Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

FARM An 8-ft-long lizard terrorized a Florida neighborhood for 3 months
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

An 8-ft-long lizard terrorized a Florida neighborhood for 3 months

A 150-pound lizard named Bamboo kept an entire neighborhood in the Miami area in a state of fear after it broke loose this August. The Asian monitor, capable of knocking its prey unconscious, was finally captured on Tuesday.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission had been hunting the massive lizard since August when it was first spotted lurking into the backyard of a home in a Davie neighborhood. The owner of the house, Zach Lieberman, described the prehistoric-looking creature as "Godzilla's small cousin" upon their first encounter. Lieberman, who has two kids aged 2 and 4, at first attempted to chase the animal away... but ended up being chased away by it.

The lizard, which is some 8 feet (2.5 meters) long, proved clever enough to dodge numerous traps made by conservationists. Horror movie plots have been built on weaker premises than a massive lizard lurking in a sleepy town – and the terror the locals felt was quite real.

"The whole community's really relieved because people can fully enjoy the outdoors again and not have to fear that this thing might be out there lurking or whether it would attack or get after their children or a pet," Lieberman told the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

The lizard was captured after Lieberman saw it again on Monday and tipped off the commission. The officials now say that the elusive monster will be returned to its owner, who lives in the same area.

Police have issued the owner a criminal citation for allowing the reptile to escape a pool where it had been kept with fellow gigantic lizards – yes, he had more than one.

The officials did not see any need for stronger measures, considering the owner was helpful in bringing Bamboo in.

"In this instance, the pet owner came forward and provided us with tips about the animal's behavior that ultimately helped our biologists capture it," the commission said.

While creatures like Bamboo pose a danger to people, especially small children, a permit is not required to possess Asian water monitors in Florida. Perspective owners, however, must comply with several requirements, such as making sure pets do not escape captivity.

https://www.rt.com/usa/443496-loose-...tured-florida/
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

While creatures like Bamboo pose a danger to people, especially small children, a permit is not required to possess Asian water monitors in Florida. Perspective owners, however, must comply with several requirements, such as making sure pets do not escape captivity.
    And that seems to be working out quite well...

How long before there is a breeding population in the 'glades along with the giant pythons and other "exotics" which started as pets?

Humans are STUPID!

Summerthyme

The lizard, which is some 8 feet (2.5 meters) long, proved clever enough to dodge numerous traps made by conservationists.

It couldn’t have dodged a .45 slug. People need to defend themselves, rather than depending on “someone else”.

I read in another article right beside that one somewhere, they also caught a 17 foot python. I'll see if I can find, because someone will call me on it. LOL

Has hunting season opened in FL?

Ok here it is:

MIAMI -- A man captured a massive, record-setting Burmese python in South Florida this week, CBS Miami reports.

Kyle Penniston of Homestead, Florida, caught the 17-foot, 5-inch female snake Monday night while hunting on South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) lands in Florida's Miami-Dade County. The snake weighed 120 pounds.

The python was captured as part of SFWMD's Python Elimination Program, which describes itself as an effort to preserve the ecosystem of the Florida Everglades by taking aggressive action against pythons. "Eliminating invasive species such as Burmese pythons is critical to preserving the rare Everglades ecosystem," SFWMD said Wednesday in a news release.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-cap...da-2018-11-08/

If a dangerous animal escapes from it's owner, it should legal and even encouraged for anyone to shoot and kill it.
    Don't know why it wasn't blown to hell by anyone, instead of being allowed to endanger a small town. Escaping animals like this should be destroyed and not returned to the owner.

All that being said, an 8 foot lizard is far less dangerous than the foul, stinking liberal Democrat election supervisors in Broward and Palm Beach counties here in Florida.
    "When you're dead, you don't even know you're dead.
    It's difficult only for others.
    It's the same when you're stupid."

People get stupider by the minute. I often doubt that most people qualify for "top of the food chain" status anymore.

Cool morning = slow lizard. .22 to the head or pith it with a crow bar.

I bet it would cook about like gator.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    I bet it would cook about like gator.
    And tastes like chicken.

Story seems a little sensational. The are VERY strong, but not sure how dangerous they actually are. (No personal experience. Big monitors equal big commitment and esp. MONEY... not a cheap pet to keep). Plenty of loose dogs around menacing people. Wouldn't be my first choice, but shoot the loose monitor (and the dogs) if you want to. No judgement from me.

AFIK, burms in FL can be kept, but the keeper needs a license. It also helps to have an albino, or very light colored morph that will stand out against brakish water and foliage if it did get lost. FL transplant, Dave Palumbo has a recent video featuring his albino (?) burm.

A 12 gauge and a load of #4 buck should do nicely.

They must not have any crackers, rednecks or Cajuns in FL any more.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

friend of my son, years ago had a green cobra. Very aggressive and very deadly.
    Son asked him one day just what are you thinkg having such a dangerous snake in your house, around your kids and wife
    There is no anti venom anywhere in the US if your bit.

Friend did kill it.

But why was it allowed to import and be sold to the public in the first place is my question.

We have some stupid people in this country both in and out of govt.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    The lizard, which is some 8 feet (2.5 meters) long, proved clever enough to dodge numerous traps made by conservationists.

It couldn’t have dodged a .45 slug. People need to defend themselves, rather than depending on “someone else”.
    I was thinking Deer Slug with the size of that thing

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    And tastes like chicken.
    I think they eat those things, along with Armadillos down in Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    I read in another article right beside that one somewhere, they also caught a 17 foot python. I'll see if I can find, because someone will call me on it. LOL

Has hunting season opened in FL?

Ok here it is:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-cap...da-2018-11-08/

“When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.” - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post

lol, that's rich.
    "America was a GREAT country once - then we gave it to the faggots, niggers and women"

“8 foot long lizard”

Isn’t that an alligator?

Quote Originally Posted by thompson View Post

Thompson, now that's a snake!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fenwick Babbitt View Post
    I was thinking Deer Slug with the size of that thing

I think they eat those things, along with Armadillos down in Mexico
    I couldn't help but think of that spoken by Crocodile Dundee. LOL

Love the inclusion of the blood spot in the pic. My kinda people.
    From what I've heard/read (Fla folks would know) it's always open season on these problem loose exotics.
    Should be a $1000 bounty too IMHO.

A lot of belts and boots riding around on that sucker.
    pragmatic. eclectic. realistic. vivere paratus: fortune favors the prepared

the BIBLE: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth! read it yourself. live it. love it.

it is what it is.........but it will become what you make of it

Quote Originally Posted by Adino View Post
    A lot of belts and boots riding around on that sucker.
    I wish! One of the reasons people don't hunt them more is that the Everglades are contaminated with mercury, and the burms aren't safe to eat.
    Nothing wrong with some snakeskin. The pelts are beautiful.

Gaters don't scare me but Monitors do. Those are dinosaurs! Fast with big teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBreeze View Post
    Thompson, now that's a snake!!!!
    That's at least one pair of boots, a hat band, and a belt!
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    That's at least one pair of boots, a hat band, and a belt!
    I'd like a purse or at least a wallet to match!
    “When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.” - Ronald Reagan

Agree, something like that in my neighborhood would expire from lead poisoning...(fire up the barbie!)
    Work Like You Don't Need the Money
    Love Like You've Never Been Hurt
    Dance Like Nobody's Watching.....

I'd like a purse or at least a wallet to match!
    you might get a wallet if I used most of it for boots.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Yep, the farther went into the back yard to chase away the lizard and was chased by it.... A 12 gauge with buckshot would have ended this charade.....

Good old boys in the South and Southwest would have killed this lizard, skinned it, smoked it and thrown a party and eaten it.... Then they would have bragged about killing and eating an 8' lizard....

And had boots and belts made out of the hide....

Texican....
    Last edited by Texican; 11-09-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    Yep, the father went into the back yard to chase away the lizard and was chased by it.... A 12 gauge with buckshot would have ended this charade.....

Good old boys in the South and Southwest would have killed this lizard, skinned it, smoked it and thrown a party and eaten it.... Then they would have bragged about killing and eating an 8' lizard....

And had boots and belts made out of the hide....

Texican....

Yep! Those Floridians clearly do not have any redneck left in them.

I'd have to look it up to compare it with a Gater but at eight feet, if comparable the head is only going to be about a foot or so, brain is small. Better a few rounds thru the Sidewalls to destryo the heart/lungs that trying to peg the peanut-sezed brain and yeah, I would have shot it as well.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

If that thing had been in my yard, it's skin would now be tacked to a piece of plywood in my garage, salted down and drying nicely.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I, YHWH, change not." ~ our Creator

Why no photos at all of the lizard?

OOPS, slow internet loading. photos finally loaded.

VERIZON "unlimited data plan" sucks! TOO MUCH "times out" because they choke your connection speed!
    After a modest usage they literally strangle your internet speed to preclude loading anything like videos,or photos. and unwanted ADS that move or include video clips USE YOUR DATA and speed up your arrival at their "choke loading" point!
    Last edited by ainitfunny; 11-09-2018 at 07:53 PM.
    AMP 2 Cor 6:2
    For He says, “At the acceptable time (the time of grace) I listened to you, And I helped you on the day of salvation.” Behold, now is “the acceptable time,” behold, now is “the day of salvation”—

Not sure why everyone wants to kill that lizard. I think it would make a mighty fine addition to my mote!

Unrelated thought... I've got this idea in my head that antifa types are as comfortable in rural settings as the inner city minorities...hmm.
    We didn't elect Trump for his decorum; We elected him for our survival!

Did they get Bill to collect her and reunite her with Chelsea?
    Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than a pesky raven?
    It is difficult to stand idly by and watch the vacuum of ignorance being filled with lies

We had an over 6' Water Moniter lizard in my city that was terrorizing a neighborhood. We sent a patrolman to take care of it. He chased the beast up a tree then shot it back down with a 12 GA. Problem solved. The crying the snowflakes did in the newspaper comments was priceless.

I'd like to know what kind of person would be a "perspective owner", as mentioned at the end of the OP.

It might be 8 feet long but the photo shows about 5 feet of that is tail. The body is probably 3 feet long. Big lizard but hardly a giant predator. Just shoot the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    A 12 gauge and a load of #4 buck should do nicely.

They must not have any crackers, rednecks or Cajuns in FL any more.
    new YAWKas' and various and sundry other yankees run all the good folk out long time back Doz . . .
    “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

10 One of Australia's small snakes.......

That IS a full grown Kangaroo it is lifting out of the water btw!
    Attached Images
    Scarletbreasted

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletbreasted View Post
    That IS a full grown Kangaroo it is lifting out of the water btw!
    talk about a camo that matches it's sorroundings. Totally invisible in those rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ractivist View Post
    talk about a camo that matches it's sorroundings. Totally invisible in those rocks.

Can it eat that roo?

Quote Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
    If a dangerous animal escapes from it's owner, it should legal and even encouraged for anyone to shoot and kill it.
    Don't know why it wasn't blown to hell by anyone, instead of being allowed to endanger a small town. Escaping animals like this should be destroyed and not returned to the owner.

All that being said, an 8 foot lizard is far less dangerous than the foul, stinking liberal Democrat election supervisors in Broward and Palm Beach counties here in Florida.
    bold: They need to be "blown to hell" too.