Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WEATHER Hurricane Florence landfall in North Carolina, (Now Cat 2, Sept 13 am)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post
    Where in my post did I say it "went to zero"?

What I SAID was, it would go down to TROPICAL STORM (that's what the "TS" stands for) strength almost immediately.

That is STILL up to 75 mph winds.

I don't call that "zero."

I was just repeated what the weather people are saying--that the MAJOR DANGER of this storm to NC will be the RAIN.

Take it for what it's worth---or ignore it, as you wish....
    I think you misunderstood my statement, which wasn't a reflection on your statement at all, but rather what seemed an oddity from the weather service.

Going from a cat 4 hurricane to a non-hurricane in my opinion would be going to a zero hurricane. That doesn't mean in no way, that some very serious conditions, and damage won't happen from a Tropical storm, because it will.

My reflection of Katrina, and Camille was that at 300+ miles inland they were still a Cat 1 hurricane.

Whether a Cat 1 or a TS our prayers are with you guys, get out, or hunker down, now during the calm is the time to do it.

"Property must be sacred or liberty cannot exist"

That area of disturbance in the Caribbean now has a 40% chance of development once it gets into Gulf. That could definitely be a rainmaker for TX.

I'm hearing more forecasts of possible Harvey-like rain totals from Florence, maybe 40 or 50 inches, especially if it stalls or slows down. That's one of the worst things with tropical systems -- you never want even a tropical storm to stall, or it'll dump rain. Get them up and out of there fast....

the rain is what makes it so bad even for those of us not in a flood zone it saturates the ground around all of the trees which allows the trees to fall down in winds that normally wouldn't bother them at all

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    I think you misunderstood my statement, which wasn't a reflection on your statement at all, but rather what seemed an oddity from the weather service.

Going from a cat 4 hurricane to a non-hurricane in my opinion would be going to a zero hurricane. That doesn't mean in no way, that some very serious conditions, and damage won't happen from a Tropical storm, because it will.

My reflection of Katrina, and Camille was that at 300+ miles inland they were still a Cat 1 hurricane.

Whether a Cat 1 or a TS our prayers are with you guys, get out, or hunker down, now during the calm is the time to do it.
    OkCaryC--thanks for the clairification! Sorry I misunderstood!
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Great info for me in the Triad area. Thank you! It's funny. Someone mentioned the newcomers being naive to the storm potential. I'm finding that anyone here at work who has lived here their whole lives acting like, oh, this is nothing, we won't get anything.

For some reason, I have a feeling this one will be different. I always thought if ever we would have real effects in my location, this is exactly the type of track that would be necessary. We are stocked up. I just wish I had a generator...
    "Doom is always a day away..."

OkCaryC--thanks for the clairification! Sorry I misunderstood!
    No problem, we're good, no harm, no foul.

DW just got back in from her morning escapades and reports that the French Toast crowd is already at work stripping the shelves of bread, milk and eggs - even up here in western NC.

The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Katrina cut a path of destruction from the Gulf all the way into Tennessee. Right up through the middle of Mississippi still as a Cat 1 hurricane right over our house in north Mississippi. That's not including all the tornadoes that were spawned in our area. Never thought this far inland from the Gulf, we would ever have to hunker down for a hurricane.

Praying for all in the path of Florence.

Quote Originally Posted by jba48 View Post
    Great info for me in the Triad area. Thank you! It's funny. Someone mentioned the newcomers being naive to the storm potential. I'm finding that anyone here at work who has lived here their whole lives acting like, oh, this is nothing, we won't get anything.

For some reason, I have a feeling this one will be different. I always thought if ever we would have real effects in my location, this is exactly the type of track that would be necessary. We are stocked up. I just wish I had a generator...
    Boy if there is any way you can swing it, try to get one. Just to keep your ref. and freezer's going you will need a 3000 watt plus genie. And even then you will have to rotate it's use, bump one up, then the other, and in between you can have a TV or internet, charge phones, etc.

Champion makes some good ones that are reasonable.

Florence now upped to Category 3.

Nothing more unsettling than watching a storm approach and wondering how strong it might get...

Where in my post did I say it "went to zero"?

What I SAID was, it would go down to TROPICAL STORM (that's what the "TS" stands for) strength almost immediately.

That is STILL up to 75 mph winds.

I don't call that "zero."

I was just repeated what the weather people are saying--that the MAJOR DANGER of this storm to NC will be the RAIN.

A Tropical Storm would be a "Cat 0" Hurricane, so that's pretty much what you said whether you meant to or not.

Some models are showing a slight shift to the South, hitting SC and moving inland.

Others are showing it stall right on the NC coast and sitting there through next weekend dumping up to 30" of rain in some coastal counties.

Now Cat 4 with a 946 mb pressure

Edit - this turned Cat 4 about 4-8 hours than the models had predicted

Quote Originally Posted by Warm Wisconsin View Post
    Already? Wow, ramping up...

They usually can't maintain that strength for too long.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Is there any website or anywhere I can go to that will let me view, in REAL time, satellite images of Hurricane Florence?

Intellicast isn't even showing it, many of the news outlets just have CG-animated "images" of the storm, and the FEW "satellite" pics I've found are NOT live videos, but rather are STILL PICS put together to make a "satellite video" which is not really either a video or live.

I'd appreciate your help!

I was trying to show my son how fast a hurricane ACTUALLY rotates (all the videos we've seen are speeded up) but can't find a real-time, LIVE video.
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    They usually can't maintain that strength for too long.
    Oh yes they can---especially with warm water temps (as we now have in the Atlantic--news just said 85 degrees).

That's how we got Hugo...

Quote Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
    A Tropical Storm would be a "Cat 0" Hurricane, so that's pretty much what you said whether you meant to or not.
    Snyper, what would you do without me to "snipe" at?

Especially when you're berating me for saying something "I" did NOT say, and not noting (in your reading) that I was REPEATING WHAT THE NEWS people (weatherman) were saying--other people's words, not mine.

Bless your heart.....

Oh yes they can---especially with warm water temps (as we now have in the Atlantic--news just said 85 degrees).

That's how we got Hugo...
    Indeed they can, but they often undergo periodic fluctuations when they get this big. Up to 4, take a breather down to 3, back up to 4...

Which is why it'll be a roller coaster ride between now and landfall. Hoping it hits the coast on the downswing in intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
    Indeed they can, but they often undergo periodic fluctuations when they get this big. Up to 4, take a breather down to 3, back up to 4...

Which is why it'll be a roller coaster ride between now and landfall. Hoping it hits the coast on the downswing in intensity.
    agreed.

Hope it doesn't go to Cat 5 (as, if memory serves, Hugo did). I don't think they expect it to do that.

Edit - this turned Cat 4 about 4-8 hours than the models had predicted
    WTNT61 KNHC 101556
    TCUAT1

Hurricane Florence Tropical Cyclone Update
    NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL062018
    1200 PM AST Mon Sep 10 2018

...FLORENCE BECOMES A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE...

Data from a NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that Florence
    has continued to rapidly stregthen and has maximum sustained winds
    near 130 mph (195 km/h). The latest minimum central pressure based
    on data from the aircraft is 946 mb (27.93 inches).

SUMMARY OF 1200 PM AST...1600 UTC...INFORMATION
    ---------------------------------------------------
    LOCATION...25.0N 60.2W
    ABOUT 575 MI...925 KM SSE OF BERMUDA
    ABOUT 1230 MI...1985 KM ESE OF CAPE FEAR NORTH CAROLINA
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...195 KM/H
    PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 280 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...946 MB...27.93 INCHES

$$
    Forecaster Blake

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refres...l/101556.shtml
    Nana to two "little bits", one not-so-little "little bit" and one 6' college bound "little bit"

When it gets on the map, WU might be an option - https://www.wunderground.com/maps/us/VisSatellite.html

Out in the ocean that far, I got nothing visual in the bookmarks…

ETA - poke around at https://twitter.com/NOAASatellites?r...rence-space%2F

https://www.wunderground.com/MAR/HS/100.html

Marine Weather for HS 100
    Forecast
    marine weather discussion for N Atlantic Ocean NWS ocean prediction center Washington DC 1044 am EDT Mon Sep 10 2018

.Forecast discussion...Major features/winds/seas/significant .Weather for the North Atlantic ocean W of 50w from 30n to 50n.

Onshore gales continue this morning poleward of a stationary front draped E along 37n extending from Cape Charles. Overnight guidance and early arriving 12z models all indicate this front should lift back N as a warm front in the next few hours, passing through the northern portions later today and overnight. Associated gradient should weaken north of the warm front as the strong surface high over the Gulf of St Lawrence moves further se into the NW Atlantic Basin. Overall, ongoing near term grids look excellent, and anticipate making very little impactful changes. Seas are still running several feet above guidance north of this front, in particular in E-NE flow directly atop the Gulf Stream. See discussion below for more specifics.

Hurricane Florence has rapidly intensified overnight, and the latest NHC advisory centers the storm near 25.0n 60.0w. Florence will continue to intensify while tracking NW, and is expected to move across the opc southern zones as a major hurricane Wed and Thu, then make landfall Thu night near Cape Fear, NC. Forecast then gradually weakens the cyclone as it drifts farther NW inland Fri and Sat. Major impacts are expected across opc waters and the se U.S. And mid Atlantic Seaboard.
    We strongly urge all marine interests to closely monitor the latest NHC advisories, coastal WFO, and opc forecasts.
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    Just to keep your ref. and freezer's going you will need a 3000 watt plus genie.
    We do just fine with 2000 - two fridges and a big freezer on rotation. 3000 is better, but don't turn down anything.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Quote Originally Posted by CTFIREBATTCHIEF View Post
    Well, we're still here. No word yet, but Dare County Control Group is supposed to meet at around 1000 this morning to hash out some things. Surf is really cranking this morning but the beach is still there. Park service hasn't closed the beaches yet so I'll get in one more day of beach driving when the tide goes out a bit later on to see what is going on. There was some overwash on route 12 in Ocracoke last evening at high tide but as far as I know that has been it. My gut feeling so far is that it is going to be a get out of dodge order for visitors some time tomorrow and a wait and see for the locals, BUT that is just my gut talking.
    Well, so much for my gut...LOL...Dare county is kicking everybody off of hatteras island as of noon today, visitors AND residents. The rest of Dare county, to the border of currituck county to the north. which encompasses nags head, kill devil hills, southern shores ect are out of here effective at 7am tomorrow, Inland parts of dare are also out, stumpy point but that area is sparsely populated. We're about ready to go, having a cold beer after airing up and packing the truck. People are moving. gas stations have lines and air pumping stations have lines as well. Oh well, off to see the grandkids in Rockville MD for a few days, then home.

To all in this storms path....be careful!! and don't hesitate to leave if you're in a low lying area
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria. As true NOW as it was true THEN!!

Snyper, what would you do without me to "snipe" at?

Especially when you're berating me for saying something "I" did NOT say, and not noting (in your reading) that I was REPEATING WHAT THE NEWS people (weatherman) were saying--other people's words, not mine.

Bless your heart.....
    It's what you said you said.

Better to leave early than stay late for this one, Chief.

All the images and a whole lot more are at this site:
    http://spaghettimodels.com/

Sept 10th 12:00 to 15:45 UTC

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floa...b-animated.gif

satellite image from 10:15 AM Eastern info

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2
    https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/xgtwo/two_atl_2d0.png

Nana to two "little bits", one not-so-little "little bit" and one 6' college bound "little bit"

It was..
    Sovereign will that appointed Him,
    Sovereign love that sent Him,
    Sovereign authority that assigned Him to his work.
    He is Coming!! Be Ready!!

Quote Originally Posted by Calfisher View Post
    Whoa...that's impressive!
    I once was blind but now I see!...
    Acts 9:11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”

Disturbance in Caribbean is now Invest 95L.

This allows them to send resources like hurricane hunters to investigate further...

Quote Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
    Disturbance in Caribbean is now Invest 95L.

This allows them to send resources like hurricane hunters to investigate further...
    Thanks, Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Krayola View Post
    I am aware of the running joke noted above.

However, Sacajawea, stated that he was not liked and has "quite the reputation." It just sounded like it was something more personal and I was asking for more information on that.
    It's my understanding, from a local meteorologist who worked for the WC that Cantore is quite the diva.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

Anyone along the eastern seaboard better be paying attention. To grow this strong this fast is indicative of a storm not to be trifled with.

Attached Images
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Attached Images

Texted my bio-mom today, she's 1/2 hour west of Ashville, she's just leaving now to get supply's, no gennie (hubby doesn't think ahead past his arm). She's on a clay hill and they're saying 2'+ for her area. Yikes.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th
    Molon Labe
    We Must Secure the Existance of Our People and a Future for White Children
    Make America Confederate Again

Told her to come here, upper 70's/low 80's, sunny, nice breeze. Ahhh.....
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th
    Molon Labe
    We Must Secure the Existance of Our People and a Future for White Children
    Make America Confederate Again

Holy cow!! Latest P3 pass has a dropsonde that recorded a wind speed over 160 mph on the surface. If that pans out it's a Cat5 already and went from a 1 to a 5 in less than a day.
    Attached Images
    What is the lake of fire? What is it's purpose? Is the lake of fire eternal hell? Is there any hope of escape for those cast into this lake?
    http://bible-truths.com/lake1.html

Quote Originally Posted by NC Susan View Post
    Not trying to make light of this topic, but that there is funny!

Deo adjuvante non timendum - With God Helping, Nothing is to be Feared
    "You are like a pit-bull..." - Dennis Olson
    "No man knows but that the last backward glance over his shoulder may be his last look, forever." - Ernie Pyle Born: 1900 KIA: 1945 Shima, Okinawa