Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

POL Matthew Shepard Will Be Interred at the Washington National Cathedral, 20 Years After His Death
+ Reply to Thread

Matthew Shepard Will Be Interred at the Washington National Cathedral, 20 Years After His Death

http://Www..nytimes.com/2018/10/11/u...cathedral.html

Matthew Shepard, 21, was kidnapped and killed in Wyoming in 1998. His death became a symbol of violence against gay people.CreditCreditvia Associated Press
    By Jacey Fortin
    Oct. 11, 2018

For 20 years, the ashes of Matthew Shepard have not been laid to rest.

Mr. Shepard’s killing in 1998, when he was a 21-year-old college student, led to national outrage and, almost overnight, turned him into a symbol of deadly violence against gay people.

Mourners flocked to his funeral that year in Casper, Wyo., but there were also some protesters, carrying derogatory signs. Mr. Shepard’s parents worried that if they chose a final resting place for their son, it would be at risk of desecration.

Now they have found a safe place. On Oct. 26, Mr. Shepard will be interred at the Washington National Cathedral, the neo-Gothic, Episcopal house of worship that is a fixture of American politics and religion.

“I think it’s the perfect, appropriate place,” Dennis Shepard, Matthew’s father, said in an interview on Thursday. “We are, as a family, happy and relieved that we now have a final home for Matthew, a place that he himself would love.”

Two decades ago, Matthew Shepard was robbed by two men, pistol-whipped and tied to a fence in Laramie. He hung there bleeding in near-freezing temperatures until a passing bicyclist spotted him, thinking at first that he was a scarecrow. He later died in a hospital.

“His death was a wound on our nation,” Mariann Edgar Budde, the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington, said in an interview on Wednesday. “We are doing our part to bring light out of that darkness and healing to those who have been so often hurt, and sometimes hurt in the name of the church.”

The elder Mr. Shepard said his family had long searched for a fitting resting place for his son, who was once an altar boy in the Episcopal Church. They considered spreading his ashes over the mountains and plains of Wyoming, but still wanted a place they could visit to talk to him. They considered splitting the ashes.

At the cathedral, not only will the family be able to visit him, but so will guests from across the world.

“It’s a place where there’s an actual chance for others to sit and reflect about Matthew, and about themselves, and about their friends,” Mr. Shepard’s father said.
    Mr. Shepard’s friend Jason Marsden remembers him as a young man who was passionate about global politics and human rights. He remembers the funeral in 1998 — how the attendees overflowed into nearby churches, and how some people came to protest with their signs.

Now Mr. Marsden, who works to promote his friend’s legacy as the executive director of the Matthew Shepard Foundation, plans to be there in Washington this month when Mr. Shepard’s ashes are interred in the crypt.
    Washington National Cathedral during Senator John McCain’s funeral last month. About 200 people have been interred there.CreditJason Andrew for The New York Times
    “It is a noteworthy place to be at rest, and it invites conversations about the importance of this person and what this person represents in American history,” he said.

Mr. Marsden added that Mr. Shepard liked his church in Wyoming and would have appreciated being interred at the grand cathedral in Washington. “I think that with Matt’s sense of occasion and drama, he would have found that tremendously gratifying and very cool,” he said.

The cathedral regularly hosts prayer services and memorials for politicians and presidents. It recently hosted Senator John McCain’s funeral. The ceremony on Oct. 26 will begin with a public service in the morning, and the ashes will be interred privately.

Bishop Budde will preside over the event alongside the Rev. V. Gene Robinson, who became the first openly gay bishop in the Episcopal Church in 2003. He has since retired.

Bishop Robinson said he had been working with Mr. Shepard’s parents on issues affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people for years. He said that Mr. Shepard’s mother asked him about the possibility of interring her son’s ashes at the cathedral, and that he helped to make it happen.

“God can take something very, very bad and make something good come out of it,” he said. “I think that’s exactly what the Shepards have done for all of us, taking this tragic, awful event and making something meaningful and productive out of it.”

Bishop Robinson said the country had made good progress on civil rights for L.G.B.T. people since Mr. Shepard’s killing, such as the legalization of same-sex marriage.

Mr. Shepard’s name was on a bill, signed into law in 2009, that expanded the definition of violent federal hate crimes to include those committed because of a victim’s sexual orientation. And the Washington National Cathedral has honored Mr. Shepard before; in 2013, it hosted a screening of “Matt Shepard Is a Friend of Mine,” a documentary about his life and death.

But the work is far from over, Bishop Robinson said, adding that people are still being hurt and killed because of their sexuality or committing suicide because of trauma or alienation.

Mr. Shepard’s death “became a symbol of the kind of mindless, pointless violence against us for no other reason than being who we are,” Bishop Robinson said. “It is important for us to remind ourselves that we are still trying to come out from under that shadow.”

About 200 people have been interred at the cathedral in Washington, including President Woodrow Wilson, Admiral George Dewey of the United States Navy, Helen Keller and her teacher Anne Sullivan. Mr. Shepard will be a quite welcome addition, Bishop Budde said.
    “A lot has changed in the 20 years since Matthew was abducted, tied to a fence and left to die,” Bishop Budde said. “A lot has changed, but not everything has changed. It felt really important for us to say that we believe L.G.B.T.Q. people are beloved children of God, not in spite of their identities but because of who they are — who God created them to be.”

Dennis Shepard said the family was “awe-struck” by the others resting at the cathedral.

“To have Matthew sharing a facility with people like that is above and beyond what we ever expected,” he said.
    Daniel Victor contributed reporting.
    Attached Images

So bury him under the altar already.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

It must be because I am an old, privileged, homophobic, misogynist and bigoted white guy but I find this an unseemly exercise in unnecessary political correctness.

He was a drug dealer killed over drugs by.His bisexual lover. Timewe stop allowing this scum to be a martyr.

If the cathedral staff is ok with it, and the family is ok with it, it's fine by me.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
    He was a drug dealer killed over drugs by his bisexual lover. Time we stop allowing this scum to be a martyr.
    The MSM never let that bit of news out, I never knew of this until today.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    The MSM never let that bit of news out, I never knew of this until today.
    a homosexual reporter decided to look into the story. There was never a hate crime investigation into it. There are witnesses to one of the killers and Shepard being sexually involved. All were drug dealers. Shepard got in a fresh load of drugs and refused to share.

Quote Originally Posted by tortminder View Post
    It must be because I am an old, privileged, homophobic, misogynist and bigoted white guy but I find this an unseemly exercise in unnecessary political correctness.
    ^^^THIS^^^ speaks loud and clear.

He can amuse his so called spirit by visiting the gates of Hell to see if Woodrow Wilson will let him in.
    "Talking is easy and everyone is wise after the event."

Ernest Joyce

Treating that thing as a national hero for the god of political correctness and these idiots don't realize why us gun and religion clinging deplorables are up in arms?

I wonder, are the two Delta operators that won the Congressional Medal of Honor or any recent MOH winners buried there?

He'll fit right in with the pedophiles running the joint....
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

Matthew Shepard was a Meth user and so were his assailants. Shepard was HIV at the time of his death.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

Like Michael Brown another liberal lie that the MSM (not to mention gay advocates) tries to beat people into submission with.
    Last edited by Altura Ct.; 10-11-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    "Property must be sacred or liberty cannot exist"

a homosexual reporter decided to look into the story. There was never a hate crime investigation into it. There are witnesses to one of the killers and Shepard being sexually involved. All were drug dealers. Shepard got in a fresh load of drugs and refused to share.
    Yep. I remember when the story broke. It didn't get a whole lot of play in the press, and what attention it did get was trying to discredit the writer because it totally changed the narrative. But there was good fact-finding and corroboration that backed up the author.
    Last edited by thompson; 10-12-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    Complacency is the biggest threat to freedom.

Where are they going to bury his ashes at the National Cathedral? There aren't any places to bury him, unless they do it somewhere inside the church. There's no cemetary attached to the cathedral.

If they do bury his ashes somewhere outside, then during the next blessing of the pets next year Astor (our ShiTzu) will seek out and give the grave ALL the attention it deserves (one raised leg at a time).

ENOUGH with the PC garbage!

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaMan View Post
    Where are they going to bury his ashes at the National Cathedral? There aren't any places to bury him, unless they do it somewhere inside the church. There's no cemetary attached to the cathedral.
    My FIL's ashes were buried at his church in a small garden where he got stirred in with the other occupants. You can bury lots of people's ashes if you don't do separate real estate for each.

He was a drug dealer killed over drugs by.His bisexual lover. Timewe stop allowing this scum to be a martyr.
    Exactly so. He got the consequences not uncommonly attendant to an immoral, unwise lifestyle choice. What's next, a shrine to Michael Brown or Michael Jackson on the Washington Mall?
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

I don't give a damn. Shepard is beyond knowing. If this brings some peace to his family, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    I don't give a damn. Shepard is beyond knowing. If this brings some peace to his family, it's all good.
    Let them have a private ceremony on property they own or have paid market value to briefly rent, that I never hear about.
    I am disgusted that my taxes are going to celebrate a druggie rectal romeo.
    Proud member Alt-Right group "Scientists For Trump". (Smart Americans know he's right.)
    A man should only take a wife whose Bible includes Genesis, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Colossians, Malachi, Isaiah, Ephesians, Corinthians, Hebrews, Timothy, Titus, Proverbs, Mark, Peter & Revelation. Ecclesiastes 7:28 (NIV) tells him the odds.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaSmith View Post
    I am disgusted that my taxes are going to celebrate a druggie rectal romeo.
    Gotcha. I'm ok that some of my tax dollars are giving a family closure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    Treating that thing as a national hero for the god of political correctness and these idiots don't realize why us gun and religion clinging deplorables are up in arms?

I wonder, are the two Delta operators that won the Congressional Medal of Honor or any recent MOH winners buried there?
    No. This is why we HAVE Arlington.

No, we have Arlington because the Federals wanted a personal way to punish Robert E. Lee and his family.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    Gotcha. I'm ok that some of my tax dollars are giving a family closure.
    Why not just write them a check to help cover their party expenses, and leave those of us who don't GAF about his "legacy" out of it? The money that you were going to spend on your rent this month would be a good start, since it's a better use for it.
    Last edited by MinnesotaSmith; 10-11-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post

The whole thing reminds me of Horst Wessel....

INTERESTING parallel, Housecarl.

Quote Originally Posted by Housecarl View Post

And the lie continues. The whole thing is a sham.

NO one should be killed like that. It was horrible. I do not agree with his life choices or know the facts of the case. GOD does. He calls us to love others and be His light. I am sorry for this boy's horrific death. May God have mercy on his soul.
    SnowSquaw
    WHO IS Q? #QANON #WWG1WGA .... Let's do this.

Quote Originally Posted by SNOWSQUAW View Post
    NO one should be killed like that. It was horrible. I do not agree with his life choices or know the facts of the case. GOD does. He calls us to love others and be His light. I am sorry for this boy's horrific death. May God have mercy on his soul.
    I agree.

My continued concern has been how the narrative has been "shaped" completely outside of the murder case to fit an agenda.

He was a drug dealer killed over drugs by.His bisexual lover. Time we stop allowing this scum to be a martyr.
    Bingo. Rational people realized this many years ago.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-309670005
    Audio Bhagavad Gita downloadable

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Housecarl View Post
    Just need a rousing marching song....
    https://soundcloud.com/user-309670005
    Audio Bhagavad Gita downloadable

This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed.

Quote Originally Posted by SNOWSQUAW View Post
    No SNOWSQUAW I do not wish what happened to him on anyone. He had a troubled life and his death was made into a political agenda. He is still being used even in death to glorify something that is not glorious.
    "They wanted to be left alone to face challenges head-on, and to prosper from their own hard work and ingenuity...harsh country tends to produce strong people."-John Erickson

Quote Originally Posted by Echo 5 View Post
    And the lie continues. The whole thing is a sham.
    THIS. The whole thing makes me want to hurl.
    Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it. Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    No, we have Arlington because the Federals wanted a personal way to punish Robert E. Lee and his family.
    That as much as anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hognutz View Post
    He'll fit right in with the pedophiles running the joint....
    Wrong church. This is an Episcopalian Church, all married clergy. So no pedophiles. And we know that if the RC Church allowed married clergy, it would have no pedophiles either. In fact, I think I read that on this forum.
    "The misfortune of many is the consolation of fools" Ancient proverb

Yup, once again PC Fake News is propagated by the Mainstream Media. I'm damn sick and tired of being lied to by the press and politicians. The propaganda being spewed today would do justice to Hitler, or the Russians with Pravda (Truth).

Quote Originally Posted by Troke View Post
    Wrong church. This is an Episcopalian Church, all married clergy. So no pedophiles. And we know that if the RC Church allowed married clergy, it would have no pedophiles either. In fact, I think I read that on this forum.
    Actually it was the NY State Communist Teachers Union in the 1930s that found and installed the homosexuals into the priesthood with the intention of destroying the Catholic Church from the inside out
    Last edited by NC Susan; 10-12-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Trump won 2626 counties
    Hillary won 487 counties
    In 2018, all 435 U.S. House Members and 34 U.S. Senators are up for reelection.

Apt analysis...

http://takimag.com/article/the-week-...#axzz5TtGQmdiy

MATTHEW SHEPARD: THE LIE CONTINUES

"In 2009, Barack Obama honored dead gay man Matthew Shepard by putting his name on some silly-ass federal hate crimes act.

Now Shepard’s gay corpse will join other luminaries as Woodrow Wilson and Helen Keller by being interred at the National Cathedral in Washington, DC.

Ever since Shepard’s 1998 murder in Laramie, WY, his legacy has become sanctified to a nigh untouchable level. We are led to believe that two homophobic Wyoming rednecks met Shepard at a bar, then lured him to the outskirts of town, where they cracked his skull by pistol-whipping him and then tied him to a fence and set him on fire. We are also led to believe—in fact, we are forbidden from believing anything else, lest we be called naughty names—that the sole reason these rednecks bashed this angelic little 5’2” gay man was because he was gay, and all Wyoming rednecks are secretly gay, which is why they take out their self-loathing by bashing in gay men’s skulls with pistols.

Alas, just as with MLK and Nelson Mandela, any time someone is depicted as saintly, you can breathe easy knowing it’s a steamin’ crock o’ shit.

ABC News will tell you that Matthew was “no different than any other young man that age.”

That’s assuming that most young men that age were HIV-positive meth dealers. That’s also assuming that Shepard and his killers met that night and that they weren’t all meth dealers and that Shepard wasn’t already involved sexually with at least one of them.

“The view was that homophobic rednecks walked into a bar and saw an obviously gay man with money and targeted him and beat him to death for that reason,” says Stephen Jimenez, author of The Book of Matt: Hidden Truths about the Murder of Matthew Shepard. “But that isn’t what happened. [Killer] Aaron McKinney and Matthew had a friendship. They’d been involved sexually, they bought and sold drugs from each other. That complicates the original story of two strangers walking into a bar and targeting Matthew—someone they did not know—because he was gay.”

Jimenez, who is himself as unabashedly gay as a sprig of mistletoe on a red-velvet winter’s vest, spent thirteen years researching the case and says he originally arrived in Laramie convinced that it was a homophobic hate crime. But after interviewing 100 individuals close to the case, he suggests that the murder may have instead been the result of McKinney’s five-day meth binge and an intent to rob Shepard of a $10K meth shipment that was coming into Laramie.

Jimeneze quotes a Laramie police officer with the incredibly macho name of Flint Waters:

I believe to this day that McKinney and Henderson were trying to find Matthew’s house so they could steal his drugs. It was fairly well known in the Laramie community that McKinney wouldn’t be one that was striking out of a sense of homophobia. Some of the officers I worked with had caught him in a sexual act with another man, so it didn’t fit – none of that made any sense.

He also quotes investigator Ben Fritzen:

Shepard’s sexual preference … certainly wasn’t the motive in the homicide. What it came down to really is drugs and money.

Even the story that Shepard was tied to a fence as if he were crucified is a lie, despite the fact that nearly every major media outlet who reported on his upcoming interment at the National Cathedral repeated it unquestioningly. According to the lead detective on the case, Shepard was found sitting on the ground with his hands tied behind his back.

As much as it pains us to say it, the gay community really needs better hate-crime victims. It’s not that we want anything bad to happen, but from a public-relations standpoint, it would certainly help their image, and we all know how image-conscious those rump-wranglers can be."