Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

SCI Can lab-grown human brains think?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Greely believes the concerns become more serious if organoids perceive and react to stimuli that might cause pain. “That becomes still more important if we have reason to believe the organoid has an aversive reaction to that stimuli, that it ‘feels pain’. I strongly doubt that anyone has reached that point or come close to it,” he added.
    I thought that the brain itself cannot feel pain. They can open your head and poke around and you don't feel a thing. Like Dennis said you have to connect some kind of sensors to the brain to feel pain and that is just the brain interpreting certain signals from the sensors as pain signals.

It's not only pain...it's fear and distress. All very basic, deep seated, primitive brain functions, but very real, and any possibility is subject to ethics regulation. So not only does a panel have to require analgesia (pain relief) but anesthesia as well to relieve any consciousness.

And yeah...as I said back when this was originally posted...places like China (and others from personal observation) don't give a care and push on regardless of considerations.

My understanding of research into humans deprived of all of their senses was that they started hallucinating and basically went insane (at least temporarily). It's silly to fear lab-created brains, which have no power to do anything to anyone, but it's not silly to fear *for* them, if they were to develop enough to be capable of thought and of emotions such as fear. Research to make sure potential medications are safe and efficacious is a good thing, but they need to monitor this closely.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Can lab developed brains become demonically possessed? At some point into the future, I'd say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    It is EXACTLY like science fiction and great fodder for my next Atlantis novel but in real life, I find this idea scary as heck.
    Matter does not create consciousness; consciousness creates matter. Think about it.

It's not only pain...it's fear and distress. All very basic, deep seated, primitive brain functions, but very real, and any possibility is subject to ethics regulation. So not only does a panel have to require analgesia (pain relief) but anesthesia as well to relieve any consciousness.

And yeah...as I said back when this was originally posted...places like China (and others from personal observation) don't give a care and push on regardless of considerations.
    My understanding of research into humans deprived of all of their senses was that they started hallucinating and basically went insane (at least temporarily). It's silly to fear lab-created brains, which have no power to do anything to anyone, but it's not silly to fear *for* them, if they were to develop enough to be capable of thought and of emotions such as fear. Research to make sure potential medications are safe and efficacious is a good thing, but they need to monitor this closely.
    Can lab developed brains become demonically possessed? At some point into the future, I'd say yes.
    Adding this all up you may come to some interesting possibilities. A brain, made in a lab, with all the basic primitive functions, but with no way to communicate, feel or express those thoughts, and is going crazy because there are no input/output functions would definitely hallucinate and perhaps even be a demon portal. I think many of us feel things in this world that surpass simple physical manipulations and so maybe this brain could find other ways of sensing/reacting to the world around it. That could really be scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
    Matter does not create consciousness; consciousness creates matter. Think about it.
    Yes, but can created biological matter attract consciousness?....
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

I have no brain. And I must vote.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Itís a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
    I’m thinking about it. I’m trying to create a sausage omelette for breakfast.
    Failed. Pancakes.
    Last edited by Profit of Doom; 10-21-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Itís a real pisser when your belief system gets T-boned by reality.
    Iím not afraid of dying...I just donít want to be there!
    ...sell your cloak, and buy a sword...Second Amendment 1.0

and sometime next year someone is going to propose hooking these things up to primitive digital sensors and actuators...

Fascinating Concepts here.
    Last edited by L.A.B.; 10-21-2019 at 10:55 PM.

But can lab grown brainoids... love?