 cases of Mountain House #10 cans, buckets of meal pouches like Augason Farms sells, etc ?
    I might know someone who would be interested.
    "Remember that 'We come in peace business,' .....bite me." -Col. Jack O'Neill, SG1

Yes, definitely start another thread. Consider members stories, although that is usually fiction, you are a member and you do have a story to tell.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Donít use your last bullet on them.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Donate it to the local soup kitchen or food banks

I also would LOVE to hear your story!

PLEASE write it out and tell us--either here, or on the REL sig, or wherever---but please do post it!
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubledÖLet no man deceive you by any meansÖ..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be savedÖ.for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lieÖ.
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Please come back to tell us which board to look on. You have a very interesting story!
    I've thrown my back out trying to kiss my ass goodbye.

The Reader's Digest version is up there^^^^.

The Reader's Digest version is up there^^^^.
    We want the movie!
    I've thrown my back out trying to kiss my ass goodbye.

That was very inspiring and hopeful, Betty Rose. I, too, hope that you are willing to share more of your experience. What did you ask? What were the answers? I don't know about anyone else, but I could "feel" the beauty and happiness in your words!

Quote Originally Posted by kyrsyan View Post
    Ditto!!!

BTW, I understand! When i was 16, I had a similar experience. The memory is still fresh in my mind.

Great story about your experience, Betty Rose, thank you so much!!

I'd be willing to drive down and pick it up. I think I live fairly close.

Betty Rose......did you recognize anyone you met up there? Usually there is a family member or several that you don't even know you were close to before you came to earth.
    True North Strong and Free

I really would love to hear the entire story, or whatever you can share.
    I also died for a couple minutes in the late 70's - no recall -- but things changed drastically when I got out of the hospital.
    Looking forward to hearing your experience.
    LeV

Central VA here...my family and I are pretty broke though.
    Also, please tell more of your story.....

I would be interested in picking up the food if it's still available!
    Would you care to list what you have and prices?
    Or would you rather price the lot as a whole?

If Sozo does not get it, I'd be willing to drive and pick it up as well.
    The most important days in a persons life are the day they were born and the day they find out why!

KEEP IT, USE FOR BARTERING IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO BARTER WITH.

Besides the storm is coming, you can Smell the anger growing. Life isn’t the same, Congress and Supreme Court, not to mention Wall, Government shutdown and gun control.
    God Bless Us & God Bless America!

Should I start a new thread?

I have shared this story with so many people, and so many people tell me, "You've got to write a book about this," which is funny, because I've already written nine books on history. This would be a very new genre.

My whole life, I have studied the Bible intensely and read Bible commentaries cover to cover. I have also read about Near Death Experiences but I never figured that I would have one.

It's not your typical near-death experience. I don't even like to call it an NDE. I call it my "temporary death experience" because I was good and dead. No heart beat, no blood pressure and no nothing for 10+ minutes. After a time of transitioning through a darkness, I was taken to a brilliantly lit white room and I was shown a door (after having a really good time in this transitional experience) and told that I could go through the door or return to earth. I said, "You don't have to ask me twice! I'm so grateful to be in this place. I'm not going back!"

And then...well...it's a long story but someone (a spiritual being) had a talk with me, and I ended up back on that gurney in the ER with lots and lots of action going on around me.

Wow, was I ever disappointed to be "back."

After that, I was hospitalized for five days. What started all this? Subsequent to a minor outpatient procedure on my lady parts, I had "died" from hypovolemic shock. I lost more than 40% of my blood volume and my heart stopped. That's when I popped out of my body like toast out of a toaster. Man, that was FUN! I was floating away and having the time of my life - literally. LOL.

I was accompanied by a massive spiritual being, and I was told many beautiful things.

After I was back, and confined to a hospital bed for several days, the angels swarmed me. I was more in *that* world than this one. The spiritual beings that kept me company felt more real than the medical personnel that came into my hospital room. The angels sang me the most beautiful songs you can imagine. They told me so many beautiful things. They answered my many questions. I would cry when they talked to me, because it touched me so deeply.

How did it change me? In every way imaginable.

One tiny example: Several days after I came out of the hospital, I was sitting in a church and the pianist started playing a hymn. Out of nowhere, I started to sob. I could *see* the music and it was so beautiful that I was in awe. It resonated with my heart and soul in a way that I couldn't stop myself from sobbing. The beauty was overwhelming on every level. I had to look away because I was crying too hard. It was too much beauty for me to take in.

That's one tiny example.

I've already written more than 35 pages (typed) for my own notes of what I experienced. And every day, the experience continues to unfold, and I understand more and more. It's incredible. God really, really, really likes me. Just learning that has been transformative.
    You must write this book! It could very well be the next best seller and all of your money worries will be history. I'm a fiction editor but I have edited a lot of narrative non-fiction, which is what your book would be. To help you out, I will edit your story here for you to use as your query letter. I will PM it to you if you're interested in publishing your story, and I hope you will be. I will also help you find the right publisher. No charge. I simply want to help you find a commercial publisher for your fascinating story, and they will take it from there. Best of luck to you!

Hi, Betty! I'm also in SE VA, please check your private messages. I'm interested in buying your food. Thanks!
    Don't start nuthin', then won't be nuthin'

Quote Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
    You must write this book! It could very well be the next best seller and all of your money worries will be history. I'm a fiction editor but I have edited a lot of narrative non-fiction, which is what your book would be. To help you out, I will edit your story here for you to use as your query letter. I will PM it to you if you're interested in publishing your story, and I hope you will be. I will also help you find the right publisher. No charge. I simply want to help you find a commercial publisher for your fascinating story, and they will take it from there. Best of luck to you!
    Hi Catnip,

It's been my lifelong dream to write a book that brings the world a blessing. Writing about history was fun, but my heart *burns* to tell this story of the goodness of God and the reality of heaven and the presence of angels.

I've sent you an email.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
    Hi, Betty! I'm also in SE VA, please check your private messages. I'm interested in buying your food. Thanks!
    I've got a friend coming over after church, and we're going to do a proper inventory. I'll let you know when I have that done.

I've got a friend coming over after church, and we're going to do a proper inventory. I'll let you know when I have that done.
    Thank you, ma'am, regardless of what you choose to do with your inventory. I appreciate the update and I also like what many people have had to say about donating the food. You have shown that you pay attention to what God wants you to do with your life, and whatever you choose to do is going to be the right decision.

Hi Catnip,

It's been my lifelong dream to write a book that brings the world a blessing. Writing about history was fun, but my heart *burns* to tell this story of the goodness of God and the reality of heaven and the presence of angels.

I've sent you an email.
    Maybe now is the time!

I've decided to go ahead and leave in three weeks for the Midwest. I don't need to stay here and watch my house sell. However, I do need this stuff gone by the weekend, as that's when I have my first showing and this is a lot of stuff. Pictures available if you send me a PM with your email.

Here's what I have for sale:

SurplusKFood Corp.
    12 cans of meat (Turkey, ground beef, pork, chicken)

#10 Cans (Honeyville)
    4 - Potato cakes
    1 - re-fried beans
    1 - buttermilk powder
    1 - egg crystals
    2 - rice
    2 - peaches
    1- sugar
    1 - cereal
    1- wheat
    1 - milk
    1 - quick oats

#10 cans with entree-type meals

2 - Lasagna with meat
    1 - Chicken
    5 - Beef Stroganoff
    1 - Beef stew
    2 - spaghetti with meat
    1 - rice with chicken
    1 - chicken teriyaki
    1 - white chicken

#10 cans miscellany
    1 - eggs and sausage
    1 - green beans
    2 - apples sliced
    1 - blueberries
    1 - bananas
    1 - strawberries
    2 - chopped spinach
    2 - mandarin oranges
    2 - instant rice
    2 - pilot bread (hard tack)
    1 - granola with milk
    2 - Dog food
    1 - powdered peanut butter

Several small cans of
    cereal, sugar, processed cheese, scalloped potatoes

But wait, there's more.

I also have two large banker boxes filled to the brim with:

Tyvek Suits
    Neoprene Gloves
    3M bio masks
    duct tape
    candles and more candles
    tub liner (for capturing water during hurricane)
    mechanical pump
    water filtration devices of every name and nature
    cigarette lighters
    matches and more

The stuff in the box above is probably worth $300 alone.

If possible, I'd like to get $200 - $300 for all this, but I'll take what I can get. I need it gone SOON.

Thanks.