Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

FARM kerosene incubator
+ Reply to Thread

kerosene incubator

I just picked up an old xray incubator company kerosene egg incubator. I cant find much info besides old ads for them. Its a long shot but does anyone have any info on these? Hoping to get it running.

I don't know anything about the incubator, but several years ago, I did brood some chicks (two batches of them, in fact) in a home-built brooder heated with oil lamps. (I needed two lamps to start with, as the weather was still chilly and the brooder was outdoors; when things warmed up, one was sufficient).

I would say, first, clean the thing. Second, figure out how the kerosene heater part works -- there should be a reservoir, a wick, and some way to adjust the wick. If the wick is missing, you will need to locate a replacement, which may be tricky, depending on the kind of wick it needs. Once you have a wick (and are sure the reservoir doesn't leak) try lighting it up and adjusting the flame so it doesn't smoke. You want to be sure there won't be fumes going into the egg area. Now you will need a thermometer so you can see what the temperature is in the egg area; watch it for a couple of days and keep adjusting until you can get it to hold steady at the correct temperature (about 100 F). You'll also need to figure out how to turn the eggs three or four times a day.

Really, all you can do is experiment with it. Use some cheap eggs -- don't experiment with expensive breeding stock or shipped eggs. That way any mistakes made in learning how to operate the thing won't cost you much.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

I can not say for sure but this fella has the most complete data set on everything kerosene. He will probably entertain a question on a rare heater if it is not already on his web site.

Shadow

http://www.milesstair.com/kero_fuel_....html#PARAFFIN
    "18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness… 21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened… 24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts…" Romans 1:18-32

Seems to be an age old concept.

Gobs of them here....

https://www.bing.com/search?q=xray+i...t=13&FORM=PERE

Play with it awhile and see what it does, before you put eggs in it.

I'ma thinkin', it ain't rocket surgery.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Got a picture?

need a rooster? I have one that I will let go..

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    Got a picture?
    Here is a pic of the unit and a copy of one of the ads that I found.
    Attached Images

Interesting concept - but I sure wouldn't use it in the house (or any building I valued). They claim an "automatic trip" but if anything went wrong...well....those lamp chimneys can throw off (and up) a surprising amount of heat. There's a lot of flammable wood in the construction of this thing.

Is the tank, burner and interior metalwork in good shape? Check the integrity of the tank first - a lot of times, they are the weak point in these old kero gizmos. A leak (even a pinprick) can mean fire where you don't want it. You can probably find wicks from Miles Stair (above link in somebody's post). He's a great source of parts and info - also a member here.

Added: I can't imagine that these incubators were very reliable for practical use. If in a room/setting with varying ambient temps, they would need constant readjustment. It's challenging enough to keep a modern electric incubator with a modern thermostat at a good stable temp. This thing looks to me like it would be near impossible.
    Last edited by WalknTrot; 10-11-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Watched a movie where John Wayne lit a cigarette at the top of a kerosene lamp glass "chimney". Seemed to be about 10"-12" tall. I was surprised . Old timers said a lot of drapes caught fire and burned houses down.

I can not say for sure but this fella has the most complete data set on everything kerosene. He will probably entertain a question on a rare heater if it is not already on his web site.

Shadow

http://www.milesstair.com/kero_fuel_....html#PARAFFIN[/QUOTE]

********* I will answer the question but a photo or two would be very helpful. email Miles@ruraloregon.net
    "It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by WalknTrot View Post
    Interesting concept - but I sure wouldn't use it in the house (or any building I valued). They claim an "automatic trip" but if anything went wrong...well....those lamp chimneys can throw off (and up) a surprising amount of heat. There's a lot of flammable wood in the construction of this thing.

Is the tank, burner and interior metalwork in good shape? Check the integrity of the tank first - a lot of times, they are the weak point in these old kero gizmos. A leak (even a pinprick) can mean fire where you don't want it. You can probably find wicks from Miles Stair (above link in somebody's post). He's a great source of parts and info - also a member here.

Added: I can't imagine that these incubators were very reliable for practical use. If in a room/setting with varying ambient temps, they would need constant readjustment. It's challenging enough to keep a modern electric incubator with a modern thermostat at a good stable temp. This thing looks to me like it would be near impossible.
    These kero incubators actually had a good track record for hatching. Years ago my friends dad used to use an old kero in his back shed and he ran about 75% for his game birds.

Everything is in really good shape and the burner is a standard #1 so I have a lot of wicking for it. When I get a new kero heater, stove etc I typically fill it the fount and wait 24-48 hrs checking for a leak and fire them up outside the first time.