Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HELP Can Anyone ID This Snake?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can Anyone ID This Snake?

Found in the Des Moines, Iowa area.

RR
    Survival and Austere Medicine: An Introduction - 2nd and 3rd Editions Contributing author and editor

Get your FREE copy of the 3rd edition here:NNPG Download Site

Reddit AustereMedicine/

hmmmm. looks vaguely like a former president.
    ++++++++++++++++++++
    There is Only Jesus--no other worthy of honors or prayers or devotion. There is No Other.

Cannabis Medicine Recipes For Cancer And More http://cannacancerblog.wordpress.com

Hard to see on my monitor.
    Eye set? Are they on the side of the head, or more on top?
    Looks vaguely like a watersnake in the neroida (spell?) group (genus?), but the eyes would be more on top.
    Otherwise, perhaps a fox snake?.
    Rat snake is always a possible choice, although a broad category, depending on the taxonomic classification one follows.
    Pittuophis (bull snake, and others) is unlikely, but again, hard to see in that pic. I'm going mostly by markings for that opinion. The pits tend to have more of a ring pattern.
    NOT seeing kingsnake. The triangular head is wrong.

One thing I've learned, there are a LOT more snakes out there than I am familiar with, and snapshot ID's are esp. risky.

Looks like a copperhead, but not quite sure, since I can't see the neck.

My bet is a bull snake but like others said, we need better pics.

Hard to tell from the picture, does it have round eyes? Looks like a Southern Water Snake.

Looks young. Corn snakes can have that dusky coloration when young. They also frequently have a decorative shield or trident sort of shape on the top of the head.
    Corn snakes in IA? Not sure, I associate them with the South - unless it is someone's escaped pet.

Juvenile western rat snake....?
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

it's live. => BAD SNAKE.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

Sorry, only pic I have. Apparently was seen next to my son's house. Thought the vaguely triangular head was 'interesting' but the tail is quite clear - no rattles. Wrong coloration for a copperhead, and we don't have them in Iowa anyhow.

RR
    Survival and Austere Medicine: An Introduction - 2nd and 3rd Editions Contributing author and editor

Reddit AustereMedicine/

OK. So much for bad humor.

I REALLY don't like arrow heads on snakes... Nice round/ovoid heads, no problem. Arrow heads mean poisonous to ME....

But I am an acknowledged pussy in certain environs.
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

I'll go with a ground rattler...

Here's an example...
    Attached Images
    You say "trigger-happy cowboy" as if it were a bad thing.

"If they come a'huntin' me; they can consider themselves lucky if they*don't* find me!"

No surrender; no retreat!

If we fight, victory is not certain. If we do not fight, defeat surely is.

Oh and ground rattlers don't have rattles...
    You say "trigger-happy cowboy" as if it were a bad thing.

"If they come a'huntin' me; they can consider themselves lucky if they*don't* find me!"

No surrender; no retreat!

If we fight, victory is not certain. If we do not fight, defeat surely is.

Quote Originally Posted by Reasonable Rascal View Post

RR

This is my best guess based on the photo. Would like a better look at the head to be sure, but this seems to match your picture. Hope that helps. As far as I'm concerned.....ALL SNAKES ARE POISONOUS until PROVEN otherwise.....just to be safe.

Northern Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon)

Description: 24 - 44 inches. Northern Water Snakes are gray to brown, with darker brown, reddish-brown, or black bands near the head that become blotches as you move down the body towards the tail. The pattern on adults may fade making it look solid black or brown. The belly is light colored with a combination of red and black markings that become darker near the tail. Some Northern Water Snakes may have a yellow or orange coloring on the belly with or without the red and black markings.

Similar Species: Copperbelly Water Snakes have no markings on the belly, and are usually completely patternless as adults. Diamondback Water Snakes do not have bands near the head, and retain their pattern as adults.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long....We can now do anything, with nothing, forever.

Sorry, only pic I have. Apparently was seen next to my son's house. Thought the vaguely triangular head was 'interesting' but the tail is quite clear - no rattles. Wrong coloration for a copperhead, and we don't have them in Iowa anyhow.

RR
    You can "Google" copperheads, and it shows that they have a variety of colors. One that is the same color and distinct markings of the one in your OP. Since no copperheads are found in Iowa, I have no clue, though, as to what it might be.

Thanks Cappy. I was going to mention that rattlesnakes don't always have rattles. Looks like a rattler to me.

Looks like Joe.

Are you sure that's not Hillary Clinton in drag??????

here is a bull snake, common in Iowa
    Attached Images

It looks like a Fox snake. The bands near the center and the tail are not a complete ring.

Look at the third picture in the top row of pictures in this link, looks a lot like a rat snake. Link is to a site for reptiles found in Iowa

https://www.iowaherps.com/species/pa...phis_obsoletus

I was actually expecting a photo of Ruth Bader Ginsberg.
    The people of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. Abraham Lincoln, 1859

I agree with ND......
    Live snake= bad snake...................... especially with that triangular head........

My advice is to kill on sight. Snake shot in a .357 or .45 works well......... Or a hoe or shovel to dehead it....

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

One that wouldn't be breathing much longer if it was around here.

The head shape makes me think poisonous.

We Southerners take snakes very seriously.

the triangular shape of the head is - shall we say - "worrisome" . . .
    “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” REV 3:16

Raging Deplorable - we do NOT forget; we do NOT forgive; we are LEGION

RR
    The triangular or a spade shaped head means it is venomous.

RR
    Gopher snake? Looks like the ones we have here in CA.

People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by WestGardener View Post
    The triangular or a spade shaped head means it is venomous.
    Not always.
    The Pitts will flatten the head to look more menacing, and the snake in the pic looks defensive.

Bogertophis subocularis (spell?) - sorry, can't remember regular name right now, has a naturally triangle shaped head on a slender neck, and is puppy dog easy going.

Even the corn has a bit of a triangle, and depending on camera angle and markings, could look more pronounced.
    Last edited by Faroe; 09-13-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Not a gopher, IMHO.
    Markings along the sides over the back don't match up.
    Good triangle head, however.

Love the gophers.

RR
    Do you want some? We have more than we need in Kentucky.
    AKA bobinky, just an old coot livin' on a hillside in Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Looks like Joe.

I was gonna say Bob. I can positively ID him as Bob. He got carded the other night.

......A snake walks into a bar.

The bartender says "How the **** did you do that?"
    "Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we will all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."
    Dumbledore to Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire.

Luke 21:36

A people who no longer recognize sin and evil, are not a people who will recognize tyranny and despotism either. Invar

RR
    Adam Schiff, for two hundred, Alex!

OldARcher
    Romans 10:8-10 (ESV)
    8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

The hognose snake has a somewhat triangular shaped head but is rear fanged and not usually hazardous to humans.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto

Quote Originally Posted by greenhart View Post
    Do you want some? We have more than we need in Kentucky.
    After reading Goatlady's (you might remember her from here) account of being bitten I'll pass. A friend down in southern MO was bitten in his basement last year. They have plenty down there on their retreat. Good place to carry when out and about.

RR

Reddit AustereMedicine/

Deleted
    "Apres la Guerre."

Two rows of subcaudal scales, or just one?

Definitely venomous. Copperhead ?
    "Apres la Guerre."

https://www.virginiaherpetologicalso...copperhead.htm

The above link is a good compare and contrast for common snakes and the copperhead. One thing they emph, and it is in all the photos, as a plain top of the head with two dots. The snake in the OP doesn't match that. Also, while hard to tell for sure, the snake in the OP doesn't appear to have a thicker middle like the copperhead.

Possibly the rare North American Rattle Headed Copper Moccasin.