Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ECON DOW FUTURES DOWN OVER 300 at 10pm EST TONIGHT
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post
    Hate to bump this, but no one answered the question yet. I know a lot of you folks understand trading much more than I do. Answers, anyone? Thanks.

Best regards
    Doc
    Using modern computers, TPTB are magicians. Houdini would be put to shame when compared with what can be done to mend a broken system by simply pushing a few buttons.
    Sow the Wind....Reap the Whirlwind

I ain't no trader (spit) either but Ö

The 800 point drop was what, 3%? Don't know how leveraged who is in this market and don't even want to know, but any margin calls this drop might have tripped went out as usual and the usual demands for prompt payment ensued and were either met or not. Margined positions with unmet payments got closed out. That might have contributed to today's excitement, I don't know. I don't do margin. The financial wizards don't want to talk about margined losses or any other kind for that matter, so little news will be forthcoming until Depression 2.0 is history.

So I will tell you the same thing the financial wizards/Fed officials etc. do - don't worry about it
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post
    How much of the market is reliant on margin and could that have a cascading effect?
    That is a key question indeed. Seems like I read an article on Zero Hedge that talked about the large increase of buying on margin. I cannot remember the percentage but it was a lot.

could that have a cascading effect?

YES - Especially given the machine/computer trading levels that prevail in today's markets.

Algos (trading software) don't care, they don't reason, they just trip when certain parameters are hit. See "flash crash."
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    Finishes down -79...

Just one bunch of bananas short …
    Oops....

...Rubbin' is Racin'......

Quote Originally Posted by Adino View Post
    putz
    Look at it from the bright side.

You didn't lose anything the last two trading days...

WINNING!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by twobarkingdogs View Post
    I'm not sure that this is true. I believe that most banks invest in real estate or government/commercial notes and not the stock market. Thus a drop in the DOW should not impact them.

However an increase in loan defaults which is what happened in 08 would have an impact to the banks.

Hedge funds however would be hit hard. Pensions, Insurance companies, mutual funds, college endowments, etc would also be impacted.

tbd
    What is the definition of the fed's 'primary dealers'?

Who is the plunge protection team?

What is rehypothecation?

Whose money do they buy the f'ing dips with?

What happens to baby boomer deposits at tbtf banks when retirement accounts and pensions disappear and the floor for the next 20 years is gone?

What are Credit Default Swaps?

What is their notional value and who has underwritten them?

But....think whatever you want if it helps you and the putz sleep at night.
    pragmatic. eclectic. realistic. vivere paratus: fortune favors the prepared

the BIBLE: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth! read it yourself. live it. love it.

it is what it is.........but it will become what you make of it

Funny money is lots of fun - till it isn't.

What is the definition of the fed's 'primary dealers'?

Who is the plunge protection team?

What is rehypothecation?

Whose money do they buy the f'ing dips with?

What happens to baby boomer deposits at tbtf banks when retirement accounts and pensions disappear and the floor for the next 20 years is gone?

What are Credit Default Swaps?

What is their notional value and who has underwritten them?

But....think whatever you want if it helps you and the putz sleep at night.
    Well you have a lot of fancy terms here which don't necessary have anything to do with the DOW dropping 15k points. Remember a 15k drop is similar to what happened in 08. A drop of about 50%.

And my post for which I believe you called me a putz for having an opinion different then yours was about the impact on banks if the stock market drops 50%, 15k points.

Most bank deposits of normal folks are fdic insured. Most banks make their money on collecting interest. Its the big money center banks which have trading desks. By law those funds are kept separate from the insured funds. Yes I don't believe it either but its the way things are supposed to work. I do not believe a 15k drop in the DOW would cause bank runs. In the 30's banks failed. Back then when they failed they failed. Thats why we now have the government backstop. In the 80's banks failed with the s&l crisis. Mid to late 00 we had several banks fail, a couple a month if I remember correctly. The 08 banking crisis was caused by poorly made loans not the stock market drop. There were no huge wave of bank runs from 08 if I remember correctly.

At some point in time the market is going to drop 25 to 50%. As long as we are not in a major war with a china or russia or undergoing a wave of terror attacks it will come back. I do not believe it will come back as quickly as 08. I expect a decade. But that doesn't mean you can't make money from it as long as the economy holds up and consumers continue to buy. Yes the service industry will take a hit like it did in 08 but with the feds ability to print money and take rates to zero the supply of money won't be the problem. It will be getting the people to spend it

tbd

Quote Originally Posted by doctor_fungcool View Post
    Well said, H.C.

If we assume that the world economic system is lubricated by the petro dollar and that petro dollar is used as a medium for trade, then any depreciation in the price of oil, especially if it's drastic, will affect the world's economies in many ways.

Many of the economies that produce oil also buy weapons and weapon systems from first world producers.
    The selling and producing of these weapons creates vast quantities of wealth to those who manufacture these products. Many of the brush fire wars that our planet has endured over the years are fueled by a plentiful supply of war making materials. Hence, we can assume that a deflationary price in oil and for that matter other commodities (produce such as corn and soy) will affect the world's economies in many untoward ways.

Therefore, the unraveling of the economies of the large industrial nations of the world will be a horrific. The smaller economies will also experience economic dislocations which may be far worse than their richer cousins.

What's happening now, IMHO, is this.........EMPIRES THAT ARE BUILT ON SAND SELDOM ENDURE......winter is coming......time to put on the thermies.
    Investors investing into the raise of FUSA markets are now bailing out, because of Trump's warming to China US import tariff war...

Finished only -79.4.

Current futures are a boring -22. Everybody can go home now. See ya tomorrow.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist

If you have not been to the range in a month, you are under performing.-BB

You need to work out and get in shape. Your future enemies are.

UUmmmmm...Might want to look again....

RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

Athens, Tenn.
    Remember WHY?

Word to the wise:

"All skill is in vain when an Angel pees in the touch-hole of your musket!"

Well you have a lot of fancy terms here which don't necessary have anything to do with the DOW dropping 15k points. Remember a 15k drop is similar to what happened in 08. A drop of about 50%.

And my post for which I believe you called me a putz for having an opinion different then yours was about the impact on banks if the stock market drops 50%, 15k points.
    Go easy on the boy, for he knows not what he speaks...

He'll go read his book below:

Then, he learns some new words, and comes and posts his one-liners here. Some sort of hobby of his to try and show us what he thinks he knows. Just ignore him, then he'll go take a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    Investors investing into the raise of FUSA markets are now bailing out, because of Trump's warming to China US import tariff war...
    The MSM is laying the market behavior on the Canadians arresting the PRC telecom exec for Iranian sanction busting at the request of the US.....

Meanwhile the moose are happy!

https://whitegoldcorp.ca/news/releas...content_id=153
    White Gold Corp. Extends Discovery Hole to 22.5 g/t Gold and 154.0 g/t Silver over 30.5m, Trenches 66.39 g/t Gold and 302 g/t Silver over 5m, including 109.9 g/t Gold and 486.4 g/t Silver over 3m Confirming Zone Continuity on Vertigo, JP Ross
    December 6, 2018

Most bank deposits of normal folks are fdic insured. Most banks make their money on collecting interest. Its the big money center banks which have trading desks. By law those funds are kept separate from the insured funds. Yes I don't believe it either but its the way things are supposed to work. I do not believe a 15k drop in the DOW would cause bank runs. In the 30's banks failed. Back then when they failed they failed. Thats why we now have the government backstop. In the 80's banks failed with the s&l crisis. Mid to late 00 we had several banks fail, a couple a month if I remember correctly. The 08 banking crisis was caused by poorly made loans not the stock market drop. There were no huge wave of bank runs from 08 if I remember correctly.

At some point in time the market is going to drop 25 to 50%. As long as we are not in a major war with a china or russia or undergoing a wave of terror attacks it will come back. I do not believe it will come back as quickly as 08. I expect a decade. But that doesn't mean you can't make money from it as long as the economy holds up and consumers continue to buy. Yes the service industry will take a hit like it did in 08 but with the feds ability to print money and take rates to zero the supply of money won't be the problem. It will be getting the people to spend it

tbd
    The title putz is not yours, re read.

The discussion was the effect on the tbtf bank's balance sheets. You commented that the banks are not invested in the markets.

The 'fancy terms' are the reality the banks face.

The current crisis is in no way comparable to the s&l meltdowns because of the way banking has changed since then. The inter-connectivity and the use of the fed's primary dealers on the plunge protection team, the level of money lent by banks for leveraged investing - none of it is the same as any other financial crisis except '07. Only the crisis we are today is much larger.

the BIBLE: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth! read it yourself. live it. love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Racing22 View Post
    Go easy on the boy, for he knows not what he speaks...

He'll go read his book below:

Then, he learns some new words, and comes and posts his one-liners here. Some sort of hobby of his to try and show us what he thinks he knows. Just ignore him, then he'll go take a nap.
    Thanks for the picture, putz. I notice you still haven't even answered one of the dummies questions. Seems marxist's aren't the only experts in psychological projection. It is always amusing to see you parade your ignorance like a royal cloak though. You sir, are truly a broken record. Please feel free to discuss the basic foundational premises questions about business, finance, and economics I have posed.

I'm about done with you, you are nothing but an unteachable time sink.

Go on, drop something other than names and djia daily moves, charts you yourself can't explain, and your beautiful crayons.

What is money?

What is currency?

How would an economy based on money look different than an economy based on currency?

What are assets?

Liabilities?

Equity?

You keep calling me stupid, but can't seem to answer a single question. Either that or you know if you do the debate that ensues will have you in over your head in less than a post or two.

Debate or go on ignore on the finance threads.

The title putz is not yours, re read.
    Yes you are correct as you said
    you and the putz sleep at night
    so I guess you were really calling the wife a putz as that is who I sleep with each evening. She's a poor white trash redneck southern girl whos a bit feisty so I won't tell her what you said. But it was a bit impolite of you

But going back to the topic which was yesterday big open down in the market. A lot of people seem to think a couple of thousand point drop is going to lead to doom and gloom. Back in the 08 timeframe johngaltfl I believe his name was had a post on this site almost daily on deathburgers anytime the market opened down over a hundred points

Buts lets go with the 15000 point drop. The DOW is currently at 24800 so my quick math makes it look like about 60%. But what is the time frame of that 60% drop? Over night, several months, or several years. Details like this matters. We know it won't happen overnite as rules in place prevent it. So its going to take at least a couple of weeks minimum. IMO it will be over a of year.

Now lets look at some actual stocks. JNJ is currently at 145. A 60% drop puts it stock price down to 87 which is about where it was 5 years ago. So a 60% stock price drop caused 5 years in stock market gains in JNJ to be wiped out. But anyone who bought before 2013 is still in the money. Plus they collected all these nice dividends which lowered their cost basis even more. HomeDepot, Walmart and other companies have almost similar patterns.

Then you have the plunge protection team which I'm sure is some government black ops division who uses the printing press to buy stock. So they will do anything in their power to prevent the 15k, 60% drop. I think they will fail. Why, cause stocks are items which really have no value other then what someone wants to pay for them. Yes you buy a piece of a company but what does that really mean. Other then getting to vote each year I don't really know. But what I do know if that I get sent a dividend check every quarter which pays my bills

So a 60% market drop is all related to fear. Fear that what you are buying today is going to be worth less then its value tomorrow. Fear also increases selling because if someone thinks his item is going to be worth less tomorrow he is more likely to sell. This is why people still talk about 401k values being wiped out in 08 because they sold at or near the bottom. Fear told them take whatever money they could get.

But going back to JNJ which currently pays a 2.5% dividend. A 60% drop in its share price puts its yield up in the 5 to 6% range. Getting that yield for JNJ would be a historic opportunity.

But if you want to join the bandwagon and think that a drop in the stock market is going to lead to a collapse in civilization then go ahead. We have a difference of opinion. Now runaway inflation. Major war. Increases in domestic terrorism events. The movement away from the dollar being the global reserve currency. A large asteroid hitting earth. These I could see causing issues which is why I hang out on a preppers board. And thus my task for today is to collect another truck load of firewood. This will be used for the winter of 2020-2021. My work and savings today will pay me dividends tomorrow.

tbd

-361 Currently.

All over the place, in the 5xx's, 4xx's, etc.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th
    We Must Secure the Existance of Our People and a Future for White Children
    Make America Confederate Again
    2020 Is Going To Be A ClusterF*ck

The putz is on this thread not your bed twobarkingdogs, your 2nd try at reading comprehension wasn't much better.

The tbtf banks are the fed's primary dealers. The plunge protection team is bankster driven, not uncle sugar driven. The plunge protection team is the fed and its primary dealers. The tbtf banks ARE the buyers of the dips, the paper then either stays with them or travels out again. The ppt is there to protect banksters not markets or participants. The tbtf's are much more in the market than you seem to think.

Even if they were not, the people who are in the markets doing their banking at the tbtf banks. Their health is based on deposits. Deposits are based on the financial health of the depositors and the depositors are going to use deposits to make margins or make up from savings what they lose in the markets.

Both result in outflows of deposits, and if the djia lost 60% those deposits will leave the tbtf banks en mass. And then the balance sheets of the tbtf's will crater.

And jgf lost his f'ing mind over the '16 election. His analysis in '07 - and mine at the time too, the history is all still here to read - was correct. They were death burgers. The last vestiges of free markets did die. Bankruptcy laws were thrown out the window.

The rule of law was sacrificed to keep the illusion the economy and markets alive. Liquidity was pumped out by the trillions (liquidity that is debt from everyone else's perspective of the central banks) to mask the absolute and utter insolvency of the entire system.

The flooding of the world of funny money, the manipulation of the markets by banksters, the profligate spending of guv'ments - every single thing done since the financial crisis of '07 has exacerbated our problems and has not fixed a single one of them.

When I say tell yourself whatever you need to to sleep at night I mean you and you alone. And the putz.

You are lying to yourself about the state we are in.

I however have decided these threads are a total waste of my time and if the blind want to lead the blind into the ditch and are determined to do so, who am I to stand in the way.

I'm done being the bad guy for trying to help those who don't understand even basic market and monetary principles when their 'everything is great' paradigm smashes headlong into cognitive dissonance.

You all have fun rolling around in that wampum lined ditch.

BTW, currency is nothing more than medium of exchange and has no intrinsic value whatsoever. Our currency is even worse than worthless, it is from our perspective a debt - a debt owed to a for profit, private corporation called the Federal Reserve, which is not part of the guv'ment, and has no reserves.

Money has intrinsic value. Real money is gold, silver, and copper.

Our economy is based exclusively on frn's and frn's from our perspective (not being a central bank) is debt. That means our entire economy is based on debt. That means you can't grow the economy without growing debt. That means that the central banksters get a 'cut' of every transaction using frn's, whether or not the business is actually with the Fed. Why? because frn's are the property of the Fed. 6% off the top of every transaction goes to the fed, your roi starts after than. And after you pay for the frn itself, being debt and all.

There are no transactions sans banksters.

Economies based on money are based on assets. Their health is based not just on the health of the economy but also on the health of the money itself.

An economy based on money leaves all productive capacity under the free market as opposed to all capacity being based on debt and the subservience to banksters.

An asset is a future expense. Currency is not an asset, especially ours as our currency is debt.

Liabilities are what you owe.

Equity is assets minus liabilities.

If your assets are frn's - are debt- from what do you subtract liabilities to get to equity? Now recalculate your net worth.

Enjoy your ditch you blind leaders of blind, school is now out as far as I am concerned.

Buy gold. Buy silver. Got it. Copper? Nah, don't see that one yet. Actually, I correct myself. I've always thought copper in 1/2" and 3/4" pipes and fittings and in 1/4" and 3/8" coils would be a fine investment, maybe grounding rods too (round bar).
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th

Quote Originally Posted by Housecarl View Post
    The MSM is laying the market behavior on the Canadians arresting the PRC telecom exec for Iranian sanction busting at the request of the US.....
    Rush said he believes it is entirely possible our own State Dept. elitists ordered this arrest to interfere with the China tariff sunshine after the G 8 meeting. Good Lord, Trump has hundreds if not thousands of Washington elitists in powerful and less powerful positions plotting 24/7 to derail him and us (his supporters).

Lately whether the markets are going up or down, often it is straight up or straight down or at least a very sharp angle. Makes me think that investors are very jumpy and are quick to buy or sell.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nettleton View Post
    Rush said he believes it is entirely possible our own State Dept. elitists ordered this arrest to interfere with the China tariff sunshine after the G 8 meeting. Good Lord, Trump has hundreds if not thousands of Washington elitists in powerful and less powerful positions plotting 24/7 to derail him and us (his supporters).
    Yup, hence why he's screwed in 2020. I have a feeling the R is going to work hand in hand with the L in this next congress.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th

Quote Originally Posted by danielboon View Post
    Meh, 1's and 0's. More green one's will be CREATED out of thin air next week.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th

Still dropping.

Wonder if and when the PPT kicks in?

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EDJI/
    Attached Images
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The Market will close in one hour, at 4pm EST, and is now down some 629 points. I WILL ALSO ADD ONE THING. THE KEY FACTOR IS THE PERCENTAGE DROP. THE CURRENT POINT LESS IS LESS THAN THREE PERCENT.

THE 1987 "MARKET CRASH," WAS SOME 500 POINTS OUT OF A MARKET TOTAL OF 2000, OR 25 PERCENT.

Now that was a market crash. The same percentage would be out of a 24,000 total Market, which is over 6,000, and not 600 points.
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" is available for sale at the following url
    http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007BRLFYU

Quote Originally Posted by Doomer Doug View Post
    The Market will close in one hour, at 4pm EST, and is now down some 629 points. I WILL ALSO ADD ONE THING. THE KEY FACTOR IS THE PERCENTAGE DROP. THE CURRENT POINT LESS IS LESS THAN THREE PERCENT.

THE 1987 "MARKET CRASH," WAS SOME 500 POINTS OUT OF A MARKET TOTAL OF 2000, OR 25 PERCENT.

Now that was a market crash. The same percentage would be out of a 24,000 total Market, which is over 6,000, and not 600 points.
    I think the cumulative effect is gonna hurt. Or not. Green on Monday.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th

PLUNGE PROTECTION TEAM NOW ENGAGED

At the turn of the hour, the last seven minutes, the PPT has now fully engaged and has the market now down 608 points, from 629 less than three minutes ago. POUND THE DRUM, FEED THE MONKEY AND RIG THE DOW INDEX!!!!
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" is available for sale at the following url

Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th

DAMN, THOSE PUMP MONKEYS ARE GOING BAT OUT OF HADES NOW. FROM 629 AT THE TOP OF THE HOUR, TO 560 LESS THAN TEN MINUTES LATER. PUMP MONKEYS GET A 70 POINT SWING REAL QUICK NOW.

Here is a link to all the blood and guts!!!! OOps, I am so excited at seeing our ELITE PUMP MONKEYS IN ACTION I FORGOT THE LINK.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/djia

It is down 605 points right now. Ergo, a 120 point swing in about 15 minutes. Now, ain't the Pump Monkeys grand?
    Last edited by Doomer Doug; 12-07-2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: forgot link url

DAMN, THOSE PUMP MONKEYS ARE GOING BAT OUT OF HADES NOW. FROM 629 AT THE TOP OF THE HOUR, TO 560 LESS THAN TEN MINUTES LATER. PUMP MONKEYS GET A 70 POINT SWING REAL QUICK NOW.

Here is a link to all the blood and guts!!!!

It is down 605 points right now. Ergo, a 120 point swing in about 15 minutes. Now, ain't the Pump Monkeys grand?
    No link and PM's are almost as fun as trunk monkey's!
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th

Could it be the Pump Monkeys failed to take their steroids? Do they need viagra and not know it? Did they run out. 20 minutes into the final hour of PPT playtime and they are still down 570 Points. Oh, my!!! It means they have lost control of the market and the herd isn't listening to them anymore.

If the market heads into the weekend, with a 2 percent plus loss, after a nasty week, and then opens on Monday with a 600 point loss on Friday, well Katy bar the doors. Seriously, can it be "they" are finally making the economic, political and military moves to take Trump down once and for all?

Oh my!!!!!!!
    Sow the Wind....Reap the Whirlwind

Greg Manarino keeps saying that if you look at what is happening, it is all sellers - no one is buying.
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

THE KEY FACTOR IS THE PERCENTAGE DROP. THE CURRENT POINT LESS IS LESS THAN THREE PERCENT.
    Two points. First of all the impact here is on the cumulative effect over a number of days. A lot of points have been shed off the market in one weeks time and they have not been orderly moves. And secondarily but tied to the first point is we no longer have markets where price discovery takes place. What we now have is a giant confidence game. Once that confidence is lost it's a race to the exits. If the sheep get spooked the whole ball of wax can unravel so fast it will leave our heads spinning.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html