Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WEATHER Hurricane Florence landfall in North Carolina, (Now Cat 2, Sept 13 am)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Out here in the Appalachian boonies, the older folks were out IN FORCE at the grocery store. I decided to "fill in some holes" today, as I have a lot to do the rest of the week, depending on future updates about inland tracks.

They've already weathered being flooded in/out and no power more than once this summer and whether it's intuition or what, they're not taking any chances of going without. Store was PACKED, like Kitty Hawk would be right now.

Chief - they may suggest that locals evac along with tourists, but until the shelters are open - there's no place to go. More locals will decide to leave, if Flo maintains this intensity - no doubt.

This is my source for all things Atlantic/Caribbean tropical weather oriented this time of year:

http://www.bearpawsweather.com/tropical/
    pragmatic. eclectic. realistic. vivere paratus: fortune favors the prepared

the BIBLE: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth! read it yourself. live it. love it.

it is what it is.........but it will become what you make of it

Someone might want to change the title to reflect Florence's Cat IV status.
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post
    Oh yes they can---especially with warm water temps (as we now have in the Atlantic--news just said 85 degrees).

That's how we got Hugo...
    Man Hugo pounded Charleston SC!!!! I mean f@#$%&- bad!
    Recently a friend told me I am delusional, I almost fell off my Unicorn!

Coastal Evac Ordered
    Turning the Hurricane Evac Routes WestBound Only

Mandatory evacuation order given for all South Carolina coastal zones; all lanes of Highway 501 and I-26 will carry westbound traffic
    CBS 17 staff·just now

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) - Gov. Roy Cooper has asked the president for a disaster declaration ahead of Hurricane Florence's landfall.

Get the latest Hurricane Florence forecast

The now-Category 3 hurricane is forecast to come ashore along the North or South Carolina coast as a Category 4 storm late Thursday into Friday.

"North Carolina is no stranger to hurricanes. We are a resilient state. Storms and heavy wind and rain can affect the entire state," Cooper said.

The governor previously declared a state of emergency ahead of Florence to help the flow of resources. That declaration also put the state's price gouging law into effect.

Attorney General Josh Stein asks anyone to report potential price gouging by calling 1-877-5-NO-SCAM or file a complaint at www.ncdoj.gov .

"We have a couple of days to get ready. Use that time," Cooper said.

A FEMA administrator is in the state ahead of Florence.

Cooper's request for a federal disaster declaration is an effort to have more resources available across the state.

Just before Cooper made his comments, Dare County issued a mandatory evacuation order for all visitors and residents of Hatteras starting at noon Monday and the rest of Dare County at 7 a.m. Tuesday.

Brunswick County issued a mandatory evacuation for residents in low-lying and flood-prone areas, or in mobile or substandard homes which takes effect 7 a.m. Tuesday.

A voluntary evacuation will be in effect for other residents.

In South Carolina, Gov. Henry McMaster ordered a mandatory evacuation for all coastal zones beginning Tuesday at noon.

Eastward-bound lanes of Highway 501 and I-26 will be reversed to expedite the evacuation process.

Currituck County issued an evacuation order for all vacationers and guests in Corolla and Carova beginning Tuesday.

Hyde County officials announced Monday at noon that the county declared a state of emergency for all of Hyde County and a mandatory visitor evacuation of Ocracoke Island due to the threat of Florence.

Dare County Schools will be closed for students and staff Tuesday through the end of the week, the district announced.

Brunswick County Schools will also be closed Tuesday through the end of the week, officials said.

New Hanover County Schools have canceled classes from Sept. 11-14 due to Florence.

East Carolina University announced that classes will be canceled from noon Tuesday through the rest of the week.

UNC-W issued a mandatory evacuation for all students who must leave campus no later than 12 p.m. Tuesday.

Duke Energy and other co-ops are monitoring the storm.

State Emergency Management Director Mike Sprayberry said utility teams are ready to "surge in" after the storm passes.

Despite preparations by power companies, Cooper said families need to be prepared to be without power for "awhile."

Around 6,500 North Carolina National Guard soldiers and airmen are on standby for relief operations.

CBS 17 will update this story as it develops.

Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Tropical Storm Watch issued hours after

Florence noon Monday update

Just got a text from my sister. She works at the local utility,
    and she said that they are getting trucks ready,
    to head to the beach.

I live in The Upstate of South Carolina,
    about all that is expected here is rain,
    and some higher than average winds.

One of the secondary reasons that I moved
    to The Upstate after I retired,
    is the weather. I was living in North Raleigh,
    when Hurricane Fran came through in 1996.
    I saw 100mph winds on my aneometer.

As a prepper, I had much of what was needed,
    large inverter with deep cycle batteries,
    battery powered cooler, and plenty of freeze dried
    foods and snacks, bottle water etc.
    Scanner to monitor the local public service,
    and a high powered 2 meter transceiver,
    for the local repeaters.

I wont forget the sound of the winds,
    seeing the lights flickering and then going out,
    and the sound of the maple tree out in front,
    before it broke in half. A beautiful maple tree,
    and when it broke, it fell against my front door,
    blocking the front door, for about a week.

The one thing that I remember the most,
    about Hurricane Fran in North Raleigh.
    The hundreds of dump trucks carrying away,
    the massive amount of trees,
    that were brought down during the hurricane.

That place was forever changed,
    and it wasnt nothing, compared to what is out
    there in the Gulf Stream right now,
    getting ready to make landfall.

Prayers for everyone, out on the Carolina coasts,
    both North and South.

Please be safe everyone, and please arm up.

AVOID THE GROID

Regards to all deplorables.

Nowski
    "Read everything, listen to everyone, believe absolutely nothing,
    unless you can prove it with your own research." Milton William Cooper

"Life is a glass, half empty, of spoiled milk, sitting in a bed of thorns." Nowski

News is now Comparing this track To the 2 most violent NC hurricanes: Hazel and Huego

Both DESTROYED NC
    Charlotte: pay attention

Mandatory Coastal Evacuation Order Issued For South Carolina
    As long as the mighty stag in the forest is erect and strong, its enemies are held at bay. But at the slightest sign of weakness, the wolves move in for the kill.

^^oh, that's some good doom!
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th
    Molon Labe
    We Must Secure the Existance of Our People and a Future for White Children
    Make America Confederate Again

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreLibs View Post
    ^^oh, that's some good doom!
    Robust maybe, good, no.
    Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death.

The Frigid Times - http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/
    Civil Defense Reborn - http://cdreborn.blogspot.com/
    Believe what you will, but the Russian nuclear threat is far from dead. It ain't even sick. - Brutus

Quote Originally Posted by IceWave View Post
    Coast Guard Auxiliary? Or other group?
    Ham radio volunteers. Plus I received another e-mails about needing Hams to set up comms at the shelters being set up inland. The state disaster coordinator is concerned about the severity of this storm.

From Dr Jeff Masters - NC shoreline vulnerable to high storm surges.

Landfalling Category 4 hurricanes are rare in the mainland U.S., with just 24 such landfalls since 1851—an average of one every seven years. (Category 5 landfalls are rarer still, with just three on record). All but three of these 27 landfalls by Cat4s and Cat5s have occurred south of South Carolina’s latitude; thus, Florence will be in very select company if it manages to make landfall at Category 4 strength in North or South Carolina.

If Florence hits the coast of North or South Carolina as a Category 3 or stronger hurricane, we should expect to see record storm surge heights, with a 15 – 20’ surge very possible, according to two experts I communicated with today. Dr. Robert Young, Professor of Coastal Geology at Western Carolina University, says that “the track of Hurricane Florence, combined with its expected size and strength at landfall and the unique coastal geomorphology of the region, is likely to result in a record storm surge along portions of the warning area.” And according to storm surge expert Dr. Hal Needham, “we could definitely see a 20+ foot storm surge/storm tide in the Carolinas. Even if Florence weakens a bit in the time right before landfall, the surge heights correlate better with the pre-landfall winds than the winds at landfall.”

It’s a good thing that landfalls by such strong hurricanes are rare along the South Carolina and North Carolina coast, since this coastline is extremely vulnerable to high storm surges. Two of these three historical Carolina Category 4 hurricanes generated a storm tide of 18 - 20 feet: Hugo of 1989 and Hazel of 1954. The other storm--Gracie of 1959--did not (it hit at low tide, significantly reducing the coastal flooding). The storm tide is the combination of the storm surge and the normal lunar tide, measured in height above sea level. The National Hurricane Center uses the terminology “height above ground level” when discussing the storm tide, meaning the height the surge plus tide gets above the normal high tide mark.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Ex...torm-Carolinas
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?

Bastardi, Thursday...BAD, BAD, BAD.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Not something I'd want to ride out, at least on the coast.

Cat 1-2, maybe low end 3...but when you are in solid major category, it's gonna be fierce out there.

Take it from someone who lives 20 miles off the Gulf. If you are on the coast, go ahead and pack up and leave. Now.
    "...Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." - Ephesians 5:14-17

Anybody have a good source for online maps that show elevation? Specifically SC

Links for people on the coast or just for people who are interested:

Storm surge maps
    http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Map...4dd7b277935fad

https://cera.coastalrisk.live/#

This link has visable and IR satalites + spaghetti models and Storm Intensity Forecast

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/#06L

This link you can get the new Euro,GFS and other model runs - They update almost right away

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    Bastardi, Thursday...BAD, BAD, BAD.
    Speaking of Bastardi;
    Attached Images

USGS Installing About 160 Storm-Tide Sensors Along North and South Carolina Coasts Before Hurricane Florence Arrives

https://www.usgs.gov/news/usgs-insta...sgsnewshazards

Hurricane response crews from the U.S. Geological Survey are installing storm-tide sensors at key locations along the North and South Carolina coasts in advance of Hurricane Florence. Under a mission assignment from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the USGS plans to deploy about 160 sensors and is consulting with federal and state partners about the need for similar equipment for other areas along the mid-Atlantic coast.

Storm surge is among the most dangerous natural hazards unleashed by hurricanes, with the capacity to destroy homes and businesses, wipe out roads, bridges, water and sewer systems, and profoundly alter coastal landscapes. The USGS has experts on these hazards, state-of-the-science computer models for forecasting coastal change, and sophisticated equipment for monitoring actual flood and tide conditions.

The sensors being installed to measure Hurricane Florence’s storm tide are housed in vented steel pipes a few inches wide and about a foot long. They are being installed on bridges, piers, and other structures that have a good chance of surviving the storm. The information the sensors collect will help define the depth and duration of a storm surge, as well as the time of its arrival and retreat. That information will help public officials assess storm damage, discern between wind and flood damage, and improve computer models used to forecast future floods. Information on the storm-tide sensor deployment and the incoming data will be available on the USGS “Flood Event Viewer” at https://stn.wim.usgs.gov/FEV/#FlorenceSep2018.

In addition to storm-tide sensors, 25 rapid deployment gauges are being installed at critical locations that may be impacted by storm surge or floodwaters, but where the USGS does not have permanent streamgages. The USGS is coordinating with the National Weather Service, FEMA, and state and local agencies to put the rapid deployment gauges in places with the greatest need. These specialized gauges can be quickly installed on bridges to provide real-time information on water levels. They will augment a network of 231 streamgages in North Carolina and 112 streamgages in South Carolina that provide critical information to the National Weather Service, FEMA and other USGS partners involved in issuing flood and evacuation warnings and in coordinating emergency responses to communities.

The USGS studies the impacts of hurricanes and tropical storms to better understand potential impacts on coastal areas. Information provided through the sensor networks provides critical data for more accurate modeling and prediction capabilities and allows for improved structure designs and response for public safety.

I've noticed over the years that Bastardi likes to get ahead of himself with doom predictions (ie, every storm is heading to the most populated area possible until further notice), but this time he just might not be exaggerating...

He expects the Texas coastal bend to see a TS.

A rain event, if nothing else.

Deplorable

If #Florence reaches category five strength (157 mph or stronger), it will be doing so in rare territory. No category five storm has been recorded in the area of its path.

https://twitter.com/RyanBretonWX/sta...23724929699840

water temps

I understand the water temps in front of Florence are 84 degrees Farenheit. Further, nearly all models are showing little steering winds to move it north after it makes landfall. My view is we may be looking at a "perfect storm," type of event here.

One: you will get hurricane force winds at landfall, anywhere from 100 to 150 mph depending on either the GFS or European Model.

Two: you will get dangerous storm surge, again depending on whether landfall happens at high or low tide.

Three: you will get MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF RAIN. This will lead to widespread flooding INLAND.

Four: Florence may hang around, dropping heavy rain, for two to three days before it eventually heads north and out to sea.

In fact, unless things change, even Matt Drudge's usual theatrical ranting may be accurate.

I'm thinking Harvey and Houston.

I'm so glad all I ever dealt with was the eruption of Mount Saint Helen's, and the potential for a 9 plus earthquake along the Cascadia Subduction Zone. Compared to Florence both are nothing much.
    Doomer Doug, a.k.a. Doug McIntosh now has a blog at www.doomerdoug.wordpress.com
    My end of the world e book "Day of the Dogs" is available for sale at the following url
    http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B007BRLFYU

HA! It's been raining here for almost two weeks. I f we get a Tropical Storm, flood prone areas will be in deep doodoo.
    You could almost locate my house by overlaying the tracks of Claudette and Harvey. We are about 40 miles inland and Harvey gave me new respect for Cat 3 storms.
    If there was even a chance of getting hit by a strong three or a four, I'm outa here.

5pm advisory has sustained winds up to 140 mph now. Very well into the Cat IV area.

Forecast discussion

/snip

ZCZC MIATCDAT1 ALL
    TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

Hurricane Florence Discussion Number 46
    NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL062018
    500 PM AST Mon Sep 10 2018

Unfortunately, the models were right. Florence has rapidly
    intensified into an extremely dangerous hurricane, with 30-second
    GOES-16 visible imagery showing well-defined eyewall mesovortices
    rotating inside of the eye. A NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft found
    peak SFMR winds of about 120 kt, with flight-level winds and
    dropsonde measurements also supporting that value for the initial
    wind speed estimate. Notably, the aircraft data also show the size
    of the hurricane-force winds has doubled in the past 12 hours

INIT 10/2100Z 25.4N 61.1W 120 KT 140 MPH
    12H 11/0600Z 26.0N 63.2W 130 KT 150 MPH
    24H 11/1800Z 27.0N 66.2W 135 KT 155 MPH
    36H 12/0600Z 28.6N 69.3W 135 KT 155 MPH
    48H 12/1800Z 30.4N 72.2W 130 KT 150 MPH
    72H 13/1800Z 33.7N 77.0W 120 KT 140 MPH
    96H 14/1800Z 35.6N 78.8W 50 KT 60 MPH...INLAND
    120H 15/1800Z 36.5N 79.5W 25 KT 30 MPH...INLAND

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refres...l/DDHHMM.shtml

/snip

This one will be interesting in the fact that Florence was already a Cat 4 storm back on September 5, lost her punch and then rebounded. Quite a change in a short time. Now I wonder will the dude that rode Harvey out in the carwash in Rockport is headed to SC? He was fun to watch on Periscope along with the comments.

I see it bouncing from 4-cats to 5-cats, strength at landfall is a crapshoot.

The Last NOAA map I saw showed it as a hurricane at about 100ish miles inland.

Get your water-wings out.

Deplorable

I see it bouncing from 4-cats to 5-cats, strength at landfall is a crapshoot.

The Last NOAA map I saw showed it as a hurricane at about 100ish miles inland.

Get your water-wings out.
    Having gone through Harvey, my heart goes out to the East Coast folks.
    Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death.

The Frigid Times - http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/
    Civil Defense Reborn - http://cdreborn.blogspot.com/
    Believe what you will, but the Russian nuclear threat is far from dead. It ain't even sick. - Brutus

This article is from a well-respected meteorologist locally.

Michael

For fair use education/research purposes.

The link: https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/10/d...be-disastrous/ (Go to the article for embedded links)

The article:

Hurricane Florence will be disastrous
    By Don Paul

As of this writing at noon Monday, what had been Tropical Storm Florence on Sunday has been undergoing what is known as rapid intensification and is already classified as a Major Hurricane, at Category 4.

This was just confirmed by a midday hurricane hunter flight. Florence will undoubtedly continue to intensify and maintain at least Category 4 intensity much of the week. (Here is the Saffir-Simpson categorization and damage scale.)

This update shows just how much the ominous threats have grown in likelihood and severity since my more speculative article Thursday.

Most people who have never been directly affected by a hurricane hitting land think first of the wind strength, which is a major component of the devastation from a hurricane. The winds, after all, are the primary driving force behind the destructive and, in this case, likely deadly storm surge. So, keeping in mind intensity forecasts are generally less reliable than track forecasts, let’s look at the likely wind potential from Florence.

First of all, there will be some fluctuations in Florence’s intensity between now and Thursday. At some point, the current eyewall — the most powerful part of the storm — will stop intensifying and will undergo a temporary eyewall replacement cycle. A new eyewall will form outside the old eyewall, as the old eyewall dissipates. During the replacement cycle, the storm will briefly weaken, but after the new eyewall forms, intensification occurs.

This cycle generally occurs only in Major Hurricanes, and it will probably happen at least once. If such a cycle occurred just before landfall, that might produce small-scale mitigation of the storm’s field of destruction. If the storm is moving slowly before landfall, frictional interaction with the land can also reduce intensity to some extent.

After all, that’s what happened with Katrina. Without pre-landfall weakening, Katrina would have been far worse at its original Gulf Category 5 status than at its landfall classification of Category 3.

Florence, overall, is destined to not only strengthen most of its time prior to landfall, but to also develop a larger wind field than it has now. With that size and power, a momentum develops under its wind field, and a storm surge builds that will not suddenly dissipate if the eyewall winds come back “down” to 120 mph at landfall.

Unfortunately, this means there is high confidence Florence will be a truly devastating natural disaster — and there is a further huge complication. Models and ensembles are projecting strong high pressure to build around the outer periphery of Florence as it approaches land. That equates to something of a mountain of denser air that will block the forward progress of Florence, likely slowing it down dramatically or even causing it to stall. If that occurs, the freshwater flooding threat from hours, even days, of torrential rainfall will be nothing less than cataclysmic for some communities both near the coast and probably well inland, anywhere from the Carolinas into Virginia.

At right is the 11 a.m. Monday track forecast from the National Hurricane Center. It has changed very little over the last few days. The track for the storm center can be anywhere within the cone of uncertainty, but the storm surge and flooding impacts can extend far beyond the storm center, especially north and northeast of the eye. The “M” designates Major Hurricane status.

Here is the timing and probability of winds of at least 58 mph, and here is the most likely arrival time for tropical storm force winds.

NHC is forecasting (as of 11 a.m. Monday) top winds of 150 mph at 36 and 48 hours from this writing, similar to their projections over the weekend. That’s only 7 mph shy of Category 5 status, so Category 5 is not out of the question at all.

And the 21 members of the American GFS ensemble can be found here.

You’ll note the only ensemble tracks taking the storm out to sea do so AFTER there has been a landfall, so no solace can be taken there.

The single-run operational GFS has Florence making a landfall as a monster late on Thursday, and then goes on to virtually stall it in place near the NC coastline.

The Canadian model runs 6-12 hours slower with landfall, but also has the near stall scenario.

The European has a destructive landfall, but does allow the storm to move well inland rather than stall.

Finally, an newer experimental model called ICON, from the Max Planck Institute in Europe, has a disastrous landfall, with the hurricane just barely crawling to the north over several days. This track and speed would be a horror for the coastline if realized.

With slow movement, some parts of the region are likely to see up to or in excess of 24 inches of rain, possibly on hilly terrain inland, but the areal average remains fuzzy due to track and forward movement uncertainties.

Central pressure has dropped from 974 millibars at 11 p.m. Sunday night to 946 mb at noon today, or 27.93 inches barometric pressure. That’s extraordinary and, to be certain, very bad news as a sign of what is to come. Remnant effect on Western New York appears unlikely at this time, though not out of the question.

Digressing a little but Cantore makes me scream at the TV. I will not longer watch TWC since he and his buds seem to think we want to watch them being almost blown away while we can't hear a word they're saying. What IS the point? This madness won't stop until one of them is killed standing out there.
    For those who believe in the Resurrection, death is inconsequential
    http://needgoodnews.com

Just received a call from my daughter and son-in-law at Bragg. They have been told to evacuate the base by Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper9 View Post
    Just received a call from my daughter and son-in-law at Bragg. They have been told to evacuate the base by Thursday.
    That is for family members only, active duty are being ramped up for disaster relief...

I have a couple soldiers in front of me from Bragg and I'm 1.5 miles south of the base at my shop.
    Last edited by Lone_Hawk; 09-10-2018 at 05:01 PM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper9 View Post
    Where exactly do they want the family to go I wonder?

He expects the Texas coastal bend to see a TS.

A rain event, if nothing else.
    We have already had over 8 inches of rain since Friday.

My ex and his wife are living right under the center of the hurricane's path and plan to evacuate inland. I think they are about forty miles inland already, but trees coming down could be an issue.

Kathleen
    Behold, these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him.
    Job 26:14

wickr ID freeholder45

She has not reached the gulf stream when she does expect a boost of energy just before landfall..
    The most important days in a persons life are the day they were born and the day they find out why!

Ref: Fort Bragg evac

Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Hawk View Post
    That is for family members only, active duty are being ramped up for disaster relief...
    I have a couple soldiers in front of me from Bragg and I'm 1.5 miles south of the base at my shop.
    About 7 miles south of you and I am not seeing or hearing or reading anything about family evacuation
    Of course aviation equipment will ship asap

Please if you learn more post more

Still, warmer waters lay between Florence, and the Carolina's. If Florence does not get caught in any Eyewall Replacement Cycle, or Wind shear from the storm in the Caribbean. Your looking at CAT4/5 close to landfall. And the NHC said, in the 5PM advisory, Florence's wind field has doubled, in the past 24 hours. Which means more areas along the coast will see a more significant, storm surge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Hawk View Post

OMG! I don't remember that they evaced Bragg during Hugo. I got ordered to base billeting during that one.
    No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson

Mo is my One.