Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

OT/MISC Earth's magnetic North Pole is shifting rapidly
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Earth's magnetic North Pole is shifting rapidly

Something very strange is happening to Earth's magnetic North Pole and no one knows why
    By Jamie Seidel | news.com.au
    3-4 minutes

Planet Earth is alive. Deep beneath its skin, its life blood ó rivers of molten iron ó pulse around its core. And this mobile iron is what generates the magnetic field that causes auroras ó and keeps us alive.

But, according to the science journal Nature, something strange is going on deep down below.

Itís causing the magnetic North Pole to Ďskitterí away from Canada, towards Siberia.

ďThe magnetic pole is moving so quickly that it has forced the worldís geomagnetism experts into a rare move,Ē Nature reports.

On January 30 (delayed due to the US Government shutdown), the World Magnetic Model ó which governs modern navigation systems ó is due to undergo an urgent update.

This model is a vital component of systems ranging from geopositioning systems used to navigate ships through to smartphone trackers and maps.

The current model was expected to be valid until 2020. But the magnetic pole began to shift so quickly, it was realized in 2018 that the model had to be fixed ó now.

ďThey realized that it was so inaccurate that it was about to exceed the acceptable (safe) limit for navigational errors,Ē Nature reports.

FICKLE TIDES

Every year, geophysicists from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the British Geological Survey do a check on how the Earthís magnetic field is varying.

This is necessary as the liquid iron churning in the Earthís core does not move in a consistent manner.

ďIn 2016, for instance, part of the magnetic field temporarily accelerated deep under northern South America and the eastern Pacific Ocean,Ē Nature reports.

This shift was captured by satellites.

But the movement of the north magnetic pole has been the object of study since 1831. Initially, it was tracked moving into the Arctic Ocean at a rate of about 15km each year. But, since the mid 1990s, it has picked up speed.

Itís now shifting at a rate of about 55km a year.

But another recent study has revealed the Earthís magnetic field has been acting up now for some 1,000 years.

CORE OF THE MATTER

Why the magnetic field is shifting so dramatically is unknown.

ďGeomagnetic pulses, like the one that happened in 2016, might be traced back to Ďhydromagneticí waves arising from deep in the core,Ē Nature reports. ďAnd the fast motion of the north magnetic pole could be linked to a high-speed jet of liquid iron beneath CanadaĒ.

This fast-flowing molten river appears to be weakening the magnetic influence of the iron core beneath North America.

ďThe location of the north magnetic pole appears to be governed by two large-scale patches of magnetic field, one beneath Canada and one beneath Siberia,Ē Phil Livermore of the University of Leeds told an American Geophysical Union meeting. ďThe Siberian patch is winning the competition.Ē

And, as global warming opens up more shipping lanes to the north of Russia and Canada, this presents a potentially deadly problem.

ďThe fact that the pole is going fast makes this region more prone to large errors,Ē says Arnaud Chulliat, a geomagnetist at the University of Colorado Boulder and NOAA.

This story originally appeared in news.com.au.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/some...-one-knows-why

The Pole Shift! Oh WOW! I remember hearing about that years ago; it was supposed to be a cataclysm that killed us all!

What happened?

IIRC the earth is the only planet in our solar system whose magnetic poles haven't flipped in the last 100 years. One of the giant planets flipped sometime in the past ten years, I forget which one it was though.

Something to think about.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    The Pole Shift! Oh WOW! I remember hearing about that years ago; it was supposed to be a cataclysm that killed us all!

What happened?
    That's reversal, not shift. It could getr real interesting for compass users though...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    That's reversal, not shift. It could getr real interesting for compass users though...
    Oh, okay. Is this the kind of thing that turns Michigan into Florida and Texas into a deep freeze, or was that reversal too?

WTF!!! Dennis has dipped his toe in the woo

The equator shifts with the poles so the tropical regions will be mid earth as usual but not true horizontal.
    If they shift to a 45 degree then the tropical region will be moved to say Florida through Illinois to Montana and western Canada
    Theres a whole new ecosystem to develope from that shift.
    Theres a Netflix documentary that explains the air streams on why certain areas are desert and others are tropical around the equator. The air rotates up and then down. As it rotates it deposits humidity and strips it at different locations

Why is this so bloody important for ship navigation? Does not GPS work over the entire globe? Iím sure that to get a heading for your general direction of travel a simple compass is more useful, but you just have to tweak your steering after a while to stay on course, much as you might from the currents or wind not being precisely what you assumed.
    But then, what does a landlubber like me know?
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Donít use your last bullet on them.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Marthanoir View Post
    WTF!!! Dennis has dipped his toe in the woo

Dogs and Cats, LIVING TOGETHER... MASS HYSTERIA!!
    Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death.

The Frigid Times - http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/
    Civil Defense Reborn - http://cdreborn.blogspot.com/
    Believe what you will, but the Russian nuclear threat is far from dead. It ain't even sick. - Brutus

Quote Originally Posted by 7th trump View Post
    The equator shifts with the poles so the tropical regions will be mid earth as usual but not true horizontal.
    If they shift to a 45 degree then the tropical region will be moved to say Florida through Illinois to Montana and western Canada
    Theres a whole new ecosystem to develope from that shift.
    Theres a Netflix documentary that explains the air streams on why certain areas are desert and others are tropical around the equator. The air rotates up and then down. As it rotates it deposits humidity and strips it at different locations
    Wake up everybody!
    The OP is about the magnetic poles, NOT the rotational poles. The equator is related to rotation, as are the weather systems. The rotational poles, and the equator, are not going to shift like the magnetic poles as discussed.
    The Earth being flat, it is not possible for the rotational poles to reverse without the Earth folding up like an origami crane.
    Last edited by Profit of Doom; 01-10-2019 at 02:18 PM.

If you remember a few years ago it had become very alarming for pilots flying into Alaska.
    "Man is not to be blamed for sinning. After all, he faces great temptations and is extremely vulnerable. What he is blamed for is not doing Teshuvah (repenting) because he can do that at any time." Rav Simcha Bunim of P'shischa

Ooh, I like origami!

Does Hairy like it as well?

He’d love to chew up origami critters. But then, he loves to chew up anything. I swear, that dog could chew through steel pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    Wake up everybody!
    The OP is about the magnetic poles, NOT the rotational poles. The equator is related to rotation, as are the weather systems. The rotational poles, and the equator, are not going to shift like the magnetic poles as discussed.
    The Earth being flat, it is not possible for the rotational poles to reverse without the Earth folding up like an origami crane.
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. No one here really believes the earth is flat do they?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post

What happened?

Nature is a fickle mother and has her own timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury3 View Post
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. No one here really believes the earth is flat do they?
    Only his last sentence was sarcasm.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

It does affect navigation and it is already happening. I drove out our lane this morning planning to turn left to town and due to this navigation screw up, I turned right. Drove about a mile before thinking "Where in the hell am I going".

We do have the crown prince of Flat Earth, InebriatedChihuahua. He is absolutely convinced that the Earth is flat, because he absolutely believes that various passages in the Bible are to be taken at face value, even though they were written by men, not God, and were written and repeated in the context of their current understanding of physical laws and astronomy. In other words, utter ignorance. It is impossible to convince him otherwise. He has a few acolytes that join him in his delusional belief system. PM me for his real name and the relevant thread, you’ll find it, entertaining.
    The vast majority of the Board here has their heads screwed on straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeholder View Post
    Only his last sentence was sarcasm.

Kathleen
    Got it - I'm a bit slow in my older age

I will worry when the North Star falls out of the sky. Until then I can generally find my way around.

We do have the crown prince of Flat Earth, InebriatedChihuahua. He is absolutely convinced that the Earth is flat, because he absolutely believes that various passages in the Bible are to be taken at face value, even though they were written by men, not God, and were written and repeated in the context of their current understanding of physical laws and astronomy. In other words, utter ignorance. It is impossible to convince him otherwise. He has a few acolytes that join him in his delusional belief system. PM me for his real name and the relevant thread, you’ll find it, entertaining.
    The vast majority of the Board here has their heads screwed on straight.
    There are also bible passages that indicate the earth being round too. I guess they ignore those.

How will this pole shift affect the next summer olympics?

Will the pole vault go horribly awry?
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

I would guess it has to do with the solar minimum and the change in the electric relationship between the sun's discharge and the earth's magnetic field, which shields our atmosphere. It is the axis of electric polarity that is moving. They are not talking about the rotational polar axis.

Read more about it on this site: https://www.space.com/11187-earth-ma...olar-wind.html
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

This has been an on going problem for the last 20 years or so and then it started speeding up and then stop only to start moving again, this repeated many times.
    Its has made some problems for airports all over the world having to renumber (re-name) runways and even maps need to be updated because of this.
    Whoever wrote the story must have some connections to the global warming faction and it has absolutely nothing to do with global warming or the cause of such ,they must think we are that daft for believe that rubbish as global warming is all based on junk science.

There are also bible passages that indicate the earth being round too. I guess they ignore those.
    Kinda like Dems ignoring the 80 times tear gas used, and the 18+ deaths in ICE custody under Obama. Don’t get me started.

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    This has been an on going problem for the last 20 years or so and then it started speeding up and then stop only to start moving again, this repeated many times.
    Its has made some problems for airports all over the world having to renumber (re-name) runways and even maps need to be updated because of this.
    Whoever wrote the story must have some connections to the global warming faction and it has absolutely nothing to do with global warming or the cause of such ,they must think we are that daft for believe that rubbish as global warming is all based on junk science.
    I would think the maps only need their magnetic deviation indicator (probably not the right term) corrected. The actual latitude and longitude grid lines will not change. I don’t see why airports change their runway numbers unless they are using only a compass to guide them, don’t the actual runways have these huge numbers painted on both ends?

The numbers are the compass headings for the applicable runway.

I understood the relevance of the numbers, just wasn’t sure that it was vitally important that they be totally accurate. I would have thought, not being a pilot, that once I can see the airport and I’m told to land on runway 20, it would not matter if it was actually a heading of 19 or 21, I would be landing visually. A quick wiki shows that I am wrong.
    If the poles are moving that fast, maybe they should put the numbers on with Velcro, like Trump’s staff names on their office doors.

The numbers are the compass headings for the applicable runway.

Correct!

It WOULD matter if you had to be on a heading of 150 or 250. (You need to add a zero to all runway numbers to get the compass heading.)

A thought just occurred to me.

I would assume that if the magnetic North pole is changing then a magnetic South pole must be changing as well ? I mean there is not such thing as magnet with only one pole. Can the south pole stay fixed?
    But not likely to die free

It WOULD matter if you had to be on a heading of 150 or 250. (You need to add a zero to all runway numbers to get the compass heading.)
    Got that already. Was referring to a runway that had been at 200 magnetic, but had drifted to say, 194 or 206, therefore should be a different number. I doubt if they will drift +-50 degrees very soon. Still, Iím not a pilot, and my opinions donít matter to the aviation industry.

How far it drifts would depend on the magnetic zone as well as latitude I would think.

Itís causing the magnetic North Pole to Ďskitterí away from Canada, towards Siberia.

Russian's.........., first they try to steal the 2016 elections and now they are trying to steal the magnetic North Pole.......it's world domination I tell ya.

or

Even the earths magnetic field is repulsed by Trudeau..........
    Mongo only pawn in game of life

Do what's needed to ensure that you're better at something worthwhile come Monday morning than you were on Friday afternoon.

The time to improve your skills and capabilities is not the moment when you wish you'd already done it long ago. And disasters large and small don't make appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by BornFree View Post
    A thought just occurred to me.

I would assume that if the magnetic North pole is changing then a magnetic South pole must be changing as well ? I mean there is not such thing as magnet with only one pole. Can the south pole stay fixed?
    Not over the long term. I don’t think they are exactly opposite each other, and I believe there is a little variance in their relative drift, but in general they are both going to be moving more or less the same fashion.

Even the earths magnetic field is repulsed by Trudeau

GREAT ONE!!!

I use the same wording they do in the aviation business and they call the changing the number as renaming the runway and at each end of the runway it has different numbers that correspond to the compass heading.
    Example if one end of the runway is facing 0 degrees north the opposite end will be named/numbered 180 south and you would heading south 180 degrees to land on the nothern side of the runway.

He’d love to chew up origami critters. But then, he loves to chew up anything. I swear, that dog could chew through steel pipe.
    Do you have the means to fold acute angles in 10 ga. Stainless?

Not over the long term. I donít think they are exactly opposite each other, and I believe there is a little variance in their relative drift, but in general they are both going to be moving more or less the same fashion.
    Thanks
    But not likely to die free