Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GOV/MIL Sheriff Scott Israel removed over failures during Parkland shooting
+ Reply to Thread

4 Sheriff Scott Israel removed over failures during Parkland shooting

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sh...cid=spartandhp

Sheriff Scott Israel removed over failures during Parkland shooting

By Anthony Man, Lisa J. Huriash, Linda Trischitta and Brittany Wallman, Sun Sentinel 1 hr ago

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis removed Broward Sheriff Scott Israel from office Friday, replacing him after 10 months of turmoil spawned by the slaughter of 17 staff and students in Parkland.

The governor replaced Israel with former Coral Springs Police Sgt. Gregory Tony, 40, who has a background in active-shooter training and becomes the first black sheriff in Broward County's history.

DeSantis announced the suspension from the Broward Sheriff's Office headquarters, while the displaced former sheriff prepared a response from a black church in northwest Fort Lauderdale.

The suspension caps a nearly yearlong series of revelations that exposed the failure of Broward sheriff's deputies to run in to save children at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Some deputies said they couldn't remember when they'd last been trained to handle an active shooter, even though the agency had a confused, chaotic response to a mass shooting at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in 2017.

Israel's leadership of the agency has come under intense scrutiny, and he's received extensive criticism over the massacre in which 17 people were killed and 17 wounded on Valentine's Day.

Unprepared and overwhelmed: Detailed timeline shows 58 minutes of chaos in Parkland 5/8 Investigation

Though he enjoyed strong popularity in Broward before the shooting, Israel's star fell in the aftermath, particularly after a disastrous appearance on CNN in which he praised his own leadership and glossed over his agency's mistakes.

Many family members of victims and people in Parkland, where the school is located, blame Israel for the agency's handling of the teenage killer during interactions before the shooting, and for the way it handled the situation on the day of the massacre.

The Florida Constitution gives the governor power to suspend public officials for "malfeasance, misfeasance, neglect of duty." Governors routinely remove public officials who are arrested or charged with crimes, but it is unusual to remove an officeholder who does not face criminal charges.

It was the second removal of a countywide elected official in Broward in two months. Former Gov. Rick Scott suspended elections supervisor Dr. Brenda Snipes at the end of November. Snipes had already submitted a letter of resignation.

Among those present at the sheriff's headquarters were state Rep. Chip LaMarca, R- Lighthouse Point.

"It's important that I am here to support the decision," LaMarca said.

Israel is expected to respond to the suspension later Friday from a news conference at the New Mount Olive Baptist Church in Fort Lauderdale, one of the city's oldest black churches.

Broward Sheriff's Sgt. Anthony Marciano, president of the Federation of Public Employees union, representing detention deputies, courtroom deputies and others, said Israel made some missteps: He spoke publicly too soon, when investigations were still going on; he didn't take responsibility; and he unnecessarily "poked a big bear that he didn't need to poke" when he addressed the National Rifle Association, Marciano said.

But Marciano said Israel's fate would have better been left to voters.

"I listened to all the MSD commission meetings, and the sheriff said one thing that should have resonated everybody: 'You can't teach courage to people,'" Marciano said.

Rod Skirvin, president of the Broward County Police Benevolent Association, which is attempting to regain representation of deputies, said the public's confidence in Israel was shaken.

"I think sometimes situations dictate that change has to be made just to give things a fresh face and new beginnings," Skirvin said.

Jeff Bell, head of the deputies' International Union of Police Associations and a member of DeSantis' transition team, had a more harsh assessment.

"He has turned this agency, the largest fully accredited sheriff's office in the country, into a political machine for his own well-being," Bell said. "He's incompetent and should be removed permanently before anyone else is killed on his watch."

The new sheriff, Tony, worked for 12 years as an officer and then sergeant in Coral Springs. His former boss, Coral Springs Chief Clyde Parry, said Tony had a "bright future" and he was sorry to see him leave the agency in 2016.

Tony and his wife, Holly, a nurse, operate Blue Spear Solutions, which specializes in active-shooter training and provides threat assessments on schools and other businesses.
    ___
    (Staff writers Skyler Swisher and Tonya Alanez contributed to this report.)
    Visit the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) at www.sun-sentinel.com

I posted it on 1/8/2019 - only 3 responses.

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...t=Scott+Israel
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

I have noticed a pattern that repeats itself constantly in disaster type situations.

You have poorly trained, supplied, and led people. You have a general incompetent chaotic response. After the people are dead, you find out, later that steps could have been taken, but weren't taken. You also find out the system knew about the person who did the act. You also find out , like the video of the active shooter walking down the school hallway, before the shooting and carrying a F%%%% rifle and nobody did anything about it.

This sheriff was total incompetent, created a culture of cowardice, incompetence and ass covering. He should have been fired long ago.

The reality of whistle blowers, or anybody who tries to warn of a potential disaster, that later takes place, and is proven right, is they get the whistle shoved down their throat. I don't know how many times people have died, warning signs were ignored, and later it is shown, documented that if the whistle blower had been believed, or the threat taken seriously people would not have died.
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" is available for sale at the following url
    http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007BRLFYU

"Sheriff" Israel was like way too many others - not a "real" sheriff, just a political hack who should have never been in that position in the first place!
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." (Will Rogers)

It was hard to argue .guv needed more money. (The usual government response to any screw-up) He was a political "dead-man walking" from day one.

The bigger tragedy is that it took this long for him to get the ax. I wouldn't blame one of the parents if they ran an ice-pick in both his and Peterson's spine some night in parking lot. Peterson for his inaction and cowardice, Israel for his attitude after the fact. jmo
    "You are allowed to be disappointed but not surprised"

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    It was hard to argue .guv needed more money. (The usual government response to any screw-up) He was a political "dead-man walking" from day one.

The bigger tragedy is that it took this long for him to get the ax. I wouldn't blame one of the parents if they ran an ice-pick in both his and Peterson's spine some night in parking lot. Peterson for his inaction and cowardice, Israel for his attitude after the fact. jmo
    Yep. If this was actually because of failures in the Parkland shooting, he would have been gone within a week. This is CYA political fallout.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    ó Robert Heinlein

Needed more money? BCSO had an almost 3/4 BILLION dollar budget last year.

Israel set the stage for this tragedy multiple ways. He helped concoct the "no more school to prison pipeline" nonsense during the Obama administration, which kept minority students who committed crimes out of jail (AND free from criminal records) in Broward County. He personally changed active shooter response policy in Broward from SHALL respond to MAY respond. The reason Peterson was still in the BCSO and got his pension? Peterson helped cover for Israel's son when he sexually assaulted another kid in school.

Israel should not just be fired, he should be arrested as accessory to murder.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    I posted it on 1/8/2019 - only 3 responses.

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showt...t=Scott+Israel
    It's not a contest you know. I didn't see your post either. I'm just glad this guy is gone and he should of been removed long before now.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html