Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC Earth's magnetic North Pole is shifting rapidly
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    define mentally challenged oh master

1/7th brain had a few good ones, nuclear fusion needing oxygen for one.
    “Both earth and magnetism have poles. In the middle of each the plane of inertia exists because the compass needle at exact center will not point to north nor will it point to south.”
    This is another great one. At the point where fractional neuron assumes the compass needle cannot make up its mind, the north end will still point north, while the south end will point south. IOW, the north end is not the only end that is attracted to a magnetic pole. The needle will point to the appropriate pole(s) anywhere in the world. That discussion would have been a hairy one, I’m sure. Yes, I know as well as you should it’s actually the South Pole of the compass being attracted to earth’s North Pole, but let’s not get into that with .1428.

You? You’ve been doing great
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Eddie View Post
    The runway numbers would not change, as they are True headings, like all ATONS. The number on the chart would be the Only thing that would change.
    Since no one else has stepped up with the correct information, I will.

This is not true. All marked airport runways are numbered with the magnetic direction to the nearest 10 degrees. The shifting magnetic north is why they have to occasionally renumber runways. For more information you may want to peruse the ICAO Airport Marking Handbook.
    Methodist CH, 1969

The Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake is several decades past due.
    It had an estimated 9.0 magnitude in January of 1700.

ok..will look!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Chips View Post
    Since no one else has stepped up with the correct information, I will.

This is not true. All marked airport runways are numbered with the magnetic direction to the nearest 10 degrees. The shifting magnetic north is why they have to occasionally renumber runways. For more information you may want to peruse the ICAO Airport Marking Handbook.
    This is true...and as mag pole shifts, runways will need to change

We have been bouncing around a tad, haven’t we?

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    We have been bouncing around a tad, haven’t we?
    True or magnetic....hehe

I thought we were a long way from losing Polaris as our North Star, but in fact it's not all that relatively far into the future when it won't be. If you take it as a given that a magnetic pole shift is taking place now and that it will take a thousand years or more to go to completion, then ironically (and misleadingly, since the two processes are entirely different) the North Star won't be Polaris but Gamma Cephei. So while the Earth's axis won't change during a magnetic pole shift and result in some wildly different new North Star based on where the new magnetic North Pole is, in a couple of thousand years we will have a new North Star anyway. Then about 24,000 years later Polaris will again be our North Star. Assuming, of course, that future humans will still think of it as the "North Star" even if the magnetic North Pole is located over Botswana.

By the way, I found this site that lets you figure out magnetic declinations through the use of an interactive map (and, incidentally, also gives a number for magnetic field strength at that location): http://www.magnetic-declination.com/

-----

Gamma Cephei as a future North Star. Our present North Star, which we know as Polaris, will continue to reign as the northern pole star for centuries to come.

But our present-day Polaris won’t remain the North Star forever, due to a motion of Earth known as the precession of the equinoxes. Gamma Cephei stands next in line to inherit the North Star title. This star will be closer to the north celestial pole than Polaris around 3000 CE. It will most closely mark the north celestial pole around 4000 CE.

But – due to precession – Earth’s northern axis will continue to trace its great circle among the northern stars. Around 7500 CD, Alderamin – Cepheus’ brightest star – will become the North Star. And ultimately, of course, our present-day Polaris will be the North Star once more.

https://earthsky.org/brightest-stars...ure-north-star

4 Oh-oh ... What will happen when Earth's north and south poles flip

Watch the 5m video at the linked page--this should be on your radar screen.

https://www.businessinsider.com/eart...c-field-2018-4

What will happen when Earth's north and south poles flip

Gene Kim and Jessica Orwig
    • Earth's magnetic field is what protects our planet from harmful space radiation.
    • But our protective shield might soon go into a transformation that could threaten the lives on Earth.
    • This video shows what will happen when Earth's magnetic poles flip.

Did you know that Earth has two North Poles? There's the geographic North Pole, which never changes. And there's the magnetic North Pole, which is always on the move. And right now it's moving faster than usual.

Over the past 150 years, the magnetic North Pole has casually wandered 685 miles across northern Canada. But right now it's racing 25 miles a year to the northwest.

This could be a sign that we're about to experience something humans have never seen before: a magnetic polar flip. And when this happens, it could affect much more than just your compass.

Alanna Mitchell: Right now on the surface of the planet, it looks like it's just a bar magnet. Our compasses are just pointing to one pole at a time because there's a dominant two-pole system.

But sometimes, Earth doesn't always just have a single magnetic North and South Pole. Evidence suggests that, for hundreds to thousands of years at a time, our planet has had four, six, and even eight poles at a time. This is what has happened when the magnetic poles flipped in the past. And when it happens again, it won't be good news for humans.

Now you might think, eight poles must be better than two. But the reality is that: Multiple magnetic fields would fight each other. This could weaken Earth's protective magnetic field by up to 90% during a polar flip.

Earth's magnetic field is what shields us from harmful space radiation which can damage cells, cause cancer, and fry electronic circuits and electrical grids. With a weaker field in place, some scientists think this could expose planes to higher levels of radiation, making flights less safe.

This could also disrupt the internal compass in many animals who use the magnetic field for navigation. Even more extreme, it could make certain places on the planet too dangerous to live. But what exactly will take place on the surface is less clear than what will undoubtedly happen in space.

Satellites and crewed space missions will need extra shielding that we'll have to provide ourselves. Without it, intense cosmic and solar radiation will fry circuit boards and increase the risk of cancer in astronauts.

Our modern way of life could cease to exist. We know this because we're already seeing a glimpse of this in an area called the South Atlantic Anomaly. Turns out, the direction of a portion of the magnetic field deep beneath this area has already flipped! And scientists say that's one reason why the field has been steadily weakening since 1840.

As a result, the Hubble Space Telescope and other satellites often shut down their sensitive electronics as they pass over the area. And astronauts on the International Space Station reported seeing a higher number of bright flashes of light in their vision, thought to be caused by high-energy cosmic rays that the weaker field can't hold back.

Since experts started measuring the Anomaly a few decades ago, it has grown in size and now covers a fifth (20.3%) of Earth's surface, with no signs of shrinking anytime soon. This is so extreme that it could be a sign we're on the brink of a polar flip, or we may already be in the midst of one!

But scientists remain skeptical, mainly because ...

Mitchell: They don't know. The last time the poles reversed was 780,000 years ago so it's not like we have a record for this.

Turns out 780,000 years is over double the time Earth usually takes between flips.

Mitchell: In the past 65 million years since the last mass extinction there have been reversals roughly every 300,000 years.

So what gives? Well, scientists haven't figured it out yet. It's unnerving to think that our modern way of life — banking, the stock exchange, missile tracking, GPS— relies on the outcome of something we can neither predict, nor control. One study went so far as to estimate that a single, giant solar storm today could cost the US up to $41.5 billion a day in damages.

And that's with Earth's magnetic field at its current strength. It's frightening to imagine the devastation a storm would bring to an Earth with a magnetic field only 10% as strong.

We may not be able to stop a polar flip, but we can at least start to take measures to minimize the damage. The first step? Figure out what's going on with this whacky field.

On the hunt are the European Space Agency's SWARM satellites, which are collecting the most precise data on the strength of Earth's magnetic field. Right now, they could be our greatest hope for solving this riddle.

EDITOR'S NOTE: This video was originally published on April 9, 2018.

Never has happened,will not happen.
    "When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." ~ Frederic Bastiilt

"Duty is ours; results are God's."

Oh, it's happened many times - just not while we have had modern society/technology.

I'm not too worried. Migrations might be screwed up - but wild beasties may have time to adjust their homing devices. Compasses will be screwed up, but WTH - we use satellite GPS now. Protective atmospheric shielding could be an issue I suppose - but I don't think it will cause any mass extinctions or real health/tech problems that can't be solved/tolerated.

Not worth losing sleep at this point, that's for sure.

This could be a sign that we're about to experience something humans have never seen before: a magnetic polar flip.

And when it happens again, it won't be good news for humans.
    A lot of conclusion based upon pure speculation.

Is the sky falling again?
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator

If it happens it is God's Will, so I"m not worried. So long as it's His plan, I am on the right side and He will put me where He needs me to be, doing what He needs me to do.

/shrug
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

I thought that we just had a thread on this one?

Summary:

Yes, sooner or later this WILL happen

It will probably not affect humans directly that much at all

Indirectly it will likely mess up GPS and other Technology, a lot depends on if the "flip" is fast or rather slow; if quick birds, whales and other animals that rely on magnetism to get around may also have issues.

It is also possible that knock-on effects could cause problems for some power grids, airline travel, etc and may cause instruments that now point North to point South.

What it DOES NOT MEAN is that the Earth will somehow shift landmasses around or other "Crustal Shift" 1990's type predictions that get mixed up under the term "pole shift."

This is about magnetism; the sun does this flip every 12 years but the earth every few hundred thousand.

People made it through the last one (recorded in an ancient campfire about 700,000 years ago) the majority will likely make it through the next one, though this is another case where being prepared to be on your own for a few weeks or months is a good idea.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

We did. Evidently that was insufficient.

[THREADS MERGED]

Maybe when it does flip, all human beings will all of a sudden get smarter. And the ability to communicate with just our brains. Etc..

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    Maybe when it does flip, all human beings will all of a sudden get smarter. And the ability to communicate with just our brains. Etc..

Quite the opposite......the incoming radiation will cause people to act strangely, behaviors will become extremely aggressive.
    "Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face."

Ronald Reagan

When it flips, you will all fall off. The earth is flat, remember?
    Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than a pesky raven?
    It is difficult to stand idly by and watch the vacuum of ignorance being filled with lies

Regardless... there is not a damned thing anyone can do about it... kinda like getting old and eventually dying.

Worrying about is is futile.

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    IDK, never been in space to truly say one or the other. But even a flat earth, seems like it would still be a major thing, more so than the time bomb we had in 2000 nutnburger...

Like to thinlk something really positive will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post

THAT'S IT!!!

The Earth turns upside-down and everything falls off!

expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

IDK, never been in space to truly say one or the other. But even a flat earth, seems like it would still be a major thing, more so than the time bomb we had in 2000 nutnburger...

Like to thinlk something really positive will happen.
    It would only be positive . . . you know . . . at the "North Pole"
    At the South Pole it is expected to be negative.
    Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than a pesky raven?
    It is difficult to stand idly by and watch the vacuum of ignorance being filled with lies

as a matter of reassurance . . . we have built space craft (unless you are a flat earther)
    space craft have electronics
    which run on electricity
    built on earth with our north and south magnetic pole.

These electric circuits have departed the planet and the earths magnetic field - and continued to work.
    they have flow through space - and continued to work
    they have gone to the moon and mars and venus - and continued to work.
    And Venus is upside down and rotates backwards - and yet the electricity continued to work.
    We have sent a space craft out of the solar system - and the electricity continued to work.

Now, explain again how flipping the magnetic poles will affect what again?

(and yes, it will affect the shielding from space based radiation.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    THAT'S IT!!!

The Earth turns upside-down and everything falls off!

That's exactly how the earth cleanses itself from time to time - apparently it's time.
    I do wonder what it means regarding climate zones or even if it does.
    The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. Abraham Lincoln, 1859

It's getting bad, folks. I woke up this morning lying on my ceiling with the bed on top of me! Our dogs and cats were going crazy, so, after navigating through all the furniture now fallen on the ceiling, I opened the front door to let them out - which was difficult 'cuz the handle of the now upside-down door was hard to reach - and they flew out the door. The last I saw of them, they were flying up into the sky!!!

I gotta go now 'cuz DW still wants me to mow the back pasture. Figuring out how to do that is gonna take me the better part of the afternoon...

Best regards
    Doc

and they flew out the door. The last I saw of them, they were flying up into the sky!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post
    It's getting bad, folks. I woke up this morning lying on my ceiling with the bed on top of me! Our dogs and cats were going crazy, so, after navigating through all the furniture now fallen on the ceiling, I opened the front door to let them out - which was difficult 'cuz the handle of the now upside-down door was hard to reach - and they flew out the door. The last I saw of them, they were flying up into the sky!!!

I gotta go now 'cuz DW still wants me to mow the back pasture. Figuring out how to do that is gonna take me the better part of the afternoon...

Best regards
    Doc
    Dang. As much as I dislike Facebook, it is times like this that I wish there was a "like" button.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh View Post
    I would guess it has to do with the solar minimum and the change in the electric relationship between the sun's discharge and the earth's magnetic field, which shields our atmosphere. It is the axis of electric polarity that is moving. They are not talking about the rotational polar axis.

Read more about it on this site: https://www.space.com/11187-earth-ma...olar-wind.html
    "The Electric Universe"; someone get Dr. James McKinney here - STAT!!!

HB
    "The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
    Cicero, 55 BC
    Roman author, orator, & politician (106 BC - 43 BC)
    "The more things change, the more they stay the same." -- popular cliché

MMMMMPPPPPFFFFF!!!!!

We did. Evidently that was insufficient.

[THREADS MERGED]
    I was about to say, yes we had one, and this is it.