Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

Envr Giant Icelandic volcano is 'about to erupt' on scale that dwarfs explosion which halted air travel across
+ Reply to Thread

Giant Icelandic volcano is 'about to erupt' on scale that dwarfs explosion which halted air travel across

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...avel-2010.html
    (fair use applies)

Giant Icelandic volcano is 'about to erupt' on scale that dwarfs explosion which halted air travel across Europe
    By Leigh Mcmanus
    Published: 11:03 EDT, 23 September 2018 | Updated: 12:37 EDT, 23 September 2018
    • Scientists have warned that Katla is showing clear signs it's going to blow
    • Katla is a close neighbour to Eyjafjallajokull that erupted devastatingly in 2010
    • British and Icelandic scientists say Katla is releasing C02 on a 'huge' scale

A giant and 'highly hazardous' volcano in Iceland is showing signs that it could erupt on a scale that dwarfs the explosion that disrupted worldwide air travel eight years ago.

Scientists have warned that Katla, a close neighbour to Eyjafjallajokull that erupted in 2010, is showing clear signs it's going to blow for the first time since 1918 and it's not a matter of if, but when.

Katla's cone is hidden beneath a glacier on a 5,000ft peak, making monitoring its activity difficult but Icelandic and British scientists have found by airborne measurement techniques that Katla is releasing carbon dioxide on a 'huge' scale.

This sort of activity indicates its magma chambers are filling and could signal a huge eruption.

Sarah Barsotti, co-ordinator for volcanic hazards at the Icelandic Meteorological Office, told The Sunday Times: 'There is no way of telling when it will erupt, just that it will.'

The translation of Katla is 'kettle' or 'boiler' and its 'overdue' eruption is likely to overshadow the eruption of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano in 2010, which led to thousands of passengers being stranded as the ash plume from the volcano halted air traffic across all of Europe, with a domino effect across the world.

Barsotti said the impact of the eruption on air travel 'depends on the intensity of the eruption and the direction of the winds at the time'.

Evgenia Ilyinskaya, a research fellow in the Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics at Leeds University, said an eruption is overdue with Katla having previously erupted every 50 years on average pre-1918 when it last blew its top completely.

Ilyinskaya and her fellow scientists — whose report in to the volcano was published last week in the journal Geophysical Research Letters — found that Katla was releasing between 12 and 24 kilotons of carbon dioxide every day.

Only two other volcanoes in the world are known to emit more.

'Through high-precision airborne measurements and atmospheric dispersion modelling, we show that Katla, a highly hazardous subglacial volcano which last erupted 100 years ago, is one of the largest volcanic sources of CO2 on Earth, releasing up to 5% of total global volcanic emissions,' they wrote.

Ilyinskaya told The Sunday Times that the CO2 emissions from Katla were 'huge'. Because the magna would meet a 3,000ft-thick icecap, built up since it last erupted, even a small eruption was likely to cause a larger ash plume than Eyjafjallajokull's in 2010, she added.

Ilyinskaya added that emissions increase well before eruptions, sometimes a matter of years, and we know this from studies on other huge volcanoes in Hawaii and Alaska.

Last week she told the Icelandic national broadcasting service that the volume of CO2 indicated significant activity that could not be explained by normal geothermal activity.

She said: 'There must also be a magma build-up to release this quantity of gas.

'This is a clear sign we need to keep a close eye on Katla. She isn't just doing nothing, and these findings confirm that there is something going on.'

Ilyinskaya and her team said that more studies were needed to confirm whether the amount of magma was increasing over time.

Thanks, I almost posted this on the main but since the volcano hasn't gone off yet this is probably a better place for it.

I asked my kitty Katla (named for the volcano) what she thought (we do this as a family joke nearly every day) and she said her usual "mew" or "purr" or nudged to be petted.

But seriously this has been expected for the last few years because historically when Mt. Unpronounceable goes off, Katla erupts sometime later and 10 years isn't much time when we are talking about things like volcanic eruptions that may be connected.

There are strong indications scientifically that all or most of the volcanoes in Iceland are connected underground and that some share the same magma chamber and these two are thought to do so (or have connecting ones).

We were all really watching Katla after the original eruption that trapped my husband in New Jersey for a week; that was how our kitty got her name but most people kind of took their eye of the ball when it didn't happen in three years which is the more usual time period between one setting the other one off.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Well, get AlGWhore right on that! Katla is clearly violating the Paris accord on CO2 emissions! Arrest that volcano!

Summerthyme and

In my own little corner, in my own little world
    I have family coming in from Iceland on Wednesday for my son's wedding this coming weekend. I hope it waits until after that and that they're going to be able to get home the week after!!

I would be far more concerned about ash and sulfur emissions.

CO 2 is plant food.

von Koehler
    Fad saol agat, gob fliuch, agus bás in Éirinn!

Christianity is the estranged descendent of a bizarre Jewish apocalyptic cult.

Kein Krieg für Israel!

Wish The Fat Man was still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    We had hoped that Katla would actually be able to do some of this but while she is the cutest and most wonderful of dainty little cats; her psychic abilities appear to be that of a doorknob.

I do have other kitties with "some woo" talents but not in the same directions as Fat Man (sadly) I mean I have a couple that will sneak into readings if someone is hurting and sit on them quietly (or beside them) and the dogs always let loose when a storm is coming (woo-woo-woo says the Mala-woolfie) but Fatman is greatly missed.

Sorry for the woo gang; but animals are being studied in terms of volcanoes and Earthquakes; I am not sure that most of what they do is psychic (it probably is sometimes) but rather they can feel and hear things we can't.

We are close enough to Iceland that last time we did get ash on our garden pond and you could see the ash on the horizon so it is possibly my one remaining Icelandic horse might pick up on something but I probably would hear it on the news before I realized just why he was restless and acting strangely.

He's gelded but doesn't know it, so usually, we would attribute it to a mare nearby in heat rather than Katla or Latki about to blow.

I am keeping an eye on this story, because not only could it affect weather world wide, it could affect my family right here at home.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by summerthyme View Post
    Well, get AlGWhore right on that! Katla is clearly violating the Paris accord on CO2 emissions! Arrest that volcano!

Summerthyme and
    We need to fine the people of Iceland for allowing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    I am keeping an eye on this story, because not only could it affect weather world wide, it could affect my family right here at home.
    Will keep an eye out too. It could be years before it erupts. Volcanoes move in slow time thankfully. Their 'day' could be 3 years of human time. Sort of like the biblical days. So a few days out for a volcano could mean a decade for us.

HD

Quote Originally Posted by Heliobas Disciple View Post
    Will keep an eye out too. It could be years before it erupts. Volcanoes move in slow time thankfully. Their 'day' could be 3 years of human time. Sort of like the biblical days. So a few days out for a volcano could mean a decade for us.

HD
    Iceland does have good historical records going back a thousand years and Scientific Ice Cores going a lot further back than that; and I gather that USUALLY (but not always) Katla tends to erupt about 3 to 10 years after Mt. Unpronounceable (unless you are my husband or an Icelander) except occasionally when the pattern doesn't happen.

But that is an "average" pattern, with volcanoes nothing is a sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroe View Post
    Sorry, and I've got nothing for you right now.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.