Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ALERT Amber Alert: WI Missing 13yr old, parents killed at home - FOUND ALIVE, post 184
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post
    Of course, if THEY had had a gun, they MIGHT have been able to get a shot in back at him (and I believe that's what you mean by "condition white", right?)
    More or less. I'm not trying to pick a fight here. You said no preparation or training could have helped them. Clearly, being more prepared and ready for the unexpected could have nipped this situation in the bud.

We live in Mayberry, but we carry all the time.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

From Twitter: https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1083846329770696706

Jayme Closs kidnapping suspect identified, charged with murder.

Part of the press conference can be found here: http://time.com/5500654/jayme-closs-.../?xid=tcoshare

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    More or less. I'm not trying to pick a fight here. You said no preparation or training could have helped them. Clearly, being more prepared and ready for the unexpected could have nipped this situation in the bud.

We live in Mayberry, but we carry all the time.
    I "think" you may have misunderstood me. I was replying to someone who was blaming the way the parents had TRAINED JAYME for her getting kidnapped---and I said "there was no amount of training or preparation they COULD HAVE GIVEN HER" that would have saved her. Once both parents were down, and this child was awakened out of a dead sleep by the blasts and her parents' screams---well, unless she was Annie Oakley she was pretty much done.
    Last edited by Countrymouse; 01-11-2019 at 07:55 PM.
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

I hesitate to judge people on first impression, but does anyone else think this looks like a feckless dweeb? I mean, this is not exactly a wolf cornered in its lair.

I "think" you may be misquoting me.
    Sorry if that's what happened. Lot to follow in this thread.

Neighbor Called 911 When Jayme Closs Came to Her Door Speaks Out!

From Twitter: TODAY@TODAY Show - 13h

*“She didn’t know where she was at the time. She did state who she believed had her, and she did give us a little information about the person’s car.” Neighbor who called 911 when Jayme Closs came to her door speaks out

*(Fair Use)
    Video & Resources: https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status...98528646504448

I hesitate to judge people on first impression, but does anyone else think this looks like a feckless dweeb? I mean, this is not exactly a wolf cornered in its lair.

Looks like a psychopath to me.
    I've thrown my back out trying to kiss my ass goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamis View Post
    '[[A woman said she was walking her dog along a rural road Thursday afternoon when a disheveled teenage girl called out to her for help, quickly grabbed her and told her she was lost. Only then did the girl reveal her name.

Jeanne Nutter said Friday that Jayme told her she had walked away from a cabin where she'd been held captive, a cabin not far from Nutter's home.

"I was terrified, but I didn't want to show her that," *Nutter, a social worker who spent years working in child protection, told The Associated Press on Friday. "She just yelled please help me I don't know where I am. I'm lost."]]

God was there to send this child to find the right person , with the right background, who knew what to do.
    Thank you God for keeping her strong thru her ordeal and returning her to us. We will continue to hope and pray for your well being Jayme.

Do you have a link to information you posted?

Did *Ms. Nutter (social worker) go with kidnapped girl to knock on neighbor's door?

According to the today show, the kidnapped girl show up at their front door and ask them to call 911.

Video can be found here: https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status...98528646504448

Quote Originally Posted by Suzieq View Post
    Do you have a link to information you posted?

Did *Ms. Nutter (social worker) go with kidnapped girl to knock on neighbor's door?

According to the today show, the kidnapped girl show up at their front door and ask them to call 911.

Video can be found here: https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status...98528646504448

First answer here:

Quote Originally Posted by homecanner1 View Post
    Wisconsin Teen Jayme Closs Found Alive: ‘The Girl Just Came Out of the Woods’

Three months after her parents’ murder, Jayme Closs was found by a woman walking her dog in a remote wooded area. Police say a suspect has been taken into custody.

Kate Briquelet
    Tracy Connor
    01.10.19 9:19 PM ET

The Wisconsin teen who went missing in October after her parents were murdered in their home was found alive Thursday by a woman walking her dog in a wooded area.

Jayme Closs, 13, was rescued in Eau Claire Acres, a subdivision dotted with cabins on the outskirts of Gordon, Wisconsin. An unnamed suspect was in custody, the Barron County Sheriff's Department said. The break in the disturbing case came in the late afternoon as social worker Jeanne Nutter was walking her dog near the cabin she owns with her husband Forrest, a retired police officer.

“The girl just came out of the woods,” Forrest told The Daily Beast.

“She [Jeanne] kept her composure and took the girl to a safe place and called the sheriff’s department,” he added. “She called and said they found Jayme and she was going to the hospital.”

He said his wife had worked in child protective services in the past and knew how to react in the moment. But still, he said, “it was really very stressful for her and she is not up to talking about it.”

The news that Jayme was alive after three months overjoyed her family.

“It's what we’ve prayed for every single day,” Jayme's aunt, Kelly Engelhardt, told Minneapolis TV station KARE. “I honestly had faith,” she added. "I figured if they hadn’t found her by now that the person that did this didn’t want her dead, so I had hope. Every day there was hope. We had too much love and support around us for us to give up.”

The announcement by police contained few details about who abducted Closs, where she was held and why.

Forrest Nutter said the suspect is one of only a few people who live in Eau Claire Acres year-round. The area is sparsely populated in the winter, with heavy woods between the houses, which could make it easy for someone to hide away without being noticed. Another resident of the development told The Daily Beast that the family who owns the cabin where Jayme was apparently kept was known to have run-ins with police. “There’s people in and out of that house,” he said.

“We can't believe it—it's like ‘holy crap!’” the neighbor said, adding that the tiny community was the unlikeliest of places for a major crime story to unfold.

“Gordon is 600 people living in the most remote country in Wisconsin and this is a little suburb 10 miles outside of that, a 46-home community where everyone is good neighbors,” he said.

He said he had never seen Jayme in the neighborhood and just hoped that police would find every person who might be involved in her apparent kidnapping and the murder of her parents.

Kathryn Swanson, who’s lived on the block for 10 years, told The Daily Beast that two state patrol cars were blocking the two roads leading into the development late on Thursday.

“I’m just shaken. It’s such a nice little neighborhood. I can’t believe it,” Swanson said.“In fact, my sister called me and told me they found [Jayme] in Gordon. Jokingly I said, ‘Maybe they found her in Eau Claire Acres.’ Then, my God, a news reporter called me..."

more at link

2nd answer here:

Quote Originally Posted by Used Camels View Post
    My daughter and son in law live in Gordon and know the Nutters ... the folks who Jayme came to and who called 911. My daughter and SIL are in TX right now and were in fact texting with the Nutters last nite to ask if they knew anything about this, when they said--yes, it was us who called.

They wouldn't say who had her yet under orders by the police to keep it quiet, but it's possible my family know the culprit too ... it's a tiny community out there in the northwoods.

Just updated from my daughter--she hears it's someone named Pat Patterson, in his mid-50s. (she's not positive about the info, so at this point it's rumor)
    Third answer here:

Quote Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
    https://abc7ny.com/live-jayme-closs-...alive/5050666/

BARRON COUNTY, Wisconsin --
    A 21-year-old man is jailed in the deaths of a Wisconsin couple he killed because he wanted to kidnap their teenage daughter, investigators said Friday, a day after the girl approached a stranger along a rural road saying she'd been abducted in October and held against her will.

Jake Thomas Patterson was taken into custody shortly after 13-year-old Jayme Closs sought help from a woman walking her dog in a rural, heavily wooded neighborhood near the small town of Gordon, about 60 miles (96.5 kilometers) north of Barron. Jayme disappeared from her family's home in Barron when her parents were killed Oct. 15.

During a news conference Friday, Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said Jayme was taken against her will. The sheriff also said investigators don't believe Patterson had any contact with the family.

Fitzgerald said investigators believe Patterson killed Jayme's parents because he wanted to abduct her and that Patterson "planned his actions and took many steps to hide his identity."

Fitzgerald said investigators believe the girl was "the only target."

A woman said she was walking her dog along a rural road Thursday afternoon when a disheveled teenage girl called out to her for help, quickly grabbed her and told her she was lost. Only then did the girl reveal her name.

Jeanne Nutter said Friday that Jayme told her she had walked away from a cabin where she'd been held captive, a cabin not far from Nutter's home.

"I was terrified, but I didn't want to show her that," Nutter, a social worker who spent years working in child protection, told The Associated Press on Friday. "She just yelled please help me I don't know where I am. I'm lost."

Nutter said she didn't want to bring Jayme to her nearby home because it was too close to where she'd been found, and she didn't want them to be alone. She said: "My only thought was to get her to a safe place."

The two went elsewhere in the neighborhood, to the home of Peter and Kristin Kasinskas. Jayme was skinny and dirty, wearing shoes too big for her feet, but appeared outwardly OK, the neighbors said.

"I honestly still think I'm dreaming right now. It was like I was seeing a ghost," Peter Kasinskas told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "My jaw just went to the floor."

Jayme went missing after police discovered someone had broken into the family's home outside Barron and fatally shot her parents, James and Denise Closs. Jayme was nowhere to be found. The Barron County Sheriff's Department said the girl had likely been abducted.

Detectives pursued thousands of tips, watched dozens of surveillance videos and conducted numerous searches in the effort to find Jayme. Some tips led officials to recruit 2,000 volunteers for a massive ground search on Oct. 23, but it yielded no clues.

Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said in November that he kept similar cases in the back of his mind as he worked to find Jayme, including the abduction of Elizabeth Smart, who was 14 when she was taken from her Salt Lake City home in 2002. She was rescued nine months later with the help of two witnesses who recognized her abductors from an "America's Most Wanted" episode.

"I have a gut feeling she's (Jayme's) still alive," Fitzgerald said at the time.

He was right.

During the 20 minutes Jayme was in their home, Peter and Kristin Kasinskas said they tried to make her feel more comfortable. They offered her water and food, but she declined both. Jayme was quiet, her emotions "pretty flat," Peter Kasinskas said.

Jayme told the couple she didn't know where she was or anything about Gordon. From what she told them, they believed she was there for most of her disappearance.

Gordon is about 40 miles (64.4 kilometers) south of Lake Superior and about 65 miles (104.6 kilometers) north of Barron, Jayme's hometown. Gordon is home to about 645 people in a heavily forested region where logging is the top industry.

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office confirmed on its website that Jayme was found in the town at 4:43 p.m. Thursday, and that a suspect was taken into custody 11 minutes later.

Sue Allard, Jayme's aunt, told the Star Tribune that she could barely express her joy after learning the news Thursday night.

"Praise the Lord," Allard said between sobs. "It's the news we've been waiting on for three months. I can't wait to get my arms around her. I just can't wait."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jayme-...pearing-police
    Last answer here: (I love the part about how he's standing at the door holding a gun in case the piece of trash DID come to their house looking for Jayme:

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    Eyewitness, law enforcement recount moments after Closs was found alive

By Peter Passi and Maria Lockwood Today at 11:30 a.m.
    https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/ne...as-found-alive

Peter Kasinskas said he was cleaning fish in the kitchen when his dogs “started going crazy.” His wife, Kristin, and children, ages 7 and 9, were getting home.

“And then the neighbor lady was pounding on our door in the kitchen. She opened the door, her dog ran in, and then she helped this girl into the kitchen. She said: ‘It’s Jayme Closs. Call 911.’”

“My jaw hit the floor.”

The 13-year-old Wisconsin girl from Barron had been missing since October but had been found alive in rural Douglas County on Thursday afternoon.

Kasinskas’ wife immediately called 911.

“Jayme was able to give us the person’s name and the color of the car that he drove (red), so when we called the police they could know who they were looking for.”

“She was probably in shock. She was pretty quiet. She didn’t say a lot.”

Kasinskas said Closs was being held about quarter mile away from his home, and the neighbor who found her brought the girl to the Kasinskas house.

“She knew that we were home, and she knew that I had equipment to protect my house if anybody was coming,” he said.

“So, they got in the house, and I loaded a gun and got ready and was standing at the door waiting until the police showed up, because she (Jayme) said she didn’t know when he was coming back. When she was sitting on my couch, I couldn’t believe it. I just said to her: ‘I am so happy to see you,’ because I thought she was dead.”

Kasinskas said Closs declined any food or drink while they waited for police to arrive.

“She looked frozen, so I gave her a blanket,” he said. “She looked thin. She looked like she hadn’t been able to bathe or take care of herself. She just looked kind of run down and dirty. She looked probably 15 pounds lighter than her photos.

“She was very quiet. She was probably still in shock or in relief. Her head had to be going even more than ours was.”

Douglas County sheriff’s deputies arrived roughly 15 to 20 minutes later.

“They identified her, stood her up, got her in the car and got her out of there instantly,” said Kasinskas, who works at Louisiana Pacific in Hayward. His wife is a teacher at Northwood High School.

"It was a great day," said Douglas County Sheriff Tom Dalbec.

He credited the neighbor Closs approached for making sure she got to the phone and called 911 right away.

"Our biggest role in it yesterday was locating the suspect and arresting him," Dalbec said.

The department's news release indicated the suspect was arrested 11 minutes after deputies converged on the area to secure Closs and make sure she was safe.

Dalbec said one of his patrol sergeants had left the immediate area and was driving around patrolling. He noticed a vehicle that matched the suspect’s vehicle description and a man was driving it.

The patrol sergeant pulled the vehicle over based on the fact that it had a burned-out taillight because he didn't know for sure that was the vehicle, Dalbec said.

After officers approached the vehicle, they identified the driver as the suspect and arrested him. During a morning press conference in Barron, authorities there identified the suspect as Jake Patterson, a 21-year-old from Gordon.

"I don't know if he's originally from Gordon, but he's from that area," the sheriff said.

Dalbec said charges for crimes allegedly committed in Douglas County are expected to be included in the Barron County criminal complaint against the suspect.

The sheriff has already notified the county administrator that his office's overtime budget will be spiking for the next couple days.

About a dozen officers were involved in the Closs case Thursday and overnight. Dalbec expected another half dozen or so to be involved in follow-up work Friday, which will include interviewing and tracking down information as well as searching the house where Closs was reportedly held. He said the investigation will probably be ongoing through the weekend.

Reflecting on the events from the night before, Kasinskas said it was difficult to comprehend.

“Honestly, there was so much adrenaline. It was almost like a fog,” Kasinskas said. “When you see a ghost. It’s hard to wrap your mind around that.

“It’s pretty hard for the community right now, because everybody feels so safe here. We don’t lock our doors or anything, ever. Now, I think that’s going to change.”
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    Mug shot does that. Unfortunately, he looks like any of 1000's of normal young guys, meaning you can't tell what's underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    You all know this will be made into a movie, and sooner rather than later.
    Netflix, or Amazon?
    Sub-Zero

more details are coming out and it raises more questions and just makes it worse.

we all knew it would, but still....

please go visit the site as i just cannot get pictures to transfer over to this site no matter what i try.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...old-loner.html

EXCLUSIVE: Inside the squalid basement 'cell' strewn with stuffed toys and filthy sheets where Jayme Closs, 13, spent 88 days as the prisoner of a 21-year-old loner in a cabin in the Wisconsin woods

• Photos emerge of the basement 'cell' where Jayme Closs, 13, may have been held prison for 88 days
    • Den appears to be strewn with soft toys, filthy bedding, and women's clothes
    • It is located in the basement of Jake Thomas Patterson's forest cabin in Gordon, Wisconsin
    • Patterson allegedly killed Jayme's parents and then abducted her
    • The 21-year-old Patterson lived in the isolated woodland home until he was arrested by authorities on Friday
    Strewn with soft toys, filthy bedding and women’s clothes - this is the squalid basement ‘cell’ where cops believe kidnapped Jayme Closs could have been kept prisoner for 88 days.

The secret den complete with a scruffy mattress and cuddly stuffed pig is beneath alleged abductor Jake Thomas Patterson’s tumbledown forest cabin in rural Gordon, Wisconsin.

A stash of kids’ backpacks, including one with panda ears, can be seen piled up in one corner of the 8ft by 8ft room in images obtained exclusively by DailyMail.com.

Police sources say investigators are zeroing in on the creepy lair as they try to establish the exact spot where 13-year-old Jayme was imprisoned after Patterson allegedly slaughtered her parents and snatched her.

They are also understood to have examined an adjacent basement compartment, a former wine cellar, which was the only room in the house which had its curtains drawn when officers arrived Thursday to search the ramshackle property following Jayme’s remarkable escape.

Patterson, 21, is believed to have lived at the isolated woodland home until his arrest on charges of kidnapping and intentional homicide.

The surrounding 2.5 acre lot is littered with old cars, rusty bikes and an assortment of junk, while a sign saying 'Patterson's Retreat' greets visitors as they approach the two-story, $110,000 dwelling.

Twinkling Christmas decorations are still strung across the yard and many of the lights are still on inside the wooden house - suggesting the occupant left in a hurry and didn't have a chance to return.

Chillingly, a mound of trash strewn beside a garage includes an empty box of 80 adult Member's Mark diapers.

Lying nearby in the snow are empty bottles of sugary alcoholic drinks such as cranberry and lime Smirnoff Ice, Henry's Hard Soda and black cherry White Claw, as well as discarded bags of chips.

What looks like a recently baked and eaten tray of pasta has been dumped outside.

The cabin itself is filled with an assortment of tatty old furniture, from rocking chairs to fans and years-old televisions and stereos.

Dirty plates are piled up in a dated kitchen.

Inside the main living room is a half-finished game of Monopoly and a book entitled 'U.S. Armed Forces Survival Guide'.

A hammer, a flashlight, a scouring pad, scissors and a spray bottle of cleaning fluid are piled on a table.

Investigators think it's possible that Jayme could have spent time in different areas of the house before being bundled into the basement whenever Patterson thought someone was visiting.

Looks like Grandma's cabin in the woods, and Patterson was the big bad wolf and Jayme Little Red Ridinghood. Creepy house, that poor girl. I didn't see a bed in any of the pictures. I wonder how she escaped, front door, backdoor, window?
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

I'd wouldn't call that squalid. Cluttered maybe, but not squalid. The creep's picture gives me the impression he isn't all there. Wonder what he did to support himself.

Interesting. The sheet insulation tacked onto the kitchen ceiling suggests he'd abandoned the top floor, at least in cold weather. Looks like a small wood-burning stove added to the kitchen, with the flue out through the ceiling. Trying to reduce his living space to stay warm.

Wonder how they came up with the $110,000 value.

My wife would call it squalid. I'd call it informal.

About the same as a lot of family "cabins"/weekend places. A lot of junk around, but I've sure seen a lot worse. Thought I'd heard that the place was owned by his father? The junk collection isn't unusual for older folks who are "fixer-upper" types. LOL - a "dated" kitchen is somehow telling? Of what.

Not much of a story in the pictures, far as I can see. This afternoon he goes before the judge. Hopefully there will be more real news then.

Wonder how they came up with the $110,000 value.
    It is only on a 2.5 acre lot and the house is pretty ticky-tacky. Around the area, if a place isn't on a lake, the property values aren't all that much. The author probably got the valuation from county records.

I have a cabin with vapor barrier hanging down from the squirrels dive bombing onto it

the pics of the sheet insulation gives me an idea how to fix it

if its cheaper than plywood

One bittersweet, silver lining, to this event is that there is a number of young women who've had the same or similar experiences. I'm guessing they'll be reaching out to Jayme at some point.

Knowing she's not alone, having safe people to share these common experiences with, etc, will improve her prognosis.

The other take away for me is that this cabin was only an hour or so distant from point of abduction. I'm a bit surprised if the area's outbuildings and seasonal homes were not searched. My BHs' family cabin is in the Duluth/shore of the superior, and though they didn't comb all 100+ acres, they did make a point to check out the cabin and outbuildings. I've always checked mine, too. Not that LE can cover such vast areas, but perhaps some of the backup support efforts can be made more comprehensive next time.

I'm looking fwd to seeing how LE knew she was alive, particularly as the time progressed.

I still don't have a good grasp of why the perp stormed the castle and killed the parents in the effort to achieve the objective of abduction. Still feels like the crime scene and events paint pic of distinctly different types of perps.

Oh. The other thing that struck me is the folks in Gordon still leaving their doors unlocked. Cmon folks!
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

Dup
    Thoughts are things. Thus I'm careful of the thoughts I think, & the company I keep.

News 12 NBC 26
    ‏Verified account
    @WRDW_WAGT
    3 minutes ago

More
    The suspect who allegedly kidnapped 13-year-old Jayme Closs and killed her parents is set to appear in court this afternoon.

http://bit.ly/2TNq4i3
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by jward View Post

The other take away for me is that this cabin was only an hour or so distant from point of abduction. I'm a bit surprised if the area's outbuildings and seasonal homes were not searched. My BHs' family cabin is in the Duluth/shore of the superior, and though they didn't comb all 100+ acres, they did make a point to check out the cabin and outbuildings. I've always checked mine, too. Not that LE can cover such vast areas, but perhaps some of the backup support efforts can be made more comprehensive next time.

I'm looking fwd to seeing how LE knew she was alive, particularly as the time progressed.
    Right after the murder/abduction, the Barron Sheriff was asking everybody to check any closed, abandoned, unused, or seasonal cabins/cottages in the northwoods area. Something must have tipped him off that it was a strong possibility, to be that specific.

I, too, am interested to know how they thought she would still be alive. Was something overheard on the 911 call that the mom made?? As an uninvolved bystander, I also had a gut feeling she was still alive, though I could not have given anyone specifics as to why I thought that.

Maybe it was nothing but hope.

Wisconsin has been full of tragedy in the last few years, particularly as young girls go (SlenderMan stabbing, girl scouts hit in the ditch while doing a service project by a meth addict, several young mothers murdered, and this). Maybe we all needed something to hope in.
    "It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
    - JK Rowling

- JK Rowling

As I look at the pics, unless her hands were tied or some other extenuating circumstance (booby traps, bomb vest, drugged, etc) , there are several items that could have been used as weapons, used to break out of the cottage, or attack her captor.

It is important to teach kids that nearly EVERYTHING can be used as a weapon. It is also important to teach them that it is OK to break windows in an emergency.

For the record, I am not blaming her, as I don't really know the full circumstance of everything that went on.
    - JK Rowling

Most youth today aren't even capable of changing a car tire, let alone going all "MacGyver". Further, bear in mind that youth are programmed from a very young age to "let the authorities" get them out of a bad situation. They've been raised that way since the first day of Publik Skool.

ETA: The hinges of her room are on her side of the door. She could have taken any flat edge and shot the pins in 15 seconds. Also, I'm betting it was a hollow core door, about as substantial as a piece of cardboard. There is no reason for her to be in there past the first time this jackass left the house (and she'd have heard the car starting and driving away.)

Thats a rather large house to be calling it a cabin.

Fair Use Cited
    ----------------
    Complaint: Jayme Closs saw mother shot and killed before kidnapping

Posted: Mon 5:33 AM, Jan 14, 2019
    Updated: Mon 1:06 PM, Jan 14, 2019

BARRON COUNTY, Wis. (WBAY) - Jayme Closs's mother was shot and killed in front of her as the two hid in a bathroom from Jake Patterson, according to a criminal complaint obtained by Action 2 News.

Online court records show Barron County prosecutors have filed two counts of 1st Degree Intentional Homicide and one count of Kidnapping against Jake Patterson, 21. They've also filed an armed burglary charge against Patterson.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE CRIMINAL COMPLAINT.

Action 2 News has obtained the criminal complaint and is going through it right now. We will continue to update this breaking news story.

Jayme told investigators that on the night of Oct. 15, she was asleep in her bedroom when her dog started barking. She got up to see what happened and saw someone driving up in the driveway.

She woke up her parents, James and Denise, and her father went to the door to see what was happening. Jake Patterson was at the door with a gun. Jayme and Denise Closs went to the bathroom and hid in the tub.

Jayme told investigators that she heard a gunshot and knew her father had been killed. Denise Closs had her cell phone and called 911. Patterson broke down the bathroom door and told her mother to hang up the phone.

Patterson instructed Denise Closs to put tape over Jayme's mouth. Patterson then shot Denise Closs in front of Jayme.

James and Denise Closs were both shot in the head.

Jayme says this was the first time she ever saw Jake Patterson. He dragged her to his car and put her in the trunk.

Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald says Patterson will appear in court via video from the Barron County Jail. The court appearance is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Action 2 News will be there and update this story throughout the day. We will carry the court appearance live here.

Patterson's attorneys held a news conference Sunday after speaking with their client.

"Mr. Patterson's feelings are consistent with what you would believe of someone involved with these allegations, he's in a single cell in a Barron Co. Jail and his feelings are appropriate for those times and circumstances," said attorney Charles Glynn.

Patterson was arrested last Thursday after Jayme Closs escaped from a home in Gordon, about an hour north of Barron, and flagged down a woman who was walking her dog. The woman took Jayme to a nearby house where neighbors called 911.

"She was skinnier than in her photograph but I think healthy overall, and she was able to have a conversation with us. I think she was doing OK and-- despite the circumstances," the neighbor, Kristin Kasinskas, said. "She said that this person usually hides her or or hides her when others are near or when he has to leave the household."

UK's Daily Mail published photos they say show the basement where Jayme was held.

Jayme was able to describe the vehicle of her alleged abductor. Patterson was stopped and arrested a short time later.

Sheriff Fitzgerald says Patterson made extensive preparations to kidnap Jayme Closs. On Oct. 15, Patterson allegedly used a gun to shoot open the door of the Closs home in Barron. He shot and killed James and Denise Closs and kidnapped Jayme, according to investigators.

"Jayme was taken against her will and escaped from a residence at which she was being held and found help." Fitzgerald says. "I can tell you that the subject planned his actions and took many proactive steps to hide his identity from law enforcement and the general public."

Investigators are not looking for additional suspects.

Patterson has no criminal history in Wisconsin. Investigators do not believe he knew the Closs family or had any connection to them prior to the events of Oct. 15. Jayme Closs told the FBI that she did not know Patterson at all.

Neighbors and Gordon residents don't know much about the 21-year-old suspect.

"The way that the house is kind of angled, from the road, there's no way you can even see. There's no windows facing that side of the road. The windows are facing more the opposite side. So, you can't tell if there's lights on," neighbor Adam Wilson said.

Friends from high school are struggling to understand Patterson's motivations.

"You know you talk to this person everyday. You don't know that three years from now you're gonna hear about this," says Dylan Fisher. "So yeah, I'm asking myself a lot of questions and none of this makes sense."

JAYME'S RETURN HOME

Jayme Closs was evaluated at a hospital and given medical clearance on Friday. She spent the weekend with her aunt, Jennifer Smith.

Smith posted photos to social media of Jayme smiling with her dog and her aunt.
    Jayme's cousin, Jake Allard, told Good Morning America about the happy reunion.
    "Jayme's dog was there. He crawled right up on her lap and snuggled up to her," Allard told GMA.

Now comes helping Jayme deal with the loss of her parents.

"My biggest concern was that she was real close to her mother," Allard told Good Morning America. "Her mother was really good to her. Her dad was too."
    On Saturday, Jennifer Smith posted this message to Facebook:

"Jayme had a pretty good night sleep it was great to know she was next to me all night what a great feeling to have her home. As a family we will get through all of the healing process Jayme has. It will be a long road but we are family strong and we love this little girl so much!! We will do anything and everything!! My beloved sister Denise pooh and brother in law Jim can rest at peace and I keep assuring them Jayme is safe and we will make sure forever. We all miss them both dearly now they know there Jayme which was there whole world is home with family!! God is Good !! Bless you all!!"

Aunt Sue Naiberg Allard posted this message on Facebook:

"I have absolutely no way of knowing how to thank soooo many people. I would Love to give each and everyone of you a huge hug...together we brought Jayme home. She did this. I am so very proud of you Jayme Closs. You saved your strength at the utmost opportunity. I believe all the thoughts and prayer behind you, God and your mom and dad led you to use your strength, love, and power to get you home to us. I am so thankful for that. This is a day of happiness I will never forget... getting to hug you and tell you that I LOVE YOU. you will now be surrounded by love and we will Always be there for you. God is good. Keep praying for our dear girl as we will travel this road together to help heal what has been lost. My sister Denisey-Pooh and Jim. .. we have your baby girl in our arms and may you both now Rest In Peace, we will never forget you. Just so glad we bot your baby girl back. Love you both and miss you terribly."

https://www.wbay.com/content/news/Su...d=twitter_WBAY
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

WPEC CBS12 News
    ‏Verified account @CBS12
    2m2 minutes ago

#BREAKING Suspect in kidnapping of Jayme Closs spotted her getting on a school bus one day and made up his mind to take her, per criminal affidavit. @AP http://bit.ly/2AKmw9k

Jayme Closs says saw suspect kill mom

BARRON, Wis. (AP) —

Thirteen-year-old Jayme Closs has told police she tried to hide from the man accused of killing her parents and kidnapping her, but that he dragged her out of her home and threw her in the trunk of his vehicle.

Prosecutors filed a criminal complaint Monday charging Jake Thomas Patterson with two counts of intentional homicide, kidnapping and burglary. Investigators believe Patterson broke into the Closs home near Barron, Wisconsin, in October, killed Jayme's parents and kidnapped her.

The complaint states that Jayme and her mother hid in the bathroom as Patterson came to the front door. They heard a gunshot and knew Patterson had killed her father.

Patterson then broke down the bathroom door, shot her mother and taped Jayme's hands and ankles. He then dragged her to his car and threw her in the trunk.

1:05 p.m.

A criminal complaint says a Wisconsin man accused of kidnapping 13-year-old Jayme Closs spotted her getting on a school bus one day and made up his mind to take her.

Jake Thomas Patterson was charged Monday with kidnapping and with killing Jayme's parents. The criminal complaint says Patterson told investigators he was driving to his job at a cheese factory one day near Almena, Wisconsin, when he stopped behind a school bus and watched Jayme get on.

The complaint quotes Patterson as saying when he saw Jayme, "He knew that was the girl he was going to take."

The complaint says Patterson went to the Closs home twice with the intent of taking Jayme but was unable to do so because too many people were around before he was able to kidnap her.

More:

https://cbs12.com/news/nation-world/...spect-kill-mom
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

nbc15_madison
    ‏Verified account @nbc15_madison
    7m7 minutes ago

#BREAKING: BARRON, Wis. (AP) -- Complaint says kidnapping suspect warned Jayme Closs "bad things could happen to her" if anyone found her at his cabin. #NBC15

Agenda-Free TV

Chilling New Details in Jayme Closs Case - LIVE COVERAGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot0EaDclEXQ

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Thats a rather large house to be calling it a cabin.
    My folks had one twice that size and called it a cabin. It's the attitude more than the size.

Amelia Jones
    ‏ @amelia_nbc15
    3m3 minutes ago

#BREAKING “The criminal complaint says Patterson hid 13-year-old Jayme Closs under a bed for hours at a time and warned her that "bad things could happen to her" if anyone found her there.” Read the full story here:

---------------

Complaint: Suspect hid Jayme Closs under bed

Updated: Mon 1:59 PM, Jan 14, 2019

MADISON, Wis. (WMTV/AP) -- A criminal complaint says a Wisconsin man hid 13-year-old Jayme Closs under a bed for hours at a time and warned her that "bad things could happen to her" if anyone found her there.

Jake Thomas Patterson is charged with kidnapping Jayme and killing her parents in an Oct. 15 attack at the family's home near Barron.

The criminal complaint filed Monday says Jayme was forced to go under a bed in Patterson's remote cabin and that he would stack totes, laundry bins and barbell weights around her so she couldn't move without him noticing. The complaint says Jayme was kept up to 12 hours at a time with no food, water or bathroom breaks.

The complaint says Jayme escaped Thursday after Patterson made her go under the bed and told her he was going to be gone five or six hours. It says she pushed the bins away, crawled out, put on a pair of his shoes and fled the house.

Investigators believe Patterson broke into the Closs home near Barron, Wisconsin, in October, killed Jayme's parents and kidnapped her.

The complaint states that Jayme and her mother hid in the bathroom as Patterson came to the front door. They heard a gunshot and knew Patterson had killed her father.

Patterson then broke down the bathroom door, shot her mother and taped Jayme's hands and ankles.

Thirteen-year-old Jayme Closs has told police she tried to hide from the man accused of killing her parents and kidnapping her, but that he dragged her out of her home and threw her in the trunk of his vehicle.

A criminal complaint says a Wisconsin man accused of kidnapping 13-year-old Jayme Closs spotted her getting on a school bus one day and made up his mind to take her.

The criminal complaint says Patterson told investigators he was driving to his job at a cheese factory one day near Almena, Wisconsin, when he stopped behind a school bus and watched Jayme get on.

The complaint quotes Patterson as saying when he saw Jayme, "He knew that was the girl he was going to take."

The complaint says Patterson went to the Closs home twice with the intent of taking Jayme but was unable to do so because too many people were around before he was able to kidnap her.

Patterson then broke down the bathroom door, shot her mother and taped Jayme's hands and ankles. He then dragged her to his car and threw her in the trunk.

Jake Thomas Patterson was arrested Thursday after Jayme apparently escaped from a remote northwestern Wisconsin cabin where she says she was held.

Investigators say the 21-year-old man broke into James and Denise Closs' home near Barron, Wisconsin on Oct. 15 by blowing the front door open with a shotgun. Jayme's parents were shot to death and the teenager vanished the same day.

Investigators believe Patterson planned to abduct Jayme but say they don't know what led him to target her.

Wisconsin sheriff says 13-year-old Jayme Closs had a smile on her face when he saw her Sunday, just days after she fled the remote cabin where she says she was held for three months.

Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said it was the first time he had met Jayme since she apparently escaped from her captor on Thursday.

Fitzgerald called it "awesome" and a moment he'll never forget. He says Jayme showed him the room where she is staying with an aunt in Barron, Wisconsin.

Photos of the Wisconsin cabin where a man suspected of kidnapping Jayme Closs allegedly held the teenager show an unfinished ceiling, a three-car garage and an empty box of adult female diapers in the trash.

Investigators believe Jake Thomas Patterson broke into Jayme's home in October, killed her parents and abducted her. She was missing for almost three months before a woman walking her dog near Gordon, Wisconsin, found her on the road. Jayme said she had escaped from Patterson's cabin nearby.

Photos published by the New York Post show the cabin's living area, complete with a refrigerator, white kitchen cabinets and an old television. The ceiling is not finished.

Exterior shots show a lean-to covering firewood, a three-car garage and an empty box of adult female diapers in a trash can. A sign over the front door reads "Pattersons Retreat."

Relatives of a 13-year-old Wisconsin girl who was kidnapped after her parents were fatally shot say they aren't asking the girl to tell them what happened while she was held captive for three months.

Her aunts say they're surrounding Jayme Closs with love and attention.

Lynn Closs and Sue Allard told "CBS This Morning" that they're telling their niece they're proud of her for surviving and escaping. Lynn Closs says her niece's strength is incredible and that she took the power away from her captor.

Investigators believe Patterson broke into James and Denise Closs' home near Barron on Oct. 15, killed the couple and abducted their daughter.

Jayme was missing for nearly three months before she escaped from a cabin in Gordon late last week. She told investigators Patterson had been holding her against her will.

Jake Thomas Patterson, the man suspected of abducting Jayme and killing her parents, James and Denise Closs, was expected to be charged later Monday with kidnapping and homicide.

According to the criminal complaint, when authorities pulled over Jake Patterson, he stated that he knew what this was about, and “I did it.” @nbc15_madison
    — Isabel Lawrence (@Isabel_NBC15) January 14, 2019

Complaint: “the defendant stated he never would have been caught if he would have planned everything perfectly” @nbc15_madison
    — Isabel Lawrence (@Isabel_NBC15) January 14, 2019

https://www.nbc15.com/content/news/S...504318441.html

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What a lousy, sloppy, incoherent, un-put-together article. No shame or pride in journalism school these days.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I'd wouldn't call that squalid. Cluttered maybe, but not squalid. The creep's picture gives me the impression he isn't all there. Wonder what he did to support himself.
    lived off mama and daddy, probably--and the work at the "cheese factory".

I wonder what factory---and shudder to think I may have eaten any cheese that that nutcase helped package. (even though such plants are automated and he probably never touched anything even with a gloved hand, but still--eeeuuuww).
    Last edited by Countrymouse; 01-14-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    WPEC CBS12 News
    ‏Verified account @CBS12
    2m2 minutes ago

#BREAKING Suspect in kidnapping of Jayme Closs spotted her getting on a school bus one day and made up his mind to take her, per criminal affidavit. @AP http://bit.ly/2AKmw9k

Jayme Closs says saw suspect kill mom

BARRON, Wis. (AP) —

Prosecutors filed a criminal complaint Monday charging Jake Thomas Patterson with two counts of intentional homicide, kidnapping and burglary. Investigators believe Patterson broke into the Closs home near Barron, Wisconsin, in October, killed Jayme's parents and kidnapped her.

1:05 p.m.

Jake Thomas Patterson was charged Monday with kidnapping and with killing Jayme's parents. The criminal complaint says Patterson told investigators he was driving to his job at a cheese factory one day near Almena, Wisconsin, when he stopped behind a school bus and watched Jayme get on.

More:

https://cbs12.com/news/nation-world/...spect-kill-mom
    If she had been raped, would they not have included that in the charges? Or would they add that at a later time?

And yes, if he's the totally psychopathic NUTCASE He appears to be (giving her TOYS to play with, and making her wear DIAPERS instead of allowing her to use a bathroom) it IS possible he may have been thinking of her as still a "child" or "infant" and holding off on relations with her.

Remember he is a bona-fide, certifiable fruit cake.

And can those of you who were so ready to throw stones at Jayme (She must have met him on social media! It must have been a boyfriend! Maybe they planned the murder together!) at least in your hearts, if not as loudly as you issued the judgments, exonerate her now, and pray for her healing?

lived off mama and daddy, probably--and the work at the "cheese factory".

I wonder what factory---and shudder to think I may have eaten any cheese that that nutcase helped package. (even though such plants are automated and he probably never touched anything even with a gloved hand, but still--eeeuuuww).
    In the link below is a list of cheeses that Saputo, the cheese factory in Almeda, makes.

http://www.saputo.com/en/our-product...heese-division
    - JK Rowling

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    Peewee Herman
    I once was blind but now I see!...
    Acts 9:11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”

LIVE: Jake Patterson Court Appearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilzb4Fp1GDI

Bail? Are you kidding me?

FOX6 News
    ‏Verified account @fox6now
    1m1 minute ago

#BREAKING Bail for Jake Patterson is set at $5 million. WATCH: https://fox6now.com/live-stream-2

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    Bail? Are you kidding me?

FOX6 News
    ‏Verified account @fox6now
    1m1 minute ago

#BREAKING Bail for Jake Patterson is set at $5 million. WATCH: https://fox6now.com/live-stream-2
    Unreal isn't it. Makes me take pause as to why I wasted my time in all those CJ classes.