Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HEALTH CDC Director: Congo’s Ebola Outbreak May Not Be Containable
+ Reply to Thread

CDC Director: Congo’s Ebola Outbreak May Not Be Containable

Robert Redfield, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that people need to be prepared for the worst. Redfield said the Democratic Republic of Congo’s newest Ebola outbreak may not be containable.

Tom Inglesby, the director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security in Baltimore, said that if the Ebola outbreak becomes endemic in the Congo’s North Kivu province, it shows “we’ve lost the ability to trace contacts, stop transmission chains and contain the outbreak.” In this situation, Ebola could spread, which could negatively impact both trade and travel, according to a report by Becker’s Hospital Review.

“I do think this is one of the challenges we’ll have to see, whether we’re able to contain, control and end the current outbreak with the current security situation, or do we move into the idea that this becomes more of an endemic Ebola outbreak in this region, which we’ve never really confronted,” Dr. Redfield told The Washington Post.

According to The Washington Post, if international Ebola containment efforts fail in the Congo, it would mark the first time the virus was not stopped since 1976 when Ebola was first identified. The current Ebola outbreak is going on its fourth month, totaling 300 cases and 186 deaths as of November 4th.

The problems with containment of this particular Ebola outbreak stem from the fact that the disease is spreading in an active war zone with several armed groups attacking health officials, government aids and civilians. Some civilians with Ebola have refused treatment, and health care workers are still being infected. About 60 to 80 percent of new cases do not show an epidemiological link to prior cases.

The daily rate of new Ebola cases had more than doubled in early October. In addition, there is community resistance and a deep mistrust of the government as the raging outbreak continues to spread through an active war zone. The World Health Organization (WHO), CDC and other international health organizations say they are worried about the current Ebola outbreak spreading to port cities like Butembo, which will only exacerbate infection transmission rates.

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...nable_11082018

Well, that's not good.

A Nuke would help.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

From orbit.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

Just to be sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Satanta View Post
    A Nuke would help.
    Sadly probably not at this stage, the virus is probably already spread farther than a nuke would destroy.

My thoughts were:

Immediate travel restrictions and mandatory quarantine of ANYONE coming out of the area to be reviewed and updated weekly and enforced at least in North America and Europe.

With a proper quarantine, this would mean say the US or Italian Aid Workers, UN Peace Keepers etc could come home but only if they spend two weeks (or whatever time needed) in a pleasant but tight quarantine.

Area of restrictions could be greatly expanded if the disease continues to spread.

Sadly we all know these common-sense precautions are not likely to happen, at least not now when they might actually have a chance of working because of the high costs both of providing quarantine areas, cat-fights over who pays for what services, and the effects on business, trade, and tourism.

You would think the West would have learned from the last time with guys sitting in waiting rooms spreading it around and hospitals just deciding on their own that "level 4" simply wasn't needed because it was just too expensive (and besides few hospitals can really do it even for one patient much less say for ten or fifteen).

Volunteers (willing to accept the risk and quarantine) could medivac out people who get stuck but otherwise travel to the area is a no-go.

I just finished re-reading a distant mirror about the 14th-century epidemics and a few places with very harsh quarantines actually did mostly make it through the first two waves of the disease.

I've noticed during the last several scares that Americans and Europeans tend to panic on the local level but on the macro level their governments don't really do much until it is too late; then the response is all over the map (like killing that poor women's dog even though doctors said there was no danger and that putting it quarantine would have been sufficient).
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

My thoughts are, plan as much as you want, it will not matter when there are groups actively subverting those measures for their agenda(21)
    Would someone please let me know how we have spun out of control?
    Has the captain let go of the wheel?
    Or could we please try to find a way to be a bit more kind?
    I see the road to tomorrow in the haze - Queensryche

A tragedy, but Africa in general is probably near or at population max already. This may help ease resource crunch.
    E Deploribus Unum

Oderint dum metuant

Every day is a JDAM day

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    Sadly probably not at this stage, the virus is probably already spread farther than a nuke would destroy.....

My thoughts were:

Immediate travel restrictions and mandatory quarantine of ANYONE coming out of the area to be reviewed and updated weekly and enforced at least in North America and Europe.

With a proper quarantine, this would mean say the US or Italian Aid Workers, UN Peace Keepers etc could come home but only if they spend two weeks (or whatever time needed) in a pleasant but tight quarantine.

Area of restrictions could be greatly expanded if the disease continues to spread.

Sadly we all know these common-sense precautions are not likely to happen, at least not now when they might actually have a chance of working because of the high costs both of providing quarantine areas, cat-fights over who pays for what services, and the effects on business, trade, and tourism.
    Not happening.

A quarantine will not happen until bodies are piled like cord wood around Capitol Hill and gated California and Cape Cod communities and compounds. A quarantine would force the progressive left to admit President Trump's legal immigration polices have reason, value and justifiable purpose in being. Self preservation is not enough justifiable reason for progressives.

Some of the flights from that area of the world hit ground at Dulles. The irony would be if a progressive liberal using the airport were to carry it to Capitol Hill.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

There is no use in trying as most of the country is living with one foot firmly planted in the stone age with old beliefs to go with that.

I wonder how long it will take for an Ebola Bugchaser to show up and spread it.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    There is no use in trying as most of the country is living with one foot firmly planted in the stone age with old beliefs to go with that.
    Publius you might be surprised. They have had to live with and thru several outbreaks. They know much more about it then your average liberal progressive. They know it's communicable and that it can kill them.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Old Gray Mare View Post
    They know it's communicable and that it can kill them.
    The know that about AIDS too, but I understand one of the accepted cures for AIDS is to rape a virgin. That mentality might be immune to more rational approaches.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Gray Mare View Post
    Not happening.

A quarantine will not happen until bodies are piled like cord wood around Capitol Hill and gated California and Cape Cod communities and compounds. A quarantine would force the progressive left to admit President Trump's legal immigration polices have reason, value and justifiable purpose in being. Self preservation is not enough justifiable reason for progressives.

Some of the flights from that area of the world hit ground at Dulles. The irony would be if a progressive liberal using the airport were to carry it to Capitol Hill.
    I believe that Melody was NOT speaking about CONUS but rather quarantine in the directly affected areas of the Congo.

just sayin...
    "Talking is easy and everyone is wise after the event."

Ernest Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sunday View Post
    I believe that Melody was NOT speaking about CONUS but rather quarantine in the directly affected areas of the Congo.

just sayin...
    Point taken. Even so it is only a plane ride away.

Per Aesop (this IS his Wheelhouse):

http://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/...2-0-today.html

First jettisoning Sessions, and unfortunately now, this little happy report.
    From a tip in Comments (thanks, A Texan):
    (WaPoo) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield said Monday that the Ebola outbreak in conflict-ridden Congo has become so serious that international public health experts need to consider the possibility that it cannot be brought under control and instead will become entrenched.
    If that happened, it would be the first time since the deadly viral disease was first identified in 1976 that an Ebola outbreak led to the persistent presence of the disease. In all previous outbreaks, most of which took place in remote areas, the disease was contained before it spread widely. The current outbreak is entering its fourth month, with nearly 300 cases, including 186 deaths.
    If Ebola becomes endemic in substantial areas of North Kivu province, in northeastern Congo, “this will mean that we’ve lost the ability to trace contacts, stop transmission chains and contain the outbreak,” said Tom Inglesby, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, which hosted the briefing on Capitol Hill that featured the Ebola discussion with Redfield.
    In that scenario, there would be a sustained and unpredictable spread of the deadly virus, with major implications for travel and trade, he said, noting that there are 6 million people in North Kivu. By comparison, the entire population of Liberia, one of the hardest-hit countries during the West Africa Ebola epidemic of 2014-2016, is about 4.8 million.
    The outbreak is taking place in a part of Congo that is an active war zone. Dozens of armed militias operate in the area, attacking government outposts and civilians, complicating the work of Ebola response teams and putting their security at risk. Violence has escalated in recent weeks, severely hampering the response. The daily rate of new Ebola cases more than doubled in early October. In addition, there is community resistance and deep mistrust of the government.
    Some sick people have refused to go to treatment centers, health-care workers are still being infected, and some people are dying of Ebola or spreading the virus to new areas. An estimated 60 to 80 percent of new confirmed cases have no known epidemiological link to prior cases, making it very difficult for responders to track cases and stop transmission. In late August, the United States withdrew some of the CDC’s most seasoned Ebola experts who had been stationed in Beni, the province’s urban epicenter, because of security risks.
    Hate to say "I told you so", but...

We continue to pay periodic attention to this, but with this announcement, they're laying the groundwork for when this metastasizes to the next level, gets to a major population center, and then jumps an international flight, and it becomes 2014 all over again.

And if you're playing the home game, we're currently at Level 8 (moving to 9) out of 34 on the Global Apocalypse Scale. Small potatoes, IOW. Until it's not.
    Logarithmic growth will sneak up on you that way.

Posted by Aesop at 1:51 PM
    Labels: Ebola

9 comments:

The Gray Man said...
    I would like my ER manager to read this but there is zero chance of anything coming of it. More likely, my best course of action is to figure out who I have to talk to in my town of 300 people about forming guard teams and practicing road checkpoints on the four roads leading into town, and also training them on how to spot possible infections.
    November 7, 2018 at 2:25 PM

parascribe said...
    I am an ED manager and read it. I had a discussion with my director the other day, she wasn't even aware there was an active outbreak. I remember all the prep we did in 2014, spent lots of money on equipment and training. Consensus was, if it came to us we were screwed. I believe that even more now.
    November 7, 2018 at 2:35 PM

Cederq said...
    ER/ED Managers, Other Dept. Managers and all of upper level Admin are notorious for being slack jaw mouth breathers. They stick their head's in the sand and won't listen to front line Nurses and Techs, or become aware things like Ebola are coming. My experience is most hospital infection control are worthless. Glad I got out of nursing when I did.
    November 7, 2018 at 3:25 PM

The Freeholder said...
    I've long said that one day, Mother Nature was going to get tired of so many of us hanging around. That day may be closer than we think unless someone pulls a vaccine out of their derriere.
    November 7, 2018 at 4:31 PM

Aesop said...
    Unlike 2014, we have an experimental vaccine that seems safe and effective.

But you can't give the shots when people with a pre-literate worldview think it's black magic witchcraft to poison them, and armed thugs run the countryside.
    November 7, 2018 at 6:17 PM

Anonymous said...
    Thank you for the update.

I have not seen any of this in the news. I do not think I will until it kills a dozen in a major African City, or the Mainstream Media find their photogenic victim, likely a young caring blonde nurse from Europe or the Americas.
    November 7, 2018 at 10:49 PM

Joe Mama said...
    I hope Pharma is looking around and figuring out how to crank out the vaccine by the hundreds of millions of doses.

Having a vaccine does not do you much good if you cannot identify and contain the patients AND have enough vaccine to build a wall around them. Or, if you cannot contain the patients, to mass vaccinate everybody on the continent who wants to live.
    November 8, 2018 at 3:37 AM

Anonymous said...
    Since Vodoo and black magic aren’t getting the job done, perhaps extreme heat and some radiation via a low altitude thermonuclear device would solve the problem for the foreseeable future. Just spit balling an alternate path, and it should make for some impressive TV coverage as well, the win factor would increase exponentially as well if the media where staged perhaps just a tad to close to the action.
    Just saying
    November 8, 2018 at 7:06 AM

A Texan said...
    "...and it should make for some impressive TV coverage as well, the win factor would increase exponentially as well if the media where staged perhaps just a tad to close to the action."
    ----------------
    I hear that Jim Acosta is looking for a new assignment....
    November 8, 2018 at 2:02 PM
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

BTT !
    Somewhere in the clouds, Your peak is shining, Have courage and go
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_cqbxF0cg

Fear mongering when they use words such as: could be, maybe, may not, possibly, etc.
    I've stopped listening when people use words like this. Give me black or white, not gray.
    "You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end – which you can never afford to lose – with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be." — VADM James Stockdale, USN (1923-2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sunday View Post

just sayin...
    Yes, I was, the quarantine would be of people coming from that area when they got to the US/Europe - if they are allowed to travel out at all (US citizens, Service people etc). The area itself (in Africa) would be under quarantine.

Sorry very distracted by the fire in Paradise.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

In previous incremental posts, Aesop has referred to 2014. *I* remember how *I* felt flying into and out of Dallas that 2 week period just BEFORE it got damn sporty down there.

I remember watching people who were imported and ALLEGEDLY KNEW BETTER doing a LOT to spread the virus. SUPPOSEDLY they were decontaminating the apartments etc and yet they weren't making things better.

RELIC and I remember discussing what they (the Amorphous-all-powerful "THEY" were going to do in Cleveland as we watched a hospital collapse in on itself and CLOSE more than 500 beds because they were NOT adhering to the proper containment level (through no fault of the CARE PERSONNEL (with one idiot exception [who I would have quite cheerfully shot from a reasonable distance through a heavy piece of ----oh ---say---10 or 15 mil plastic while wearing a L 4 MOPP suit]). The ADMIN Team at that hospital was, like a LOT of admin teams. clueless in ref on-the-ground-issues.

Because we know too many of the players (and 'playas") here in CLE we figured out what we would expect to see happen. And, when we asked some of the folks we knew. The answers weren't surprising. "Firetrucked" basically.

I'm not looking forward to this late winter, health-wise.

Sooner than later, SOMEONE is going to hop a plane out of an UNSUSPECTEDLY INFECTED city and we WILL be of to the 2014 races, knowing and doing less, and worse prepared than we were 4 years ago, because, tat was all FOUR WHOLE YEARS AGO, and the science has matured now.

(Insert 1918 faith in how SCIENCE ahs gotten so advanced NOTHING like a little la grippe is going to hurt us! It CAN'T!!) Tell it to several hundred million relatives who lost family.

The above analysis by Aesop is HIGHLY UN GOOD!!!!
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny225 View Post
    Give me black or white, not gray.
    There's mostly gray in the world, and very little black or white.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    Sadly probably not at this stage, the virus is probably already spread farther than a nuke would destroy.
    Carpet nuke it... from orbit!

Shadow
    "18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness… 21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened… 24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts…" Romans 1:18-32

Quote Originally Posted by The Mountain View Post
    A tragedy, but Africa in general is probably near or at population max already. This may help ease resource crunch.
    Shrug. It's Africa.
    Those of us who don't hang around dead bodies won't have much to worry about.
    It is however, a good excuse to keep ALL African migrants out of the US and Europe.

Maybe Europe can finally remember what was traditionally done with unwanted invaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    I wonder how long it will take for an Ebola Bugchaser to show up and spread it.
    That is not a good thought because it is really a possibility. When AIDS gets boring, Ebola would be the next logical step.

Factor in the jihadi joes doing it to wage bio-war on the great satan at our borders, perhaps? Antifa? Always wargame worst case- but you all know that already.

For now, it is on another Continent. For now. Slam those borders shut.
    No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson

Mo is my One.

Whatever happens, keep the CDC out of it.....given there track record in mehhhico. They are the problem, deep state operatives, globalists.

Quote Originally Posted by Ractivist View Post
    Whatever happens, keep the CDC out of it.....given there track record in mehhhico. They are the problem, deep state operatives, globalists.
    I know it's been over ten years now since H5N1 first cropped up. The CDC lost a lot of seasoned staff when it did, not to disease but turnover. The staff at the CDC are paid to know how dangerous the bugs are. There comes a time the pay isn't worth it. I wonder what their current turnover rate is?

Ebola-chan will not be stopped.
    Attached Images
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

This fellow from Doctors Without Borders seems pretty concerned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=bdpaoN4M-8U

run time 1:38

fps

I hereby pledge that I will not die from ebola.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

AIDS, Ebola...............crap all starts in Africa.....

..what's that tell you about living in the stone age?

What happens in Africa should stay in Africa...........

Quote Originally Posted by The Mountain View Post
    More accurately Africa is at max for how the place is currently...

Obama is no longer in charge, Housecarl. When Ebola gets going, and when we start to get documented cases from people coming to CONUS from Africa TRUMP WILL SHUT DOWN ACCESS.

The medical truth is Ebola is hard to catch, UNLESS YOU ENGAGE IN BRAIN DEAD BEHAVIOR LIKE WASHING CORPSES, DIGGING UP CORPSES AND TAKING NEAR DEAD PEOPLE OUT OF SO CALLED HOSPITALS.

Yep, Madagascar is suffering from the plague too.
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" is available for sale at the following url
    http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007BRLFYU

Quote Originally Posted by Doomer Doug View Post
    Obama is no longer in charge, Housecarl. When Ebola gets going, and when we start to get documented cases from people coming to CONUS from Africa TRUMP WILL SHUT DOWN ACCESS.

The medical truth is Ebola is hard to catch, UNLESS YOU ENGAGE IN BRAIN DEAD BEHAVIOR LIKE WASHING CORPSES, DIGGING UP CORPSES AND TAKING NEAR DEAD PEOPLE OUT OF SO CALLED HOSPITALS.

Yep, Madagascar is suffering from the plague too.

Don't worry be happy! They got it all under control...
    Attached Images
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

If that's the case than shut down commercial air carries to that area and close off the boarders with troops to isolate as much of the spread as possible.

Huge swaths of these here united states qualify as 3rd world. I dont frequent bad areas and I am amazed by the number of people I see leave the public toilet without hand washing. The lack of basic hygeine coupled with the SSRI, alcohol, opiate addictions of this country and the just plain lack of morals or standards.....i welcome a good and thorough purge. Ebola is like Aids..stay away from shitbirds and dont engage in depraved behavior and you will simply observe as the wicked receive their just reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Doat View Post
    If that's the case than shut down commercial air carries to that area and close off the boarders with troops to isolate as much of the spread as possible.
    Great idea, EXCEPT there are several militaries (albeit revolutionary, etc) INSIDE those borders who would just as soon fight THAT battle as fight their internal battles. And they would DAMN SURE use ebola as a PERFECT weapon on the closure troops.
    These militaries are why most helping entities have or are removing their workers.
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.