Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

INSANITY Chicago: New Play Titled ‘Christmas Mubarak’ Mixes Christian and Muslim Stories of Jesus’ Birth
+ Reply to Thread

Chicago: New Play Titled ‘Christmas Mubarak’ Mixes Christian and Muslim Stories of Jesus’ Birth

Ragnarok: The two religions have NOTHING IN COMMON...

READ THE MUTHAEFFING QU'RAN, YOU LAZY F@CKS!!!

Sorry but, I am so over this crap!!!

Christmas Mubarak
    Christmas Mubarak is a first-of-its-kind musical / theatre interplay of Muslim stories and Christian music that celebrates the miraculous birth, life, and ascension of Jesus.

This workshop production features actors from our Silk Road communities and choir members from the First United Methodist Church at The Chicago Temple.

This production of Christmas Mubarak is supported by the Landau Family Foundation and The Interfaith Fund
    https://www.silkroadrising.org/current-event

New Play Titled ‘Christmas Mubarak’ Mixes Christian and Muslim Stories of Jesus’ Birth

CHICAGO (RNS) — The scene is familiar from many Nativity scenes arranged at this time of year: the Virgin Mary, cradling the newborn Jesus.

Then, the baby speaks, defending his mother’s innocence and declaring he has been appointed as a prophet.

That might come as a surprise to Christians in the audience of the new play “Christmas Mubarak.”

The play, an original production from the Chicago theater company Silk Road Rising, sets the story of the births and lives of both Mary and Jesus from the Quran and Muslim traditions alongside the Christmas music of Christian traditions, in hopes it will illustrate how much the two religions have in common.

Christmas Mubarak” premiered last weekend in Silk Road Rising’s basement theater at the Chicago Temple, home to First United Methodist Church. The theater company was formed after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, to shape conversation about Asian and Middle Eastern Americans and became the church’s company in residence several years later.

With an ensemble cast of four playing all the characters and adding scholarly asides where Muslim traditions interpret stories differently, the show is — in its own words — the story of “a love affair” between Islam and Jesus, who is viewed as a prophet by Muslims.

The songs in the show, which range from a Byzantine Christian hymn to Christmas carols like “Oh Holy Night” to contemporary Christian songs like “Mary Did You Know,” are performed by several members of First United Methodist’s choir.

This is a love letter to the Muslims we know and who come, that they’re going to feel like they’re incorporated in the Christmas holiday,” said Corey Pond, a Silk Road member who directed and adapted the play, working with a consultant on Islam to make sure it wouldn’t offend.

Pond, who was raised United Methodist, began working on the play over the summer. He said he wanted to tell the Muslim stories of Jesus’ life chronologically, from the promise of his birth to the promise of his return, and chose stories that, if they weren’t the same in both Islam and Christianity, were similar enough to feel familiar to Christians in the audience.

There’s the story of the angel Gabriel announcing to Mary she miraculously will give birth to Jesus, similar to the account in the Christian Gospel of Luke. In Islam, this fulfills a prophecy that was given to her father. Mary then hides away during her pregnancy, revealing it to Joseph, who in Islam is not her fiance, but her cousin.

Like the play’s Christmas tree — the date palm under which Mary gives birth to Jesus, alone in the desert — the stories of Jesus’ miraculous healings and his temptation, familiar as they are to Christians, come with what Pond called a “twist,” or a slightly different moral in Islam.

At one point, God sends a miraculous supper to Jesus and his disciples that may call to mind for Christians the scene of Jesus’ Last Supper with the disciples. And the play describes prophecies about Jesus’ return, though Muslims do not believe, as Christians do, that Jesus was crucified, died and rose from the dead. ( Ragnarok: So... Tell me, again, about the "similarities" between Islam and Christianity! )

It’s different enough that it feels like a wonderful way for both Muslim and Christian to refresh their understanding of the story and to find something new in the story in this moment that we live in,” said Malik Gillani, executive director of Silk Road Rising.

The idea for the production came from Gillani, who is Shiite Ismaili Muslim, and Jamil Khoury, a Syrian Orthodox Christian, who founded Silk Road Rising.

Khoury, the company’s artistic director, said they had been thinking about telling the Muslim and Christian stories of Jesus’ birth and life alongside each other for several years. They brought it to the stage, they said, at a time when divisions between the two religions feel heightened.

Jesus being the central figure in Christianity and Jesus being an important figure in Islam — and also Mary being an important figure in Islam — it just seemed to me that this would be a very useful conversation starter and also a way to illuminate for Christian audiences many of the similarities,” Khoury said.

After a workshop performance on Nov. 30, one audience member described “Christmas Mubarak” as the “Muslim ‘Godspell,’” referring to the Broadway musical of the 1970s based on the Gospel of Matthew. Others called it “a learning experience,” expressing surprise that in the Quran Jesus didn’t die on a cross — or that he appeared in the Quran at all.

In fact, as the play notes in one of its scholarly asides, Jesus is named more often than any other figure in the Quran. ( Ragnarok: Muhammad might disagree... ) And Mary is the only woman explicitly named in Muslims’ holy book, appearing more frequently in the Quran than she is in the Christian New Testament. An entire chapter is named after her in the Quran.

In light of the #MeToo movement, Mary’s prominence in the play and in the Quran adds to the show’s timeliness, said Gillani, and shows the power of seeing the Christmas story through the eyes of two faiths.

I think that the moment we’re living in is (one) where we all need to take this journey with each other,” he said.
    https://religionnews.com/2018/12/05/...f-jesus-birth/
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared
    "You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson
    "No man knows but that the last backward glance over his shoulder may be his last look, forever." - Ernie Pyle Born: 1900 KIA: 1945 Shima, Okinawa

It is sad how far many of the United Methodist churches have fallen into error.

A

Matthew 7:22-23
    Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Oh, it's all just such a huggy-kissy-snuggyfest, isn't it?

Roland Fodghar
    ‏ @RolandFDH
    3m3 minutes ago

#QAnon #Breaking
    The first official visit by a Catholic leader to the Arabian Peninsula will take place in February next year when Pope Francis fulfills the invitation to Abu Dhabi, the capital of the UAE,

Abu Dhabi sits off the mainland on an island in the Persian Gulf
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

vomitous apostasy
    Sapphire

myopically challenged

Blasphemy. Lies. Fake news.
    Veiled in flesh, the Godhead see; hail the incarnate Deity. Pleased as man with men to dwell, Jesus our Emmanuel. — CHARLES WESLEY

For every prophecy on the first coming of Christ, there are eight on Christ’s second coming. — PAUL LEE TAN

Just trying to set the scene for the one world religion,
    Chrislam as taken off already in parts of Africa

Quote Originally Posted by TammyinWI View Post
    Blasphemy. Lies. Fake news.
    The problem is - they're not the first.

Um. Look at the current symbolism of Christmas. Christmas trees are 9th century Druid, Santa Clause is 17th century middle-European, "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" is 1950s American.

Actually not a lot of mention of seeking shelter with the chattel, seeing a star, or the promise that a small child brought for the salvation of humankind.

What we see and enjoy as Christmas 2018 is an amalgam of cultures and outlooks.

What is different in this case is the obvious "pandering" to cultural difference. Tickets sold on the basis of the controversy, sold because of the ill will between groups, or offered in attempt by one group to "appease" another.

Why not a Hindu/Christian amalgam? Why not a Buddist/Christian amalgam? One imagines the market penetration for each of these would be VERY small.

But attach yourself to controversy at the marketplace of IDEAS and your way is assured.

If you don't want to see it or don't agree with the message - don't go. Spend your money on classic DVDs which show life in the United States as it USED to be.

And probably would still be if certain parties didn't want to dominate you.

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

Quote Originally Posted by amarilla View Post
    It is sad how far many of the United Methodist churches have fallen into error.

A

could be a methodist church in name only - some of those black churches are nothing but continuation of the previous white church - they keep the name because there's already a nice big sign out front ....
    Illini Warrior

2 Thessalonians 2:11 Context

8And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: 9Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. 13But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 14Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Oh, the children of Abraham. Just carrying on a family tradition.

Let's see. The Jews fist came along and appropriated parts of other and older religions of the time, wrote their own holy book with stories from other cultures, and persecuted and killed many of the people who didn't believe their new religion.

Then the Christians came along over a thousand years later, appropriated most of the Jewish religion, and added a new holy book with a different ending, and then proceeded to persecute and kill the Jews for over a thousand years.

Then the Moslems come along almost 700 years later and appropriated much of both the Jewish and the Christian religions, added their new holy book with yet a different ending, and then proceeded to persecute and kill members of both religions for over a thousand years.

In the words of Hank Williams Jr. They're just carrying on a family tradition.

Country music singers have always been a real close family
    But lately, some of my kinfolks have disowned a few others and me
    I guess it's because I kind of changed my direction
    Lord, I guess I went and broke their family tradition

They get on me and want to know, Hank why do you drink? Hank, why do you roll smoke?
    Why must you live out the songs that you wrote?
    Over and over, everybody makes my predictions
    So if I get stoned, I'm just carrying on an old family tradition

I am very proud of my daddy's name
    Although his kind of music and mine ain't exactly the same
    Stop and think it over, put yourself in my position
    If I get stoned and sing all night long, it's a family tradition

So don't ask me, Hank, why do you drink? Hank, why do you roll smoke?
    If I'm down in a honky-tonk some ole slick's trying to give me friction
    I said leave me alone, I'm singing all night long, it's a family tradition

Lord I have loved some ladies and I have loved Jim Beam
    And they both tried to kill me in 1973
    When that doctor asked me, "Son how'd you get in this condition?"
    I said, "a-hey sawbones, I'm just carrying on an ole family tradition"

So don't ask me, Hank, why do you drink? Hank, Why do you roll smoke?
    Stop and think it over, try to put yourself in my unique position
    If I get stoned and sing all night long, it's a family tradition
    "When you're dead, you don't even know you're dead.
    It's difficult only for others.
    It's the same when you're stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
    In the words of Hank Williams Jr. They're just carrying on a family tradition.
    The "Children of Abraham" by different women. If Abraham had listened to his God instead of his wife and not knocked up Hagar, we wouldn't be having these problems, would we?

"Family tradition" my ass...

Galatians 4:22-31 - "For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free."

The more things change, the more they stay the same, huh?
    "No man knows but that the last backward glance over his shoulder may be his last look, forever." - Ernie Pyle Born: 1900 KIA: 1945 Shima, Okinawa

Sorry but you are using your holy book which Christians stole from the Jews and then wrote a new book that fundamentally disregarded many things in the first book. Don't feel bad, the moslems did the same.
    Both appropriated the Jewish beliefs, wrote a follow on holy book and discarded the old customs and laws they didn't like while also claiming many things in the old book had been changed.

For the last 2000 years it's been a family squabble with wars and killing on all sides, but all claim to be descended from Abraham, and all pick and choose what laws they want to obey or believe from the Jewish holy book and all have their own follow on holy books that recognizes the Jews holy book but add a different endings.

To get back to the OP, this play seems to be combining stuff from the Christian and Moslem holy books, both of whom did the same thing with the Jewish holy book.
    Nothing new there. It's happened before.
    I don't agree with it, but it's not a new thing and it doesn't surprise me.
    As I said. "Its a family tradition" The animosity is never greater than between people who share some beliefs and traditions but differ sharply on others.
    "When you're dead, you don't even know you're dead.
    It's difficult only for others.
    It's the same when you're stupid."

Thanks for posting this, Ragnarok,

I had no idea it's gotten this bad.

Holy H.E. double hockey sticks, fire, and damnation!!!!

WOW - all new level of 'G-d's So Coming Down Here' now!....can't believe Christians actually fall for this load of crap.* What a huge deception....the camel doesn't have his nose under the tent - he's actually IN the tent now!

And The First United Methodist Church - they should change their name to The First United Methodist Church Of Islam.**

And, as a Christian, I don't 'share a single belief or tradition' with a Moslem!
    Last edited by Chance; 12-07-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    "Apres la Guerre."

Quote Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
    Sorry but you are using your holy book which Christians stole from the Jews and then wrote a new book that fundamentally disregarded many things in the first book. Don't feel bad, the moslems did the same.
    Both appropriated the Jewish beliefs, wrote a follow on holy book and discarded the old customs and laws they didn't like while also claiming many things in the old book had been changed.

For the last 2000 years it's been a family squabble with wars and killing on all sides, but all claim to be descended from Abraham, and all pick and choose what laws they want to obey or believe from the Jewish holy book and all have their own follow on holy books that recognizes the Jews holy book but add a different endings.

To get back to the OP, this play seems to be combining stuff from the Christian and Moslem holy books, both of whom did the same thing with the Jewish holy book.
    Nothing new there. It's happened before.
    I don't agree with it, but it's not a new thing and it doesn't surprise me.
    As I said. "Its a family tradition" The animosity is never greater than between people who share some beliefs and traditions but differ sharply on others.
    I swear we re-hash the same subjects constantly...

I love, ya, Terry ( really )... You have some of the most reasoned and level headed posts on the board and I respect them even though I very rarely agree with them but you drive me freakin' insane!

( When we get into the realm of religion and I see you have posted )

Quote Originally Posted by SAPPHIRE View Post
    vomitous apostasy
    You are being far too restrained, and I mean that quite seriously
    Don't start nuthin', then won't be nuthin'

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Thanks for posting this, Ragnarok,

I had no idea it's gotten this bad.

Holy H.E. double hockey sticks, fire, and damnation!!!!

WOW - all new level of 'G-d's So Coming Down Here' now!....can't believe Christians actually fall for this load of crap.* What a huge deception....the camel doesn't have his nose under the tent - he's actually IN the tent now!

And The First United Methodist Church - they should change their name to The First United Methodist Church Of Islam.**

And, as a Christian, I don't 'share a single belief or tradition' with a Moslem!
    I completely agree. I was raised in the southern baptist tradition, and I consider that a cult within Christianity. So is the United Methodist Church.
    Don't start nuthin', then won't be nuthin'

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
    I completely agree. I was raised in the southern baptist tradition, and I consider that a cult within Christianity. So is the United Methodist Church.
    Is there a church that is not considered a “cult” by a majority of Christians? Serious question. I was raised without a church, joined my wife in Assembly of God, don’t have experience beyond a general feeling that every church considers themselves the right one and everybody else is wrong.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    Is there a church that is not considered a “cult” by a majority of Christians? Serious question. I was raised without a church, joined my wife in Assembly of God, don’t have experience beyond a general feeling that every church considers themselves the right one and everybody else is wrong.
    I was raised non-denominational and we were considered a "cult" in our village...

OP:

“I think that the moment we’re living in is (one) where we all need to take this journey with each other,” he said.

I will contribute this and nothing more:

We will, indeed, take this journey with each other, but only some will finish the trip.

The truth is,if you do not have a personal relationdpship with Jesus then Christmas is nothing or if you do then that play is nothing. The ball is in your court.
    "When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." ~ Frederic Bastiilt

"Duty is ours; results are God's."