Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OP-ED Marc Thiessen: This is the stupidest government shutdown in US history. When will Dems get smart about it
+ Reply to Thread

Marc Thiessen: This is the stupidest government shutdown in US history. When will Dems get smart about it

Marc Thiessen: This is the stupidest government shutdown in US history. When will Dems get smart about it?
    Marc Thiessen
    5-6 minutes

Barring some miraculous breakthrough, on Saturday the current government shutdown will become the longest in American history. But it has already hit another historic milestone: It is, by far and away, the stupidest government shutdown in American history.

In 2019, the federal government will spend a whopping $4.407 trillion. Yet Congress and the president are shutting down the government in a dispute between the $1.3 billion the Democrats have approved for border security and the $5.7 billion the president is demanding -- precisely 0.0998 percent of the total federal budget. In Washington, that is considered a rounding error.

Worse, Democrats are doing it over a border wall strikingly similar to one that they almost unanimously supported just five years ago. While House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., now says that "a wall is an immorality," back in 2013, she supported a bill that required the construction of 700 miles of border fencing. (Trump has called for a wall of "anywhere from 700 to 900 miles" long.) The bill negotiated by the Gang of Eight, which included current Democratic leaders Sens. Charles Schumer, N.Y., and Dick Durbin, Ill., declared that "not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary [of Homeland Security] shall establish ... the 'Southern Border Fencing Strategy,' to identify where 700 miles of fencing (including double-layer fencing) ... should be deployed along the Southern border."

That's not all. The bill further said that "the Secretary may not adjust the status of aliens who have been granted registered provisional immigrant status ... until 6 months after ... [the Secretary submits] a written certification that ... there is in place along the Southern Border no fewer than 700 miles of pedestrian fencing." In other words, Democrats agreed that no illegal immigrants could get a path to citizenship until all 700 miles of border fencing had been fully completed.

Every Senate Democrat voted for the Gang of Eight bill -- including 36 Democratic senators still serving today. President Barack Obama agreed to sign it. Indeed, he praised the bill for including what he called "the most aggressive border security plan in our history" and said that "the Senate bill is consistent with the key principles for commonsense reform that I -- and many others -- have repeatedly laid out" (emphasis added). That bears repeating: Obama said building a 700-mile fence on the southern border was consistent with the principles of the Democratic Party.

Pelosi supported the Gang of Eight bill, saying at the time that "every piece of this legislation has had bipartisan support" (emphasis added). But now we are shutting down the government over a wall much like the one that Pelosi and Senate Democrats fully supported just five years ago?

Democrats will object that the Gang of Eight bill did fund a border wall, but it was in exchange for a lot of concessions. Of course it was. As Obama said at the time, "the bipartisan bill that passed today was a compromise." But today, Democrats are refusing to compromise or lay out what concessions they would accept in exchange for wall funding. When Trump rhetorically backed off the wall and talked about "steel slats" -- a fence -- Democrats ignored it. When Vice President Mike Pence reportedly offered a deal for $2.5 billion, Democrats dismissed it. In a White House meeting Wednesday, Trump asked Pelosi whether, if he agreed to end the shutdown and negotiate separately on border security, she would support wall funding. She said no.

That is ridiculous.

In their response to the president's address to the nation, Schumer and Pelosi accused Trump of "manufacturing a crisis." That is simply untrue. As The Post reported this week, the United States now faces "a bona fide emergency on the border" as "record numbers of migrant families are streaming into the United States, overwhelming border agents and leaving holding cells dangerously overcrowded with children, many of whom are falling sick."

Democrats could not possibly be in a better position to demand concessions form Trump if they had manufactured a crisis. So put some demands on the table, for crying out loud. If Democrats think they have Trump cornered, then squeeze him and try get a lot out of him. But don't refuse to negotiate and tell us the wall is an "immorality" -- because their voting history shows they don't believe that.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/marc...smart-about-it

Folks, understand that the Marxists ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BUDGE on this issue. The reason has nothing to do with money. If they give in, Trump gets a huge major victory, virtually guaranteeing him reelection in 2020. They will NEVER allow that. Trump OTOH, ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BUDGE on this issue either, because if he gives in, the base will abandon him and any hope he might have of a win in 2020 is gone. So friends and neighbors, THERE WILL BE NO RESOLUTION AS BOTH SIDES ***MUST*** GO DOWN WITH THE SHIP ON THIS.

The only remedy for Trump would be to put perp-walk Hillary, get a (quick) conviction, and then ship her off to GITMO. He could run on that in 2020, and use the funding fiasco for The Wall as a talking point.

Where are we on that 700 miles of fence?
    Does Trump want to complete it, upgrade it, or build more?
    If itís not complete, there should be no discussion, we have to complete what they signed off on.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Donít use your last bullet on them.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Folks, understand that the Marxists ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BUDGE on this issue. The reason has nothing to do with money. If they give in, Trump gets a huge major victory, virtually guaranteeing him reelection in 2020. They will NEVER allow that. Trump OTOH, ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BUDGE on this issue either, because if he gives in, the base will abandon him and any hope he might have of a win in 2020 is gone. So friends and neighbors, THERE WILL BE NO RESOLUTION AS BOTH SIDES ***MUST*** GO DOWN WITH THE SHIP ON THIS.
    THEN, THEN, THEN throw in facing DJT naming a replacement for RBGinsberg... and it could go to a much higher level of Ďconflictí of Lf vs Rt to levels not seen since the 1860s

Quote Originally Posted by colonel holman View Post
    THEN, THEN, THEN throw in facing DJT naming a replacement for RBGinsberg... and it could go to a much higher level of ‘conflict’ of Lf vs Rt to levels not seen since the 1860s
    If it happens in the near future, they are being heavily funded. Lazy commies don't like to get out and protest when there's a foot of snow on the ground. That's why they do most of their rioting in the summer: they can't deal with harsh weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    If it happens in the near future, they are being heavily funded. Lazy commies don't like to get out and protest when there's a foot of snow on the ground. That's why they do most of their rioting in the summer: they can't deal with harsh weather.
    Food stamps are now set to cut out in March without a deal. That could start some riots; March weather can be good or bad.

'For God's Sake!': Dem Blasts Graham's 'Whining,' Says GOP Can Override Trump Veto to Reopen Gov't

'For God's Sake!': Dem Blasts Graham's 'Whining,' Says GOP Can Override Trump Veto to Reopen Gov't
    by Fox News Insider
    2-3 minutes

Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney (D-N.Y.) called out Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham Friday on "America's Newsroom," challenging House and Senate Republicans to reopen the government and forget about funding the border wall.

Sandra Smith asked Maloney about a statement by Graham in which he said, "I have never been more depressed about moving forward than right now."

Graham told reporters on Capitol Hill that he doesn't see a "pathway" to move forward on ending the partial government shutdown, predicting President Trump will not back down on the issue.

The Five: Acosta's Tex-Mex Border Video Looked 'Paid For By the Trump 2020 Campaign'

Maloney expressed frustration at what he called "whining" from Graham and other Republicans, noting that the votes exist to reopen the government and override a veto by Trump.

"For God's sakes! ... Talk is cheap, just pass the bills," he said, arguing the spending bills already passed in the House could easily pass both chambers, but Republicans will not vote for something Trump opposes.

He said Democrats are in favor of border security, but not Trump's $5 billion "vanity project" that experts say is unnecessary.

"Nobody is talking about open borders, except the president who is demagoguing it," he said, calling it a "stupid idea" and an abuse of presidential authority for Trump to use money from the military construction budget for the wall. [LIAR!!]

Maloney said many Republicans oppose the idea of Trump declaring a national emergency in order to appropriate funds for the border wall.

Watch the full interview above.

https://insider.foxnews.com/2019/01/...trump-veto-end

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Food stamps are now set to cut out in March without a deal. That could start some riots; March weather can be good or bad.
    Good point. However, I can't wrap my mind around getting to March without the gov't being re-opened. If it's still shut down in Mid-February, I'll work on reversing my state of denial.

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    Good point. However, I can't wrap my mind around getting to March without the gov't being re-opened. If it's still shut down in Mid-February, I'll work on reversing my state of denial.
    This year has already been weird. We've got what looks like an El Nino winter in progress as made clear by the green Christmas in SW lower Michigan. Any time you see 50s in January you know things have gone hinky. So March? Who knows? But March in Michigan is hardly March everywhere; average high in Atlanta in March, for example, is 66. That's fine weather for riots. In Michigan we stop wearing jackets at 66. Most of us have our furnaces set somewhere between 66-70 all winter.

This is what "at loggerheads" actually looks like.

It is LONG overdue, God bless President Trump for bringing it about.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

In Michigan we stop wearing jackets at 66.

Pussy. In Minnesota and Wisconsin, they're out grilling in shorts and t-shirts at 32°

And no, I'm not kidding.

Pussy. In Minnesota and Wisconsin, they're out grilling in shorts and t-shirts at 32°

And no, I'm not kidding.

I meant JACKETS. Besides, until you get to about 66, you can still get rain any time. Need to be ready for the surprise rain.

In NEOhio, we grill as long as there is no snow on the grill top. We MIGHT have jeans and a long sleeve shirt on, just to protect from grill flare....
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my brothers' children (and their parents) may have peace, and have NO KNOWLEDGE of what I have done."

TACAMO!! NOW!!

Yeah, and we haven't stopped grilling out for the year out here on the prairie. But that's going to change for some after this weekend's snow storm.

Pussy. In Minnesota and Wisconsin, they're out grilling in shorts and t-shirts at 32į

And no, I'm not kidding.

Heck, in northern Colorado we are wearing flip flops and shorts to work in January. Not kidding! Once one gets use to the cold, above zero is a heat wave.
    "Apres la Guerre."

I went to college in middle Michigan. Once it hit 50 the girls were out sun tanning. Not just one or two, enough for the area to be called Wheeler Beach.

A

Quote Originally Posted by amarilla View Post
    I went to college in middle Michigan. Once it hit 50 the girls were out sun tanning. Not just one or two, enough for the area to be called Wheeler Beach.

A
    Well, it's different when you're younger, I admit. I just saw some guy in shorts in the grocery store the other night.

Wow, this thread went South in a hurry....
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

I think this stand-off is a misdirection of attention by Trump, and a whole other bunch of things are happening which the news, and the Democrats, are not seeing. For one, that land is being bought up by the feds to extend the wall, with other funds and on the quiet. The Dems are playing right into Trump's hands because of their intransigence. Hey, how many ordinary people think so-called congresspeople who refuse to do their jobs are righteous? Nope, the Dems are showing themselves as 'not unless I/we get it our way or else we pick up our marbles and go home' and this is getting old really fast.
    Jim Acosta has already made a bigger ass of himself than usual with his border fence piece, and Americans are not so dumb they won't catch that.
    This all makes me wonder what else is on Trump's agenda that we can't see. He just loves to bait the D's and push them and the fake media into tantrums, meanwhile appointing numerous good judges, talking strongly with foreign leaders, etc. while the Left foams at the mouth.
    Trump loves to get his opponents screaming, and meanwhile gets a lot done elsewhere.
    It's later than you think!
    (Fr. Seraphim Rose)