Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ALERT Big Fire Here - Paradise, CA Evacuated
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Profit of Doom View Post
    Somehow, the Dems must be behind this.
    NOT FUNNY!

Sister-In-Laws dad's house in central Paradise is gone. Too many friends in Paradise unaccounted for. Brother and SIL in Southeastern Chico, getting ready to evacuate. Smoke looks evil!! SO DAMN EVIL!! BIL is Sheriff's Deputy no idea where he is right now! Hwy99 at Skyway closed for evacuees. This is WAAAAAY too close for comfort. We're just 10-15 miles northwest of fire....CRAP!! Winds picking up. Not good. I was just up in Paradise just yesterday. VERY VERY VERY dry. Heard on the local TV news that spot fires are starting all over Paradise from the hot embers and ash.

This fire has gone from starting around 0630 this morning to right now being reported at 18,000 acres! Has gone from 1,000 acres to 5,000 to 7,000 acres and now headed to 20,000 acres!! It's consuming 80 acres per minute!! HOLY COW! THIS IS INSANE!!
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

“The quieter you become, the more you can hear.”
    ― Ram Dass

People being reportedly trapped in town waiting to be evacuated!! Hospital on fire and they're still trying to evacuate patients. This is crazy.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

Latest: 1290 KPAY. Hwy 99 closed to Northbound from Skyway in both directions. All traffic heading west to 99 will be directed to use the 4 lane Hwy to head South towards Gridley/Sacramento. Fire is now at 18,000 acres. Wind is shifting and the fire is going in all different directions. Cherokee, Concow, Magalia, Kimshew, Paradise, is all mandatory evacuation. I said this before, if it takes hold in Paradise, the whole town will go. Neal Road is also closed. Those heading North towards Redding can use 162 to cross over and hit I-5. School children from Paradise have been evacuated to the Mormon Church in Chico. Nazarene Church in Oroville is accepting evacuees as well as the Nazerene and Neighborhood Church in Chico. Large animals are accepted at the Butte County Fairgrounds, Gridley.

I see huge plumes to the north of me and very windy out. One good thing going for Chico, once the fire burns through Paradise which is a disaster, it will hit the canyon rim which is steep rocky volcanic terrain. The fire will burn out. This is the area where people drive off the cliff and commit suicide (The Overlook). Just passed some dozers heading to the fire, a spotter plane, and Newsome just declared a State of Emergency for Butte County.

More info as I get it. Fire is at 18,000 acres and growing fast. I have my scanner on....Only way to evacuate from Magalia is through Butte Meadows. It's a narrow winding road. Looting already going on. Black pickup truck with red lights on the truck - looting homes. So, it's begun...bastards!
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

My heart breaks for all involved. This thread is getting very hard to read.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    People being reportedly trapped in town waiting to be evacuated!! Hospital on fire and they're still trying to evacuate patients. This is crazy.
    Holy Shit! That is devastating! Best hospital in the area! I was just there last Sunday....
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

There's lots of homes surrounding the hospital. Trailer parks are every where in Paradise. Lots of pine trees, it will be like a fire tornado/hurricane going through there. Power lines being reported down on the scanner near the Paradise airport. This is a small airport, but in a hilly heavily wooded terrain. It's off Clark Rd. Butte College is where the staging area is for fire dept and is located on Clark Rd. I can see the fire sweeping through there.

More info on Facebook. People missing, dogs missing, disabled man who can't move.

https://www.facebook.com/CALFIREButteCo/

about an hour ago

Live coverage: https://krcrtv.com/watch

https://krcrtv.com/news/butte-county..._64jWfdftDDcsM
    Attached Images
    Last edited by marsh; 11-08-2018 at 06:48 PM.
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Facebook - Oroville Live Lots of power lines are down, PG&E trying to clear the roadways and fallen lines.

https://www.facebook.com/OrovilleNew...8927657696971/

James Woods (actor) will retweet to his followers missing people info.

James Woods @RealJamesWoods #CampFireJamesWoods

Press conference, some fatalities reported but not yet confirmed https://www.actionnewsnow.com/
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by elleyshay View Post
    James Woods (actor) will retweet to his followers missing people info.

James Woods @RealJamesWoods #CampFireJamesWoods
    Some people are reported missing. Found 3 cars burned with people in them. Per scanner. Hospital is gone.

OMG...how terrible. Thanks for all the updates. Praying for all in the area.

Praying for that area, holy moly!
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Very sad news Bardou. Thank you for the update. Praying for all in harms way.

HI Bardou - we are about 100 mile south/west of you, and we have lots of smoke in our area. Wow, can't believe the hospital is gone - so sad. Your area is all over
    our tv's news - about the fire. Stay safe!
    "I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth." (Psalm 34:1)

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Praying for that area, holy moly!
    Ditto! Prayer up!
    Psalm 16:11 (NKJV) You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Dear Lord PLEASE help these people !!! The loss of Your home is bad enough but the lives lost and the terror of being in this is just too much to even imagine. God Bless you all Praying for you all
    I've got my duck taped now what???
    God Bless
    MawMaw

Now that it's dark out, as I look north out of my window, I can see red flames. Earlier today I couldn't. That means that the fire is heading our way. We still have the lake in our way and the Feather River. It would have to come over Table Mountain which is steep rocky terrain. Thankful Lake Oroville is protecting us but will probably wipe out Cherokee and Yankee Hill, heading towards Berry Creek. I heard on the scanner about 30 minutes ago that they were making progress on Skyway. Listening to the scanner there's people with no transportation to get out up in Magalia. At a Subway store they picked up a woman who was pregnant with 3 kids. Buses are headed to K-Mart in Paradise to pick up people who have no transportation.

Humidity is 16% - and 64 degrees. Low humidity means hotter fire, it's bone dry out. It's going to be a long night for the fire fighters.

A genuinely horrifying situation - prayers for all involved.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Adding our prayers for everyone in harm's way with these fires.

Quote Originally Posted by LeafyForest View Post
    HI Bardou - we are about 100 mile south/west of you, and we have lots of smoke in our area. Wow, can't believe the hospital is gone - so sad. Your area is all over
    our tv's news - about the fire. Stay safe!
    My daughter lives in Ukiah, she sent us pictures of the smoke at her house. The sky was orange. I can see that as the wind is blowing from the north to west. It's like a big bowl of clear air and around it is black smoke. I hope the wind shifts and comes out of the south pushing the fire and smoke back towards Paradise.

Just heard family trapped on Neal Road. House burned down. This is devastating. On Facebook (live link an hour ago), woman said that many houses are gone. A Mormon church has burned, Black Bear Diner, McDonalds, and Feather River Hospital. I can see lots of fatalities from this fire. There's lots of elderly people living in Paradise, hearing many of them need rescuing - mobility problems. Heard poles down on Pentz Rd.

https://www.actionnewsnow.com/conten...500045591.html
    UPDATE 5:43 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018 - Cal Fire has confirmed that three firefighters have been injured in the Camp Fire.

The status of their injuries is unknown at this time. We will update you with the information as it becomes available.

---

UPDATE 5:18 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018 - The Butte County Sheriff's Office released updated information on the Camp Fire following the news briefing at 4 p.m. today.

The fire has forced around 27,000 people to evacuate and remains at 18,000 acres with no containment.

There have been no confirmed fatalities, but there are investigations underway into reports of fatalities.

There have also been reports that the Feather River Hospital has been destroyed according to John Lord, Associate Director of the Sierra-Sacramento Vally EMS Agency via Mike Mangas of Mercy Medical Center.

“Be advised we have received confirmation from units on the ground in Butte County that Feather River Hospital has been destroyed by fire.”

https://activenorcal.com/hundreds-mi...o-20000-acres/ Hundreds Missing and Structures Destroyed as Camp Fire Rages to 20,000 Acres : videos, missing people, photos, messages

Safeandwell.org is the place to track people that are in the line of fire and register so that others know you're safe and loved ones can find you.

Poignant photos of the hospital https://twitter.com/RyanSabalow/stat...20000-acres%2F

https://www.facebook.com/BrianSchnee...6667673874099/ 50 sec woman driving through flames Camp Fire

https://www.facebook.com/paradiseca/...4074941327881/ In traffic in flames 26 sec

Oakland Firefighters Strike Team photo of McDonalds in Paradise
    Attached Images
    Last edited by marsh; 11-08-2018 at 09:12 PM.
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    Now that it's dark out, as I look north out of my window, I can see red flames. Earlier today I couldn't. That means that the fire is heading our way. We still have the lake in our way and the Feather River. It would have to come over Table Mountain which is steep rocky terrain. Thankful Lake Oroville is protecting us but will probably wipe out Cherokee and Yankee Hill, heading towards Berry Creek. I heard on the scanner about 30 minutes ago that they were making progress on Skyway. Listening to the scanner there's people with no transportation to get out up in Magalia. At a Subway store they picked up a woman who was pregnant with 3 kids. Buses are headed to K-Mart in Paradise to pick up people who have no transportation.

Humidity is 16% - and 64 degrees. Low humidity means hotter fire, it's bone dry out. It's going to be a long night for the fire fighters.
    Prayers for you and everyone in the path of this fire, Bardou.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-309670005
    Audio Bhagavad Gita downloadable

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Praying
    Maranatha!!

absolutely horrifying, the speed of this one. as soon as i heard forecast for Santa Ana winds chills went thru me. prayers sent.

Satellite image of smoke from the Camp fire
    Attached Images

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-c...108-story.html

'Mass devastation' as fire destroys at least 1,000 structures in Northern California town of Paradise

By PAIGE ST. JOHN , ANNA M. PHILLIPS and ALENE TCHEKMEDYIAN
    NOV 08, 2018 | 6:20 PM
    | OROVILLE, CALIF.

In what officials described as “mass devastation,” at least 1,000 structures were lost Thursday when a fire swept through the Northern California town of Paradise, forcing residents to run for their lives.

The Butte County fire exploded from 10 acres to more than 10,000 acres in a matter of hours, taking direct aim at the town of 27,000 known as a popular retirement community.

“It has destroyed the town,” said Scott McLean, a Cal Fire spokesman.

As people raced to safety, roads became choked with traffic, forcing some to flee on foot as the fire engulfed nearby homes and buildings. One hospital was evacuated — its patients were taken to nearby medical facilities — and parts of its campus were damaged by the flames.

Named the Camp fire because it began near Camp Creek Road in Butte County, the blaze was first reported around 6:30 a.m., according to a spokesman with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. By midday, the fire had burned 18,000 acres and smoke had blanketed the town in darkness.

“It’s been nighttime for the last six hours, the smoke has come down so low and so heavy,” McLean said.

At a Red Cross shelter in Oroville, two women described their harrowing escape from a burning mobile home park in Paradise. Soon after, the trauma hit Patsy Jacobs, 62, and she began to sob.

“It’s all right,” said her neighbor, Jane Palmer, 77. “We’re alive.”

The rapid spread of the blaze spurred acting California Gov. Gavin Newsom — who is filling in while Gov. Jerry Brown is out of state — to declare a state of emergency for Butte County. Hours after the Camp fire began, the same gusty winds caused another wildfire to erupt in Southern California, threatening homes in Ventura County.

In Butte County, residents in several towns hugging California 70 near the Plumas National Forest were ordered to evacuate and the highway was closed. In addition to Paradise, people in Concow, Pulga, Magalia, Butte Creek Canyon and Butte Valley were told to leave their homes, according to the Butte County Sheriff’s Office. Butte College was closed and turned into a command center for firefighters and other emergency workers.

Multiple evacuation centers were opened in churches and on fairgrounds in nearby towns.

Thousands of motorists spilled onto local roadways, following recently redesigned evacuation routes intended to make it easier for them to escape. Yet many wound up sitting in gridlock.

“I saw a steady line of cars, bumper to bumper, trying to get out of Paradise,” said Shaaron Vogel, 67, a member of the nursing faculty at Butte College. “Watching the drivers that were trying to get away was horrifying because you could see their faces and how scared they were. It really brings it home how many lives it’s affected. And so fast.”

On social media, people trying to evacuate described being stuck in their cars, watching as nearby homes burned. The sky turned black with ash and smoke. Some abandoned their vehicles, creating yet another obstacle for those attempting to escape. Firetrucks and bulldozers had to be brought in to clear away the driver-less cars.

Gilbert and Susanne Orr, who fled their home in Concow for the safety of a Red Cross shelter in Oroville, said they ended up sitting in stop-and-start traffic as sparks from the fire blew across their car. To make the situation worse, the driver’s-side window on their Trans Am wouldn’t close.

“It was burning on both sides of the road, and the wind was blowing and it’s just blowing right across the car,” said Susanne, 68.

“We couldn't get the people to move,” said Gilbert, 71. “We were so scared. Everybody was so scared.”

The couple’s home survived a forest fire in 2008, but they said they don’t think it will survive this one. By the time they left, taking little else with them except a young hound dog named Duke, there were flames by their woodshed and their pasture was ablaze.

Kim Benn, 49, said she was so certain that she was going to die, trapped in her car with flames on both sides while trying to get out of Paradise, that she called her mother to say goodbye.

The fire had caught her by surprise. It was miles away — at least according to the TV news — when what sounded like rain hitting the roof caused her to look outside. Chunks of burned wood, still smoking, were falling from the sky. Ten minutes later, a neighbor banged on her door, yelling that it was time to leave. She grabbed her cats and began to drive out through thickening smoke.

Officials in Butte County said the growing fire posed a serious threat. Although there were reports of destroyed homes and buildings, authorities said it was too early to begin to tally the losses. Nor could they confirm the stories of injuries and fatalities that began to emerge as the day wore on.

“It’s bad,” Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea told the Chico Enterprise-Record. “We’re trying to get as many people out as quickly as possible and save as many lives as we can.”

Greg Rader, 55, who sought shelter in Oroville, said he met a woman there whose husband and 29-year-old son had died in the fire. Rader said that his own house was gone and that he’d had no opportunity to take anything, not even his four cats. “It was either leave now, or not be able to leave,” he said.

“I’ve been in Paradise since 2005, and we’ve had fires every year, but I’ve never seen a fire like this,” he said. “Anywhere. Ever.”

Firefighters have had a difficult time with the dynamic and fast-moving blaze, Cal Fire spokesman Rick Carhart said.

“There’s a pretty good wind on the fire, and it’s in an area where access is extremely difficult,” he said.

The fire cut off power to roughly 34,000 customers in Butte and Plumas counties, according to a spokesman for Pacific Gas & Electric Co. The company had notified thousands of customers Wednesday that it was considering shutting off power in eight counties in Northern California as a safety measure in preparation for a forecast of high winds and low humidity — a recipe for extreme fire danger. But a spokesman said PG&E has not taken this step yet.

The utility did shut off natural gas lines to 12,000 customers in Paradise, officials said.

Air quality officials warned residents in the Bay Area they would probably see and smell smoke from the fire that was burning far to the northeast.

The National Weather Service issued red-flag warnings for fire danger in many areas of the state, saying low humidity and strong winds were expected to continue through Friday evening.

6:20 p.m.: This article was updated with more information from Cal Fire and evacuees.

5:15 p.m.: This article was updated with information about structures destroyed.

4:20 p.m.: This article was updated throughout with additional reporting and comments from residents.

12:55 p.m.: This article was updated with new acreage numbers and details about power outages.

11:45 a.m.: This article was updated with additional information about the fire.

11 a.m.: This article was updated with evacuation centers opening and a comment from the California Highway Patrol.

10:20 a.m.: This article was updated with additional evacuation details.

This article was originally published at 9:45 a.m.

Here's a satellite image with MODIS:
    Attached Images

I just now looked north and it's coming over the ridge, the whole ridge is on fire. My friend who works at Feather River Hospital is an X-ray tech. His wife just had a baby, and now he's unemployed. Fire is so destructive, you lose everything. We've had fires here that came close to us, but it's not highly populated, mostly large ranches with homes. Firefighters protected wood frame homes and let the mobiles burn. Lots of pot farms were burned up. When I posted about this fire this morning, I knew that it was going to be devastating. The fact is quite a shock to me - a whole town burned down. How did this happen? It's a hard thing to digest. I appreciate everyone's thoughtfulness. Thankful that we have the air tankers at Chico Airport, and a fleet at Grass Valley, but we are stretched thin here. The terrain here is more rugged than other fires in California like Redding and the Ranch fire near Ukiah this year. I look at Paradise and there's nothing stopping fire from devastating our home here and others around us. We've done everything possible to have a fire break around our house. People around us have had their homeowners insurance cancelled because we're in a fire zone. This is hitting really close to home and the damage is beyond comprehension. No wine tonight, I gotta keep my wits about me.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh View Post
    Satellite image of smoke from the Camp fire
    Thanks for posting that...we are in Santa Cruz County in CA and on the way home I thought that there was a fire close to our home! We watched the news and the weather lady said that the smoke was blowing down from the Camp Fire. If you look at the smoke it kind of forms a "C" and we are near the bottom part of the "C". We have cousins in Paradise and I'm getting ready to call them...but we only have their home phone.

It is 3 am here and I have to go to bed. I will check the news in the morning; no further word on the other people I met from the town when I was visiting, but one man was in his late 80's/early 90's.

One of my real fears is that a lot of people simply could not "walk out," my friend that evacuated is the choral director for a small singing group (mostly older folks) who perform at community events but mostly at nursing homes; I got to go to several of their productions when I was visiting and noticed not only was a lot of the town older than usual but there were an unusually large number of care homes for the size of the town.

I described Paradise to my husband as "one of God's Waiting Rooms" when I got home, which now doesn't sound nearly so funny as it did four years ago.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Just called the cousins and got a weird screeching noise and then a busy signal. Tried it twice. It didn't sound good....

Quote Originally Posted by Leela View Post
    Just called the cousins and got a weird screeching noise and then a busy signal. Tried it twice. It didn't sound good....
    Paradise is no longer.

Camp Fire Rages In Butte County, Prompts Evacuations
    Acting Gov. Gavin Newsom issued an emergency proclamation for Butte County due to the blaze, which has scorched 18,000 acres.
    By Kristina Houck, Patch Staff | Nov 8, 2018 12:36 pm ET | Updated Nov 8, 2018 9:35 pm ET

BUTTE COUNTY, CA – A rapidly-spreading wildfire sparked Thursday in Butte County that scorched thousands of acres, prompted evacuation orders and sent smoke over Northern California.

The blaze, called the Camp Fire, broke out around 6:30 a.m. off Camp Creek and Pulga roads near Highway 70 in the Feather River Canyon, near the town of Paradise, according to Cal Fire. By Thursday afternoon, the fire had burned 18,000 acres and was 0 percent contained.

Acting Gov. Gavin Newsom issued an emergency proclamation for Butte County due to the blaze, which had destroyed an unknown number of homes and threatened critical infrastructure. Firefighters from Cal Fire, the U.S. Forest Service and other agencies across the state assisted in the firefighting efforts.

Authorities issued evacuation orders for Paradise, Magalia, Concow, Butte Creek Canyon and Butte Valley. (See the full list of evacuation orders and warnings below. Click here for a map of the evacuation zones.)

Adventist Health Feather River Medical Center and the Adventist Health Feather River clinics in Paradise were closed early Thursday due to the fire. Patients were transported to Oroville Hospital in Oroville and Enloe Medical Center in Chico, according to the medical center.

Cal Fire Deputy Chief Scott McClean said the fire has grown with so much intensity it has burned from Magalia on the northern end through the south end of town.

Adventist Health Feather River Medical Center and several structures around it have sparked on fire. Several people have been hospitalized. Buses are carting people off the hill.

McClean is very concerned about the predominant elderly population in the region, wondering if they could get out in time.

"It's gone," McClean said, referring to Paradise, while sounding choked up as he filled his vehicle with gas. "You've got to keep this in mind, this fire was pushed by winds. This is as horrific as it can be."

He explained how the fire burned too fast, too hot. Much of that fire intensity is also from the terrain.

The Feather River Canyon is steep in many places as much as 40 degrees. It's filled with manzanita and madrone, which ignites with a fury. Fire burns faster up hill – right into the town of Paradise.

On Wednesday, Pacific Gas and Electric Company advised Butte County residents that a power shutoff was possible due to fire risks in the area. Other counties advised of the possible cut off included Lake, Napa, Sonoma, Plumas, Yuba, Sierra, Placer and Nevada, officials said.

Chico resident Steve Matthews, who works at AAA in town, said the sky turned dark with an "orange, dirty haze."

"It's funny. We just got the notice this morning that PG&E was planning to cut power this morning," Matthews said Thursday. "And now the sky is getting worse."

He added that it felt like the wind was moving in a westerly direction.

Cleo Reed, who lives in Paradise, knew it was time to leave when the authorities knocked on her door and it was so black she couldn't see outside.

"It looks like Armageddon, and I'm in Chico now," Reed said.

She was packed in 10 minutes, grabbing her dog, his food, pictures and files. Fortunately, she just returned from a trip and had a duffel bag within reach.

The California Office of Emergency Services secured a fire management assistance grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to essentially throw all possible resources at the Camp Fire.

Wind and smoke were the biggest hindrances.

"We can't use air tankers because the winds are too high and the smoke is too thick, but hopefully when this wind dies down, we'll be able to," Cal OES spokesman Kelly Huston said.

As of Thursday afternoon, fire and emergency agencies were unable to tell the number of homes that had been lost in the blaze.

"There could be dozens if not hundreds of homes lost," Huston said. "Right now the real focus is on saving lives."

Caltrans hoped to contribute to that mission.

The transportation agency closed the major highways in the region because of "zero visibility" in the area, a district spokeswoman said.

Highway 70 in Butte and Plumas counties was closed from the Highway 149 junction to state Route 89, according to Caltrans. The highway was also closed from Highway 32 to the Highway 149 junction.

Southbound Highway 99 was closed from the Highway 32 junction to the Highway 149 junction.

"Caltrans District 3 and 2 are monitoring the fire closely [and] are ready to assist emergency personnel with road closures as needed," District 3 Director Amarjeet Benipal said. "Our thoughts are with the communities that are affected by the fire."

Weather officials issued a red flag warning for the region due to strong winds and low humidity. The warning is in effect until 7 a.m. Friday.

Smoke from the fire spread across Northern California, prompting the Bay Area Air Quality Management District to issue an air quality advisory for the San Francisco Bay Area through Friday.

https://patch.com/california/concord...campaign=alert

https://www.kron4.com/news/californi...4JhzQYT6nnhLsE

Butte County wildfire growing at rate of about 80 football fields per minute

(CNN) -- A wildfire is hopscotching across a northern California county at a rate of roughly 80 football fields per minute, forcing evacuations, injuring residents and sending families racing from their homes.

A state of emergency has been declared for Butte County due to the effects of the Camp Fire, which began around 6:30 a.m. Thursday and quickly spread, said the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, known as Cal Fire. By 2:00 p.m. local time, it had grown to 18,000 acres, according to Cal Fire.

Fueled by winds, the wildfire jumped ridges from Pulga to Concow and down into Paradise, a town of 26,000 people about 85 miles north of Sacramento. Residents awoke to the stench of smoke and the morning horizon drenched in an ashen-orange pallor that was difficult to see or drive through, hindering evacuations.

By 8 a.m. Thursday morning, Paradise resident Tanah Clunies-Ross said she could not see her car from her front door through the cloud of smoke. A fire had broken out in her yard, blocking the path to her car. She feared for her life until a man she didn't know came to her rescue and put it out with a hose.

"Had he not put out that fire, I would not have made it to the car," she said.

Morgan Mason said her father told her that he could hear propane tanks blowing up all over Paradise this morning. "This does not look good at all," Mason said on Twitter. "Please keep Paradise and all the first responders in your prayers."

Evacuation orders are in place for Paradise, Magalia, Concow, Butte Creek Canyon and Butte Valley while hundreds of firefighters battle the blaze.

Jillian Smalley escaped Paradise with moments to spare as flames consumed everything in sight.

Cinders crawled along the ground and up trees as she fled with her mother and grandmother. The smoke was so thick, she said, it was like she was driving at night. En route to her sister's house in Chico, she told CNN she didn't have high hopes that her home survived.

"It's probably gone already. It can't be there anymore."

The fire forced the evacuation of patients from Paradise's main hospital to hospitals in Oroville and Chico. About 3,300 students and staff members from Paradise's 11 schools were evacuated in buses and employees' cars to a center in Chico, Butte County Schools Superintendent Tim Taylor said.

The Concow School sent its 60 students home, but many faculty members are worried about their homes, said Golden Feather Union Elementary School District Superintendent Josh Peete.

"By the time we got out, the flames were a half mile away from the school. We tried to get all the nondigital things that we could -- you know, stuff that couldn't be replaced," Peete said.

About 500 firefighters are on the ground now, and 100 law enforcement officers are helping them. Capt. John Gaddie said. Cal Fire has put out a call for more firefighters.

Numerous buildings have been destroyed in Paradise and an unspecified number of people injured, Gaddie said. A temporary refuge has been created in a Walgreens to house people until they can leave for a safer area.

Allana Hall said this marks the second time she has fled a California fire. She captured photos of low-hanging black smoke stretching for miles as she and her boyfriend evacuated Paradise.

"We had to drive through flames to make it out safely," she said.

A red flag warning is in effect in the area, meaning Thursday will bring 20-to-40-mph winds and low humidity that threaten to spread the wildfire. Gusts have reached speeds of 65 mph. The warning will remain in effect until Friday morning, officials said.

The chamber of commerce in nearby Chico said The Neighborhood Church was being set up as an evacuation center.

Just got back from evacuating my brothers family and pets, BIL's family and pets and my niece and new hubby and pets are headed to our place north of Chico.

Paradise is GONE!! There will be fatalities in this fire.....lots of dead not being reported. People burned alive in trapped vehicles. News now reporting that a majority of Paradise is gone!

Southern and parts of Eastern Chico are now evacuating.

We have a FULL HOUSE....but everyone is safe. SHIT!! this is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by duchess47 View Post
    James Woods is posting constant info, emergency numbers, etc. on Twitter.
    https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods
    From your link---a short video of what the fire looked like on the ground 4 hours ago:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1060704422580445185
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

https://activenorcal.com/camp-fire-u...34j6oF4LATJ4jc

Camp Fire Update: Up to 1,000 Homes Burned, Multiple Fatalities Confirmed Update 8:30 pm:

The worst fears of the fast-moving Camp Fire in Butte County have been realized, as up to 1,000 homes have burned in Paradise and reports of multiple fatalities have been confirmed by the Butte County Sheriff’s Department

Cal Fire said that the fire sits at 20,000 acres with zero containment as evacuations continue to move down the hill towards Chico. Nearby residents are advised to be prepared to evacuate at any moment.

Butte County Sheriff
    @ButteSheriff
    UPDATE: An evacuation order has been issued for the area of both sides of Oro Chico Highway from Durham Dayton north to Estates Drive. #ButteSheriff #CampFire

7:51 PM - Nov 8, 2018

Many homes and businesses were burned in the flames, with photos emerging online showing the sheer carnage the fire left in its wake. Feather River Hospital was completely evacuated before it burned.