Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

PREP Ordered a Trangia Alcohol Burner Cooking System for Christmas. Anybody Here Use This? Tips?
+ Reply to Thread

Ordered a Trangia Alcohol Burner Cooking System for Christmas. Anybody Here Use This? Tips?

We have taken DD car camping over many years and after a hiatus during her "teen years" DD, I and her hipster friends have gone on a number of car camping adventures.

I decided that the time was ripe for her to have some of her her own personal camping gear. Especially since she has developed an interest in backpacking along with our regular car camping forays which I lavishly accommodate with the mountain of gear in my basement. All DD and her friends have to bring is a toothbrush and a sleeping bag.

Decided to get her the Swedish made Trangia 27-0 ULHA cooking system.

27-0 ULHA (160270)

Hard anodized ultralight aluminium. Windshields in ultralight aluminium. Saucepans in hard anodized ultralight aluminium. Fry pan non-stick. Kettle 0.6 litre. Weight 860 gram. (under two pounds.

I added a Trangia case, .5 liter fuel bottle and a strainer/cutting board.

What do you think?
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Cooking" with alcohol can be tricky. The ultralight backpackers use alcohol sometimes, but all they are doing is heating water for hot drinks and mountain house meals and such.
    As long as you don't expect too much of it, and use it in warmer weather, you should be ok.
    If you have any other true "cooking" requirements, like longer cook times or simmering, alcohol may not be the way to go.
    Isobutane stoves and some of the liquid fuel stoves might be a better all-around choice. Jetboil makes a pretty good rig.
    If it were up to me being a lawyer would be an automatic disqualification from political office.

TrangiaTV

Published on Jan 20, 2012
    Subscribe 1.3K

Original Trangia Made in Sweden

A beautiful fall day at the lake Storsjön in Jämtland. We brought our Trangia stove to cook our lunch. This is what you need:

- Thin slices of elk
    - Lingonberry
    - Yellow and red peppers
    - Cream
    - Served with cous cous and a cold beer

Trangia - The movie (RT 7:05)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIitXB68LXg
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

Have not used the Trangia stove and they are very popular.
    Now I do have and used the 500 ML fuel bottle (16 Ounce) Very well made well thought out design I use it to hold extra fuel for my Seva 123 stove.

Got one and use it for heating water as there is no easy way to regulate the heat other than distance. I use the yellow gas tank heat. Use it in the ice fishing shelter to make coffee and mountain house food. It also has a limited heat time so you have to plan your meal well.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

I have a few of the trangia stoves that are swedish military surplus, but none of the other trangia cooking kit shown and don't have a simmer ring either.

The o-ring in the lid of the stove works and you can carry it with fuel inside. Just remember to temporarily remove the o-ring if using the lid to put out the flame.
    Also let the main body of the stove cool, before putting the o-ring back in the lid and tightening it down. Otherwise, you are looking to purchase a replacement o-ring. They'll melt, so I've read.
    The body of the stove gets hot when burning so be careful what it is sitting on and if picking it up after extinguishing the flame. It takes a while to cool down.
    I have not used any of my surplus stoves in extreme weather, so no help there.

EDIT: the simmer ring can be used to somewhat control the heat output of the burner. In the top picture in the first post with the burner, the lid (with o-ring inside) is on the right side and the simmer ring is on the left side. The metal disk in the center of the simmer ring can be opened or closed to the side to somewhat regulate the flame.

I have a few of the actual alcohol stoves you have pictured in there (the brass burner only not the whole stove set up) and I love them, they work great but if you use the burner alone you WILL need a wind screen, at least out here when its windy. I have seen conversion kits so the stove set up can use those ISO-butane burners as well. Like someone else said, the alcohol burners are great for heating up stuff but for cooking it can be tricky as you can not regulate the flame to a low simmer
    Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security.

I have the NEW Jetboil that allows you to turn it down to simmer.
    I also have the MSR Wisperlite stove. As a backup I have the generic pocket rocket.
    I bought them after a lot of research.

Been using them for 35 years, love em, started when we were in the scouts, we took them up nearly every mountain range in Europe, used it in wind storms , rain, hail , snow , can't beat getting a brew on when your up Scarfell Pike in January, a Vango Force Ten tent & a Trangia were essential kit ,

Get a metal Sigg bottle for your meths, you'll thank me

Unless she's camping where she can't even find dry twigs to burn, I prefer a solid fuel stove. You don't have to carry fuel with you, you don't have to buy fuel, and you can build some very nice stoves yourself for just a few dollars. There are also some nice ones for sale, like the Kelly Kettle.

Kathleen

https://www.manmadediy.com/3161-week...ing-camp-stove

This next one is a bit big for backpacking, but there are much smaller designs out there: https://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/b...-tin-cans.html

Here are a couple of wood-burning camp stoves that you can buy: http://qiwiz.net/stoves.html

https://www.amazon.com/Bushbox-Titan...1e85cda48d03fb

https://www.amazon.com/Emberlit-Tita...32af74d38229f6

If the budget allowed, I think this is the one I would buy (or a Kelly Kettle): https://bushbuddystove.com/products/bushbuddy-stove

https://www.amazon.com/Kelly-Kettle-...y+kettle&psc=1
    Last edited by Freeholder; 12-06-2018 at 09:14 AM.
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

An interesting "prep" consideration.

Why not use 190 proof, 95% grain alcohol, i.e. Everclear?

It burns as good or better than methanol or ethanol, it can be used as a safe antiseptic or mouthwash, and it can add extra excitement to your favorite beverage. Anything that has multiple uses is very desirable for prepping or lightweight backpacking. Everclear will be more expensive than other alcohols however. About 70 cents per ounce versus 20 cents per ounce for non-consumable alcohol.

In this test it actually boiled water faster than Heet which is commonly used by hikers due to it's relatively low cost and convenient packaging.

I personally am very leery of using HEET. Methyl alcohol is very poisonous and Lord knows what else is actually in that bottle. FYI - "denatured" alcohol is the safer ethyl alcohol that has been poisoned with the addition of some methyl alcohol.

Here is one test of Everclear versus HEET,

heet vs everclear alcohol stove (RT 11:53)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNkJuaphZ4o

1 oz of alcohol to boil 2 cups of cold water.

Times to bloom then time to boil and to burn out.

Heet 45sec to Bloom
    6 min to Boil
    Total burn time 7 min 30 sec

Everclear 1 min 15 sec to Bloom
    4min 55 sec to Boil
    Total burn time 8 min 30 sec

We don't have everclear here, can we use Poitìn

Quote Originally Posted by Marthanoir View Post
    We don't have everclear here, can we use Poitìn
    Irish Moonshine

Alcohol comes in 1 gallon can at Lowes/Depot - repackage into smaller containers. works great to slowly boil water for drinks & Mountain House. r

The fuel bottle needs to be burped before you pour the fuel!! As the contents warms up the pressure builds up inside the sealed bottle you need to undo the lock nut on the top and while it's in the upright position depress the button and let the built up pressure out and then go ahead and pour the fuel, otherwise you will get a gush of fuel and it gets splashed all over the place.

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/attac...1&d=1544152135
    Attached Images

Moose hunting 50 miles from town. My buddy had fancy expensive camp stove he pulled out. I pulled my Swedish military surplus alcohol burner. The short story is my simple technology saved the trip.