Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GOV/MIL Texas Republicans clash over efforts to oust Muslim county official - UPDATE, post 4
+ Reply to Thread

Texas Republicans clash over efforts to oust Muslim county official - UPDATE, post 4

Texas Republicans clash over efforts to oust Muslim county official
    Kaitlyn Schallhorn
    By Kaitlyn Schallhorn | Fox News

Texas Republicans are battling over a local faction’s efforts to oust a GOP county official over his Muslim religious beliefs.

Republicans in Tarrant County – one of the most populous counties in Texas – are set to vote on whether to remove Dr. Shahid Shafi from his position as the party’s vice chair Thursday.

Shafi, a trauma surgeon and Southlake city councilman born in India and raised in Pakistan, was appointed as the county party’s vice chair in July, according to the Austin American-Statesman. Since Precinct Chairman Dorrie O’Brien has led efforts to reconsider his appointment as she’s contended his religious beliefs are not in line with those he represents in Tarrant County.

“We don’t think he’s suitable as a practicing Muslim to be vice chair because he’d be the representative for ALL Republicans in Tarrant County, and not ALL Republicans in Tarrant County think Islam is safe or acceptable in the U.S., in Tarrant County, and in the TCGOP, and there are big questions surrounding exactly where Dr. Shafi’s loyalties lie, vis a vis Democrat and Republican policies,” O’Brien wrote in a lengthy Facebook post. She has frequently posted on social media about her efforts to remove Shafi and criticizing his religious background.

Shafi, who became a U.S. citizen in 2009, has repudiated allegations that he favors Sharia law over the American court system. He’s denied any connections to terrorist organizations or the Muslim Brotherhood.

Despite the push from some in the Tarrant County GOP, Shafi has gotten support from more prominent Republicans, including Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and Land Commissioner George P. Bush.

“Discrimination against Dr. Shafi [because] he’s Muslim is wrong,” Cruz said in a December tweet. “The Constitution prohibits any religious test for public office [and] the First Amendment protects religious liberty for every faith. The Party of Lincoln should welcome everybody [and] celebrate Liberty.”

Bush said the GOP needs to “move towards a more inclusive Republican Party and stop tearing down our own if we are to keep Texas red” as he called for the county party to stop the efforts to remove Shafi.

Additionally, the Texas GOP executive committee passed a resolution last month affirming its commitment against discrimination. The resolution states the state party “affirms and supports all Americans’ right to practice their religion … and recognizes the contributions of Republicans of every faith who advance conservative policies and ideals.”

Shafi said the resolution “reaffirmed my faith in our party and in our country.”

“Today we removed all doubts as to what we are and what we believe in as conservatives and Republicans and I will take that message back to Tarrant County,” he said, according to the Austin American-Statesman. “This is and remains and should always be the party of Lincoln and Reagan.”

Tarrant County GOP Chairman Darl Easton, who appointed Shafi, chalked up the efforts to oust the doctor to “religious prejudice.”

Shafi is “very active with the party, but most of the people don’t even care about what he’s done. Most of them already have a prejudice against Muslims, and a lot of that comes from the attack on 9/11 and the Sharia law they claim all Muslims must obey,” Easton told The Texas Tribune.

Easton is also the subject of an online petition calling for his removal as the Tarrant County GOP chair.

“Regardless of which side one takes on the appointment of Shahid Shafi … Darl Easton should have foreseen that such a controversial appointment would plunge the Tarrant County GOP into division and created a public relations nightmare for our party. The only press the Tarrant GOP has gotten with Darl at the helm is bad press,” the petition states.

Tarrant County includes the cities of Fort Worth and Arlington in Texas.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tex...ounty-official

I don't blame them as they are nothing but trouble.

From a legal point of view, I don't think they have a leg to stand on. If he advocates Sharia in how the law in Tarrant County is executed, that's something different.
    Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death.

The Frigid Times - http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/
    Civil Defense Reborn - http://cdreborn.blogspot.com/
    Believe what you will, but the Russian nuclear threat is far from dead. It ain't even sick. - Brutus

Texas Republicans overwhelmingly reject removal of Muslim county official

Texas Republicans overwhelmingly reject removal of Muslim county official
    Kaitlyn Schallhorn
    3-4 minutes

Texas Republicans voted to keep a GOP county official in his position after a small group raised a ruckus over his Muslim religious beliefs.

The Tarrant County Republican Party overwhelming voted to keep Dr. Shahid Shafi as the party’s vice chair Thursday. Shafi, a trauma surgeon and Southlake city councilman, was targeted by a small group of Republicans – led by precinct chairman Dorrie O’Brien – who contended his religious beliefs are not in line with those he represents in the county.

But the party rejected calls to oust him from the position Thursday in a 139-49 vote.

“As an immigrant to this great country, I am honored and privileged to receive the support of my fellow Republicans,” Shafi said following the vote, according to The Texas Tribune. “We need to learn to trust each other so we can create a more perfect union every day.”

Tarrant County Republican Party Chair Darl Easton said the vote “demonstrates we are a party that respects the right of those who disagree on an issue to have a seat at the table and their voices heard.”

“Religious liberty won tonight and while that makes a great day for the Republican Party of Tarrant County, that victory also serves notice that we have much work to do unifying our party,” he said in a statement.

Originally from India and Pakistan, Shafi became a U.S. citizen in 2009 and has been in the vice chairmanship position since July. He’s worked for the party, however, for about 10 years.

O’Brien is credited with leading the effort against Shafi — often posting about her opposition to his appointment on social media.

“We don’t think he’s suitable as a practicing Muslim to be vice chair because he’d be the representative for ALL Republicans in Tarrant County, and not ALL Republicans in Tarrant County think Islam is safe or acceptable in the U.S., in Tarrant County, and in the TCGOP,” O’Brien wrote in a lengthy Facebook post.

Although she didn’t vote at the meeting, Tarrant County precinct chair Sara Legvold sat outside wearing a burqa to “represent the Islamization of our county, our state and our country,” The Texas Tribune reported.

“You already see it in the workplace where Muslims demand they’re able to wear their hijab and demand they get a prayer room,” Legvold said. “When was the last time a Christian was allowed to have a separate place to say their prayers?”

Despite the push from some in the county party, Shafi got support from more prominent Republicans, including Gov. Greg Abbott, Sen. Ted Cruz and Land Commissioner George P. Bush.

“Religious freedom is at the core of who we are as a nation and state, and attacks on Dr. Shafi because of his faith are contrary to this guiding principle,” Abbott said in a statement.

“I salute the Tarrant County Republican Party for re-affirming Shahid Shafi,” Bush said in a tweet Thursday night. “He is a good man who is doing a good job. And we should never allow religious bigotry to play any party in our politics.”

Cruz had previously decried the “discrimination” against Shafi.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tex...ounty-official

#4:

“We need to learn to trust each other so we can create a more perfect union every day.”
    bullshit

well now
    panties in a wad somewhere arent they

Islam is incompatible with western civilization and, by extension, American culture. They should have shown him the door.
    Blue 5

Wherever you are, wherever God takes you, fly high.
    -Edward Ormondroyd

So did Kenndy's disastrous 1964 immigration law take down Public Law 414 forbidding islam?

When will americans wake up and fight this cancer?
    "His golden colored hair and beard gave to his appearance a celestial aspect, His eyes grey clear. He came from racial lines which had blue eyes and golden hair. This granted unlimited freedom provoked the Jews, Jesus of Nazareth spoke rather as a friend of the Romans than of the Jews." http://www.thenazareneway.com/likene...ur_saviour.htm

Looks like Texas has a RINO Problem.....there will be consequences.

I dislike RINO's as much as I hate democrats.
    JOHN 3:16 / John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you FREE.

Quote Originally Posted by vestige View Post
    #4:

“We need to learn to trust each other so we can create a more perfect union every day.”
    bullshit
    Trust but verify. That is what builds assent of the governed. Anything less undermines it.

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

Dr. Shafi has BENEFITTED from America's generosity and misguided benevolent embrace of all peoples - yet, he still publicly identifies as a believer in Islam - a political movement shrouded as a "religion," who's stated goal is to undermine our Constitutional Republic, with impunity.

Embracing the "American way," while simultaneously embracing the commandments of Islam, are wholly incompatible.

Which is it going to be, Dr. Shafi?

You cannot publicly, or privately, be BOTH.

intothegoodnight
    "Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

— Dylan Thomas, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"

Look, realistically speaking Christians are exactly the same. Our faith to God and Christ is above our fidelity to our country. Actually, our faith is in this order:

1) God

2) Family

3) Country

Not trying to justify anything, but it is what it is. Pretty much for everyone. The only problem I have with islamics is their wanting to force others into their political/religion at gunpoint, knifepoint or bombpoint, and that they want THEIR LAW above all others.

Now, that being said, I think it fair to say that most here have said (and some many times) that all laws in this country should be based on the Bible. (I strenuously disagree with that, because the US would become a theocracy like Iran, and I don't want to live in one of those.)

Still a pretty even comparison overall, however.

I can't wait till all the Christians run out and start cutting off heads of people they disagree with!
    Oh! That's right. Christians aren't the people who do that kind of thing.
    It's the moslems!
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    — Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by sunny225 View Post
    I can't wait till all the Christians run out and start cutting off heads of people they disagree with!
    It's the moslems!
    Ah, no, we burn them at the stake. (cf: Jacques DeMolay)

================================================== =======

Pesky 1 Am.....and the laws against a Religious Litmus Test/Test question.

There is NO WAY I want to live someplace where, before you can accept a political office or enter into a public contract, that you can be "Put To "The Question"".
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my brothers' children (and their parents) may have peace, and have NO KNOWLEDGE of what I have done."

TACAMO!! NOW!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Look, realistically speaking Christians are exactly the same. Our faith to God and Christ is above our fidelity to our country. Actually, our faith is in this order:

1) God

2) Family

3) Country

Not trying to justify anything, but it is what it is. Pretty much for everyone. The only problem I have with islamics is their wanting to force others into their political/religion at gunpoint, knifepoint or bombpoint, and that they want THEIR LAW above all others.

Now, that being said, I think it fair to say that most here have said (and some many times) that all laws in this country should be based on the Bible. (I strenuously disagree with that, because the US would become a theocracy like Iran, and I don't want to live in one of those.)

Still a pretty even comparison overall, however.
    Respectfully, all the founding documents that made us the first truly free country came from the christian Bible, every last one. When that is monkeyed with, we will reap the whirlwind. The founders knew that enemies or those ignorant would try their best to persuade the others to go along with the destruction of our republic by public opinion, or a poll and a vote, otherwise known as "democracy"
    "His golden colored hair and beard gave to his appearance a celestial aspect, His eyes grey clear. He came from racial lines which had blue eyes and golden hair. This granted unlimited freedom provoked the Jews, Jesus of Nazareth spoke rather as a friend of the Romans than of the Jews." http://www.thenazareneway.com/likene...ur_saviour.htm

It's the moslems!
    Yet. But the day is young......
    From a fireball we came, crossed sea and mountain
    We were drinking beauty with our eyes
    We were given all to make our own, let us be left alone

III

the difference is, muslims who attack, invade and kill non muslims are doing exactly what their leader mohammed tells them to do. they are practicing exactly what mohammed said and did.

christians who attack, invade and kill non believers are doing the OPPOSITE of what their leader Jesus the Christ, taught, said and did proving they are liars and not followers of Christ but His enemies..
    ++++++++++++++++++++
    There is Only Jesus--no other worthy of honors or prayers or devotion. There is No Other.

Cannabis Medicine Recipes For Cancer And More http://cannacancerblog.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by pinkelsteinsmom View Post
    Respectfully, all the founding documents that made us the first truly free country came from the christian Bible, every last one. When that is monkeyed with, we will reap the whirlwind. The founders knew that enemies or those ignorant would try their best to persuade the others to go along with the destruction of our republic by public opinion, or a poll and a vote, otherwise known as "democracy"
    I don't care what the founding documents were based on. The black-letter laws in this country, starting with the constitution, MAKE NO MENTION of religion except in the First Amendment.

If you really must live in a theocracy, Iran is the place for you...

mutter mutter mutter....Masonic Writings...mutter mutter mutter.....

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    the difference is, muslims who attack, invade and kill non muslims are doing exactly what their leader mohammed tells them to do. they are practicing exactly what mohammed said and did.

christians who attack, invade and kill non believers are doing the OPPOSITE of what their leader Jesus the Christ, taught, said and did proving they are liars and not followers of Christ but His enemies..
    This is true!
    And as far as what they used to do, that is NOT today.
    Today it is moslems cutting people's heads off and raping children. That is what they are doing TODAY, not a few hundred years ago.

Moslems shouldn't even be allowed into our country, much less be elected to a political office. How stupid are we??
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    — Robert Heinlein

Just why was this individual allowed to take a position of influence and power in the Republican Party????

Stupidity knows no bounds....

Texican....

And as far as what they used to do, that is NOT today

Well, out of a sense of intellectual honesty, I must point out that there were abortion clinic bombings and abortion doctor killings up through the 80’s.

Quote Originally Posted by JF&P View Post
    Looks like Texas has a RINO Problem.....there will be consequences.

I dislike RINO's as much as I hate democrats.
    Yep, enemies from within, Trojan Horse !!!!!

If they do not rid themselves of the
    RINO's, they will have many more problems down the road !!! They will regret it !!!
    "No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson "

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Which is it going to be, Dr. Shafi?

You cannot publicly, or privately, be BOTH.

intothegoodnight
    Yes, he can. Look up several sources for the definition of Taqiyya and how it is used by Muslims today.

So many Muslims ignore the parts of the Koran they don't agree with.

Like so many Christians who don't keep the Laws in the Bible.

They aren't going to be cutting off heads any time soon, they just want to make money and raise their family.....like Christians/anyone else does.
    True North Strong and Free

Well, out of a sense of intellectual honesty, I must point out that there were abortion clinic bombings and abortion doctor killings up through the 80’s.
    "killings" is the operative word here.
    I don't condone murdering innocents in any way, shape or form.
    Abortion is murder. So, what would those who do the abortions/murders be described as?
    Besides, who ever said those who were doing these 'killings' were Christians?
    — Robert Heinlein

Well, they said they were. I can’t vouch for their veracity.

"killings" is the operative word here.
    I don't condone murdering innocents in any way, shape or form.
    Abortion is murder. So, what would those who do the abortions/murders be described as?
    Besides, who ever said those who were doing these 'killings' were Christians?
    Several of then in their writings. Rudolph specifically.

Other anti-abortion groups who supported him as well.
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my brothers' children (and their parents) may have peace, and have NO KNOWLEDGE of what I have done."

TACAMO!! NOW!!