Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

USA Riots Loom As Food Stamp Cash Will Run Out By End Of January If Government Shutdown Continues
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Government shutdown could lead to millions of evictions

Funding for HUDís rental assistance programs would lapse if shutdown drags on

Entering its third week, and with no end in sight, the partial federal government shutdown is putting millions of low-income tenants who depend on funding from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) at risk.

On January 4, HUD sent a letter to 1,500 landlords who house tenants under various rental assistance programs, including Section 8 vouchers and project-based rental assistance, urging them not to initiate evictions for tenants over HUD funding that has now lapsed.

According the Washington Post, HUD officials didnít realize this funding had lapsed on January 1, and the shutdown prevents them from renewing it. HUD officials are now tapping reserve funds and ďscouring for money,Ē according to the Post.

About 95 percent of HUDís 7,500 employees have been furloughed. The remaining 5 percent are exempt because they respond to emergency situations that endanger life or property.

Among the routine HUD functions on pause due to the shutdown are building inspections for properties that receive HUD funding. NBC highlighted the consequences of paused inspections with a report detailing how the floor collapsed under one privately owned, HUD-funding property in Connecticut that had been waiting for months for an inspection.

Rental assistance programs continue to operate on the basis of funding thatís already been appropriated, or in situations where life or property are threatened, but should the shutdown carry on, much of that funding would lapse, and HUD wouldnít be able to renew it while the government remains closed.

According to the National Low Income Housing Coalition, local public housing authorities (PHAs) will be able to fund housing vouchers through February, but funding for capital improvements are less certain. Some smaller PHAs may also not have enough funding to continue normal operations. The longer the shutdown goes, the more low-income tenants are at risk of being evicted.

And so far there doesnít seem to be an imminent deal to reopen the government. The shutdown began on December 21, 2018, when President Trump refused to sign a budget bill passed by Congress because it didnít include $5 billion for a wall along the southern border, which was his signature campaign promise.

The president and Democrats have met multiple times in hopes of finding a solution to the impasse, but neither side has budged from their respective positions. The shutdown is currently the second-longest in the countryís history, with the longest being the 21-day closure under President Bill Clinton in the late 1990s.

According to NBC, nonprofits and other agencies that rely on HUD were unprepared for the shutdown. Usually, government departments hold an emergency call with relevant stakeholders prior to a shutdown, but because of the sudden start to the current shutdown, these calls didnít happen. It was also reported that Trump didnít know a government shutdown could lead to evictions for those who depend on HUDís rental assistance programs.

This has left many who depend on HUD in the dark on what will happen should the shutdown drag on, which seems more likely with each passing day. HUD has a shutdown contingency plan on its website, but itís the same plan from the February 2018 shutdown, so itís unclear if HUD has reevaluated or adjusted its plan.

https://www.curbed.com/2019/1/7/1817...ams-trump-2019
    Matthew 6:24 No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Ah well, let's look on the bright side! Another month to buy our bullets and food.

I found out today that we will be getting commodities as usual this month.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/a...y-the-shutdown

78 Percent Of Americans Are Living Paycheck To Paycheck – Including Many Government Workers Affected By The Shutdown

By Michael Snyder 1-10-20

In just a few days, this will officially be the longest government shutdown in U.S. history, and there is no end in sight. President Trump is pledging that he will not sign any spending bill unless it includes funding for a border wall, and the Democrats are promising their supporters that they will never agree to a single penny for a wall. This could be the confrontation that ends up defining Trump’s presidency, and whoever backs down now is going to look incredibly weak. But the longer this shutdown lasts, the more painful things are going to become for the hundreds of thousands of federal workers that are going without pay, and for the hundreds of thousands of workers that are employed by government contractors that rely on business from the federal government.

You should never play a game of chicken with somebody that is crazier than you are. In this case, it looks like both sides fully expect the other party to blink first, but the truth is that neither side is likely to yield any time soon.

So the days ahead are likely to be exceedingly painful for most federal workers, because just like the population as a whole, most of them are living paycheck to paycheck.

In fact, one survey found that 78 percent of American workers are currently living paycheck to paycheck…

Government workers are far from alone in feeling stressed about not getting paid. Nearly 80 percent of American workers (78 percent) say they’re living paycheck to paycheck, according to a 2017 report by employment website CareerBuilder. Women are particularly vulnerable: 81 percent of them report living paycheck to paycheck, compared with 75 percent of men.

As I have repeatedly stressed, living paycheck to paycheck is something that you do not want to do if at all possible. When you live paycheck to paycheck, you are just one major disaster away from financial ruin. For example, if somebody in your family has a major accident or a significant medical emergency, it can quickly render you completely destitute.

That same survey also discovered that 70 percent of all workers are currently in debt…

Just more than 70 percent of all respondents say that they’re in debt, and a quarter of workers say they weren’t able to make ends meet at the end of every month of the past year.

If you are scrambling to make debt payments every month and you have no financial cushion to fall back on, then you have no room for error, and that is where most Americans find themselves today.

So for most federal workers, this government shutdown is not just an inconvenience.

According to Professor Paul Light, somewhere around 800,000 government workers are currently going without pay…

The shutdown has left approximately 800,000 federal workers in financial limbo. Around 420,000 “essential” employees are working without pay, while another 380,000 have been ordered to stay home, according to calculations provided to CNBC by Paul Light, a professor of public service at New York University.

Of course the mainstream media is going to be filled with sob stories from these workers for as long as this shutdown lasts. For instance, CNN recently profiled the plight of TSA security officer Jessica Caraballo…

The partial government shutdown that began December 22 left Caraballo and 420,000 other federal workers across the country forced to work without a paycheck. Two weeks have passed and dozens of families like the Caraballos have put their lives on hold.

“Rent is due, light bill, gas bill, my car bill is due the 26th,” Caraballo said. “I already got my last paycheck and there’s no paycheck to come.”

“I don’t know when we would be able to celebrate birthdays, when we would be able to get ahead,” she added. “This is a pushback.”

Without a doubt things are tough right now for families like the Caraballos, but what will they do when a real national emergency strikes?

As we watch all the chaos that a minor disruption has created, it should cause all of us to realize that any sort of a major disruption could be extremely catastrophic for most of the country.

The vast majority of us are deeply, deeply dependent on the system. That is fine and dandy as long as the system is functioning well, but what if someday it stops functioning altogether?

For the moment, many government workers can just pile up more debt to get through this short-term crisis. Of course many of them are already drowning in debt, and we just learned that U.S. consumer borrowing was up another 22 billion dollars during the month of November.

However, if this shutdown lasts for another month or two, the mood of this nation is going to get quite sour, and that will especially be true once the food stamp benefits run out…

The U.S. Department of Agriculture, which oversees SNAP at the federal level, is one of the agencies unfunded during the partial government shutdown. USDA Secretary Sonny Perdue announced Tuesday that SNAP would be funded through February, thanks to the funding bill that expired on Dec. 22, which included a provision allowing federal agencies to make obligated payments to support certain programs for 30 days after its expiration date.

Can you imagine the uproar that we would see if 38 million people were suddenly cut off from food stamps?

I think that the left is counting on that as negotiating leverage if they need it.

At this point we do not know how the political gridlock in Washington will end. Today, President Trump walked out of a meeting with Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi when Pelosi told him point blank that there will be no money for a wall. At this point there does not seem to be any room for a compromise, and it will be politically disastrous for either side to back down now.

Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of government workers are going to be hurting, and the pain will intensify with each passing day.

About the author: Michael Snyder is a nationally-syndicated writer, media personality and political activist. He is the author of four books including Get Prepared Now, The Beginning Of The End and Living A Life That Really Matters. His articles are originally published on The Economic Collapse Blog, End Of The American Dream and The Most Important News. From there, his articles are republished on dozens of other prominent websites. If you would like to republish his articles, please feel free to do so. The more people that see this information the better, and we need to wake more people up while there is still time.

Caraballo can't celebrate a birthday? The local food pantry would help you out with cake mix and frosting. Shoot the cake mix is less than $3 here on sale. Red box is under $2. You could still celebrate for under $10. Now, maybe you can't go out to dinner and all but really? Make some homemade coupons for a back rub and such.

A

Quote Originally Posted by Michiana MaJo View Post

Can you imagine the uproar that we would see if 38 million people were suddenly cut off from food stamps?

I think that the left is counting on that as negotiating leverage if they need it.
    The LEFT? I bet TRUMP could use that uproar as negotiating leverage pretty effectively. "See what happens when these animals stop getting their freebies? This is why we need a wall!"

So I have a silly question.

Being as the Government has to borrow money to keep things going to the tune of Trillions of FRN's , would that not mean that the program is ALREADY out of money?

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Surely Chuck and Nan aren't stupid enough to call DJT's perceived bluff. He's got no reason to blink at this stage.
    I really think you're underestimating the opposition.... by a lot.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by petedtom View Post
    So I have a silly question.

Being as the Government has to borrow money to keep things going to the tune of Trillions of FRN's , would that not mean that the program is ALREADY out of money?
    Yes, all of those programs are out of money already. But that's ok. They will just borrow trillions more.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    ó Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by sunny225
    Yes, all of those programs are out of money already. But that's ok. They will just borrow trillions more.
    It's insane, isn't it?!

Look at that... 10 pages of wasted DOOOOOOOM!!!

Government Shutdown Won’t Affect Food Benefits in February
    President Donald Trump directed agencies to ensure government food benefits will be dispensed in February despite a partial government shutdown.

Congress has failed to pass a funding bill that secures the border, but President Trump has secured the nutrition low-income Americans need, according to a release from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).

“At President Trump’s direction, we have been working with the Administration on this solution. It works and is legally sound,” Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said Tuesday. “We want to assure states, and SNAP recipients, that the benefits for February will be provided”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...fits-february/
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared
    "You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson
    "No man knows but that the last backward glance over his shoulder may be his last look, forever." - Ernie Pyle Born: 1900 KIA: 1945 Shima, Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    Look at that... 10 pages of wasted DOOOOOOOM!!!

Government Shutdown Won’t Affect Food Benefits in February
    President Donald Trump directed agencies to ensure government food benefits will be dispensed in February despite a partial government shutdown.

Congress has failed to pass a funding bill that secures the border, but President Trump has secured the nutrition low-income Americans need, according to a release from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).

“At President Trump’s direction, we have been working with the Administration on this solution. It works and is legally sound,” Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said Tuesday. “We want to assure states, and SNAP recipients, that the benefits for February will be provided”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...fits-february/
    Wasted hell! This is even better doom! Now the food stamps go dry in MARCH, which everyone knows, is a much better month for riots than February, where snow is a near-certainty.

Plus, Trump is the one who SAVED food stamps! Schumer and Pelosi were ready to take it all down while she's off on $10,000 a night hotel stays, but here's poor ole Trump, working through Christmas and keeping the food stamps going.

I wonder why Sonny Perdue wanted the states to issue Feb's benefits early (on or before Jan 20). Many will have their Jan and Feb benefits spent before their superbowl parties. Then what are they going to eat for the rest of the month?

Indiana issuing food stamps early due to government shutdown
    POSTED 4:26 PM, JANUARY 11, 2019, BY ASSOCIATED PRESS

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. ó Indiana plans to issue Februaryís food stamp benefits next week for hundreds of thousands of Hoosiers due to the partial federal government shutdown.

The stateís Family and Social Services Administration said Friday it will distribute Februaryís Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits on Jan. 19 for about 585,000 Indiana residents.

Indianaís SNAP benefits are usually issued to recipients over a 19-day period each month.

But the U.S. Department of Agricultureís Food and Nutrition Service has directed states to issue Februaryís benefits early as a one-time early benefit due to the ongoing government shutdown.

The FSSA says itís ďstronglyĒ encouraging Indianaís SNAP recipients to budget the benefits theyíll receive next week to ensure that theyíll cover their food needs throughout February.

Januaryís SNAP benefits are being distributed according to the normal schedule.

https://fox59.com/2019/01/11/indiana...ment-shutdown/

Quote Originally Posted by Mixin View Post
    Many will have their Jan and Feb benefits spent before their superbowl parties. Then what are they going to eat for the rest of the month?
    Undoubtedly

How many of those 38 million voted for the hag? If it is over 80% then let them go to the local Christian church or food kitchen.

The big boys are in charge now.

The dims will find a way to keep it funded because if they don't the democratic archipelago will burn.
    vienna 1683.

Turn your swords into plowshares ,and you'll be plowing for those that didn't...

We didn't create GOD out of our imagination ,He created us out of his.

Partial government shutdown affecting Ohio's February food stamp benefits

Those who receive SNAP benefits will see their February deposit in the next week and must make that last through the month of February.

January 14, 2019

Monday marked day 24 of the partial government shutdown. It is now the longest in U.S. history with no deal in sight.

As many Americans plan ahead, there are some things to know. This includes the news that federal food stamp benefits will still be given out for the month of February.

But those benefits are coming earlier than usual for those in Ohio's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, known as SNAP.

The benefits are expected to be issued in the next week, but local agencies are reminding recipients to plan ahead.

"It's kind of one of our fears here that people might think, 'Oh, I have this extra money in my account' and not realize that it's their February benefit," explains Stephanie Dodson of the Summit County Department of Job and Family Services.

So to underscore -- those who receive SNAP benefits will see their February deposit in the next week and must make that last through the month of February.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/lo...d-6c2512b2ce2c

I saw this a few days ago and thought, "look for a large number of stories about kids fainting in school or ending up in the hospital when their parents have spent all the money two weeks into February and have nothing left for the last two weeks."

It won't be anyone's fault but the parents; but the media will play this one up big time.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    I saw this a few days ago and thought, "look for a large number of stories about kids fainting in school or ending up in the hospital when their parents have spent all the money two weeks into February and have nothing left for the last two weeks."

It won't be anyone's fault but the parents; but the media will play this one up big time.
    Don't know how much good it will do. They're already making the government workers sound like the new Bonus Army in the making but that's not really going anywhere.

Are we ready for yet another crazy 'internet challenge'?

In the recent past we have seen the cinnamon challenge, Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge, the hot coil challenge, the cold water challenge, the Tide Pod challenge and a few others that I prefer to forget.

Now this shutdown may pave way for the newest challenge...

The Food Budget Challenge. This is where a person dares to limit their benefit consumption in increments so as to maintain consistent caloric intake during a specified term.

If a player is successful with The Food Budget Challenge they may then rise up to the next level and take the PDJT Challenge. This is where, in an economy sporting full employment, one pushes themselves to actually find gainful employment. Please warn your children.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Don't know how much good it will do. They're already making the government workers sound like the new Bonus Army in the making but that's not really going anywhere.
    But shutting down the airports probably will make a dent; the TSA agents have always been the weak link on this one (and I've mentioned that before).

They are relatively low paid for "essential" employees (most of whom are managers who are "essential" to keep the lights on in government buildings and protect property) and unlike the highly paid traffic controllers are much more likely to be living pretty close to the edge of things economically.

I actually saw one article where an airport spokesperson said pretty much off the record that they could understand why people were just not coming in because the bills won't wait and the landlord may not be accepting a note that you have been "furloughed" and people have to do something to "pay the rent."

I also totally agree that the amount of this type of thing is being hyped up (because it isn't THAT bad yet)but it won't take more than a couple of more weeks of this for there to mass airport closings (by next month if not before if this continues).

That WILL get the public's attention, though what comes out of that is anyone's guess.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by jed turtle View Post
    My take, is that once the rioting begins, Trump has all he needs to declare Martial Law, take over the tv stations and newspapers and radio stations. , shoot, I forgot to get in a year supply of organic, non-gmo popcorn. Argh!
    .... and you call yourself a prepper?

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Old Gray Mare View Post
    .... and you call yourself a prepper?

I've got at least a year's supply lol (though part of that is because a prepper friend used to live here and I inherited his 50 pound stash to go with my own) lol

All kids can get free meals at schools. Some get breakfast and lunch. In some cases I believe they are even given food to cover the weekends. I don't think any kids will be fainting at school.

But shutting down the airports probably will make a dent; the TSA agents have always been the weak link on this one (and I've mentioned that before).

They are relatively low paid for "essential" employees (most of whom are managers who are "essential" to keep the lights on in government buildings and protect property) and unlike the highly paid traffic controllers are much more likely to be living pretty close to the edge of things economically.

I actually saw one article where an airport spokesperson said pretty much off the record that they could understand why people were just not coming in because the bills won't wait and the landlord may not be accepting a note that you have been "furloughed" and people have to do something to "pay the rent."

I also totally agree that the amount of this type of thing is being hyped up (because it isn't THAT bad yet)but it won't take more than a couple of more weeks of this for there to mass airport closings (by next month if not before if this continues).

That WILL get the public's attention, though what comes out of that is anyone's guess.
    Likely not fast enough to make a difference. We're five days out from mandatory RIF by some reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Likely not fast enough to make a difference. We're five days out from mandatory RIF by some reports.
    Oh I think reductions in force are likely and there are already two threads on this one on the main; the point I meant to make was that the public will notice (and the press will play up and already are) the airline shutdown a lot faster than they will the threat of a loss of food stamps unless they are dependent on the program themselves.

"All" children do not get school meals but many do; it depends on where they live with lower income areas often having more than one meal served at school and this will keep down the problems.

But the press is still going to "play up" anything they can.

Oh I think reductions in force are likely and there are already two threads on this one on the main; the point I meant to make was that the public will notice (and the press will play up and already are) the airline shutdown a lot faster than they will the threat of a loss of food stamps unless they are dependent on the program themselves.

"All" children do not get school meals but many do; it depends on where they live with lower income areas often having more than one meal served at school and this will keep down the problems.

But the press is still going to "play up" anything they can.
    True. I was thinking that the press couldn't spin up fast enough to make RIF-stopping outrage possible from the public in so short a time. People already travel less now; it's winter and the kids are back in school. Even reduced TSA staff may be enough to keep the lines moving.

Well, the riots are on hold for at least another month, gang. I just got my February Food Stamps, ie cash benefits, today, on January 18th. Everybody in Oregon also got pre paid, early for February.

Unfortunately, this just pushes forward the chaos to about one month or so from now. Here is why. First, the sizeable chunk of people on the SNAP program, like Senior Citizens, and functional types, will just create a budget, and make them last till the first week of March. However, the SAMBOS are too ignorant to do that, and will simply spend the February benefits they got in January in January. AT ANY RATE, THE BENEFITS PAID TODAY ARE EXPECTED TO COVER SIX WEEKS, UNTIL THE FIRST WEEK OF MARCH. This also assumes that the March SNAP benefits will be paid on time, the first week of March 2019. If they are not, that will mean total chaos breaking out the first two weeks of March.

AGAIN, IF/WHEN THE NOWSKI BRIGADE SPENDS ALL THEIR SNAP, BY THE END OF JANUARY, OR BY MID FEBRYARY, BECAUSE THEY HAVE IMPULSE CONTROL ISSUES, OR HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO A FOOD BUDGET FOR SIX WEEKS, WELL DOOMER DOUG WILL PREDICT TOTAL CHAOS AT THIS POINT .

Trump will be blamed for, as the Marxist Democrats will gladly point out, all the "starving" children in mid February from "Trump cutting off their SNAP benefits."

The bottom line is the SAMBOS have no idea how to do a food budget, or not spend ALL OF THEIR FEBRUARY BENEFITS FOR FEBRUARY IN JANUARY. Yep, they will go into the last two weeks of February, or the first week of March HAVING SPENT EVERY SINGLE DIME ALREADY.

Yep, this is how it will play out in my opinion.
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" is available for sale at the following url
    http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007BRLFYU

If they had brains cells, they would still have January food/ benefits left over when they get February benefits, and could just sail thru the whole month. Not likely.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Donít use your last bullet on them.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Judging by the intelligence level of most people I see on a daily basis, I predict a lot of hungry people by mid-February.

Self control and forethought are SORELY lacking in this country as of late.
    "It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.Ē
    - JK Rowling

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonemom View Post
    Judging by the intelligence level of most people I see on a daily basis, I predict a lot of hungry people by mid-February.

Self control and forethought are SORELY lacking in this country as of late.
    Yup. Not only have we forgotten whatever critical thinking skills we once had, thinking itself is out of fashion!

This area just had a grocery shut down, without warning...will be interesting to see how that extra layer of circumstances plays out locally.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

Quote Originally Posted by jward View Post
    Yup. Not only have we forgotten whatever critical thinking skills we once had, thinking itself is out of fashion!

This area just had a grocery shut down, without warning...will be interesting to see how that extra layer of circumstances plays out locally.
    Any idea why the shutdown?
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Donít use your last bullet on them.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

I have gone two and a half weeks without any food whatsoever, people really need to develop some.fortitude.

I have been working full time for the last thirty-two years... Where the Hell is my free food?!?!

I help to distribute commodities here. I received an official letter just today saying that the last SNAP payment will be Jan. 20th until the gov. is up and running again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I have been working full time for the last thirty-two years... Where the Hell is my free food?!?!
    Well if you are laid off like I was in the early 1980s and your unemployment just pays the rent with enough left over to pay the electric bill if you only use one 25 watt bulb to read by; then the "free" meals that your taxes paid for while you were employed will be there.

I used to say that when friends wanted me to use food stamps to buy sodas or crisps for a party - I would say my tax dollars paid for this when I was employed and when I was working again, I would like to enjoy the fantasy that other people using the program would treat what was provided for them with the same respect.

I knew they wouldn't I'd seen some of the shopping carts, but other people do and that is to be encouraged (they are the folks that will buy food for both January and February and make it last as much as they can).

Melodi, in the state of Alabama, with various things in Huntsville that are Space related and a military base, the minimum unemployment would be $45 a week. The maximum would be $265, based on previous pay. A decent apartment in Huntsville goes for $700 or more. Huntsville is a very educated town with lots of PhDs and real rocket scientists. Many would be getting $1060 a month based on 4 weeks a month.

A

Quote Originally Posted by amarilla View Post
    Melodi, in the state of Alabama, with various things in Huntsville that are Space related and a military base, the minimum unemployment would be $45 a week. The maximum would be $265, based on previous pay. A decent apartment in Huntsville goes for $700 or more. Huntsville is a very educated town with lots of PhDs and real rocket scientists. Many would be getting $1060 a month based on 4 weeks a month.

A

I pray to God I never have to go on unemployment again. State max in NV is $400 a week and my rent is $1200. I've thought about moving to a smaller place but I've been here 9 years and I could not get a 2 bedroom apartment for less than $1000 a month in a decent area. Plus I have my pups and I would not want to do that to them. I have a nice sized yard (by Vegas standards) and they love running around. There's a small crack in the corner of the wall and they "communicate" with our neighbor's dogs LOL. I'd really like to stay in this house until I make my move to another state. That's going to depend on my kids and where they end up.

In June I lose DD's survivor benefits. I'll still make it since I have my second PT job but it will be tight. I don't ever want to have to go to the welfare office for food stamps again in my life. It was the most humiliating thing ever.
    At peace in the arms of Jesus. RIP my love until we meet again.

Quote Originally Posted by annieosage View Post

In June I lose DD's survivor benefits. I'll still make it since I have my second PT job but it will be tight. I don't ever want to have to go to the welfare office for food stamps again in my life. It was the most humiliating thing ever.
    This is a good reminder of how many people use our various safety nets as intended. There are dozens right here on this board who've either done so, or whose family of origins have.

I resent with a white hot anger working hard and taking nothing from anyone for anything, while gamers have their lifestyle subsidized. Same as everyone else. But I don't let it blind me to the number of elderly, infirm, righteous widows et Al who use the systems.
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    Any idea why the shutdown?
    All I have is rumors and suppositions. The owner may have had a cancer diagnosis. Of course, other stores have shut down in surrounding small towns over the past decade, and the profit margin is razor thin in groceries (or am I making that up?).. I know in 08 the credit dried up and impacted businesses, but no reason to think that's happening now.

Guess it's really unrelated to food stamps, but the thought of an area losing 30% of it's for profit food distribution sources, on top of concerns they might see their food $ curtailed, and add in the winter storms... Makes me wonder if there is a true problem building.

Doesn't help that the main food pantry is shut down due to furnace issue.