Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

LEGAL Canadian police can demand breath samples ANYWHERE under absurd new drunk ‘driving’ law
+ Reply to Thread

Canadian police can demand breath samples ANYWHERE under absurd new drunk ‘driving’ law

Canadian police can now demand breath samples from people in bars, at home, or anywhere they please, under a Kafkaesque new law aimed at curbing drunk driving that upends the idea of “innocent until proven guilty.”

The draconian new law forces Canadians to prove they weren’t drunk when they were driving – even if they were driving two hours ago, or have been falsely accused of driving, had only started drinking when they arrived at their destination, or any of an infinity of other scenarios.

“Failure to provide a sample” – refusing the test – is a crime that comes with a one-year license suspension and a large fine, plus a criminal record.

The changes to Section 253 of the Criminal Code were applied in December but went almost completely unnoticed in the shadow of another measure that allows police to demand a breath sample without even a “reasonable suspicion” that a driver is impaired. The Canadian Civil Liberties Association protested that the law would unfairly affect minorities, who already comprise a disproportionate number of traffic stops.

While Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould admits she has “every expectation” the law will be challenged in court, she claims its intent – to save lives – is an “incredibly justifiable purpose.” But challenging a law takes years, and meanwhile the law has the potential to victimize drivers who have committed no crime.

“It’s basically criminalizing you having a drink at your kitchen table,” criminal defense lawyer Paul Doroshenko told Global News, adding that it would be nearly impossible for someone drinking in a public place to prove they were sober when they had driven there, and under the new law they would most certainly be arrested. “It is profoundly stupid, so most people assume it can’t be. But that’s what the law is now, you will see it happen – I guarantee it.”

As if the situation weren’t appalling enough, research has shown that many drivers legally classifiable as “drunk” are not detected using the breath-test technology, which frequently gives false readings.

https://www.rt.com/news/448534-canad...drunk-driving/
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Presume this is a product of Justin Trudeau's ""Liberal" Government.

Considering what was going on up there in their most recent election I'm not all that surprised...

I remember word getting out of the insane 'laws' being implemented in Russia when I was a kid, they were incredibly absurd, and now it's happening in Canada (and here). Seems Hitler enacted many draconian laws that were cast aside by the public because they weren't used...until they were. Like WA state's gun laws that law enforcement is saying they wont enforce, they are still on the books and can be rolled out at any time to go after whomever they choose at the designated time.

I hope Canadians find a way to be rid of Turdroll the muzzie puppet soon.

"All right. They're on our left; they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us. . .they can't get away this time."

Only 282 days till Trudeau is voted out on Oct 21/19
    True North Strong and Free

Quote Originally Posted by Laurane View Post
    Only 282 days till Trudeau is voted out on Oct 21/19
    and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Flippper View Post
    I remember word getting out of the insane 'laws' being implemented in Russia when I was a kid, they were incredibly absurd, and now it's happening in Canada (and here). Seems Hitler enacted many draconian laws that were cast aside by the public because they weren't used...until they were. Like WA state's gun laws that law enforcement is saying they wont enforce, they are still on the books and can be rolled out at any time to go after whomever they choose at the designated time.

I hope Canadians find a way to be rid of Turdroll the muzzie puppet soon.
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." Tacitus
    Looking back, the lion was a bad idea. That's why Dr. Shockla is gonna hook us up with a monkey. I'm gonna teach it taekwondo.

Yeah, karate monkey, yeah, that's probably safer.

"What's absurd? I'll tell you what's absurd. We don't have enough beer!"

"Heh. My brother's only joking. We're stocked like Fort Molson. *snort*"

"Sorry, we're out of breath samples. We used those for party balloons."

"And we're not holding our breath. We're too busy holding our beers!"

"Say, did you check the storeroom to see if we need more back bacon?"

"Good idea. Remember, only you can prevent hosers from hosing you!"

Quote Originally Posted by subnet View Post
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." Tacitus
    Did you really think we want those laws observed? said Dr. Ferris. We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.
    Indeed