Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HEALTH brain-dead woman survives after being removed from life support
+ Reply to Thread

brain-dead woman survives after being removed from life support

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...upport-n944276

By Elisha Fieldstadt
    Moments after a Michigan man made the heart-wrenching decision to take his wife off life support, she started breathing on her own.
    Michele De Leeuw, 57, was rendered nearly brain dead by a heart attack she suffered in August while at home with her husband. Days later, one of her doctors told her husband, Karl De Leeuw that, "the woman that you know as your wife is not there anymore," he said.

Less than four months later, she's made an almost full recovery.
    Michele De Leeuw was without oxygen for 15 minutes before Sterling Heights paramedics were able to resuscitate her, Karl De Leeuw said.
    She was then rushed to St. John Macomb Hospital, at which point Karl alerted his two adult children.

"When my father called me after she was rushed to the hospital, was that he felt that she was dead. It was the most earth-shattering phone call of my young life," said Michele's daughter, Myles De Leeuw, 24. "It was horrible to see my mother on more IVs and tubes than you can ever imagine."
    "I’ve never seen that many IVs," Karl Leeuw, 58, echoed.
    Six days after Michele's heart attack, her distraught family was told she had only 5 percent brain function and 25 percent heart function.
    Michele De Leeuw with her daughter, Myles; her son, Jake and her husband, Karl.Courtesy of Myles De LeeuwAt that point, Karl De Leeuw was charged with making what he called the "hardest decision of my life."
    "I took her off the ventilator. I unplugged her," he told NBC News.
    "When we pulled the plug, it was just so sad to start living with the reality that my mom is dead," said Myles De Leeuw.
    But that wasn't the reality.

"She started breathing on her own," Karl De Leeuw said.
    Michele De Leeuw hadn't gained consciousness though, and doctors didn't expect her to recover so she was placed in "comfort care" for patients who are expected to pass away.
    "Two days later, the doctor called me on the phone and said, 'We’ve had an unexpected event happen,'" Karl De Leeuw said. His wife's eyes had opened.
    Two days after that, she was talking.

"She told the nurse she’s hungry," Karl De Leeuw said. "I said, 'well feed her.'"
    "Two days later she was sitting up in bed feeding herself," Karl De Leeuw said
    Still, Michele De Leeuw had a long way to go. She didn't know where she was, wasn't making sense and still had blockages in her veins.
    Today though, after open heart surgery, speech and physical therapy, she's nearly fully recovered.
    On Tuesday, she was awarded the Sterling Heights Fire Department’s “Survival Coin” at an event that brings heart attack survivors together with the first responders who treated them.

"You wouldn’t believe it if you didn’t know what she’s gone through." Karl De Leeuw said. "She’s a miracle lady."
    He said his wife came home from her heart surgery on their 26th anniversary and it got him thinking about marriage vows.

Karl said through the years, the couple's bond has survived "for richer or for poorer." And over the past four months, they've overcome "in sickness and in health."
    "For me though, I don’t think there are a lot of couples who can pass the last one," Karl De Leeuw said. "Till death do us part."
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

“During the course of your life you will find that things are not always fair. You will find that things happen to you that you do not deserve and that are not always warranted. But you have to put your head down and fight, fight, fight. Never, ever, ever give up!”

- President Donald J. Trump

Where there is life, there is hope. Good for them!

God is good, thank You Lord.
    AKA bobinky, just an old coot livin' on a hillside in Kentucky.

This happens all the time!! My cousin was declared brain-dead and then woke up. Brain death is a made-up term for an otherwise healthy person with a brain injury who they want to harvest for organs.

This happened to a man our DD was dating after he was in an accident. Oh the testimony he shared afterwards!
    Thanks for the OP and for starting my day off with a smile
    I once was blind but now I see!...
    Acts 9:11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”

Some years back, I listened to a radio program, where an MD was suggesting that people do not sign consent forms for organ donation.....he told of cases like this, where people were declared brain dead, by their doctors, but after the plug was pulled, they still survived and did well, again.

Also, if there were to be organ donation, it has to be done while the patient is still alive, even though declared brain dead, so that person, who is unconscious, may still feel the pain of having his organs surgically removed!

Quote Originally Posted by Michiana MaJo View Post
    Some years back, I listened to a radio program, where an MD was suggesting that people do not sign consent forms for organ donation.....he told of cases like this, where people were declared brain dead, by their doctors, but after the plug was pulled, they still survived and did well, again.

Also, if there were to be organ donation, it has to be done while the patient is still alive, even though declared brain dead, so that person, who is unconscious, may still feel the pain of having his organs surgically removed!
    My eyes just opened wide. They keep pushing for a do not resuscitate document at the VA.

FORTE EST VINUM, FORTIOR EST REX, FORTIORES SUNT MULIERES:

SUPER OMNIA VINCIT VERITAS.

I have PERSONALLY known 3 people who were "dead" but 2 of them are still around, and quite healthy today. 1 was a boy in high school who was hit by a car. He was declared dead and was brought back about 5 minutes later. He claimed he had seen family that had passed before him. He was completely convinced it was so. The second was the father of a friend who had a heart attack and ended up on life support. Dr's told them he had no chance of recovery and would be gone when they took off life support. They turned it off and he started breathing on his own. He was home in a week and driving a couple of weeks later. He did pass on a few years later but had a few reasonably healthy years after he was supposed to be dead. The third was a very good friend in Mexico. She had some type of major lung shutdown and ended up in the hospital and flat-lined. They called her death and several of us were there around her and while standing in the room started talking about what to do with her cat and dog. She came back out of it suddenly several minutes later without any help from medical staff. Later she was able to tell us everything we had said while she lay "dead"

So when does she vote Democrat?

No wait - she's not dead Jim.

I like miracles - they happen just often enough to make you think twice about the hereafter.

Owner says its like golfing.

Dobbin
    I hinnire propter hoc ecce ego

Michele De Leeuw was without oxygen for 15 minutes before Sterling Heights paramedics were able to resuscitate her, Karl De Leeuw said.
    So much for the "three minutes" paradigm! God is Good!

Wow!!!
    marymonde
    +++++++++++++++++++++

``Where the Bishop is, there let the multitude of believers be;
    even as where Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church'' Ignatius of Antioch, 1st c. A.D

My husband was in a head on car accident, hit a car pulled over on the shoulder at 55 mph. He could hear the doctors suggesting organ donation to his mother. She told them no. He said he couldn’t move, couldn’t talk, but knew what was going on.

No organ donations from me or my family. I’ve drilled it in my children’s heads.
    marymonde
    +++++++++++++++++++++

``Where the Bishop is, there let the multitude of believers be;
    even as where Jesus is, there is the Catholic Church'' Ignatius of Antioch, 1st c. A.D

My experience kind of the opposite. Even though two family members had "Do not resuscitate" signs all over them, they both got resuscitated, one twice, and they were not happy campers when they woke up. Figured dying once should be good enough.
    "The misfortune of many is the consolation of fools" Ancient proverb

"You wouldn’t believe it if you didn’t know what she’s gone through." Karl De Leeuw said. "She’s a miracle lady."

Prayers and a loving God....

Texican....

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
    This happens all the time!! My cousin was declared brain-dead and then woke up. Brain death is a made-up term for an otherwise healthy person with a brain injury who they want to harvest for organs.
    Yep, and since it's Michigan, I'm really surprised that they didn't grab hers while they had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by marymonde View Post
    No organ donations from me or my family. I’ve drilled it in my children’s heads.
    Good! And I've tried to convince others, as well, but unless they are from Michigan, they think I'm nuts.

During my 22 years of naval medicine I saw people die that should have lived and people that lived that should have died. Go figure. As a health care provider and first responder you fight for life as hard and long as you can and don't take anything for granted, but if it's not their time....it's not their time.

Miracles DO HAPPEN!!

FWIW....the last thing to go is hearing and the first to come back is hearing.....so be very VERY VERY mindful of what you say around an "unconscious" person....especially a "dead" one. They just might be listening.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

This is EXACTLY what my dad told us kids way back in the 70's.

He said that in order to 'harvest' organs, the patient must still be alive to keep the organs viable.

Vivisection, meaning, "Alive" and "Cutting", that is what Vivisection is.

He helped build a very well known hospital in Bellevue, Wa. which opened in 1959 and was the administrator (now referred to as CEO's) til he retired in the early 80's.

And then was called out of retirement by a friend to bring Snoqualmie Valley Hospital out of the red. He did that and then finally retired.

He also was well known in the healthcare field in the US and worked in the US gov. before all that when he was with what was called the "Point Four Program" and was sent to Iran. Helen Bakhtiar worked with/for him in Iran, an Extraordinary woman she was! I was going through my parents old pictures and just found many of Helen in them https://smile.amazon.com/Helen-Tus-O...s=helen+of+tus

So he knew what he was talking about!

And oh, he had a lot to say about us kids donating anything.

He said to us, Never donate your organs, don't sign the donor part on your drivers license like we have here in Wa. state.

Those ghouls will hard sell and lie to the patient's families and if we wanted to give anything away, they can take your corneas After you're gone.

The 'donation people' will hard sell, make the family who is already heart stricken and vulnerable, feel like crap if they don't donate their loved one's organs and pretty much will 'Grind Them' as my car dealer husband would say.

He said back then that your body parts are worth a ton on money and if someone should wish to donate and it's your relative, to be ruthless in your negotiations with the hospital on the bill.

In other words, too many people/ organizations make a whole lot of money off your relative's body parts so instead of being naively altruistic, to make sure that they lower the whole hospital bill because Nothing Is Free.

Too many people give everything away to the hospital and the donation orgs. and then are handed a bill after the fact for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I know that people are really grateful for getting donated organs, I totally understand that But make sure those organs are Not given away for free because too many companies are making thousands of dollars off of those donations. V
    Last edited by vessie; 12-06-2018 at 07:25 PM.