Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

INTL Saudi woman, 18, detained at Thai airport, fears she will be killed if deported - CANADA GRANTS ASYLUM
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Jade Chinese
    ‏ @FamilyMassageWA
    14m14 minutes ago

Jade Chinese Retweeted #SaveRahaf

#BREAKING NEWS @PeterDutton_MP HAS CANCELLED #SAVERAHAF'S AUSTRALIAN VISA.

cc @Sophiemcneill
    #auspol
    you really are the lowest of the low @PeterDutton_MP 🤮😡
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

I don't think it would be good for Trump to get involved. He's got muzzies locked out of the US with his EOs. I can hear it now from the liberals, YOU LET HER IN BUT NOT OTHERS SEEKING ASYLUM? Trump is wise not to get involved. Let some other countries get involved with her. For once, we can stay out of other people's business. Let her fight her own battles. Others are willing to step up to the plate like the UN.
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    I don't think it would be good for Trump to get involved. He's got muzzies locked out of the US with his EOs. I can hear it now from the liberals, YOU LET HER IN BUT NOT OTHERS SEEKING ASYLUM? Trump is wise not to get involved. Let some other countries get involved with her. For once, we can stay out of other people's business. Let her fight her own battles. Others are willing to step up to the plate like the UN.
    I tend to agree with you, but others feel differently. I wonder who will take her in?

---------------

#SaveRahaf
    ‏ @OK_Dumbass
    5m5 minutes ago

#SaveRahaf Retweeted NBC News

#SaveRahaf

The Saudis are at it again. Don't let them grab her & make her into another Khashoggi. Demand U.S. protection for Rahaf.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    I tend to agree with you, but others feel differently. I wonder who will take her in?

---------------

#SaveRahaf
    ‏ @OK_Dumbass
    5m5 minutes ago

#SaveRahaf Retweeted NBC News

#SaveRahaf

The Saudis are at it again. Don't let them grab her & make her into another Khashoggi. Demand U.S. protection for Rahaf.
    Deleted, I didn't see the other post. HC

Some country will step up to the plate. The US should bow out, do nothing, others are willing to step up to the plate, let them be heroes for a change. We as a country have done enough, time for us to step back for a change now. Let Thailand keep her, it's about time they do something for causes like this. Why always us? I've worked with Muslim men from Saudi Arabia in my younger years, they will never see women as anything but sex toys. I didn't like them then and I don't like them now. Let her fight and show the world just who these people are who want to kill her. Trust me on this, she isn't going back to Saudi Arabia.
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

Agree.
    As far as Third World refugees go, this country has done ENOUGH! ...and the Libs. WILL turn this one against Trump.
    Not our problem. Let's keep it that way.

Taleb Al Abdulmohsen
    ‏ @DrTalebJawad

Life Fire
    ‏ @1lifefire
    6m6 minutes ago

#SaveRahaf: Activists' lightning campaign made Saudi teen's flight a global cause

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKCN1P21CU

Freak:

SA charge d'affaires in Bangkok Mr. Al-Shuaibi in a meeting with Thai officials:

"She opened a Twitter account and her followers grew to 45000 within one day. It would have been better if they confiscated her cell phone instead of her passport because Twitter changed everything"

Read the comments:

https://twitter.com/DrTalebJawad/sta...00848256049152

Actually he doesn't have muzzies locked out.
    Countries are only locked out if the people coming in can't be vetted because deteriorating conditions in the country. This includes countries like Syria and Libya etc. Not SA
    Saudis are allowed in, and are being issued regular visas. Don't think there are many refugees from Saudi

This case has garnered international attention and Trump could use it to pull the rug out from under the liberal assholes and hypocrite countries who accuse him of being islamaphobic and racist, just by allowing this one girl in. No family, and not change is the current directives limiting moslem refugees from countries where they cannot be vetted.

Finally the girl did renounce islam. Wherever she goes she will have to assume a new identity and remain in hiding for life. So where are all the hypocritical churches that feel they are mandated to evangelize and convert everyone?
    “I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.”
    D. H. Lawrence

𝓒𝓪𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓮 𝓟𝓮𝓻𝓻𝔂
    ‏ @CatPurry9
    3m3 minutes ago

Australia will "consider" #Rahaf's application for asylum if she is declared a genuine refugee by the UNHRC. #auspol

Canberra says Alqunun's humanitarian visa application will be 'carefully considered' as UNHCR looks into her case.

08 Jan 2019 15:55 GMT

The Australian government said on Tuesday that it will "carefully consider" the asylum claim by Saudi teenager Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun, who fled alleged abuse from her family and is now in the care of the UN humanitarian agency in Bangkok after she fended off deportation in a gripping, live-tweeted ordeal.

Australia's Department of Home Affairs hinted at the possibility of granting Alqunun refugee status, saying it was "pleased" the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was assessing her claim.

"Any application by Ms Alqunun for a humanitarian visa will be carefully considered once the UNHCR process has concluded," a Home Affairs official told AFP news agency.

In a separate statement to Australia's The New Daily, the government said it is making a representation to the Thai government and UNHCR's office in Bangkok to assess Alqunun's claim "expeditiously".

In Geneva, UNHCR spokesman Babar Baloch told reporters the process looking into Alqunun's "asylum claim has started" and could take several days.

Thailand is not a signatory to a UN convention on refugees, and asylum seekers are typically deported or wait years to be resettled in third countries.

The UNHCR insists anyone with an asylum claim should not be sent back to the country they fled under the principle of non-refoulement.

In a short press release distributed to media outside its embassy in Bangkok on Tuesday, the Saudi government said it had not demanded her deportation, adding the case is a "family affair", but under the "care and attention" of the embassy.

Alqunun is reportedly the daughter of a high-ranking Saudi official. Bangkok Post reported that her father and an elder brother are due to arrive in Bangkok.

Abusive family

Sophie McNeil, a reporter for ABC Australia in Thailand, told Al Jazeera that the teenager said that she lived "in an abusive environment at home" and that "she was punished for saying things".

Father & brother of #Rahaf must understand it's her decision on whether she wants to see them or not. #Thailand immigration & police must protect her from intimidation or violence by family. @hrw is monitoring closely! https://t.co/JlbTkTYNkn #SaveRahaf @UNHCRThailand pic.twitter.com/C6J851lYoN
    — Phil Robertson (@Reaproy) January 8, 2019

"It is very incredible that the Australian government have offered her an asylum, given that the Australian government is not well known for its well treatment of refugees," said McNeil, who spent hours with Alqunun in her hotel room at the airport in Bangkok.

"Her dream might come true, we just have to wait and see," she said.

In a statement posted on social media, Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said that the Thai government and UNHCR should deny the request of Alqunun's father and brother to meet her.

"Only she can make that choice, she's an adult woman who can make her own decisions," Robertson wrote.

Is Saudi Arabia torturing women's rights activists? (4:50)

Alqunun arrived at the Thai capital's main airport on a flight from Kuwait over the weekend, after running away from her family, whom she says subjected her to physical and psychological abuse.

Alqunun said she planned to seek asylum in Australia, fearing she would be killed if repatriated by Thai immigration officials who stopped her at the airport.

Her ordeal at the Bangkok airport riveted social media as she posted videos and constantly updated her followers while barricading herself in her hotel room.

Saudi Arabia's human rights record has been under heavy scrutiny since the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi late last year.

The Kingdom has some of the world's toughest restrictions on women, including a guardianship system that allows male family members to make decisions on behalf of female relatives.

Earlier on Tuesday, the UNHCR said it was investigating her case.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...132945775.html

They don't like muzzies in Australia either, and I don't want her here in America. I'm with Australia. Send her to a country that likes muzzies.....if they can find one.

https://www.techly.com.au/2018/08/31...-grave-danger/

They don't like muzzies in Australia either, and I don't want her here in America. I'm with Australia. Send her to a country that likes muzzies.....if they can find one.

https://www.techly.com.au/2018/08/31...-grave-danger/
    She has renounced Islam so she is no longer a muzzie.

She has rejected islam and is now an atheist, she says.

I don't believe or trust what a muzzie says. People of her religion hates the infidel. She can find her peace anywhere, just leave America out of her problems.

We only have her word for that.
    Taquia?

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    We only have her word for that.
    Taquia?

Well, she did run screaming from her family and her country..........

So did the Turpin girl, she's in a better place just like the muzzie girl. She can stay in Australia, there's plenty of her kind there.

Muslims? Thailand? SSDD …
    =====================

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d84aff89aac4

Insurgents suspected in fourth day of south Thailand attacks
    By Associated Press
    December 29, 2018

HAT YAI, Thailand — Violence presumed to have been carried out by Muslim separatists has hit southern Thailand for the fourth day in a row, with three paramilitary soldiers wounded and a female civilian shot dead Saturday.
    The soldiers in Narathiwat province were hurt in an ambush of their pickup truck, while the woman was killed in Pattani province.

On Friday night, four people in Narathiwat were wounded by one of several bombs suspected of being planted by the Muslim insurgents, security officials said, and there was a shootout between security forces and suspected insurgents who attacked a defense outpost at a small rural village.

The bombs mostly targeted utility poles and caused a blackout in one village.
    Nearby Songkhla province on Wednesday and Thursday nights experienced similar small bombing attempts, including two that damaged well-known statues at a popular beach but caused no casualties.

No arrests have been reported for any of the attacks.

Drive-by shootings, roadside ambushes and bombings of utility poles have been common tactics used by Muslim separatists who since 2004 have been engaged in an insurgency that has wracked Thailand’s deep south and left about 7,000 people dead.

The insurgency has mostly affected the three southernmost provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat, which have Muslim majorities in predominantly Buddhist Thailand. Songkhla, with a substantial Muslim population, has generally been spared the violence, though its biggest city, Hat Yai, has suffered several bombings.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Could have been for any reason, maybe she had a boyfriend.
    I've personally known two people raised in Muslim countries who now are US citizens and have renounced Islam. I believe they are sincere because they have sacrificed for making that renunciation, and they LIVE it, not because it was ever convenient to renounce it. As far as I know, this gal does not have a track record, and the US owes her nothing.

The whole world knows it, and her family is humiliated beyond belief. They will stop at nothing to have her dead.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    Could have been for any reason, maybe she had a boyfriend.
    I've personally known two people raised in Muslim countries who now are US citizens and have renounced Islam. I believe they are sincere because they have sacrificed for making that renunciation, and they LIVE it, not because it was ever convenient to renounce it. As far as I know, this gal does not have a track record, and the US owes her nothing.
    She said it. She ran away. They would kill her for that alone as an apostate.

Some country will step up to the plate. The US should bow out, do nothing, others are willing to step up to the plate, let them be heroes for a change. We as a country have done enough, time for us to step back for a change now. Let Thailand keep her, it's about time they do something for causes like this. Why always us? I've worked with Muslim men from Saudi Arabia in my younger years, they will never see women as anything but sex toys. I didn't like them then and I don't like them now. Let her fight and show the world just who these people are who want to kill her.

Trust me on this, she isn't going back to Saudi Arabia.
    she don't hafta be in Saudi for them to 'get her'

my $$ is on her coming here to Canada

rainbow whorier wont pass up this chance to shine like the dim whit he is

For links see article source.....
    Posted for fair use.....
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/saudis-bl...131657389.html

World

Saudis blast 'guardianship' laws after woman's escape

Anuj CHOPRA, AFP 11 hours ago

Riyadh (AFP) - A Saudi teen's live-tweeted asylum plea has cast a renewed spotlight on women's rights just months after women won the right to drive, and sparked rare criticism of restrictive "guardianship" laws -- from men.

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun, 18, arrived in Thailand at the weekend after fleeing what she called an abusive family in the deeply conservative kingdom and staved off deportation after her tweets drew global attention.

Qunun's impassioned cry for help set off a media frenzy, prompting angry denunciations and death threats from many in a kingdom where guardianship laws are still widely supported.

But the incident sparked a rare online debate as several young Saudis -- including men -- implored authorities to dismantle the guardianship system.

Seen as a form of gender apartheid, the system means Saudi women are often only as free as their male "guardians" –- husband, father and other male relatives –- allow them to be. The men in their lives have to give formal permission for the women to study, get married or even renew their passports.

"Guardianship gives men the ultimate authority over women," a young Saudi medical student named Bandar said in a video monologue posted on Twitter.

"He can control her, slap her, beat her, do whatever he wants and no (government) agency can stop him.

"This is causing women to dream about living elsewhere, away from where they were born and raised. Why? Because living here suffocates them."

As tweets by Qunun, now in the care of a UN refugee agency in Thailand, went viral, a new hashtag gained traction in Saudi Arabia: "Drop guardianship or all of us will migrate".

"Saudi society, in general, has utterly failed to come to terms with the reality that women have an equal desire for self actualization," tweeted another Saudi man, Ahmad Nasser al-Shathri.

"The notion that a women's innate desire is to be a homemaker is crippling our societal growth."

- 'Repressive' system -

The backlash follows a wide-ranging liberalisation drive spearheaded by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman that is aimed at transforming the conservative petro-state, long criticised for its treatment of women.

His reforms include the much-celebrated decision overturning the world's only ban on female motorists last June, allowing women to attend soccer games alongside men and take on jobs that once fell outside the narrow confines of traditional gender roles.

Catalysed in large measure by what experts call economic pain owing to a drop in oil prices, the reforms have introduced a series of firsts in the Saudi labour market, where women have a miniscule presence.

In recent months, Saudi media has championed the first woman restaurant chef, first woman news anchor and even the first woman racing driver.

For the first time, women are seen alongside men in music concerts and social gatherings, amid the waning influence of the once-feared religious police, which strictly segregated the genders.

But while transforming the lives of many women, this reform drive will be cosmetic for many others until the kingdom abolishes a system that gives men arbitrary authority over their female relatives, critics say.

"The social reforms in Saudi Arabia are very much real and they will improve the everyday lives of women," Bessma Momani, a professor at Canada's University of Waterloo, told AFP.

"But the guardianship system remains repressive and hinders women's rights and mobility."

- Lightning rod -

Women's empowerment is a potential social lightning rod in the deeply traditional society of Saudi Arabia.

Officials close to the government say they are seeking to dismantle the system piecemeal to prevent any backlash from arch-conservatives.

Meanwhile, horror stories regularly surface.

Women inmates are often reported to be stuck in prisons after completing their terms because they were not claimed by their guardians.

One Saudi woman told AFP how she was stuck in limbo, unable to even renew her passport, when her father, her only male guardian, slipped into a coma after an accident.

Many Saudis condemned Qunun for what they described as dishonouring her family.

But as she galvanised international support in a Twitter-led campaign, many others voiced solidarity -- especially after the Saudi charge d'affaires in Bangkok was caught on tape telling Thai authorities they should have confiscated Qunun's cellphone.

"It is challenging for the crown prince to completely dismantle guardianship laws because of religious conservatives who have a vested political interest to remain relevant in a changing Saudi Arabia," said Momani.

"That said, social pressure from young people like Rahaf, who find the reforms glacially slow ... may prove more of a political challenge than the religious conservatives."

View reactions (505)

The news today is that the UN granted her refugee status, and Australia is once again considering her case.

Saudi Arabia and Iran are the worst players in the ME today.

Quote Originally Posted by zeker View Post
    she don't hafta be in Saudi for them to 'get her'

my $$ is on her coming here to Canada

rainbow whorier wont pass up this chance to shine like the dim whit he is
    Better that she's in Canada than here in the US. We have too many muzzies as it is - regardless if she has disavowed Islam. I don't believe any of them.

We'll see..........

Ashoka News
    ‏ @Ashokanews1
    8m8 minutes ago

Thai Police confirms that Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun has been granted asylum in Australia

https://goo.gl/r5Jwv2

Jan 11, 2019

The 18-year-old Saudi girl Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun who fled to Thailand to escape her allegedly abusive family has been granted asylum in Australia, according to a Thai immigration official.

In a statement with Media Channel CNN , Immigration police chief Surachate Hakparn said , " "Yes, Australia has granted her asylum, but we are waiting to hear where exactly she is going,"

The Department of Home Affairs is yet to confirm the reports.

Immigration police chief Surachate Hakparn said Canada had also offered Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun asylum and they were waiting for her decision.

http://ashokanews.com/2019/01/11/tha...-in-australia/

NEWSTALK1010
    ‏Verified account @NEWSTALK1010
    5m5 minutes ago

#BREAKING: Officials in Thailand say a Saudi teenager who claims she is fleeing abuse from her family will fly to Canada tonight to seek asylum. The UN granted refugee status to Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun earlier this week.

Saudi teen asylum seeker in Thai hotel heading to Canada, report says
    Elizabeth Llorente
    4-5 minutes

The Saudi teen who has been in Thailand for almost a week - after fleeing alleged abuse by her family - is leaving for Canada Friday night, according to a report.

Canada was one of several countries that have been in talks with the U.N. High Commissioner of Refugees about accepting Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun, who was stopped at a Bangkok airport last Saturday by Thai immigration police after being denied her entry, and having her passport seized.

Reuters cited the Thai immigration chief as the source who said Alqunun was going to Canada - which has been in a simmering months-long diplonatic spat with Saudi Arabia. No other details were immediately offered.

After barricading herself in an airport hotel room, the 18-year-old launched a social media campaign via her Twitter account that drew global attention to her case. Her efforts picked up enough public and diplomatic support to convince Thai officials to admit her temporarily under the protection of the U.N.

The U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees granted her refugee status on Wednesday. The Thai immigration chief, Surachate Hakparn, had told reporters the U.N. was accelerating the case, though he gave no indication of when the process would be complete.

Alqunun's case has again highlighted the precarious cause of women's rights in Saudi Arabia. Several Saudis girls and women fleeing abuse by their families have been caught trying to seek asylum abroad in recent years, and returned home. Human rights activists say many such cases have gone unreported.

By Friday, Alqunun had closed down her Twitter account. Sophie McNeill, a reporter with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation who got in contact with Alqunun while she was stuck in the airport hotel room - and has kept in touch with her - said Friday in a Twitter posting that Alqunun "is safe and fine."

"She's just been receiving a lot of death threats," McNeill wrote, adding that Alqunun would be back on Twitter after a "short break."

Alqunun had previously said on Twitter that she wishes to seek refuge in Australia. The foreign minister there, Marise Payne, met with senior Thai officials in Bangkok on Thursday. She later told reporters Australia was assessing Alqunun's request for resettlement, but there was no specific timeframe.

Meanwhile, the way was cleared for the teen to travel to Canada, according to the Reuters report. If she goes there, her case could add another interesting element to what has been an escalating back-and-forth between Canada and the Saudi government, a spat that has severely strained relations between the two countries.

It all began with a simple tweet last summer, after Amnesty International learned the Saudi government had arrested several female human rights activists. Among those arrested was Samar Badawi, whose family members fled to Canada in 2015 and have since become Canadian citizens.

After the arrests, Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland, tweeted “Canada stands together with the Badawi family in this difficult time, and we continue to strongly call for the release of both Raif and Samar Badawi.”

The next day, Canada’s Foreign Ministry issued a tweet calling on Saudi Arabia to “immediately release” Samar Badawi as well as “all other peaceful #humanrights activists.” The sensitive Saudis quickly responded, calling Canada's statement "an overt and blatant interference in the internal affairs" of the kingdom. The Canadian ambassador to Saudi was sent home, and relations have worsened since.

Payne has also worked to raise more attention around another case. She raised Australia's concerns with Thai officials about Hakeem al-Araibi, a 25-year-old former member of Bahrain's national soccer team who was granted refugee status in Australia in 2017 after fleeing his homeland, where he said he was persecuted and tortured.

al-Araibi was arrested while on holiday in Thailand last November due to an Interpol notice in which Bahrain sought his custody, after he was sentenced in absentia in 2014 to 10 years in prison for allegedly vandalizing a police station — a charge he denies. Bahrain is seeking his extradition.

Al-Araibi's case is being considered by Thailand's justice system, said Payne.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/thai-a...ding-to-canada

For realz, it looks like:

Good Day Atlanta
    ‏Verified account @GoodDayAtlanta
    47s48 seconds ago

#BREAKING TORONTO (AP) -- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada to grant asylum to Saudi woman fleeing alleged family abuse.
    #fox5atl

Good Day Atlanta
    47s48 seconds ago

#BREAKING TORONTO (AP) -- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada to grant asylum to Saudi woman fleeing alleged family abuse.
    #fox5atl
    Great News.

In my opinion she needs to hide/change her identity and appearance. I think she needs to be put into something similar to a "witness protection program".

And it looks like she's on a plane headed to Canada.

Good place to go as Canada is already at odds with SA.
    I wish her well.
    Moslems who were born into the faith and leave tend to go 50/50 to either atheist or Christian. Both groups have people in both the US and the UK setup to help people leaving islam. Haven't heard of any in Canada, where speaking ill of islam is a "hate" crime.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/11/68445...led-her-family

World

Canada Grants Asylum To Saudi Woman Who Fled Her Family

January 11, 20195:27 PM ET

Daniella Cheslow

Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun is said to have boarded a plane Friday in Bangkok en route to Canada, where she has been granted asylum.

Sakchai Lalit/AP

Canada has granted asylum to the 18-year-old Saudi woman who barricaded herself in a Bangkok hotel room after escaping what she called abuse and oppression by family members.
    "The UNHCR has made a request of Canada that we accept Ms. Alqunun as a refugee, and we have accepted the U.N.'s request that we grant her asylum," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters Friday, referring to the office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees.
    Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun has boarded a plane in Bangkok and was expected to fly to Canada, Thai immigration police told The Associated Press on Friday. Australia had said it was considering whether to offer her asylum, but a UNHCR spokesman hinted in an email to NPR that Ottawa moved more quickly.
    "When referring cases with specific vulnerabilities who need immediate resettlement, we attach great importance to the speed at which countries consider and process cases," Babar Baloch wrote.
    World

Amid Spat With Saudis, Trudeau Vows That Canada 'Will Always Speak Strongly'

Alqunun had been on vacation with her family in Kuwait earlier this month when she ran away and took a flight to Bangkok, NPR reports. She landed Saturday and planned to fly from there to Australia.
    In Bangkok, Thai agents stopped Alqunun at the airport and seized her passport. Alqunun hid in a transit lounge hotel room and began tweeting in Arabic about her plight.
    "I'm the girl who ran away to Thailand. I'm now in real danger because the Saudi embassy is trying to force me to return," she wrote in her first tweet.
    Egyptian-American activist Mona Eltahawy translated the tweets into English, and within days, Alqunun gathered thousands of followers.
    "I'm not leaving my room until I see UNHCR [the U.N. refugee agency]," she said in a video statement. "I want asylum."
    She said she suffered physical abuse at the hands of family members and alleged they had tried to marry her off against her will. Alqunun's family so far hasn't commented publicly on the accusations.
    Her tweets attracted the attention of the U.N., the Australian government and reporters. The UNHCR granted her refugee status, and Australia's Department of Home Affairs told NPR that Australia would "consider this referral [for refugee resettlement] in the usual way, as it does with all UNHCR referrals."

Alqunun temporarily disabled her Twitter account due to death threats, according to a friend. It was reinstated as of late Friday, and she posted photos of herself holding her green Saudi passport aboard a flight.
    "3rd country," she wrote, apparently referring to Canada. "I did it."

Alqunun's successful gambit comes amid renewed attention on Saudi Arabia's treatment of women.
    Saudi Arabia maintains a male guardianship system. Every Saudi woman is required to have a male relative – such as a father, uncle or even son – who approves major life decisions like marriage, work, study and travel. Last year, Saudi Arabia gave women the right to drive, but then arrested more than a dozen women activists who had pushed for the right, NPR's Deborah Amos reports.

Alqunun's case recalls another woman who tried to escape Saudi Arabia, as NPR's Sasha Ingber has reported. Dina Ali Lasloom fled from Kuwait to the Philippines in 2017. She, too, used social media in a bid to reach Australia. Instead, she was dragged onto a plane from Manila to Riyadh, her mouth taped shut and her arms and legs bound, according to The New York Times.

Canada's granting of asylum to Alqunun may add to tensions with Saudi Arabia. Riyadh expelled Canada's ambassador last year and recalled its own top diplomat in Ottawa after Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland criticized the jailing of two Saudi women activists. Saudi Arabia also banned more than 10,000 of its students from returning to college in Canada and said its national airline would stop flying to Toronto, NPR's Jackie Northam reports. Asked whether accepting Alqunun will further strain that relationship, Trudeau stood firm.
    "Canada has been unequivocal that we will always stand up for human rights, and women's rights around the world," the prime minster said. "This is part of a long tradition of Canada engaging constructively and positively in the world and working with our partners, allies and with the United Nations."
    “I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.”
    D. H. Lawrence

Susan Ormiston
    ‏Verified account @OrmistonOnline
    34m34 minutes ago

Rahaf Mohammed Saudi teenager arrives Toronto as@Canada grants asylum. Minister Freeland accompanies her . Rahaf doesnt comment at this time. ⁦@CBCNews⁩ ⁦@CBCTheNational⁩

50 second clip at link
    https://twitter.com/OrmistonOnline/s...10542485315588
    Nana to two "little bits", one not-so-little "little bit" and one 6' college bound "little bit"

Good Day Atlanta
    47s48 seconds ago

#fox5atl
    Cool, another country stepped up to the plate, better in Canada than in the US!

She better disappear and not tell the U.N. about it.
    vienna 1683.

Turn your swords into plowshares ,and you'll be plowing for those that didn't...

We didn't create GOD out of our imagination ,He created us out of his.

She looks pretty when she smiles.

The Key News
    ‏ @The_KeyNews
    3m3 minutes ago

Rahaf Al-Qunun begins a new life in Canada (AFP)
    Attached Images

Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun in a mini-skirt. Unless she gets 24 hour around the clock protection, she will be dead in six months or less.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by northern watch View Post
    Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun in a mini-skirt. Unless she gets 24 hour around the clock protection, she will be dead in six months or less.
    YEP, I agree. Unless she goes "undercover" and loses her well known profile and her current identity she is dead.

"warmly thanked the Canadian government, not without criticizing the other countries that did not accept her."

Ain't that just like a muzzie? The girl found a home, who cares what other countries chose to do or not to do with her. Ungrateful rag heads is what they are. Mark my words, she'll be in the news again.

You now the ragheads will be coming for her...

"warmly thanked the Canadian government, not without criticizing the other countries that did not accept her."

Ain't that just like a muzzie? The girl found a home, who cares what other countries chose to do or not to do with her. Ungrateful rag heads is what they are. Mark my words, she'll be in the news again.

That’s damn unfair. She was hours from being killed. She had to barricade herself in her hotel room. Australia pulled her visa after granting her asylum. She’s earned a little bitching.