Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WEATHER Hurricane Michael, Cat-4 at landfall (10/10)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post
    It looks like Michael will hit central Georgia with strong tropical storm or weak hurricane force winds. One track indicates that it could hit the greater Atlanta area. Has the Atlanta metro area been hit by a hurricane or strong tropical storm in anyones' memory? I can imagine the havoc that would create if it caused extended blackouts. Fortunately, the little Doc1 Homestead in southern Mississippi seems safe for the time being. If anything, we might get a little breezy weather. Prayers up for all in Michael's path.

Best regards
    Doc
    Irma came through LAST YEAR--around Labor Day---60 mph winds for over 5 hours in the metro Atlanta area---three of my neighbors had trees down but fortunately ours held up.

This time it's going farther east, but tonight, even when the winds at ground-level weren't that strong, my husband and I could occasionally hear a "roaring" sound up high. It was not jets. My husband thinks we may be hearing very high-altitude winds that are harbingers of the greater winds to come. Worst of it supposed to come through here between now and 6 am....
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    Trying to keep these moved up the active page...

MS---HOW do you find the page that has the view you are posting? the links are only good for the specific gifs you've posted, and when I go to the site the home page only has info about Florence. Please tell me how you FIND these wonderful shots? I don't see anything on their page's menu to the left of the page to indicate how you pulled up these views.
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    Here's some transformer popping left and right.

https://twitter.com/Breaking911
    Didn't see your transformers video--but did see this one of a TRAIN BLOWN OFF ITS WHEELS by the force of the wind in PCB:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1050239750437818369

Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post
    Irma came through LAST YEAR--around Labor Day---60 mph winds for over 5 hours in the metro Atlanta area---three of my neighbors had trees down but fortunately ours held up.

This time it's going farther east, but tonight, even when the winds at ground-level weren't that strong, my husband and I could occasionally hear a "roaring" sound up high. It was not jets. My husband thinks we may be hearing very high-altitude winds that are harbingers of the greater winds to come. Worst of it supposed to come through here between now and 6 am....
    You can't hear high altitude wind because it only makes noise when moving around objects.

I think Michael is through with us here, thank God. Probably through with Macon and mostly through with Atlanta. It’s been a long, noisy night, and I’m ready for bed.

I hope everyone from the FL panhandle and south GA will check in and let us know how they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Krayola View Post
    The man whose house Brett Adair took shelter in was watching Brett on Facebook. The owner had evacuated, boarded up his house and is interviewed here -

https://twitter.com/mynbc15/status/1050115698020810758

On a side note, I felt terrible for the homeowner because those stupid news anchors were asking him on live TV (!!) about whether or not Adair was able to get inside the home through an unlocked door and they went on and on putting him on the spot about whether his home had been left unlocked. Might as well as put a sign out front that said "Looters stop here for your free stuff".

In fact these idiots actually said that many people on the coast leave their doors unlocked on purpose so that first responders can check the houses after the storm. I don't believe the residents in that area would be so stupid as to leave their property unsecured after evacuating. However, the looters will hear that and be encouraged to go looking for homes to ransack. Way to go, you morons.
    when high river alberta got flooded cpl yrs back, rcmp went door to door in boats

many doors were unlocked and they still booted them down and tramped mud into folks' homes

so they could confiscate guns (they had a list)

Brother finally called late last night.

Where he lives towards pennsacola he said they only had high wind, but no huge damage.

Says that about 30 miles east of him and on towards panama city it is pretty bad.

As soon as they could the emergency trucks started east past his place. He said the news said they had 3 - 4 thousand emergency folk ,powerboard, rescue , nat guard, etc staged and they moved past and were getting there fast. Still it's gonna be a mess for a good while clearing things up.

They got a cell tower up and working near him and he called me.

I asked him to try get me some pics and on the scene news, but he says that to much is down and unless they need volunteer help he won't be going that way. The locals near him are preparing for people who need places to stay and other help but that is still developing as of yesterday.

His phone went out mid call, says that the cell is spotty but I know they are ok. Thank you Lord Jesus.
    Dosadi

III

My family & clan are my country.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post
    MS---HOW do you find the page that has the view you are posting? the links are only good for the specific gifs you've posted, and when I go to the site the home page only has info about Florence. Please tell me how you FIND these wonderful shots? I don't see anything on their page's menu to the left of the page to indicate how you pulled up these views.
    They are from NOAA, their satellite imagery page.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Maranatha View Post
    Hardly any damage in Pensacola. We live about 18 mi east of there on a bay facing North in Santa Rosa Co. Considering the devastation suffered around Panama City, I hate to even mention the damage here. The wind has been blowing + or - 40 mph NNE since late last night. Our pier is totally destroyed. The bay is awash with debris from many damaged/destroyed piers and boat houses. Basically for the second year in a row, we have dodged the hurricane bullet here in FL. Praise the Lord for His mercy in allowing this monstrous hurricane to make landfall during daylight hours. It is so much worse in the dark.

MARANATHA!
    Thank you for the report! (And my middle daughter -- the one who went to PCC -- her name is Maranatha!)

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

That storm complex in the Bay of Campeche bears watching.

Deplorable

And here it comes to my AO. Tornado Watch till 9 freakin' PM. Tropical/SubTropical Winds 25-45 MPH and lots of rain.

Tossed the dogs out a bit ago. It was sorinkling. Came in to boot the PC and heard "YIIIPYIIIIPYIIIIP!!!!".

Went to the back door and could not see three feet out because of the downpour and both dogs had nailed selves into the inside corner of the doorframe out there trying to avoid the waterfall.
    "It ain't no secret I didn't get these scars falling over in church."

I have not failed. I have simple discovered ten-thousand ways things don't work.

We're getting rain from what's left the hurricane now. Looks as if the flash flood advisory was not misplaced, some of the low water bridges here are already under.

https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southeast_loop.php
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

With the projected track still showing it going right through Norfolk, VA, I'm guessing that the USN is getting ready to send the ships in port back out again so they don't get beat up at dock...

Yeah, I saw that, too.

So if Michael survives enough when it goes back out to sea, could it build back up into a monster again?
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Gotta link for that?
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

We're in the mountains of south west Virginia and we're completely cut off due to flooding. Three creeks converge out front and it looks like the Mississippi river out there.The noise is deafening. Can hear huge boulders being rolled under the water. Our farm pond is about to overflow.

The house is fine- up on the mountain side- but we can't get to some of our livestock. They should be okay if they stay on the higher ground but their lower fences - cattle panels - are wiped out. We often get flooding in the spring but this is the worst we've seen it in the 13 years we've lived here. They just repaired our dirt road a couple of weeks ago after Florence but now it gone again.

Stay safe everyone, Flash flooding can't be underestimated!

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Gotta link for that?
    Look at #322.

Deplorable

Look at #322.
    thanks

So if Michael survives enough when it goes back out to sea, could it build back up into a monster again?
    https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

If you go there and hit the play button, it looks like some of that stuff might be whirling around, and come back to bite Texas in the butt, but hopefully nothing serious. The gulf will be cooler thanks to Michael.

The Gulf Stream is cooler than the Gulf. It could gain power, but probably not become a monster.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

The last NOAA model I saw had Michael's remnants near Ireland by Monday.

Deplorable

Mexico Beach - Looks like a bomb went off.

Hurricane Michael Catastrophic aftermath from Helicopter

4:14

"Property must be sacred or liberty cannot exist"

The last NOAA model I saw had Michael's remnants near Ireland by Monday.
    OH goodie, three major storms in three days! I mean it probably won't be nearly as bad here but we are still waiting for storm one to hit later tonight.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Altura Ct. View Post
    Mexico Beach - Looks like a bomb went off.

Hurricane Michael Catastrophic aftermath from Helicopter

4:14

Lord have mercy....

Regarding the catastrophic damage in that video above, was that mostly due to the storm surge or was it the wind?

In that video above, you can see that some buildings were totally demolished, while others took a lot less damage. Is that due to newer construction built to better standards, or just to chance, or ?

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

Overwash from storm surge, with a cherry on top from the wind.

Look at the streets/avenues that go down to the beach and give a straight shot inland ...
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto

It is bad down here. Mexico beach is gone, Panama City Beach is a war zone, we have almost zero power in our city. Power poles and lines lying all over the place, trees are down everywhere. It may be weeks before all power is restored.
    Patriot Guard rider
    www.patriotguard.org

Holy Crap... No words...

( 8:11 ) Mexico Beach, FL Massive devastation from Hurricane Michael - 10/10/2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=o5DyL8C1sFM

( 4:49 ) 10-10-18 Panama City, FL - Hurricane Michael Causes Catastrophic Damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlmtYsObUzs
    Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared
    "You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson
    "No man knows but that the last backward glance over his shoulder may be his last look, forever." - Ernie Pyle Born: 1900 KIA: 1945 Shima, Okinawa

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?...d=fcx&loop=yes

Rain has stopped here, this is the next station NW of us (Blacksburg, VA). And Carolina blue sky now visible to the west, over behind the clouds.

Very lucky is isn't more, judging by those videos:

Dr. Rick Knabb
    ‏Verified account @DrRickKnabb

Sadly, we now have 6 confirmed fatalities due to #Michael, all inland. 4 in Gadsden County, FL (NW of Tallahassee), one in Seminole County in SW Georgia, and one north of Charlotte in Iredell County, NC. Most known to be due to wind knocking down trees or structures onto victims.

https://twitter.com/DrRickKnabb/stat...80216991326208
    So when's the Revolution? God or Money? Choose.

Here we are right now on I95 Richmond southbound

Phone Weather Alerts going crazy warning about flooding
    Traffic is rolling
    Visibility is poor
    Rain is intense
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    OH goodie, three major storms in three days! I mean it probably won't be nearly as bad here but we are still waiting for storm one to hit later tonight.
    Looks like a miss for ya'll.

Deplorable

Sun came out about 4 PM with blue skies. Asheville as usual had flooding.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Freeholder View Post
    In that video above, you can see that some buildings were totally demolished, while others took a lot less damage. Is that due to newer construction built to better standards, or just to chance, or ?

Kathleen
    you can get plates to attach the framing members to each other. It adds a bit of cost and time to the framing, but greatly increases the resistance to roofs lifting off. The roof stabilizes the walls, and once it is compromised, the whole structure is generally weakened. Ideally, everything should be anchored to the foundation footings. A neighboring house has 1" black pipe running from the footings through the walls and bolted to the second story top plate. The builder wanted it to withstand a tornado. Since it was never hit by a tornado, we don't know if his design was adequate.

But, the house is old, and it's still plumb and square.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

my power went out around 4 pm trees down lots of flooded roads one tree on my house and gf son had his car crushed by a tree..going to be a long night
    The most important days in a persons life are the day they were born and the day they find out why!

Quote Originally Posted by Garryowen View Post
    you can get plates to attach the framing members to each other. It adds a bit of cost and time to the framing, but greatly increases the resistance to roofs lifting off. The roof stabilizes the walls, and once it is compromised, the whole structure is generally weakened. Ideally, everything should be anchored to the foundation footings. A neighboring house has 1" black pipe running from the footings through the walls and bolted to the second story top plate. The builder wanted it to withstand a tornado. Since it was never hit by a tornado, we don't know if his design was adequate.
    When we lived outside of Baton Rouge I build a storage shed to double as a tornado/hurricane shelter. The slab was 8" at the thinnest, 18" at the outside, with rebar running up to bolts holding the roof down. That sucker is still there.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

http://thesilicongraybeard.blogspot....t-case-to.html

Wednesday, October 10, 2018
    Hurricane Michael As A Worst Case To Consider

Some time during the mid '80s or early '90s, after Mrs. Graybeard and I had moved into this house, the newspaper we got at the time (The Orlando Sentinel) published an article on a county Emergency Operations Center planning event. The scenario was designed to tax the area's ability to respond to a worst case hurricane. The scenario had the storm coming into central Florida from the east over open Atlantic to maintain strength the most until impact. Then (IIRC) the storm slowed to a stop far enough off the coast to start lashing us with hurricane force winds while the hurricane intensified over the warm Gulf stream to chart-topping strength. I think it intensified to a category 5 hurricane then came ashore slowly crossing the state east to west in the middle.

The projected destruction was mind blowing. Virtually nothing along the barrier island - what locals call "beach side" - survives a direct hit from a Cat 5 hurricane. Very little within 10 miles of the coast survives. Even very few of the buildings and launch structures on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and the Kennedy Space Center were said to be able to survive a category 5 storm with a 15-20 foot storm surge. I thought that blockhouses designed to survive an exploding rocket falling on them would laugh off a little 160 mph wind; the EOC said otherwise. Or said they didn't do well under 15 feet of water.

Long time readers might recall we caught a lucky break with Hurricane Matthew two years ago and had only tropical storm force conditions. We had a Cat 1 storm conditions with Irma going up the other side of the state last year. Before that, we had hits from Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne in 2004 (a few weeks apart) and Erin in 1995. Going back to childhood, I lived through Cleo, Betsey and Donna. Over the years, we've had more tropical storms than I recall because they're not really worth counting. So I claim some level of "cred" when it comes to these storms.

Today's Michael is the worst case I can recall. The thing only got named on Sunday the 7th, three days ago! Yeah, the precursors were there a few days longer, but only us weather geeks who check the tropical weather every morning know that. The vast majority of people who got hammered today probably heard about it on Monday. Or yesterday. They either heard "evacuate NOW" or "your preparations must be rushed to completion. Tuesday evening was too late. This morning the storm was starting and it was way too late. Then the storm did the worst thing it could possibly due, it explosively intensified right up to the moment of landfall. Early reports are calling it Category 4 with winds at 155, which is 2mph below the low end of Cat 5, and the third lowest central pressure in history. It's truly a storm for the record books.

Yesterday, it was still a category 2 and then cat 3 storm until as late as 11PM (bottom of that page) with 125 mph winds. Just 14 hours later the winds were 155. Wind damage scales as wind speed squared, so the factor is 155^2/125^2, over 1.5 times as strong in 14 hours.

When I look at storms like this, I try to figure out what I can learn from it. Would I stay or would I go?

The storm surge reports I've seen have been 9 feet or less, compared to forecasts of 12 feet. Most of that is due to the shape of the gulf bottom helping the winds pile up the water along the shores of the panhandle east of Apalachicola. One of the reasons I bought this house is that we drove around looking for neighborhoods that don't flood. We're high enough above sea level that it would take much more storm surge to reach us. Facing a cat 2 storm that everyone was saying should make 3, I would have stayed. If I was on the beach a couple of feet above sea level looking at a storm surge higher than my house? Aside from the fact I wouldn't live there, yeah, I'd get out.

What if I had known it would make it to the cusp of Cat 5? I don't think I could have known that in time, because we would have needed to be out by Tuesday evening. I probably would have stayed until this morning when it was too late to go and treated it more like something serious. Maybe camp out in an inner hallway with a mattress in case the roof leaves.

Posted by SiGraybeard at 9:56 PM 15 comments: Links to this post
    Labels: Events, life, Me

Driving home from work in central North Carolina: trees down blocking road. One smashed a house in two. All street lights out. House and surrounding area lost power around 4pm. Cell service didn’t work until power was restored at 10pm. Nearby dam overflowing and has closed an entire subdivision at it’s spillway. Oh and where the tree is blocking the road with the power lines.. the same place lost another tree during Florence two weeks ago!
    Attached Images