Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

CHAT Soooo....where does Flu go?
+ Reply to Thread

Soooo....where does Flu go?

Stupid Question Time....again:

Was watching a documentary on Small Pox the other day and afterwards got to wondering:

"Where Does Flu Go....in the off season?"

With Small Pox, the only vector, carrier, host, anything was humans. No other/outside agents existed. However with influenza we're dealing with a disease that can with some frequent impunity jump between species. Not to mention the normal way of people just handing it back and forth.

So where does Flu go.....in the off season? Why are there particular times of the year that it always seems to show up?
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

I have wondered the same thing.

Why/how does it have a season?

why back to the CDC of course - so they can culture next years epidemic and all those NECESSARY vaccinations
    So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

Quote Originally Posted by Raggedyman View Post
    why back to the CDC of course - so they can culture next years epidemic and all those NECESSARY vaccinations
    Yep.

Not a whole lot different than our Scrabble game. Get it down when we want to play, put it up when we're done.
    This might hurt a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Codeno View Post
    Yep.

Not a whole lot different than our Scrabble game. Get it down when we want to play, put it up when we're done.
    a most fitting analogy sir/madam
    So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

I dont know where it hides in the off season but I am pretty sure its sunlight that kills it. Which would make sense why we dont see it in the summer months.

They are starting to use ultraviolet light in hospitals now to kill all pathogens including C. Diff.

What if its like any other germ...we always have it but something keeps it under control (like immune systems) Vitmin D is know to help which also comes from sunlight. Some rays are ultraviolet.

That would explain why the plague and flu outbreaks always happen in the winter. And was worse during the solar minimums.

Australasia
    There are two types of people in this world.
    1) Those that can extrapolate from incomplete data

Never really goes away. One can get the flu any time during the year. There is however correlation [correlation does not mean causation]between lack of exposure to the sun resulting in much lower vitamin D3 levels in the bloodstream suppressing immune function response. That and with people stuck inside more you have greater exposure to others that are sickly making it more likely that your going to catch it.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

What HF said plus, IMO, you stick all those damn kids back together and they're just walking petri dishes to begin with. They bring it home, take it to the mall and the rest of us spread it all over.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th
    We Must Secure the Existance of Our People and a Future for White Children
    Make America Confederate Again
    2020 Is Going To Be A ClusterF*ck

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreLibs View Post
    What HF said plus, IMO, you stick all those damn kids back together and they're just walking petri dishes to begin with. They bring it home, take it to the mall and the rest of us spread it all over.
    Absolutely agree. Think about it. The kids go back to school in September, pass the bugs around then come the holidays they pass it on to anyone who missed it the first time. Then in January the cycle starts all over again. We got our flu & pneumonia shots yesterday and I had a terrible reaction last night. Headache, severe aches/pains in all my joints, nausea, etc. If that's an indication of what the actual flu is going to be like, god help the babies and elderly. I just hope they picked the right strains this year. We only get the shots so we don't expose DH elderly father since we have to take care of him everyday and he refuses to get the shot.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

HFComms provided a localized perspective. Think global for a moment. Influenza travels the world. It does not survive well in high sunlight environments but does flourish in low angle sunlight (where winter in occurring). That's why virologists look to the Southern hemisphere to try to figure out what is going to hit the Northern hemisphere the next flu season. The big problem is, THINGS MUTATE. What was big in the Southern hemisphere peters out and it's mutant brother hit the Northern hemisphere with a vengeance despite vaccinations.

Additionally, current literature now suggests that immunization effectiveness against some specific strains goes to ZERO in as little as 90 days (that's another reason people who had the flu shot can get the flu.) This may necessitate a booster mid-flu season (oh, joy).

My wife and I got our flu shot yesterday. We noticed an ever-so-slight ache in the shoulder, into the neck. That was quickly resolved with Tylenol. I work in a busy Emergency Department. I diagnosed (and was exposed to) the first Influenza B one week ago. It here. Be safe.

Blizzard, MD, FACEP

Quote Originally Posted by 2Trish View Post
    Absolutely agree. Think about it. The kids go back to school in September, pass the bugs around then come the holidays they pass it on to anyone who missed it the first time. Then in January the cycle starts all over again. We got our flu & pneumonia shots yesterday and I had a terrible reaction last night. Headache, severe aches/pains in all my joints, nausea, etc. If that's an indication of what the actual flu is going to be like, god help the babies and elderly. I just hope they picked the right strains this year. We only get the shots so we don't expose DH elderly father since we have to take care of him everyday and he refuses to get the shot.
    2Trish, how long did your reaction to the shot last. My mom had her shot yesterday and she was terribly ill within a couple hours with symptoms sounding just like yours. I'd like to comfort her with word it'll go away today. She is miserable. It happened to me once about 20 years ago and I will never have another flu shot because of that.

Southern Hemisphere for their winter?
    "It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
    - JK Rowling

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonemom View Post
    I kind of wondered about that, but don't know. Seems like we should be able to figure out what's going on and break the cycle of this garbage!

I know that I'm sick and tired of dealing with the threat every damn year when "Flu Season" rolls around. DW and I are just now getting over something that's taken us going on three weeks to finally shake off the worst of it. Left with little or no energy. Sick of the viral/flu symptoms and coughing until my head felt like it was going to explode. Fought it off with plenty of rest, water, Vit C, Sambucus syrup, and gallons of various herbal teas and lots of good old fashions homemade Chicken vegetable soup.

A big part of the problems is people not washing their hands or covering their mouths and nose when they sneeze or cough. People are just plain filthy these days. No manners at all. If you're sick...STAY HOME!! Don't infect others! Wear a mask - keep your disease to yourself!! Think of others for a change.

[/rant off]
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    "Where Does Flu Go....in the off season?"
    Not a: "Stupid Question."

When it is not flu season here it is flu season in the southern hemisphere. Flu by it's preferred method of transmission (airborne via a mucus membrane) is pandemic in nature. It goes everywhere and tends to mutate and swaps species, DNA and other material along the way. Being a bug that is transmitted to other species it can migrate with animals (including farm animals) and birds. Ever wonder why the PTB want to know about reports of dead and dying birds falling out of the sky?
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Yeah

It flu south.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Exactly. They try to base flu shots on what is going around in other countries in our off season because that version is likely to be here next.

the same place they keep the flies and mosquitoes during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    Yeah

It flu south.

Central Illinois..halfway between here and there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hfcomms View Post
    Never really goes away. One can get the flu any time during the year. There is however correlation [correlation does not mean causation]between lack of exposure to the sun resulting in much lower vitamin D3 levels in the bloodstream suppressing immune function response. That and with people stuck inside more you have greater exposure to others that are sickly making it more likely that your going to catch it.
    That's what I always thought, too. Which begs the question...is the flu season different south of the equator?

I also subscribe to the UV light killing things that need to be gone. Always take my shopping cart from the cart corral outside and wipe it down with my own sanitizing wipes. Those suckers can be colder than a witch's you know what but I figure that between my wipe, the UV from the sun and the temperature of the handle, I've done as much as I can do.
    Needs more cowbell.
    "The Constitution only gives people the right to persue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." --Benjamin Franklin
    Proud member of fly-over country

Out goes to the southern hemisphere....

Come on people.
    Recently a friend told me I am delusional, I almost fell off my Unicorn!

Quote Originally Posted by Raggedyman View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, we now have discovered the official cause of the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic. You heard it here first.

RR
    Survival and Austere Medicine: An Introduction - 2nd and 3rd Editions Contributing author and editor

Get your FREE copy of the 3rd edition here:NNPG Download Site

Reddit AustereMedicine/