Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

LEGAL Michigan voters legalize recreational marijuana
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Michigan voters legalize recreational marijuana

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...106-story.html

Michigan voters legalize recreational marijuana
    Election Day 2018

Jeff Karoub
    Associated Press
    Michigan voters on Tuesday made their state the first in the Midwest to legalize recreational marijuana, passing a ballot measure that will allow people 21 or older to buy and use the drug and putting conservative neighboring states on notice.

Three other states had marijuana-related measures on their ballots. North Dakota voters decided recreational pot wasn't for them , while voters in Missouri passed one of three unrelated measures to legalize medical marijuana. Utah voters also were considering whether to allow medical marijuana and to join the 31 other states that have already done so.

Including Michigan, 10 states and the District of Columbia have legalized recreational marijuana. And Canada recently did so. But the passage in Michigan gives it a foothold in Middle America and could cause tension with neighboring Indiana and Ohio, which overwhelmingly rejected a 2015 legalization measure.

"Troopers that work along the state line are very cognizant of what's going on up north," said Indiana State Police Sgt. Ron Galaviz, a spokesman for the agency's Fort Wayne Post, which stretches north to the Michigan line.

He said if the referendum passed, "we know some of our citizens are going to go over to Michigan to partake." And those who return either under the influence or in possession of pot may learn the hard way that it remains illegal in Indiana.

"We'll enforce our laws as written," added Galaviz, a Michigan native. "If you're traveling to or through our state, we really don't want you bringing it down here."

Kristin Schrader, 51, a Democrat from Superior Township in Washtenaw County, said she voted to legalize marijuana because she doesn't want people leaving Michigan to get it.

"I've got no attachment to marijuana myself, but I don't care to stand in the way of the train while it's coming down the tracks. I don't want people to go to other states to get it and spend their money somewhere else. If there's going to be an economic benefit to legalize marijuana, I want it to be in Michigan."

The Michigan law will take effect in about a month, as the election first has to be certified by the Board of State Canvassers. Ten days after that certification, people age 21 or older will be allowed to have, use and grow the drug, but the process of establishing regulations for its retail sale could take about two years.

The measure, which was endorsed by a national organization of black-owned businesses and a group of retired Michigan law enforcement officers, will create a state licensing system for marijuana businesses and allow cities and townships to restrict them. Supporters say it will raise roughly $130 million in additional tax revenue each year that will go toward road repairs, schools and local governments. They also say it will allow for greater regulation of pot usage and for the police to focus on more pressing problems.

Opponents, including many law enforcement agencies, prosecutors, chambers of commerce and religious groups, said legalizing marijuana would lead to increased use by children, drug abuse and car crashes. They also said Michigan's proposal would be too permissive by allowing people to have up to 2.5 ounces of the drug on them and up to 10 ounces at home.

Unlike Michigan's measure, North Dakota's rejected measure didn't receive any significant funding from outside groups. It came as the state was still setting up its medical marijuana system, which voters approved by a wide margin two years ago.

In Missouri, voters passed one of three unrelated medical marijuana measures that made it onto the ballot. The constitutional amendment will allow patients with cancer, HIV, epilepsy and other conditions access to the drug.

Voters in Utah also were considering whether to legalize medical marijuana. The Mormon church, which carries outsized influence in the conservative state, had opposed the proposal but recently joined lawmakers and advocates to back a deal that would legalize it in the conservative state. Utah's governor said he would call lawmakers into a special session after the midterm election to pass the deal into law, even if Tuesday's initiative failed.

Associated Press writers Brady McCombs in Salt Lake City, Jim Salter in St. Louis and John Flesher in Traverse City, Michigan, contributed to this report.

https://blog.norml.org/2018/11/06/te...-election-bid/

Texas: Leading Marijuana Prohibitionist Fails In Congressional Re-Election Bid
    by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director
    November 6, 2018
    Comments
    One of Congress’ most powerful and vocal marijuana prohibitionists, Republican Pete Sessions of Texas, failed in his re-election bid for Congress’ 32nd District. Sessions was defeated by Democratic challenger Colin Allred.

Representative Sessions used his position as Chairman of the House Rules Committee to block House floor members from voting on over three-dozen marijuana-related amendments during his leadership tenure. His actions single-handedly killed a number of popular, bipartisan-led reforms — such as facilitating medical cannabis access to military veterans and amending federal banking laws so that licensed marijuana businesses are treated like other legal industries.

“Representative Pete Sessions was the single greatest impediment in the US House to the passage of common-sense, voter-supported marijuana law reform measures,” NORML Political Director Justin Strekal said. “His departure opens the door for the possibility of House lawmakers in 2019 enacting a number of significant, NORML-endorsed policy changes.”

Representative Sessions received an ‘F’ grade in NORML’s latest Congressional Scorecard. By contrast, his Democratic challenger received a B+ grade as a result of his stated support for cannabis decriminalization and medical marijuana access.

Texas’ 32nd Congressional District represents the city of Garland and the northeastern section of Dallas.

https://blog.norml.org/2018/11/07/vo...s-in-missouri/

Voters Approve Amendment 2 Legalizing Medical Marijuana Access in Missouri
    by NORML
    November 7, 2018

With the approval of Amendment 2, Missouri has become the 32nd state to regulate the licensed production and distribution of medical cannabis products to qualified patients.

The amendment was one of three competing ballot measures that seek to regulate medical cannabis use in Missouri. Of the three, NORML only endorsed Amendment 2. That is because we believe that Amendment 2 is written in a manner that best provides for the needs of patients and their physicians.

“This is a patient-centered proposal that puts power in the hands of state-licensed physicians and their patients, not politicians or bureaucrats. Passage of Amendment 2 creates a robust statewide system for production and sale of medical cannabis,” NORML Political Director Justin Strekal said. “Of the three proposals on the ballot, we believed that Amendment 2 was the clear choice for voters, and the voters agreed.”

According to national polling compiled earlier this year by Quinnipiac University, 91 percent of voters nationwide support “allowing adults to legally use marijuana for medical purposes.”

https://blog.norml.org/2018/11/07/vo...ccess-in-utah/

Medical Marijuana Access in Utah
    by Jenn Michelle Pedini, NORML Development Director
    November 7, 2018

With the approval of Proposition 2, Utah has become the 33rd state to regulate the licensed production and distribution of medical cannabis products to qualified patients. The vote comes ahead of a proposed special legislative session of the Utah legislature to address specific rules and regulations governing medical cannabis patient access.

NORML Political Director Justin Strekal said, “It is our hope that Utah’s politicians will respect the will of the electorate and move swiftly to enact The Utah Medical Cannabis Act in a manner that comports with both the spirit of the law and the letter of law.”

Under legislation enacted by the legislature in 2018, only those patients who are terminally ill may potentially access cannabis-infused products. To date, however, such products are not yet legally available.

According to national polling compiled earlier this year by Quinnipiac University, 91 percent of voters nationwide support “allowing adults to legally use marijuana for medical purposes.”

fantastic love it about time.

I don't smoke much any more, but for thoses who do good for them.

It will be nice to have it legal nation wide and do away with the war on drugs that spends billions of tax dollars on it, and has never in 20/30 years even slowed it down.

Not to menction all the lives/familys/peoples jobs that have been ruined because of a joint.

Hell the sentence of jail time for a joint is longer then for many other major crimes.
    JUST A FEW OF MY SIMPLE THOUGHTS
    LAY LOW WAIT LIKE A WOLF IN THE WILD UNTIL THE TIME IS RIGHT
    Never Pick A Fight With An Old Man He Will Just Shoot You He Can't Afford To Get Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by dogmanan View Post
    fantastic love it about time.
    I agree with you that the war on drugs is one huge joke.

The problem, though, with legalizing pot for recreational use is that it will drive the Michigan economy farther down the rabbit hole. There is already a drug problem in many parts of the state, and that -- along with higher than average corporate taxes -- keeps businesses from investing. Thus, many parts of Michigan, like Flint, will remain shells of their former selves.

I grew up there! I'm very sad at what has happened to what was a good state for work and play.

Legalizing marijuana or not makes little difference I don't think. With the Dems controlling the House there is zero chance of any border wall funding. All drugs will continue to pour across our border. With hard drug use really ramping up causing a huge amount of deaths now and that will only increase. While drug deaths and related other problems is a serious issue, I believe it is less of an issue compared to the complete loss of our nation because of all the illegals. Our nation is lost.

Finally we can stop blowing ridiculous wads of money on chasing a couple of potheads around and maybe put that money into the ROADS. Which are still a disaster.

Yeah, we might as well get high. Look what we elected yesterday. Whitmer is going to drain us dry. This is going to be worse than Grandmole.

On the issue of legalization, Republicans need to Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the Way. Maybe with Pete Sessions (R) out of the way, this might happen. At least the Get the Hell out of the Way. They will, one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyGirl View Post
    Yeah, we might as well get high. Look what we elected yesterday. Whitmer is going to drain us dry. This is going to be worse than Grandmole.
    Yeah, I'm definitely not looking to the Whitmer years ahead of us.
    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
    the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission;
    which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
    -Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by IceWave View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely not looking to the Whitmer years ahead of us.

Is she the women muslim that got elected.

I'm on the west side of the state and know nothing about her.
    Never Pick A Fight With An Old Man He Will Just Shoot You He Can't Afford To Get Hurt

Is she the women muslim that got elected.

I'm on the west side of the state and know nothing about her.
    No. She's simply Jennifer Granholm part 2. Never met a tax she doesn't like.
    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
    the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission;
    which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
    -Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by IceWave View Post
    No. She's simply Jennifer Granholm part 2. Never met a tax she doesn't like.
    Remember that the republicans still have the state house, for what that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Txkstew View Post
    On the issue of legalization, Republicans need to Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the Way. Maybe with Pete Sessions (R) out of the way, this might happen. At least the Get the Hell out of the Way. They will, one way or the other.
    that's pretty much it right there.

i really think that the mj issue was a much bigger factor than republicans had thought. i thought they were making a big mistake this election not finally just endorsing legalization. so many people are in favor of it, and if they would have just said they are open to cannabis reform, the red wave everyone was talking about would have crushed the dems into oblivion. they just didn't see it. the dems did. they saw it early and latched on. this is an article from my state. i think it is indicative of the rest of the country.

https://kstp.com/politics/marijuana-...races/5132339/

this is from and email from NORML:

KEY FEDERAL RACES

There were some major changes in the US House of Representatives that bode well for the prospects of future, federal marijuana law reform. Perhaps most importantly, Congress' chief marijuana prohibitionist – Texas Republican Pete Sessions – lost his re-election bid. Representative Sessions used his position as Chairman of the House Rules Committee to block House floor members from voting on over three-dozen marijuana-related amendments during his leadership tenure. His actions single-handedly killed a number of popular, bipartisan-led reforms — such as facilitating medical cannabis access to military veterans and amending federal banking laws so that licensed marijuana businesses are treated like other legal industries.

But, Rep. Sessions is not the only prohibitionist leaving Congress. Virginia Republican Bob Goodlatte – who as House Judiciary Chair failed to call any significant marijuana bills for hearings – has retired and will no longer be in Congress following the conclusion of this term

With Sessions and Goodlatte out of power, it is likely that members of the House will once again weigh in on and pass a number of important legislative reforms in 2019.

In addition to these notable departures, a number of NORML-endorsed Congressional candidates and incumbents won their races – including leading reformers like: Reps. Justin Amash (R-MI), Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI), David Joyce (R-OH), and Barbara Lee (D-CA). Visit NORML Election Central to see the outcomes for races involving all of NORML's 2018 endorsed candidates.

KEY STATE RACES

In four states — Connecticut, Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois — voters elected Governors who openly campaigned on a platform that included legalizing adult marijuana use. In two other states — California and Colorado — voters elected Governors who have a long-history of spearheading legalization reform efforts. And in Maine and in New Mexico, two of the nation's most rabid marijuana prohibitionists, Paul LePage and Susana Martinez, have been replaced by Governors who are open to enacting common-sense cannabis reforms. For a complete run-down of gubernatorial races impacting marijuana policy, please visit the NORML blog.

As a result of this wave of political support, in 2019, NORML anticipates unprecedented legislative activity at the state level in favor of marijuana law reform legislation, and we expect to see several significant legislative victories before the year's end.

LOCAL BALLOT VICTORIES

Voters in Ohio and Wisconsin approved a series of binding and non-binding local marijuana reform initiatives on Election Day.

In Ohio, voters in five cities — including Dayton (population 140,000) — approved municipal ordinances seeking to either eliminate or significantly reduce local fines and penalties associated with marijuana-related offenses. Voters approved similar measures in the communities of Fremont (population 16,000), Norwood (population 20,000), Oregon (population 20,000), and Windham (population, 2,200). And In Wisconsin, voters in sixteen separate counties — including Milwaukee County — approved non-binding ballot questions expressing support for the legalization of cannabis for either medical purposes or for adult use.
    i think the issue was underestimated by the republicans, to their detriment. i know of many people that are pretty middle of the road, lean conservative, but they support legalization. they want less government and more freedoms, which is what the republicans say they are for....except for this issue. they leaned over to the dems because of this.

lead, follow, or get out of the way is exactly it.
    float like a butterfly...

“but the process of establishing regulations for its retail sale could take about two years.” Sounds like Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Doat View Post
    “but the process of establishing regulations for its retail sale could take about two years.” Sounds like Brexit

Who cares about selling it.

I'm glad it is legal, now I can grow 12 plants per every person over 21 living here, their are three , so that means I can grow 36 plants.

If I can grow it in the open without worriy of going to jail, I can grow plants that are from 18ft. to 25ft. tall and will produce 1.5 to 2 lbs. per plant, and it is high guality.

That is my goal.

Who cares about selling it.

I'm glad it is legal, now I can grow 12 plants per every person over 21 living here, their are three , so that means I can grow 36 plants.

If I can grow it in the open without worriy of going to jail, I can grow plants that are from 18ft. to 25ft. tall and will produce 1.5 to 2 lbs. per plant, and it is high guality.

That is my goal.
    I couldn't help but wonder after reading this, do you think you can find a winter-hardy marijuana?

Unless you're planning a greenhouse for it or something.

LOL

i think he means he grows in the winter indoors, and then in the summer, he will be able to grow all of that outdoors this year.

i know people in wisconsin that are planning their road trip already

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    I couldn't help but wonder after reading this, do you think you can find a winter-hardy marijuana?

Unless you're planning a greenhouse for it or something.
    Come on I never said any thing about growing in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by hunybee View Post
    LOL

i think he means he grows in the winter indoors, and then in the summer, he will be able to grow all of that outdoors this year.

i know people in wisconsin that are planning their road trip already

I have never had any luck growing in doors.

I'm a outside grower only.

You DID say you were planning to grow in the open. I thought maybe you'd found a cold-hardy version.

Yeah, but why not? Put up a nice greenhouse with heat and lights, and run all year long.
    The word RACIST, and the ability to debate race-related issues rationally, are the kryptonite of white common sense.

After the first one, the rest are free.

You DID say you were planning to grow in the open. I thought maybe you'd found a cold-hardy version.

I wished.
    Will have to wait till spring.

Personally I hate weed as it's a gateway drug. It does have true medicinal qualities though that for some people offers relief and at an affordable price with arguably less side effects than what is offered by big pharma. However, adults have to make their own choices in life and just like with prohibition of liquor if people want something they are going to get it. So the constitutionalist in me says it's up to the individual states to regulate or local communities. The more pragmatic side of me says the last thing we need in Michigan is more airheads around.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post
    The more pragmatic side of me says the last thing we need in Michigan is more airheads around.
    Yes!

I started to write that you might be far enough north to avoid the worst of it, but that won't be true after the next growing season.

Personally I hate weed as it's a gateway drug. It does have true medicinal qualities though that for some people offers relief and at an affordable price with arguably less side effects than what is offered by big pharma. However, adults have to make their own choices in life and just like with prohibition of liquor if people want something they are going to get it. So the constitutionalist in me says it's up to the individual states to regulate or local communities. The more pragmatic side of me says the last thing we need in Michigan is more airheads around.

DUDE the air heads are already here and have been, now it is legal to be a air head that's all that ha changed.

And just so you all know I don't really smoke it any more,jsut once in a while, I am just growing it for all the people I know who want some good stuff at a cheap price , that's all.

You have a good point about the airheads, but come on, now. You know what our roads and bridges are like. Should we keep throwing away stacks of cash to stop a bunch of potheads when we could be fixing stuff that really needs fixing? We've got places planning to break up paved road into gravel because they can't keep up!

You have a good point about the airheads, but come on, now. You know what our roads and bridges are like. Should we keep throwing away stacks of cash to stop a bunch of potheads when we could be fixing stuff that really needs fixing? We've got places planning to break up paved road into gravel because they can't keep up!
    Yep this.

I just hope they actually use the tax money from pot sales to fix the roads.

I heard a report the other day about rule roads and they said Mi. is number one for the worst rule roads in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    Yes!

I started to write that you might be far enough north to avoid the worst of it, but that won't be true after the next growing season.

The problem we have up here is prescription drugs being stolen from homes and meth. We have arguably a bigger meth problem than they do in Wayne county adjusted for population density. Hardly a week goes by where they don't find a home grown meth lab and people breaking into camps looking for drugs.

A prominent night vision camera and adult Malinois provides a deterrent. Haven't run across any problems in my immediate area but I always keep my eyes open.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Personally I hate weed as it's a gateway drug.
    I, too, would never smoke pot and would be very upset if any of my kids did, but I'm not so sure about it being a gateway drug. I know several people who regularly smoke pot and have never, ever evolved to cocaine, heroin, etc. I know that's what we hear from many people, though.

Working in the court system for decades, I find alcohol plays a much larger factor in more crimes than pot does.
    "Doom is always a day away..."

Quote Originally Posted by jba48 View Post
    I, too, would never smoke pot and would be very upset if any of my kids did, but I'm not so sure about it being a gateway drug. I know several people who regularly smoke pot and have never, ever evolved to cocaine, heroin, etc. I know that's what we hear from many people, though.

Working in the court system for decades, I find alcohol plays a much larger factor in more crimes than pot does.

THANK YOU

THIS IS HOW I SEE IT TO.

And just so you all know I don't really smoke it any more,jsut once in a while, I am just growing it for all the people I know who want some good stuff at a cheap price , that's all.

i am not sure what exactly was voted for in your state. can anyone grow and sell, or do you have to be registered?

You can grow 12 plants per 21 year old living in the house as far as I know..

They said the selling part will be worked out as far as law some time next year.

Lets go with the best case growing results.

So their are 3 21 year olds in my house that's 36 plants at two pounds per plant =72lbs x 16 ounces per pound = around 1152 ounces x 200.00 per ounce = 230,400

WOW pretty good for a summers worth of work, even if the Gov. takes half for taxes still pretty good deal.
    Last edited by dogmanan; 11-09-2018 at 10:04 AM.

SOME TIMES THINGS SOUND GOOD IN THERORY

So I will wait and see what really happens this next year.

So their are 3 21 year olds in my house that's 36 plants at two pounds per plant =72lbs x 28 ounces per pound = around 2000 ounces x 200.00 per ounce = 400,000.

WOW pretty good for a summers worth of work, even if the Gov. takes half for taxes still pretty good deal.
    Pretty good indeed! I should get in on this! And so will everybody else with a little space to spare.

...oh wait...what does a massive oversupply of product do to the per-ounce price again? And why would anyone buy what they can grow for themselves?

Just points to consider.

Pretty good indeed! I should get in on this! And so will everybody else with a little space to spare.

...oh wait...what does a massive oversupply of product do to the per-ounce price again? And why would anyone buy what they can grow for themselves?

Just points to consider.
    Most people can't grow shit and pot is a very hard plant to grow and get something out of it that is good, just saying..

Even if over supply drives the price down to 100.00 per ounce that is still 200,000.

Like I say I will wait till next year and see what happens.

Just points to consider.
    good reasons to grow your own:

you control everything so you know what is used and how it is grown and nothing you don't want to ingest is used.

it keeps the price down massively.

you can grow what you want and not have to be subject to what is available.

reasons to buy it instead of growing your own:

the smell

the work/time/money/ involved

as was said, not everyone has a green thumb

as with any crop, stuff happens, and you can lose the whole thing

the space needed to grow indoors and outdoors may not be available

so many more options when you buy vs growing and you can try new things

Colorado, via People's Republic of New York

So their are 3 21 year olds in my house that's 36 plants at two pounds per plant =72lbs x 28 ounces per pound = around 2000 ounces x 200.00 per ounce = 400,000.

a yield of 2 lbs per plant of dried flower is in the realms of a master grower; especially with an indoor grow. it's not just a matter of throwing a seed in a bucket, adding some water and grow lights. air circulation, air filtering, light monitoring, fertigation, temperature controls, humidity controls, nutrient controls and delivery, monitoring for microbials and molds, etc. add up to a full-time job very quickly.
    " 'cause we'll put a boot up your ass, it's the American way".

Preps = "Git 'r done"
    Preps = "Just do it"