Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

POL As Trump visits border, Texas landowners prepare wall fight
+ Reply to Thread

As Trump visits border, Texas landowners prepare wall fight

I characterize this as Fake News because they interviewed two people, a priest who is for illegal immigration apparently on religious grounds and a hispanic woman who owns land on the border and the headline makes it look like this is a huge problem for Pres Trump. I posted it though because I wanted to discuss it, which I'll do in the next post, after the article.

https://www.apnews.com/0b3d63c524214bbdbfb58ce8f61589f0
    (fair use applies)

As Trump visits border, Texas landowners prepare wall fight
    By NOMAAN MERCHANT
    today

HIDALGO, Texas (AP) — As President Donald Trump travels to the border in Texas to make the case for his $5.7 billion wall , landowner Eloisa Cavazos says she knows firsthand how the project will play out if the White House gets its way.

The federal government has started surveying land along the border in Texas and announced plans to start construction next month. Rather than surrender their land, some property owners are digging in, vowing to reject buyout offers and preparing to fight the administration in court.

“You could give me a trillion dollars and I wouldn’t take it,” said Cavazos, whose land sits along the Rio Grande, the river separating the U.S. and Mexico in Texas. “It’s not about money.”

Trump is scheduled to visit the border Thursday in McAllen , a city of 143,000 on the river.

Congress in March funded 33 miles (53 kilometers) of walls and fencing in Texas. The government has laid out plans that would cut across private land in the Rio Grande Valley. Those in the way include landowners who have lived in the valley for generations, environmental groups and a 19th century chapel.

Many have hired lawyers who are preparing to fight the government if, as expected, it moves to seize their land through eminent domain.

The opposition will intensify if Democrats accede to the Trump administration’s demand to build more than 215 new miles of wall, including 104 miles in the Rio Grande Valley and 55 miles near Laredo. Even a compromise solution to build “steel slats,” as Trump has suggested, or more fencing of the kind that Democrats have previously supported would likely trigger more court cases and pushback in Texas.

Legal experts say Trump likely cannot waive eminent domain — which requires the government to demonstrate a public use for the land and provide landowners with compensation — by declaring a national emergency.

While this is Trump’s first visit to the border in Texas as president, his administration’s immigration crackdown has been felt here for months.

Hundreds of the more than 2,400 children separated from their parents last summer were detained in cages at a Border Patrol facility in McAllen. Three “tender-age” facilities for the youngest children were opened in this region.

The president also ordered soldiers to the border in response to a wave of migrant caravans before the November election. Those troops had a heavy presence in the Rio Grande Valley, though they have since quietly left. A spokeswoman for the border security mission said they closed their base camp along the border on Dec. 22.

But Trump’s border wall will last beyond his administration. Building in the region is a top priority for the Department of Homeland Security because it’s the busiest area for illegal border crossings. More than 23,000 parents and children were caught illegally crossing the border in the Rio Grande Valley in November — more than triple the number from a year earlier.

Homeland Security officials argue that a wall would stop many crossings and deter Central American families from trying to migrate north. Many of those families are seeking asylum because of violence in their home countries and often turn themselves in to border agents when they arrive here.

The number of families has surged. DHS said Wednesday that it detained 27,518 adults and children traveling together on the southern border in December, a new monthly high.

With part of the $1.6 billion Congress approved in March, U.S. Customs and Border Protection announced it would build 25 miles (40 kilometers) of wall along the flood-control levee in Hidalgo County, which runs well north of the Rio Grande.

Congress did not allow construction of any of Trump’s wall prototypes. But the administration’s plans call for a concrete wall to the height of the existing levee, with 18-foot (5.5 meters) steel posts on top. CBP wants to clear 150 feet (45 meters) in front of any new construction for an “enforcement zone” of access roads, cameras, and lighting.

The government sued the local Roman Catholic diocese late last year to gain access for its surveyors at the site of La Lomita chapel, which opened in 1865 and was an important site for missionaries who traveled the Rio Grande Valley by horseback.

It remains an epicenter of the Rio Grande Valley’s Catholic community, hosting weddings and funerals, as well as an annual Palm Sunday procession that draws 2,000 people.

The chapel is a short distance from the Rio Grande. It falls directly into the area where CBP wants to build its “enforcement zone.”

The diocese said it opposes a border wall because the barrier violates Catholic teachings and the church’s responsibility to protect migrants, as well as the church’s First Amendment right of religious freedom. A legal group from Georgetown University has joined the diocese in its lawsuit.

Father Roy Snipes leads prayers each Friday for his chapel to be spared. Wearing a cowboy hat with his white robe and metal cross, he’s known locally as the “cowboy priest” and sometimes takes a boat on the Rio Grande to go from his home to the chapel.

“It would poison the water,” Snipes said. “It would still be a sacred place, but it would be a sacred place that was desecrated.”

The Cavazos family’s roughly 64 acres (0.25 square kilometers) were first purchased by their grandmother 60 years ago.

They rent some of the property to tenants who have built small houses or brought in trailers, charging some as little as $1,000 a year. They live off the earnings from the land and worry that a fence would deter renters and turn their property into a “no man’s land.”

On the rest of the property are plywood barns, enclosures for cattle and goats, and a wooden deck that extends into the river, which flows serenely east toward the Gulf of Mexico. Eloisa’s brother, Fred, can sit on the deck in his wheelchair and fish with a rod fashioned from a long carrizo reed plucked from the riverbank.

Surveyors examined their property in December under federal court order. The family hasn’t yet received an offer for their land, but their lawyers at the Texas Civil Rights Project expect a letter with an offer will arrive in the coming weeks.

“Everybody tells us to sell and go to a better place,” Eloisa Cavazos said. “This is heaven to us.”
    The future keeps telling us what the past was about. You make the past mean different things by the way you use the time that come after.- A. Fancy

So, they have two landowners opposed and the headline makes it appear as though there are many lawsuits to come. I think that's par for the course in Fake Stream Media.

But I wanted to talk about the people who oppose the wall and live on the border. I hope that the gov't does not take their land via eminent domain. I hope they leave those leftists their property without border wall or protection. I hope their addresses become well known to the mules and as they watch thousands of people cross across their property and ruin their land, and leave garbage, and needles and all sorts of crap on their property, making it uninhabitable and dangeorous - I hope when they call law enforcement to do something about it - they are told - sorry you are on your own at this point.

That's what I hope for those people who would stand in the way of protecting our border.

*The gov't can and should set up road blocks across the road to their properties to finish apprehending those who cross across through them, but let the property owners feel the pain of their actions, don't protect them from their own stupidity.

HD
    The future keeps telling us what the past was about. You make the past mean different things by the way you use the time that come after.- A. Fancy

Caught part of an interview with someone on talk radio...maybe with Hannity, they were saying that there has been a huge amount of progress on acquiring land and doing all the legal stuff for eminent domain cases, etc.

It was implied that they could do this with different funds that were already available.

Apparently, they have been preparing for funding of the wall itself.

I don't know how much or where, but it did sound somewhat promising.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

The Cavazos family’s roughly 64 acres (0.25 square kilometers) were first purchased by their grandmother 60 years ago.

They rent some of the property to tenants who have built small houses or brought in trailers, charging some as little as $1,000 a year. They live off the earnings from the land and worry that a fence would deter renters and turn their property into a “no man’s land.”
    Any guesses as to the immigration status of their "tenants"? No wonder she doesn't want a wall... she's making good money catering to the illegals. Traitor...

Summerthyme

LIVE: President Trump visits the border and double downs on border wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce-ZVqd_YoY

You could give me a trillion dollars and I wouldn’t take it,” said Cavazos, whose land sits along the Rio Grande, the river separating the U.S. and Mexico in Texas. “It’s not about money.”

Right. It's about letting your illegal brethren into the US.

I am waiting for the environmental impact people to sprout up. I am sure a wall will stop the migration of the Monarch Butterfly, the Houston Toad, the Spotted Owl and maybe even the buffalo, both of them. And possibly change of the direction of surface water flow to the detriment of the Toulouse Cricket. ( I made that up but I am sure there is something out there. )
    "The misfortune of many is the consolation of fools" Ancient proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    Caught part of an interview with someone on talk radio...maybe with Hannity, they were saying that there has been a huge amount of progress on acquiring land and doing all the legal stuff for eminent domain cases, etc.

It was implied that they could do this with different funds that were already available.

Apparently, they have been preparing for funding of the wall itself.

I don't know how much or where, but it did sound somewhat promising.

Prez Trump talked directly about this subject - one of the MUCH more pleasent media women asked about property seizure - current FED ownership - problems associated >>>>>

the President admitted that budgeted $$$$ has been spent in prepping building the entire wall length - said alot of the rightaway property is already said & done - admitted that property seizure and court settlement was sometimes a possibility - he said it WOULD NOT cause any build delays ....

I don't remember what liberal - anti trump - anti Wall group it was - but they purposedly bought controversial property to have a ready made battle possible .....
    Illini Warrior

Texas landowners prepare wall fight

NOT a problem.

Just build the barrier BEHIND THEM. Eminent domain in reverse ...
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post

NOT a problem.

Like I said, set up across the road from where their property ends but leave them their property to be trashed and destroyed and made worthless. Don't go to court to force them to sell. Stupid, traitorous behavior should hurt. Their property will end up like those small houses dwarfed by shopping centers or hotel complexes because they were the one hold out who wouldn't sell when the development went up, making their property worthless after it was all said and done when they were offered more than it was worth when the development started. Except unlike those houses, the border properties will be trashed and destroyed as they become thruways for illegal border crossing and their lives will be at risk every second that they continue to live there.

HD

ETA: I think some of those property owners are selling to groups that are opposing Trump and the wall. Those groups don't care what happens to the property, they don't live anywhere near the border - they are just being obstructionists. The gov't SHOULD use eminent domain against them as they won't suffer personal consequences if the land goes to hell. But for those who live there and won't allow the wall - leave them alone and let them reap the rewards of their obstinacy.

The cartels have run people off and bought their border land also.

Who knows how much dirt is directly controlled by them.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Well if they think a wall is bad, wait till they see the response teams under a national security declaration....

Quote Originally Posted by Heliobas Disciple View Post
    So, they have two landowners opposed and the headline makes it appear as though there are many lawsuits to come. I think that's par for the course in Fake Stream Media.

But I wanted to talk about the people who oppose the wall and live on the border. I hope that the gov't does not take their land via eminent domain. I hope they leave those leftists their property without border wall or protection. I hope their addresses become well known to the mules and as they watch thousands of people cross across their property and ruin their land, and leave garbage, and needles and all sorts of crap on their property, making it uninhabitable and dangeorous - I hope when they call law enforcement to do something about it - they are told - sorry you are on your own at this point.

That's what I hope for those people who would stand in the way of protecting our border.

*The gov't can and should set up road blocks across the road to their properties to finish apprehending those who cross across through them, but let the property owners feel the pain of their actions, don't protect them from their own stupidity.

HD
    I hate to think this,but---

for all we know, the landowners who are against the wall

MAY be against it BECAUSE

they are ALREADY GETTING PAID OFF

to the tune of thousands---or millions?--of dollars---

from smugglers of illegal drugs and illegal immigrants

to let their land be an "underground railroad" for these activities

while pretending ignorance and looking the other way....

something perhaps worth investigating?
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Eminent Domain hinges on "Fair Market Value" calculations. Know a few folks who got more than they expected from this sort of taking. Ya just don't hear about THEM.

And yes, the Wall is a TEXTBOOK EXAMPLE of when TO use Eminent Domain. In a NATIONAL framework.

It'll be a MUCH better settlement than a National Security taking. Which will net not much.

Ref Enviro-Wackos, THAT has been discussed and they have not a lot to say when the National Emergency card is even THREATENED, not even PLAYED,
    Last edited by night driver; 01-10-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my brothers' children (and their parents) may have peace, and have NO KNOWLEDGE of what I have done."

The BEST in Life:
    To CRUSH your enemies.
    To see them driven before you
    To listen to the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    The cartels have run people off and bought their border land also.

Who knows how much dirt is directly controlled by them.
    Agree.

Would muse that the so called owners who fight this wall, are told what to do. And their vary lives could depend on it.

According to an anonymous source, who may be vaguely related to Professor Emeritus, the
    Toulouse cricket is indeed an endangered species, an insect with very specific tastes, odd habits
    and an established migration route. This source revealed that the property by the Rio Grande
    owned by Cavazos is the only route taken by the Toulouse cricket, which selects large leaves to
    use as floating rafts to cross the wide river. Little is known about this unique cricket, and what is
    known has not been verified by the Royal Cricket Society, but, so what? The Toulouse cricket rises
    at dawn, nibbles on some beans, then hops around like other diurnal insects. However, during the
    heat of mid-afternoon, the Toulouse cricket takes a little siesta, usually under a broad frond, or
    sometimes a discarded burrito paper wrapper. After its nap, the Toulouse cricket nibbles some
    more beans, and in the early evening chirps its favorite Mexican melodies. Cavazos truly meant
    that selling the property is "not about money", although the true reason was not revealed to the
    media. The Toulouse cricket must be protected from coyotes, snakes, mules and rogue drones!

Yeah.........

That would make excellent prime time viewing. Like the show "Cops" on mega doses of steroids.
    Hey, put it on pay per view. Homeland security would be self sustaining on the proceeds from that one show!

Quote Originally Posted by Housecarl View Post
    Well if they think a wall is bad, wait till they see the response teams under a national security declaration....

No problem with the Enviro types - all bugs and small animals can squeeze through a steel slat wall. It will be a favour to the ranchers as it will keep the cows out of the river.
    True North Strong and Free

make the offer for imminent domain (fair rate)

give acceptance/rejection date. to include reasonable court times

every day AFTER that date.. reduce price

Build the wall right up to her property line and a border patrol facility across the street from her.

There will be some property owners that won't want it for whatever reason but the majority of them will if they are reasonably compensated and if it keeps their property from being trashed by illegals. I saw an interview with the President a few weeks ago about this very thing. He says that the .gov has already been busy securing land rights along the proposed fencing areas. Most do so willingly and are compensated well for it. Those that don't they go to some sort of an arbitration to see if they can reach a deal and if not then they institute eminent domain. Trump said he doesn't like doing that but without E.D. he said you would never see a pipeline, power transmission lines or highways built.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

I don't see why eminent domain is even being discussed because the border itself is (or if is isn't--it should be) U.S. property--or at least they have the right of way and have the right to build/patrol/ etc without having to resort to eminent domain. The border has been there longer than any current land owner so if they bought or inherited the land, the right of way/border line is a given. Of course, this is my opinion.
    Last edited by Weft and Warp; 01-11-2019 at 08:45 AM.

What about the Roosevelt Reservation - a 60-foot (18 m) strip of land on the United States side of the United States-Mexico Border under the jurisdiction of the United States Federal Government. It was established in a 1907 Presidential Proclamation (35 Stat. 2136) by Theodore Roosevelt in order to keep the land "free from obstruction as a protection against the smuggling of goods between the United States and Mexico".[1][2][3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Reservation

Quote Originally Posted by Weft and Warp View Post
    I don't see why eminent domain is even being discussed because the border itself is (or if is isn't--it should be) U.S. property--or at least they have the right of way and have the right to build/patrol/ etc without having to resort to eminent domain. The border has been there longer than any current land owner so if they bought or inherited the land, the right of way/border line is a given. Of course, this is my opinion.
    My only guess is that it is the two sets of rules law. You know like I can own both sides of the creek and gov claims all authority over the waterway. Yet a Federal Border on a waterway and they have no say.

NOT a problem.

There you go fence them in as part of Mexico and cut off from the United States

But seriously the wall is not going to take up much of their land on the boundary line.

I believe they will be forced to go the national emergency avenue to get around the endangered species and clean water act. (The fence will reflect heat and change the ambient temp of the water or some other reason.)
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

So a Mexican and a priest walk into a boarder..........

So many good jokes starting right there.

I don't see why eminent domain is even being discussed

Do you own any property?

Part of one of our property lines is between the yellow lines in the middle of the highway
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

I don't see why eminent domain is even being discussed

Do you own any property?

Part of one of our property lines is between the yellow lines in the middle of the highway
    That's technically an easement.