Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ECON DOW FUTURES DOWN OVER 300 at 10pm EST TONIGHT
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Dow Jones Industrial Average

DOW ∑ December 6, 10:38 AM EST
    ▼ 485.42 (1.94%)
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

at 11:12est
    Last edited by NCGirl; 12-06-2018 at 11:14 AM.

minus 716

The Fed better get a handle on this. It can implode faster than can be believed if the computers and traders get spooked and head to the exits.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Gold is only up five bucks on the news so far - no big deal, yet.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post
    The Fed better get a handle on this. It can implode faster than can be believed if the computers and traders get spooked and head to the exits.
    No. I thought the premise was back 2008 to take our licks and move on from there. No stopping this thing. Let's ride it out and see what happens. Just paper, right?

I also thought there were circuit breakers to stop it from going too crazy.

Now, granted, I'm not in the market so if it goes to 1 or 100,000 I don't have a pony in the race.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th
    We Must Secure the Existance of Our People and a Future for White Children
    Make America Confederate Again
    2020 Is Going To Be A ClusterF*ck

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    That's my real indicator. Once Au takes off then I'll believe we're in trouble. And by 'takes off' I mean 100's of dollars in a day.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th

Problem is, the "circuit breakers" are percentages (7% and 13% last I knew). Run the DOW up to the stratosphere, and it takes a lot more market points to make those percentages kick in.

OOPS!

Problem is, the "circuit breakers" are percentages (7% and 13% last I knew). Run the DOW up to the stratosphere, and it takes a lot more market points to make those percentages kick in.

OOPS!
    Oops indeed. Oh well.

In less than 30 day's I take out one of my old retirement acct's, fee's, taxe's, penalty's and all. It'll be mine and turned into hard asset's.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th

That's the part that surprises me. With all the recent volatility, I expected money to move there and Silver.

Apparently, people don't consider Gold to be a safehaven, after all.
    ...Rubbin' is Racin'......

The propaganda has worked very well. Gold is no longer a consideration for the average 'Murrkin.

Well equities are trying to bounce off big support levels and bonds are saying test February lows. Will be a very interesting next 2 hours

The propaganda has worked very well. Gold is no longer a consideration for the average 'Murrkin.
    ^^^THIS. In spades.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th

Nibbling at some January 2021 in the money LEAPS on OIH here. Could pay off nicely if/when the energy sector rebounds. I think it's oversold but who knows. These have 2 yrs to expiration.
    "You can do more than pray after you have prayed; but you can never do more than pray until you have prayed." (A.J. Gordon)

DOW down 617.44 just before I'm posting this. OK. Here's my clueless question: With today's losses and the 800 point drop on Tuesday, shouldn't the margin calls be going crazy? How much of the market is reliant on margin and could that have a cascading effect? I'm no trader, being (mostly) a hard assets guy, who additionally holds smallish equity positions in PM miners.

Best regards
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post
    DOW down 617.44 just before I'm posting this. OK. Here's my clueless question: With today's losses and the 800 point drop on Tuesday, shouldn't the margin calls be going crazy? How much of the market is reliant on margin and could that have a cascading effect? I'm no trader, being (mostly) a hard assets guy, who additionally holds smallish equity positions in PM miners.

Best regards
    Doc
    Good question! Uninformed inquiring minds want to know! (like me...)

My guess is they're leveraged sixty way's to Sunday. Much like the derivatives, might take a huge spark to set them off but once they go - look out.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th

Quote Originally Posted by Racing22 View Post
    That's the part that surprises me. With all the recent volatility, I expected money to move there and Silver.

Well, part of the problem is whether you're talking "paper" gold or physical gold, each of which has its issues, particularly in the current environment.

Not just propaganda but the economic straits the average American is currently paddling through....

Well, "paper" gold is just another "paper" commodity. Physically trading in any commodity is logistically problematic. Gold and silver present their own unique set of problems and concerns upto and including an FDResque repeat of his gold EO. Those who I know who have some physical holdings have either converted them back to FRNs to deal with emergencies (which is why they were aquired in the first place) or have kept such holdings small and readily portable. Investable resources either being spent closing up fiscal exposures or other personal or familial exposures....

So,somebody explain. If the Dow dropped 15000 how would that affect you? I would not feel it.

People with a 401k would be devastated?
    "When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." ~ Frederic Bastiilt

"Duty is ours; results are God's."

Quote Originally Posted by SSTemplar View Post
    So,somebody explain. If the Dow dropped 15000 how would that affect you? I would not feel it.

Mine was nuked back in 2007....
    Last edited by Housecarl; 12-06-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Smart phone auto corrwct strikes again....

Just fun doom to watch for me. My 403b is in almost all cash with a touch in bonds and a fund, I'm willing to risk the 10%. Don't have the time or the stomach to deal with massive losses in DAYS so I can sit by for YEARS and hope they come back. No thanks.

Part of me wonders with the gains we've seen if it's 'unnatural' somehow. It's gone way high, way quick. QE, I know, after that no freaking idea.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th

After Trump lost the ore-impeachment vote in the Senate by a 65-35 or so margin, a lot of re alignment started. The stalking horse of the Wahhabi terrorist Kashoggi was not about some thug getting killed by an oriental despot, but a Senate vote on convicting an impeached Trump, and Trump lost.
    So, IMHO, the big money guys are seeing a massive increase in taxes and regulations, though the cushy tax breaks for the elite will continue, as will the giant increase in .mil spending, which may not mean an increase in military strength at all, just more boondoggles and hot deals for expensive toys that don't work.
    So, irrespective of the excellent current economic data, the good times, short as they were, are coming to an end and it is time to take profits and restructure the portfolio in light of the big upcoming changes.
    SS
    ďThen the creatures of the high air answered to the battle, .., and the woods trembled and the wind sobbed telling them, the earth shook,; the witches of the valley, and the wolves of the forests, howled from every quarter and on every side of the armies, urging them against one another.Ē
    ― Lady Gregory, Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland

If the djia dropped 15,000 points every single tbtf bank's balance sheet would be obliterated and they would go down without immediate and simultaneous direct intervention of all the world's central banks - like in '07.

The central banks will not be pulling together to save the global system this time, it will be every nation for itself (until the national guv'ments fold, which is the bankster's plan) so the tbtf's...would.

And you would definitely feel that. Most definitely.
    pragmatic. eclectic. realistic. vivere paratus: fortune favors the prepared

the BIBLE: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth! read it yourself. live it. love it.

it is what it is.........but it will become what you make of it

Quote Originally Posted by Housecarl View Post
    Well, "paper" gold is just another "paper" commodity. Physically trading in any commodity is logistically problematic. Gold and silver present their own unique set of problems and concerns upto and including an FDResque repeat of his gold EO. Those who I know who have some physical holdings have either converted them back to FRNs to deal with emergencies (which is why they were aquired in the first place) or have kept such holdings small and readily portable. Investable resources either being spent closing up fiscal exposures or other personal or familial exposures....
    Great thoughts, HC
    By the way, I would like to buy a ham sandwich from you and I will pay for it in Gold. The speck of gold is about the size of the period at the end of your post...but it is Gold, really, trust me, it is yellow and... don't walk away, how about that ham sandwich?
    Ham sandwichless Shacknasty
    ďThen the creatures of the high air answered to the battle, .., and the woods trembled and the wind sobbed telling them, the earth shook,; the witches of the valley, and the wolves of the forests, howled from every quarter and on every side of the armies, urging them against one another.Ē
    ― Lady Gregory, Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland

OOPS!
    It's actually worse than even THAT looks, because those percentages are based off of the close of business as of the last trading day of the previous QUARTER, not the previous DAY. (IIRC)
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

Athens, Tenn.
    Remember WHY?

Word to the wise:

"All skill is in vain when an Angel pees in the touch-hole of your musket!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shacknasty Shagrat View Post
    Great thoughts, HC
    By the way, I would like to buy a ham sandwich from you and I will pay for it in Gold. The speck of gold is about the size of the period at the end of your post...but it is Gold, really, trust me, it is yellow and... don't walk away, how about that ham sandwich?
    Ham sandwichless Shacknasty
    That's why we had silver and copper coins back in the day.....

Gold, silver, copper......real money.

the BIBLE: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth! read it yourself. live it. love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adino View Post
    If the djia dropped 15,000 points every single tbtf bank's balance sheet would be obliterated and they would go down without immediate and simultaneous direct intervention of all the world's central banks - like in '07.

The central banks will not be pulling together to save the global system this time, it will be every nation for itself (until the national guv'ments fold, which is the bankster's plan) so the tbtf's...would.

Then it is a good thing my life does not depend on banks, you had me worried . NOT.
    "When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." ~ Frederic Bastiilt

"Duty is ours; results are God's."

Pfft...down 400 points. Let me know when we're %20 down and trading halts for the day.

Jump you *uckers!

SST may not depend on the banks (good on ya'! seriously no sarcasm there)

But the rest of the world that brings everything you need to eat, drink, have electricity, drive around, or pretty much anything that doesn't grow or walk on your property does. And even they do unless everything they eat, drink, and need for medicine also happens to sprout out of the ground in your parts.

So yeah, you're gonna feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by mwrobel View Post
    Pfft...down 400 points. Let me know when we're %20 down and trading halts for the day.

Jump you *uckers!

You have several down days of 400 or 500 points and it doesn’t take too long to hit your 20% benchmark.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Fighting back the last hour, now only -219.

Green by the close?

Green by the close?
    Almost..

Finishes down -79... Darn... Doom and Meltdown averted again....

There's always tomorrow.... stay tuned....

putz

Finishes down -79...

Just one bunch of bananas short …

If the DOW dropped 15k points the total value on my brokerage statement would be down. However assuming that the companies I own shares in continued business as usual then the dividends I earn from those shares would stay the same. Thus since I DRIP those dividends/shares I actually would be better off then today since the price per share of the stocks would be lower then today.

This is what I did in 99 and again in 2008.

So no I would not be devastated and I actually would be drunk with glee

I've said it before. Buy shares in good companies which pay a decent dividend. Reinvest the dividends and plan on holding the shares forever. Also never trust one company and try to hold at least 10. That way if you get stuck with a GE or GM the other stocks will provide you with a cushion until you can rotate to another name.

tbd

Quote Originally Posted by Adino View Post

I'm not sure that this is true. I believe that most banks invest in real estate or government/commercial notes and not the stock market. Thus a drop in the DOW should not impact them.

However an increase in loan defaults which is what happened in 08 would have an impact to the banks.

Hedge funds however would be hit hard. Pensions, Insurance companies, mutual funds, college endowments, etc would also be impacted.

tbd

Quote Originally Posted by twobarkingdogs View Post
    If the DOW dropped 15k points the total value on my brokerage statement would be down. However assuming that the companies I own shares in continued business as usual then the dividends I earn from those shares would stay the same. Thus since I DRIP those dividends/shares I actually would be better off then today since the price per share of the stocks would be lower then today.

This is what I did in 99 and again in 2008.

So no I would not be devastated and I actually would be drunk with glee

I've said it before. Buy shares in good companies which pay a decent dividend. Reinvest the dividends and plan on holding the shares forever. Also never trust one company and try to hold at least 10. That way if you get stuck with a GE or GM the other stocks will provide you with a cushion until you can rotate to another name.

tbd
    Banks have always been affected by the stock market. The Great Depression began with a stock market collapse. However, it is now widely held that the 29 market crash turned a stock market dive into the worst depression in U.S. history The drying up of the money supply would more than likely be just one result of a market crash of 15000 points. Bank runs would more than likely begin, as worried investors would begin stuffing their mattresses with cash.

In other words, a massive dislocation of stock market investments would have reverberations throughout the world's economies AND more likely than not throw CONUS into a worldwide depression of horrific proportions. We here in CONUS would not just be the only recipient of this dire economic news.....THE WHOLE WORLD WOULD BE AFFECTED.
    Last edited by doctor_fungcool; 12-06-2018 at 06:13 PM.
    Sow the Wind....Reap the Whirlwind

Quote Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post

Best regards
    Doc
    Hate to bump this, but no one answered the question yet. I know a lot of you folks understand trading much more than I do. Answers, anyone? Thanks.

Best regards
    Doc