Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

TRANS Truck deliveries not showing up; I don't think its because of the hurricane.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Truck deliveries not showing up; I don't think its because of the hurricane.

Over a week ago I was at the post office and a woman was asking about a delivery and the post office worker said that the expected drop off didn't happen. The truck hadn't shown up. My wife went to the grocery store last week to get milk. They were low on milk and my wife found out that a milk delivery truck didn't show up on its usual day. Today I was at a store that is kinda like a cross between a dollar store and a Walmart in Georgia. I asked a worker if they had any plastic cups. He showed me where they were and there was only one sleeve left. He said that their usual delivery truck didn't show up. Alarm bells went off and I asked why. He said that there is some new law that drivers can only drive 12 hours and then they have to rest. He says that if they have 3 stops and get stuck in Atlanta traffic, they may not make it to their final delivery inside of the 12 hours.

Is this true? If so, it would explain all the truck delivery no-shows. A trucker shortage plus this is going to throw a wrench in just in time delivery.
    The Social Security number is a bigger threat to Liberty than Communism or ISIS.
    Isn't it strange that we don't require our policemen to attend law school?

some new law that drivers can only drive 12 hours and then they have to rest

Just the government, looking out for our safety.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Talked to a Trucking Company owner a couple of weeks back. There is a HUGE truck driver shortage....ON GOOD QUALIFIED DRIVERS. He said the schools were pushing them through as quickly as possible but most of the new drivers weren't worth putting behind the wheel of a big rig.

As to the limitation on driving time. That's TOTALLY TRUE! All non-local (rigs that cross state lines) are now required to have an automated driving log system. Apparently, there is no way to sneak around it and cheat. From what I was told, if they drive over the time limit the system AUTOMATICALLY fines the driver.

So when their time is up....for whatever reason. They have to shut down whether or not they've completed their run.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMan View Post
    Talked to a Trucking Company owner a couple of weeks back. There is a HUGE truck driver shortage....ON GOOD QUALIFIED DRIVERS. He said the schools were pushing them through as quickly as possible but most of the new drivers weren't worth putting behind the wheel of a big rig.

As to the limitation on driving time. That's TOTALLY TRUE! All non-local (rigs that cross state lines) are now required to have an automated driving log system. Apparently, there is no way to sneak around it and cheat. From what I was told, if they drive over the time limit the system AUTOMATICALLY fines the driver.

So when their time is up....for whatever reason. They have to shut down whether or not they've completed their run.
    I could see how that could cause problems for guys that drive refrigerated semis.
    The Social Security number is a bigger threat to Liberty than Communism or ISIS.

I could see how that could cause problems for guys that drive refrigerated semis.

Team drivers can handle that - at more expense of course.
    The wonder of our time isnít how angry we are at politics and politicians; itís how little weíve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post

yes because you would have one person sitting in a seat getting paid but not doing anything.

I don't understand why this would mean no-shows, though. It seems to me, it would just make the shipment late. For example, if the truck driver had a load of toilet paper to deliver but had to stop due to the deadline, wouldn't he just rest, and then afterwards, complete the delivery? He wouldn't rest and turn around and take the toilet paper back to where it was shipped from. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Krayola View Post
    I don't understand why this would mean no-shows, though. It seems to me, it would just make the shipment late. For example, if the truck driver had a load of toilet paper to deliver but had to stop due to the deadline, wouldn't he just rest, and then afterwards, complete the delivery? He wouldn't rest and turn around and take the toilet paper back to where it was shipped from. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
    They didn't show up on the day they normally do. They may have shown up the next day.

I believe the law has been on the books for years now. Just better enforcement. That is part of the reason for the rise in large parking lots at truck stops - and new truck stops in general on back highways even - the greater need for parking in between the heaviest delivery areas. We have always needed them, but you didn't see them in towns of a couple K population because they'd overnight at their destination just another hour or two down the road. Now, do that and you run the risk mentioned, an automatic fine from your GPS and clock logger.

RR
    Survival and Austere Medicine: An Introduction - 2nd and 3rd Editions Contributing author and editor

Get your FREE copy of the 3rd edition here:NNPG Download Site

Reddit AustereMedicine/

The driver's hours of service regs were changed years ago, 2013? I think. Maximum driving time in a day is 11 hours, but only a combined total of 14 hrs per day. (Includes all breaks, loading/unloading, sitting in traffic, etc) The driver is then required to take a 10 hour break. Then there's the 70 hr rule, once you hit 70 hours total, in a work week, the driver is required to shut down for 3 days (34 hrs)

That and the problem of finding competent drug free drivers, causes such delays.

I wonder why the guy at the store told me the law changed Jan 1? Maybe the disruptions have more to do with the shortage of truckers? Trucker's guide to hours of service:

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcs...202015_508.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post

Many trucking companies are advertising for husband and wife driver teams for this very reason.

I have seen 'drivers wanted' on the backs of trucks for years. Nothing new there except it is just now starting to bite. Odd how that works.

BTW, brother tells me that local trade school is recruiting girls for welding courses. Not enough boys are signing up to fill a class.

We are doomed.
    "The misfortune of many is the consolation of fools" Ancient proverb

Quote Originally Posted by changed View Post
    I wonder why the guy at the store told me the law changed Jan 1? Maybe the disruptions have more to do with the shortage of truckers? Trucker's guide to hours of service:

The law didn't change.....when it began ENFORCEMENT did.

I'm not a trucker but I know there are ways drivers could "Cook the Books" (driver's log books) in order to Not Get Tickets and Fined and yet Still Get The Job Done, all at the same time. Apparently there was a lot of CHEATING going on pretty routinely. Only now there's no way (at present) to "cook the books" around this new mandatory automated system.........yet.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

Truck dispatching is going to go from an art to a science. Like Fed Ex (or somebody) that has their delivery truck routes laid out to do only right turns.

It's not a new law. Commercial driver "hours of service" laws have been around for a VERY long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Troke View Post
    Truck dispatching is going to go from an art to a science. Like Fed Ex (or somebody) that has their delivery truck routes laid out to do only right turns.

I see dedicated truck routes coming back into play. Each district operating in one area. Long haul trucking, by single owner-operators, is coming to an end.

I have seen 'drivers wanted' on the backs of trucks for years. Nothing new there except it is just now starting to bite. Odd how that works.

BTW, brother tells me that local trade school is recruiting girls for welding courses. Not enough boys are signing up to fill a class.

We are doomed.
    Who do you think did all the welding and heavy lifting during WWII? Who do you think drove the forklifts and big trucks during WWII? Women. Remember Rosey the Riveter? /just saying
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

The cooling continues, they have a small engine to run the compressor itself, even if it is sitting unattached to a truck.
    "...Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the cats of war..."
    Razor sharpening while you wait - Occam
    If it works, it doesn't have enough features. - Windows 10 design philosophy.
    Forget the beer, I'm just here for the doom!
    Humans, just a tool for amino acids to make Swiss watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    Who do you think did all the welding and heavy lifting during WWII? Who do you think drove the forklifts and big trucks during WWII? Women. Remember Rosey the Riveter? /just saying
    Oh no, Bardou, can't have women driving big trucks.........or welding. Or any man-type job.......lol.

Women have been long haul drivers for years. Nothing new or wrong with that. I would guess that they just aren't getting paid enough money to do it anymore. Or some other reason.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

My daughter is a very good welder. She's also certified for forklift & man lift operation.
    And I run a bobcat around here, Troke. Competently.

So........... wanna try again?

this has been going on for about a month or so. It is really affecting us at work. We get daily deliveries from Georgia, which used to get here in 1 day because they sent 2 drivers per truck so they didn't have to stop after 10 hours. Now with the driver shortage, only one per truck, which adds an extra day. And things that come from across the country that used to get here in 3 days, now take 6

Quote Originally Posted by closet squirrel View Post
    this has been going on for about a month or so. It is really affecting us at work. We get daily deliveries from Georgia, which used to get here in 1 day because they sent 2 drivers per truck so they didn't have to stop after 10 hours. Now with the driver shortage, only one per truck, which adds an extra day. And things that come from across the country that used to get here in 3 days, now take 6
    Thanks for the update and confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacajawea View Post
    My daughter is a very good welder. She's also certified for forklift & man lift operation.
    And I run a bobcat around here, Troke. Competently.

So........... wanna try again?
    One more time. I am not exercised over girls going into welding. I have personally known one woman that was pretty good. What I am really exercised is over boys not going.

Same with auto mechanics. Shortage of boys.

Something is going on. What?

Just like any industry, if you pay people crap and treat them like crap. You're going to have a hard time finding qualified employees.

Quote Originally Posted by naturallysweet View Post
    Just like any industry, if you pay people crap and treat them like crap. You're going to have a hard time finding qualified employees.
    For years, that was true of truck drivers so there is no surprise that there is a shortage. But in my experience, good welders could always make a good living. Also diesel mechanics. Yet there is a shortage there also. In fact, my brothers tell me some of the trade schools cut that program because there were no takers. I guess they never thought to recruit women.

One more time. I am not exercised over girls going into welding. I have personally known one woman that was pretty good. What I am really exercised is over boys not going.

Same thing with college. Male enrollment way down.

I've had a bunch of stuff delivered this week - no problem. And that included a shipment of chicks from Iowa that only took two days....I was expecting four.

Same thing with college. Male enrollment way down.
    Maybe there is an actual shortage of boys. We had three boys, six girls. For grandchildren, we have seven boys, 14 girls.
    We got a trend going there?

I used to work at a co. back in Illinois in the late 1960's. Almost all of our best welders were women.

Welding is hard work, that requires one to get dirty, to show up on time/personal responsibility, to pass various certs and licensing tests, and to remain mostly drug and alcohol free.

Auto mechanics is hard work, that requires one to get dirty, to show up on time/personal responsibility, to pass various certs and licensing tests, and to remain mostly drug and alcohol free.

THAT is what is going on.

Any other questions?

intothegoodnight
    "Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

ó Dylan Thomas, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"

Quote Originally Posted by intothatgoodnight View Post
    Welding is hard work, that requires one to get dirty, to show up on time/personal responsibility, to pass various certs and licensing tests, and to remain mostly drug and alcohol free.

Auto mechanics is hard work, that requires one to get dirty, to show up on time/personal responsibility, to pass various certs and licensing tests, and to remain mostly drug and alcohol free.

Any other questions?

intothegoodnight
    WHAAAAAAT?

You can't do those things with a mouse & keyboard...or game controller?

Get dirty?

Leave the basement?

Oh, the horror?
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by intothatgoodnight View Post

Any other questions?

intothegoodnight
    I am afraid you are right, but even then, welders and & mechanics are surely a very small portion of the population. So to be unable to recruit even that small number from the greater mass... some is surely wrong.

Talked to a Master Electrician last summer, he my age, son is working in their little family company, grandson also, could work 12 hrs a day, seven days a week. Been trying to get some apprentices. Not much luck. They have no idea what a screwdriver does and they don't last long.

I am afraid you are right, but even then, welders and & mechanics are surely a very small portion of the population. So to be unable to recruit even that small number from the greater mass... some is surely wrong.

Talked to a Master Electrician last summer, he my age, son is working in their little family company, grandson also, could work 12 hrs a day, seven days a week. Been trying to get some apprentices. Not much luck. They have no idea what a screwdriver does and they don't last long.
    Yup.

A general aptitude is necessary in trade careers - either you have it, or, you don't.

Developing an interest in working with one's hands starts EARLY for a child, nurtured by older family members/siblings/neighbors who act as mentors and teachers.

And, then, there is the "necessity-is-the-mother-of-invention" line of learning - by-and-large, today's suburban kids have not a clue, and never had the motivation to "get one." Everything is essentially "pre-canned" in their suburban experience, requiring little personal involvement other than picking up the phone to call in a repair on some of the simplest tasks.

And, of course, our culture does not "respect" those who work with their hands, like they do the Ivy grad white-collar professional - this has always been true - leading the parents to push the children to obtain/maintain good grades, so that they will be "qualified" to attend a name-brand college/university seeking a desk-job/bureacrat-type degree (and accumulate lots of student loan debt - how STUPID is that?).

The changes necessary must start with our culture, and the lesser attitudes we hold towards folks who work in the trades. Everything else falls in line, behind this key change.

intothegoodnight
    "Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

ó Dylan Thomas, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"

Here's the thing. All these fancy degrees are B.S. If you can't create something viable, necessary for survival then they are worthless! Think about your basic necessities for survival. If that skill is not absolutely necessary then it is redundant and unnecessary.

When things are down driven to the basics it's easy to figure out what is REALLY important to survive and live well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardou View Post
    You DO know she quit two weeks after that photo was taken, right?

Just sayin.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...riveter/69268/

yes because you would have one person sitting in a seat getting paid but not doing anything.
    False! One is in the sleeper getting the required 10 hours off and the other is driving. The problem with the no shows (service failures) is that the shippers get delayed so the driver is delayed. The 12 hour rule for local drivers has been that way since the 1970's.

The ELD Electronic Log Device does not "fine" a driver, it records the time electronically instead of on paper. Many owner operators like the new ELD rule because now they can get better loads from the brokers where before the cheaters and false loggers would take the better paying loads and lie on their log books or keep multiple books and drive 20 hours instead of 11 hours. The D.O.T. scales can read the ELD at the facility and some can read them via wifi in the system.

The "schools" and companies who train "truck drivers" have been running diploma mills and a majority of the "graduates" are unskilled and useless. Several offer that one can get their CDL (Commercial Drivers License) in TWO WEEKS!! Most good schools are 8-12 weeks to prepare for the companies who train graduates for at least 4 weeks before turning them loose as solo drivers.

18 years and I am still learning to drive and will always be a student driver, or I will park it and walk away.
    "Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference." Gladius Republicae!
    "...use gold like it's gunpowder..."

Train and be ready, for that day will come!

Jan. 1 2017 Federal Law required all commercial vehicles like big rigs to have the ELD.
    "Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference." Gladius Republicae!
    "...use gold like it's gunpowder..."

Train and be ready, for that day will come!

I can say the same thing. It's been over the last year or so. But I can rarely get all my grocery shopping done in one trip because stuff isn't there. The thing I find strange is, going by sound, the interstate near my home is constantly 24 hours a day, running trucks. Lived here for 2 decades and I'm aware trucks use the interstate highway 24 hours a day. But the tractor trailer noise is constant last 2 years or so. If you ask me, there's way more trucks on the road nowadays. Or maybe it's just more going between Boston and Quebec.

Quote Originally Posted by Voortrekker View Post
    False! One is in the sleeper getting the required 10 hours off and the other is driving. The problem with the no shows (service failures) is that the shippers get delayed so the driver is delayed. The 12 hour rule for local drivers has been that way since the 1970's.

The ELD Electronic Log Device does not "fine" a driver, it records the time electronically instead of on paper. Many owner operators like the new ELD rule because now they can get better loads from the brokers where before the cheaters and false loggers would take the better paying loads and lie on their log books or keep multiple books and drive 20 hours instead of 11 hours. The D.O.T. scales can read the ELD at the facility and some can read them via wifi in the system.

The "schools" and companies who train "truck drivers" have been running diploma mills and a majority of the "graduates" are unskilled and useless. Several offer that one can get their CDL (Commercial Drivers License) in TWO WEEKS!! Most good schools are 8-12 weeks to prepare for the companies who train graduates for at least 4 weeks before turning them loose as solo drivers.

18 years and I am still learning to drive and will always be a student driver, or I will park it and walk away.

I know UPS has hired extra people to ride in the delivery trucks so that they could use the HOV lanes. When they come to a stop they help unload, otherwise they are just sitting there riding around.