Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WEATHER Hurricane Michael, Cat-4 at landfall (10/10)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Official Weather UK☀️❄️⚡🌧️🍃
    ‏ @_NorwichWeather

3m3 minutes ago

#HurricaneMichael #Michael has strengthened to a #Category4 Major Hurricane - it'll be the first Cat4+ Hurricane to ever make landfall on this part of #Florida ( #FloridaPanhandle ) and only the 5th Cat4 Hurricane to make landfall during October.
    Dangerous, Deadly & Destructive

L. Sawyer
    ‏ @SawyerNS
    3m3 minutes ago

#HurricaneMichael now reported by CNN to be a #Category4 #Hurricane heading for #Destin #Florida going to cause flooding in Tampa. Gov.Scott said : #Donotwaittoevacuate Predicted Track off #NS coast Sat @infomorning
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Tallahassee:

Erica Rakow
    ‏ @EricaRakow
    5m5 minutes ago

They pray.. letís pray for them. Itís an all hands on deck operation for our law enforcement officers in the path of #HurricaneMichael. These Leon County deputies have secured their homes and left their families, prepared to stay on duty for days to keep everyone safe. @WPTV
    Attached Images

This got very ugly almost overnight didn’t it?! I always keep up with weather and wasn’t really even paying big attention to this I’ve, nor have I heard much on the radio etc!! Yikes!!

This thing is massive!
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding,
    acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will direct your path.

Marc Weinberg
    ‏Verified account @MarcWeinbergWX
    1m1 minute ago

5 am update per NHC...

#HurricaneMichael has strengthened again. This is a category 4 hurricane with 140 mph winds! Pressure still falling to 943 mb.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by psychgirl View Post
    This got very ugly almost overnight didnít it?! I always keep up with weather and wasnít really even paying big attention to this Iíve, nor have I heard much on the radio etc!! Yikes!!

This thing is massive!

The Hurricane Michael Twitter:

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...chael&src=tyah

Quote Originally Posted by mzkitty View Post
    The eye is looking .....interesting!

I belong to three weather groups but mostly been reading winter predictions... guess I should catch up.
    Wow. Scary stuff!
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding,
    acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will direct your path.

Quote Originally Posted by psychgirl View Post
    The eye is looking .....interesting!

I belong to three weather groups but mostly been reading winter predictions... guess I should catch up.
    Wow. Scary stuff!
    Very scary!!!

-------------------------

Hurricane Watcher
    ‏ @GodlessNZ
    1m1 minute ago

#HurricaneMichael storm surge flooding on the coast has started in the last hour or so. #ItsHappening

Brian McKibben
    ‏ @OkieBMac
    2m2 minutes ago
    Replying to @RyanMaue

Aircraft recon is catching up to satellite estimates which show #HurricaneMichael as a Cat 5

Attached Images

Looks like this thing is going to be the monster storm they thought Florence was going to be.

Prayers for the people of Fla and the Gulf Coast.
    "Property must be sacred or liberty cannot exist"

Erin Thomas
    ‏Verified account @ErinThomasWx
    3m3 minutes ago

Torando Watch has been issued for portions of Florida and SW Georgia.
    #Michael #HurricaneMichael #FLwx #GAwx
    Attached Images

Daily Star
    ‏Verified account @Daily_Star
    1m1 minute ago

#HurricaneMichael Ė Chilling image of SKULL appears in eye of 140mph storm heading for US https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wor...ory-wind-speed Ö
    Attached Images

WECpoker
    ‏ @WECpoker
    4m4 minutes ago

Looks very sad. I will be worrying about Panama City, FL.

Storm chaser @Jeff_Piotrowski says many people have not evacuated and he thinks high probability of big loss of life.

He says #HurricaneMichael will be close to Cat 5 and is reporting from large concrete parking garage

The hype is getting as strong as the hurricane.
    Reality is bad enough without it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
    Seems like many hurricanes, including Florence just recently, pulled back in intensity upon landfall after being forecast to be Cat 3 or 4.

It looks like this one just might do it, though. Not much time left. Could be really bad...
    This storm isnít pushing into dry air and itís fast moving. Fast moving hurricanes rarely weaken in a low to no shear environment

I do hope for weakening. He is a monster of a storm this morning

It has been getting windier and rainier here in N. Ga all night long.
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

Oh-oh. Cantore's there now:

Greg Diamond
    ‏ @gdimeweather

Lowest pressure for an October land falling hurricane in the U.S., is 938 mb with Hazel in 1954

#Michael's pressure has dropped to 937 mb

3:10 AM - 10 Oct 2018

Jim Cantore
    ‏Verified account @JimCantore

Jim Cantore Retweeted Greg Diamond

And dropping!

WOW - it looks like the recon plane just recorded a 933 central pressure. This thing is still strengthening at a good clip.

This is the problem with overhyping hurricanes. People don’t believe them when it comes to a storm like this one.

He is almost the same pressure as Katrina at landfall

Edit - At landfall, hurricane-force winds extended 120 miles from the center, the storm's pressure was 920 millibars (27 inches of mercury), and its forward speed was 15 mph.
    Last edited by Warm Wisconsin; 10-10-2018 at 06:11 AM.

Mike Dross

@MikeWDross
    2m
    2 minutes ago

More
    SFMR just measure 144 mph uncontaminated surface wind in NE eye-wall.

Breaking News‏
    Verified account

@BreakingNews
    19m
    19 minutes ago

More
    NWS Tallahassee: "Hurricane Michael is an unprecedented event and cannot be compared to any of our previous events ... Michael will produce potentially catastrophic and unprecedented wind damage where the core of the hurricane moves onshore." http://nbcnews.com/michael

Warm Wis, thanks for the links. Do you know when is the expected landfall? I can't find it.

People in southern Georgia are going to be in for on evil ride after sundown. This will still have major hurricane force winds through at least Albany or Valdosta, depending on the final path.

Quote Originally Posted by Giblin View Post
    Warm Wis, thanks for the links. Do you know when is the expected landfall? I can't find it.
    Hard to know exactly...I thought it might slow a bit overnight...I believe the NHC is saying 1pm...Iím thinking a little later like maybe 3-5.

Quote Originally Posted by Giblin View Post
    Estimated landfall time:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/09/u...e-michael.html
    Attached Images

Radar link with official track for those needing to track any wobbles for their safety

https://apps.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/...dar_flanim.gif

Prayers going up for those in harms way especially the first responders.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WECpoker
    ‏ @WECpoker
    4m4 minutes ago

Storm chaser @Jeff_Piotrowski says many people have not evacuated and he thinks high probability of big loss of life.

Panama City Beach manager says around 50 percent of residents stayed despite mandatory evacuation order.
    "Property must be sacred or liberty cannot exist"

Destin is where I spend Jan and Feb and I am so worried for my friends down there.

What a horrible storm!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Gray Mare View Post
    Prayers going up for those in harms way especially the first responders.
    Joining in agreement. I have had a deep foreboding/heartache over this one.
    Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it. Edmund Burke

Appreciate all the updates. I fly to Florida tomorrow night for several weeks, to be with DS and his family as they are expecting their new baby in a couple more weeks. So far looks like the Tampa area will be missed and I don't know yet if any of my flights south will be affected. My prayers are with those in the path - looks like it could be pretty rough in places.
    All that is gold does not glitter....

It went around me so I wont be trying out the mini split AC system that I installed in the shelter last year. A few years ago every storm seemed to go through the panhandle of FL then they moved to central FL for a while.

It looks like Michael will hit central Georgia with strong tropical storm or weak hurricane force winds. One track indicates that it could hit the greater Atlanta area. Has the Atlanta metro area been hit by a hurricane or strong tropical storm in anyones' memory? I can imagine the havoc that would create if it caused extended blackouts. Fortunately, the little Doc1 Homestead in southern Mississippi seems safe for the time being. If anything, we might get a little breezy weather. Prayers up for all in Michael's path.

Best regards
    Doc

This hurricane reminds me of hurricane Opal in 1995, Michael is taking a similar path. Opal was a cat 5 as it approached the panhandle and then quickly lost strength before it made landfall near Pensacola. Once on land, it followed the Chattahoochee River northward between Alabama and Georgia. It tore up Florida before it got here and then tore us up pretty good too, but Alabama got it worse than us. It spawned a lot of tornados, many people died. The overall property loss in Florida, Georgia and Alabama was over 4 billion dollars.

Michael seems to be tracking further east than Opal did so hopefully it won't be as bad here, but for those in its path, it will be bad enough.

Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Oh-oh. Cantore's there now:

Greg Diamond
    ‏ @gdimeweather

Lowest pressure for an October land falling hurricane in the U.S., is 938 mb with Hazel in 1954

#Michael's pressure has dropped to 937 mb

3:10 AM - 10 Oct 2018

Jim Cantore
    ‏Verified account @JimCantore

Jim Cantore Retweeted Greg Diamond

And dropping!
    Down to 933 last I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    Damn near perfect organization. Plus the cane is slightly west of the official track at them moment. I think the 50% of the population of Panama City that didnít evacuate are going to regret their decision.

You know this is going to be bad when the weather channel and the hurricane chasers are bugging out!

I think these storms that spin up quickly in the Gulf and rapidly intensify over a fairly short journey are way more dangerous than many storms that take two weeks to cross the Atlantic and just run out of juice.

It's why fewer people have evacuated this time -- it's hard to predict intensity and this thing didn't give us much warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    This hurricane reminds me of hurricane Opal in 1995, Michael is taking a similar path. Opal was a cat 5 as it approached the panhandle and then quickly lost strength before it made landfall near Pensacola. Once on land, it followed the Chattahoochee River northward between Alabama and Georgia. It tore up Florida before it got here and then tore us up pretty good too, but Alabama got it worse than us. It spawned a lot of tornados, many people died. The overall property loss in Florida, Georgia and Alabama was over 4 billion dollars.

Michael seems to be tracking further east than Opal did so hopefully it won't be as bad here, but for those in its path, it will be bad enough.

I remember Opal, too, and my former rental home in Auburn, Alabama, literally, got crushed by an oak tree that fell on the back part of the home. I had lived there up until June of that year and was in Columbus, Georgia when Opal hit in October.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
    I think these storms that spin up quickly in the Gulf and rapidly intensify over a fairly short journey are way more dangerous than many storms that take two weeks to cross the Atlantic and just run out of juice.

It's why fewer people have evacuated this time -- it's hard to predict intensity and this thing didn't give us much warning.

Strong hurricanes need really really hot water in order for them to rapidly intensify and the water in the gulf is, practically, like a hot tub from about May until about November or even early December.

145mph

5-Cats is 157.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Who is going to pay for all the damage?
    Oh yeah, the taxpayers.