Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

GUNS/RLTD My New Favorite Firearm - CZ Scorpion 9mm (Pic Heavy)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My New Favorite Firearm - CZ Scorpion 9mm (Pic Heavy)

I'm absolutely in love with this thing, easily my favorite firearm.

Tailhook kit and Switchback grip from Yeti Wurks, just a TRS-25 while I decide if I want a red dot that cowitnesses with the stock sights or I want to go another direction. Right now I think that sight height is going to suit me.

Today's rounds downrange....

Magtech 115 FMJ 80 rounds
    Win 124 NATO 80 rounds
    Random 115 FMJ 30 rounds
    Fed 124 HST 64 rounds
    Fed XM9001 115 JHP 50 rounds

Total around 304 rounds (a few mags may have been downloaded 1 or 2, don't think I ever got 20 in a 20 round mag), probably just short of 300. The bottom target is 18 or 19 rounds of 124 NATO, supported at a pretty good clip from 25 yards.

Absolutely perfect function. Folds up about the same as a KelTec Sub2000 (~16"). I've got about 3x as much in it but I think it's easily 3x the firearm. Can't imagine how I could be any happier.

Monty

Looks like a fun gun.

That much better than a sub2K... hmmm
    Nice pistol!

Nice! Thanks for the range report.
    Was known as dairyfarmer but sold the cows.

But still a 9mm Seriously, heard lots of good reports about it.

Take a look at Federal American Eagle 147 gr. truncated cone/flat point ball. Good hard hitting stuff, can be found pretty cheap sometimes, too. The listing at
    https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-147-...le-1000-rounds has pictures...
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

I have one too, but not the pistol version, I have a standard barrel and pinned stock, the NJ Communist legal version.

Definitely a neat pistol caliber carbine. I actually prefer my pistol caliber carbines versus my AR. My ears do too!

Oh, and of course, I can only use 10 round mags with it... isn't that great!
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

NO MORE INFRINGEMENT.
    NO MORE COMPROMISE.
    NOT ONE MORE INCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post

Tailhook kit and Switchback grip from Yeti Wurks, just a TRS-25 while I decide if I want a red dot that cowitnesses with the stock sights or I want to go another direction. Right now I think that sight height is going to suit me.

Today's rounds downrange....

Magtech 115 FMJ 80 rounds
    Win 124 NATO 80 rounds
    Random 115 FMJ 30 rounds
    Fed 124 HST 64 rounds
    Fed XM9001 115 JHP 50 rounds

Total around 304 rounds (a few mags may have been downloaded 1 or 2, don't think I ever got 20 in a 20 round mag), probably just short of 300. The bottom target is 18 or 19 rounds of 124 NATO, supported at a pretty good clip from 25 yards.

Absolutely perfect function. Folds up about the same as a KelTec Sub2000 (~16"). I've got about 3x as much in it but I think it's easily 3x the firearm. Can't imagine how I could be any happier.

Monty
    So if the perp is bleeding yellow he’s down and out.
    If he’s bleeding green you’d better put another couple in him.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Donít use your last bullet on them.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Very nice pistol! Didn't know these came in 9mm. It may be only 9mm but with the stock and the groups your'e shooting you could do SERIOUS damage to a perp.

And it doesn't look "too" much different from the original, except for the rails. The original used .32 ACP and had a cyclic rate of about 850 rounds a minute. 9mm would give it quite a bit more punch.

Nice gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    But still a 9mm Seriously, heard lots of good reports about it.

Take a look at Federal American Eagle 147 gr. truncated cone/flat point ball. Good hard hitting stuff, can be found pretty cheap sometimes, too. The listing at
    https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-147-...le-1000-rounds has pictures...
    Good ammo. The best pricing I found was $193 for 20 boxes (a case) here: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...9fp-p-661.aspx
    Free shipping if you buy a case of the ammo and there is a $20 federal rebate ($1 per 50 rounds). $8.65/box after rebate.
    My case of this ammo was delivered yesterday. It's a good practice substitute for the 9mm ammo I carry at 1/3 the cost.
    Last edited by 1911user; 01-01-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaMan View Post
    Very nice pistol! Didn't know these came in 9mm. It may be only 9mm but with the stock and the groups your'e shooting you could do SERIOUS damage to a perp.

And it doesn't look "too" much different from the original, except for the rails. The original used .32 ACP and had a cyclic rate of about 850 rounds a minute. 9mm would give it quite a bit more punch.

Nice gun!
    Czech vz61 Skorpion: History and Mechanics

Forgotten Weapons
    Published on Nov 4, 2017
    Run time (20:01)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QUcZjBHq8A

Nice looking and performing weapon.

I like it!

Question for you, how do you find the length of the safety lever? With mine, depending on grip, I find the lever to hit in the webbing area between my thumb and trigger finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Racing22 View Post
    Question for you, how do you find the length of the safety lever? With mine, depending on grip, I find the lever to hit in the webbing area between my thumb and trigger finger.
    I expected it to be an issue but I didn't even notice it. I think the Yeti Wurks Switchback grip changed the positioning of my hand to take it out of the path of that right side safety level. Still, I'll probably switch it for the mini AK style.

I never fired it with the original grip so not sure if it would have been an issue with me or not. I did take a pair of mechanics gloves just in case and actually ran it a little with the gloves on, it's very glove friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    So if the perp is bleeding yellow he’s down and out.
    If he’s bleeding green you’d better put another couple in him.
    Yeah, let's go with that, LOL.

Hit the 50 this past weekend, need those targets more everyday to tell if I'm even on the paper, lol.

The CZ was my 50th birthday present to myself.

My cousin surprised me with this one, Smith & Wesson .500 S&W Magnum.
    Attached Images

CZ Scorpion Evo3 S1, 1000rds Later!
    Run time (7:21)
    Ak Operators Union, Local 47-74
    Published on Nov 4, 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLfMUmw7GjI

CZ Scorpion Evo3 S1, 2000 Rds Later!
    Run time (7:32)
    Published on Dec 1, 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSDtcwOdNOc

CZ Scorpion EVO 3 Review
    Run time (14:12)
    sootch00
    Published on Nov 26, 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzgoAH6e7A8

Quote Originally Posted by Housecarl View Post
    CZ Scorpion Evo3 S1, 1000rds Later!
    Run time (7:21)
    Published on Nov 4, 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLfMUmw7GjI

CZ Scorpion Evo3 S1, 2000 Rds Later!
    Run time (7:32)
    Published on Dec 1, 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSDtcwOdNOc
    Watching his videos prior to my purchased helped convince me I was making the right choice and....I think I need a carbine version to go along with my pistol.

..I think I need a carbine version to go along with my pistol.
    and I wish I could add the pistol version to the carbine that I already have.

I also have a Beretta CX4 Storm carbine that I like even more.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911user View Post
    That much better than a sub2K... hmmm
    Nice pistol!
    Not necessarily. The Sub2k has a 15” barrel. Much more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    Not necessarily. The Sub2k has a 15” barrel. Much more accurate.
    Sub2k barrel is slightly over 16", the CZ is around 7.7".....in a rifle caliber, that might make a difference, in a pistol caliber...I'm taking the CHF barrel of the CZ every time. Give up maybe 100fps in muzzle velocity and my guess is the accuracy of the better quality barrel of the CZ would be superior. Only advantage the Sub2K would have is slightly flatter shooting due to higher velocity. Ergonomics of the CZ would make it far easier to shoot accurately and quicker.

I owned a Sub2k, I couldn't sell it quick enough, part of that may be the way it fit me, I am large guy and contorting to get a sight picture was torture. Add a red dot and you lose the folding feature unless you get that fancy flip mount of questionable quality that mounts to a flexible part of the weapon. Sub2K over a pistol, sure, I'll aim over the sights and still get good hits, it's not a bad option and if it fit me I would probably still have it. The CZ is a totally different class of weapon.

Awerbuck used to say that the state of the art was a moving target. He was talking about TTPs mostly (tactics, techniques, procedures), but the same goes for technology. There is always some new thing under the sun, and sometimes the new thing is an actual improvement over the old one.

DW's Christmas present this year was an AR-15 pistol in .300 Blackout - 24" (8.5" barrel) of compact ballistic goodness that can manage effective hits out to 200 yards and further with bullet weights (supersonic) from 110 to 150 grains. The round is a hybrid, half pistol and half rifle, and I waited for a while before sampling the waters. I don't want to do the paperwork dance to get a can for it at this point so supersonic it is, but it is an overall very neat, ergonomically familiar and useful package.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto

Last edited by Watchman2; 01-02-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    NO MORE INFRINGEMENT.
    NO MORE COMPROMISE.
    NOT ONE MORE INCH.

Wow... hold onto that one with both hands when squeezing the trigger.

The CZ was my 50th birthday present to myself.

My cousin surprised me with this one, Smith & Wesson .500 S&W Magnum.
    NO MORE INFRINGEMENT.
    NO MORE COMPROMISE.
    NOT ONE MORE INCH.

The 9mm's are a fun gun. Virtually no recoil and the ammo is relatively cheap. I have a Ruger PC carbine that I really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman2 View Post
    This piece does have a model that comes with a 16 inch barrel.....

https://grabagun.com/search/?q=CZ+Scorpion+Evo+3+S1
    That link just brings up a general selection. Here is the actual carbine with the 16-1/2 barrel. This is the one I have. It's a fun gun, and being 9 mm, very little recoil.

Yup I was in the middle of editing to share multiple links...…. and got pulled away from the computer...…..

Thanks for narrowing it down!!!!

That link just brings up a general selection. Here is the actual carbine with the 16-1/2 barrel. This is the one I have. It's a fun gun, and being 9 mm, very little recoil.

NO MORE INFRINGEMENT.
    NO MORE COMPROMISE.
    NOT ONE MORE INCH.

This right here is very tempting.

The benefit of the Sub2K is that you can get the 33rd mags that also fit in the Glock 17..... so your Sub2K and side arm are using the same mags...…. which is how I have set my wife up...……

W2

NO MORE INFRINGEMENT.
    NO MORE COMPROMISE.
    NOT ONE MORE INCH.

The Ruger PC carbine will use Glock mags or the same mags as some Ruger pistols. It is a takedown that breaks down to two pieces that are only 16". Just another choice among of hundreds of different guns.

This is good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    The Ruger PC carbine will use Glock mags or the same mags as some Ruger pistols. It is a takedown that breaks down to two pieces that are only 16". Just another choice among of hundreds of different guns.
    NO MORE INFRINGEMENT.
    NO MORE COMPROMISE.
    NOT ONE MORE INCH.

I really like my 9mm carbine for fun but for practical use I consider it rather useless. For defense I would much rather use my .223 with much better accuracy and much better terminal ballistics. If my .223 is too large for the situation my 9mm pistol at ranges of 25 yards or less is about as accurate as the carbine and uses the same ammo and mags.
    The 9mm is way under-powered for hunting much of anything and not as accurate as any of my 22 rifles of about the same length and the 22's are lighter and would certainly be my choice for small game.
    But I bought the 9mm carbine for fun and it is excellent in that role.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Ahhh, but come on. It's not tacti-Cool...

What would you rather tell your buddies you bought, a Scorpion... or a PC (politically correct) carbine?

This just looks like your mom's old rifle.

Well, if I could get what I really wanted right now, it would be a SiG Rattler - but $2800 MSRP is a little steep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=7b6vCcnZ2Qc
    Sig Rattler 300BLK - Everything you wanted to know and more.
    RT 53:33

Ahhh, but come on. It's not tacti-Cool...

What would you rather tell your buddies you bought, a Scorpion... or a PC (politically correct) carbine?

This just looks like your mom's old rifle.

I've had two of the Ruger PCC. The take down feature is neat and it's a plus they take the Glock mags I have dozens of but neither that I had were reliable and takedown is overly cumbersome.

I really did want a platform that took the Glock mags but the quite affordable Scorpion mags (<$20 each) was the next best thing.

Considered a few others....Sig MPX....very expensive, mags were expensive and questionable QC unfortunately. CMMG Banshee, this is the one I really thought I wanted but the price was several hundred more and...I thought the CZ a little sexier, lol https://www.cmmginc.com/product/pist...-300-mkgs-9mm/ Might still get one in the next year....just cause.

I've got 5.56 carbines and pistols if I feel the need for rifle calibers but for most uses, I think the 9mm "braced pistol" will serve quite well. To each their own.

I really did want a platform that took the Glock mags but the quite affordable Scorpion mags (<$20 each) was the next best thing.
    If using the Glock mags was an important point, how about going for a Wilson Combat AR9, they're pretty sexy too!!

If using the Glock mags was an important point, how about going for a Wilson Combat AR9, they're pretty sexy too!!
    Problem is I've already gone and I'm quite happy with where I arrived "important" is probably a stronger word than my opinions were on the matter.

I don't believe the Wilson ever crossed my radar and I probably would have balked at the price anyway. It's even more than the CMMG Banshee, but yeah it sure is a looker

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/ar9-pistol/

Appreciate the heads up on the Wilson (have any experience with one?), there are probably some other custom shop guns out there, it's a good market as I believe the gaming side of the PCC and PC pistols is taking off.

Thanks!

Monty

PSA Daily Deals...

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...790590sob.html
    PSA 9mm Billet Complete Glock© Style Magazine MOE Pistol Lower with SOB Brace, Black
    $ 249.99

============================================

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165450004.html
    PSA Gen4 4" 9mm 5" Lightweight M-Lok Railed Upper - With BCG & CH - 5165450004
    $ 299.99

I seem to recall a carbine of some brand that takes the same mags as my S&W 915. Anyone know what that is, how does it perform?
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Donít use your last bullet on them.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Monty, did you look at other braces? Did you compare any others. I’m thinking of getting a Scorpion and have been looking at the SB tactical brace.

I seem to recall a carbine of some brand that takes the same mags as my S&W 915.

The KelTec Sub2000 did at one time, IIRC, they make it to take a variety of magazines. They are into Gen2 now, as listed-

The SUB-2000 is available in the following variants:
    Smith & Wesson M&P (9mm or .40cal)
    Sig Sauer P226 (9mm or .40cal)
    Beretta 92 & 96
    Glock 17, 19, 22 & 23
    MSRP: $500.00

https://www.keltecweapons.com/rifles/sub-2000