Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

WEATHER Hurricane Florence landfall in North Carolina, (Now Cat 2, Sept 13 am)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    One of my friends just posted an image of Jim Cantorie at the OBX (Outer Banks)... she's really scared now!

Cantore's here? awww crap on a cracker, THERE goes the neighborhood!!

Surf up pretty big compared to this morning. High tide is due about 8pm and overwash of the main road, route 12 is expected. NC emergency management is due to meet tomorrow morning to see what they're going to do about evacs and such. The park and beaches are still open, but we'll see what tomorrow morning brings.

These folks do NOT need another direct hit! Praying this thing turns and goes north!!
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria. As true NOW as it was true THEN!!

I'll have to see if anyone has posted pics of the UNwelcome signs for Cantore. He has quite the reputation there and is not liked.

Chief, they'll have to decide/announce Monday afternoon if landfall is expected Thurs-Fri.

Sacajawea,

Here are a few...

Loup
    Attached Images

(Ask yourself: What's in your Wallace?)

Quote Originally Posted by Sacajawea View Post
    Chief, they'll have to decide/announce Monday afternoon if landfall is expected Thurs-Fri.
    I feel for them, making that decision Sacajawea. I just came in from the dune line, the water is right up to it. I suspect tomorrow mornings high tide is going to be a real pain in the ass. We're ready to scoot if they tell us. A big fishing tournament on the beaches at cape point down to frisco wrapped up yesterday so that has cut down the amount of folks here I think.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria. As true NOW as it was true THEN!!

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    One of my friends just posted an image of Jim Cantorie at the OBX (Outer Banks)... she's really scared now!

James "Jim" D. Cantore (born February 16, 1964) is an American meteorologist. He is best known as an on-air personality for The Weather Channel.

We are watching this one and started prepping for the storm today. The only thing I will have to do just before the storm hits is screw down the rain gutter segments across my drive so the water is diverted so the shop doesn't flood as the water comes down the drive way.

Fox News/MSM...

For links see article source.....
    Posted for fair use.....
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...cid=spartanntp

Florence forecast to become 'major hurricane,' moving towards southeastern US

Katherine Lam
    2 hrs ago

Hurricane Florence regained its strength Sunday as weather officials predicted it will turn into a "major" storm as it aims for a possible hit on the southeastern U.S. later this week.

According to the National Hurricane Center, Florence is "forecast to become a major hurricane on Monday," and is expected to grow larger and move faster over the next few days.

As of 5 p.m. Sunday, Florence was centered around 720 miles southeast of Bermuda and moving west at seven miles per hour. The storm crossed the 74 miles-per-hour threshold from tropical storm to hurricane Sunday morning, and by evening its winds were up to 85 mph. Forecasters warned that it could be a fearsome Category 4 with winds of 130 mph or more by Tuesday.

HURRICANE WARNING VS. WATCH: HOW ARE THEY DIFFERENT?

The hurricane center said it's too early to know what path the storm will take, but that it could hit the coast of the Carolinas by Friday.

"There is an increasing risk of two life-threatening impacts from Florence: storm surge at the coast and freshwater flooding from a prolonged heavy rainfall event inland," the Miami-based center said in the advisory.

See where Florence is headed next with the MSN hurricane tracker

Meteorologists warned that "large swells" hitting Bermuda and the eastern coast will continue throughout the week, which "will result in life-threatening surf and rip currents."

Forecasters urged residents from South Carolina to the mid-Atlantic to get ready — and not just for a direct blow against the coast. They warned that Florence could slow or stall after coming ashore, with some forecasting models showing it could unload a foot or two of rain in places, causing devastating inland flooding.

The governors of North and South Carolina, along with Virginia, have declared states of emergency in preparation for the storm.

South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster emphasized Saturday that there's no way to know yet when and where the storm will hit land, or when evacuations might be called.

“We are preparing for the worst and of course hoping for the best. Being prepared is always the best strategy," McMaster said.

In Charleston, S.C., along the coast, city officials offered sandbags to residents. Myrtle Beach Mayor Brenda Bethune urged people to secure their homes but said it's too early to know if evacuations will be ordered.

HURRICANE FLORENCE BECOMES FIRST MAJOR STORM OF 2018 ATLANTIC SEASON

Myrtle Beach hardware stores and supermarkets were busy ringing up sales of bottled water, plywood and generators.

"Literally, they are filling buggies full of water, shopping carts full of water," Ryan Deeck, grocery department manager at a Walmart, told The Sun News. "They're coming in and buying water and plates, and that's about all they're buying."

North Carolina officials started getting bulldozers and chain saws ready.

Florence's effects were already being felt along the coast, with dangerous swells and rip currents in some spots. On North Carolina's Outer Banks, the town of Nags Head posted no-swimming flags on beaches.

In Jacksonville, N.C., about 20 miles from the coast, some residents picked up hurricane supplies during their normal weekend shopping, The Daily News reported. Ilija Cesal told the newspaper he wouldn't worry about buying extra water or other supplies for a few more days.

"I'll see by Wednesday how that goes — we got over 48 hours before that happens," Cesal said.

The U.S. Navy on Sunday ordered its warships and submarines at Naval Station Norfolk to prepare to leave the port as early as Monday.

Florence briefly became a Category 4 hurricane last week, the first of the 2018 Atlantic season. It later weakened to a tropical storm after encountering strong wind shear and cooler waters.

Meanwhile, two other storms — Helene and Isaac — were following behind Florence in the Atlantic, but those storms were expected to be less of a threat to the U.S., forecasters said. Tropical Storm Helene is expected to become a hurricane in the next few days.

Fox News' Katherine Lam, Lucas Tomlinson and Frank Miles and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacajawea View Post
    I'll have to see if anyone has posted pics of the UNwelcome signs for Cantore. He has quite the reputation there and is not liked.
    Why don't they like him?

Quote Originally Posted by Krayola View Post
    Why don't they like him?
    Might have something to do with the storms that follow him around...

Quote Originally Posted by Krayola View Post
    Why don't they like him?
    Basically because Cantore sets up shop where he thinks a storm will make landfall.

Sometimes he's right, sometimes not, but it's become a running joke that if Cantore is in town -- run.

11:00 report out.

Showing Isaac dropping to TS once it crosses the islands into the Caribbean.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

I've been in North Carolina for a little over 10 years and so far have never been impacted by a hurricane. So to my fellow North Carolinians, is it possible to have anything more than just rain (which I realize can be bad enough) in the Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point area?
    "Doom is always a day away..."

is it possible to have anything more than just rain (which I realize can be bad enough) in the Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point area?

Investigate Hugo … it was still a hurricane when it hit Charlotte.

https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/depart...pen/hurricanes
    The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Quote Originally Posted by jba48 View Post
    I've been in North Carolina for a little over 10 years and so far have never been impacted by a hurricane. So to my fellow North Carolinians, is it possible to have anything more than just rain (which I realize can be bad enough) in the Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point area?

It's not just the rain

It's the tornadoes and trees and power lines that come down
    Tornadoes are the strongest and the worst in NE of the hurricane eye

Then the next problem is the rain the further inland the more it busts damns and floods downstream to destroy the coast for the 2nd time

Norfolk Navy Yard is sending everything that floats under its own power out to sea

Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Hawk View Post
    Might have something to do with the storms that follow him around...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
    Basically because Cantore sets up shop where he thinks a storm will make landfall.

Sometimes he's right, sometimes not, but it's become a running joke that if Cantore is in town -- run.

I am aware of the running joke noted above.

However, Sacajawea, stated that he was not liked and has "quite the reputation." It just sounded like it was something more personal and I was asking for more information on that.

jba48,

I don't live in NC but saw this from a Greensboro media site:

As Hurricane Florence approaches the Carolinas, those living inland are advised to prepare for the impact of the storm.

“This is looking more and more like a life-threatening situation,” National Weather Service warning coordination meteorologist Nick Petro said in a briefing on Florence Sunday. “Folks, this is it, big time. Big time storm. Be ready for potentially worse-case scenarios here.”
    https://www.greensboro.com/news/loca...6be575710.html

I have also heard that Hurricane Hazel was bad.

Hurricane Hazel was worse than Fran here in the Raleigh area. Back then they didn't have forcasting like today. My mom was at school and my grandparents working the farm but when they turned on the radio at lunch they heard about it. They just thought a big thunderstorm was blowing up. But at lunch they heard a hurricane was coming up from Wilmington and it was BAD. My grandma went to get her from school over 15 miles away while it got worse and worse while my granddad tried to secure the farm and animals. My grandma got mom but trees came down all over the road and they couldn't get home. Ended up being taken in by some family. They stayed with them for 2 days as a tree destroyed my grandmas car and all the roads were completely blocked anyway. Everyone was worried sick as no one knew what had happened to them. The family finally drove them home once they could. They kept touch with the family that took them in afterwards for the rest of their lives.

Yes, Greensboro could see trees down and possibly even tornados. Power outages.

If this is a 4 it's winds will take out the steel transmission power lines

Was it Andrew (??!) in Florida that was a 5 and some lands were scrubbed so clean that no structures or vegetation were ever located to include billions in USAF

Screen shot
    gonna be a rough 2 weeks
    Attached Images

I do remember after Hugo, when the power was out for 2 weeks, some people shot and killed each other because one of them tried to break in line to buy dry ice and water. It was hot and miserable and most people were absolutely horrid. It was nothing to stand in line for over an hour to get something to eat at a fast food place.

I am 100 miles from Wilmington inland, and half way between Raleigh and Fayettnam. I am expecting the worst case scenario with this storm. Tornadoes and very heavy rain. I'm not worried about flooding unless the structure is damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Marseydoats View Post
    I do remember after Hugo, when the power was out for 2 weeks, some people shot and killed each other because one of them tried to break in line to buy dry ice and water. It was hot and miserable and most people were absolutely horrid. It was nothing to stand in line for over an hour to get something to eat at a fast food place.
    Yea, Hugo was bad! This one looks to be about the same.
    "America is at that awkward stage, to late to work within the system, but to early to shoot the bastards"-- Claire Wolfe

We were in Chapel Hill when Fran came through. Trees down everywhere and no power for 7 days for those of us out in the county. IIRC Fran went all the way to Boone NC, a mountain town in NW NC.

I've actually tried to encourage people on the local Facebook pages to at least get a little bit of stuff stocked up that you don't need electricity for to eat but I've determined that there is a special kinda stupid here in NC from people moving in new here. Many many people mocking anyone stocking up or preparing in any way. Many of those making fun are the very ones who say they went out and bought a case of water (no tap water? no jugs?) but they're not going to stock up on two weeks of food like the local news suggested to them- cause so what it's going to be like 60-70mph once it gets here -and they are not worried at all. Several even said they would just go to a hotel and eat in restaurants. Good luck with that one!! Hotels and restaurants don't have generators, and neither do many gas stations.

If you buy food you will eat anyway then what's the harm? Many people around these parts may regret their stupidity in a week or so.

But, I am still hoping and praying for it to turn out to sea so I get to be wrong. I hope to be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Hognutz View Post
    Yea, Hugo was bad! This one looks to be about the same.
    We evacuated from our home in Myrtle Beach to my grandma's house outside of Rock Hill and Grandma ended up being out of power for 3 days or 5 days (?) The system was just unreal when it came thru
    I once was blind but now I see!...
    Acts 9:11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”

Quote Originally Posted by NCGirl View Post
    I've actually tried to encourage people on the local Facebook pages to at least get a little bit of stuff stocked up that you don't need electricity for to eat but I've determined that there is a special kinda stupid here in NC from people moving in new here. Many many people mocking anyone stocking up or preparing in any way. Many of those making fun are the very ones who say they went out and bought a case of water (no tap water? no jugs?) but they're not going to stock up on two weeks of food like the local news suggested to them- cause so what it's going to be like 60-70mph once it gets here -and they are not worried at all. Several even said they would just go to a hotel and eat in restaurants. Good luck with that one!! Hotels and restaurants don't have generators, and neither do many gas stations.

If you buy food you will eat anyway then what's the harm? Many people around these parts may regret their stupidity in a week or so.

But, I am still hoping and praying for it to turn out to sea so I get to be wrong. I hope to be wrong!
    Those same people will then blame the government for their own lack of being prepared.

Well, we're still here. No word yet, but Dare County Control Group is supposed to meet at around 1000 this morning to hash out some things. Surf is really cranking this morning but the beach is still there. Park service hasn't closed the beaches yet so I'll get in one more day of beach driving when the tide goes out a bit later on to see what is going on. There was some overwash on route 12 in Ocracoke last evening at high tide but as far as I know that has been it. My gut feeling so far is that it is going to be a get out of dodge order for visitors some time tomorrow and a wait and see for the locals, BUT that is just my gut talking.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGirl View Post

Why not let people do what they wish? There's no point in telling people what to do. Let them learn from experience. Once they experience flooding, no roof, no windows, no food, no nothing, they may just leave permanently. Take care of yourself, let others plan their own demise. Living on the West Coast isn't so bad after all. We get to watch everyone freak out on the East Coast, get ready for something that may or may not happen. It will happen somewhere if those hurricanes don't turn and go back out to sea. If it were me, I'd rent a house for a couple of weeks somewhere on the West Coast, and wait for things to calm down. What one spends in supplies, one could do what I suggested. When they return, there's always FEMA and trailers to move into or relocate altogether.
    People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk. Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Dozdoats View Post
    is it possible to have anything more than just rain (which I realize can be bad enough) in the Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point area?

Investigate Hugo … it was still a hurricane when it hit Charlotte.

https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/depart...pen/hurricanes
    I would imagine "just rain" IS a BIG problem--when you're talking 20 inches of it.

That's what I heard forecasters predicting this morning---

they expect the storm to die down from a hurricane to a TS almost immediately as it hits land, and for "wind" effects to be minimal---

but are predicting 20 inches of rain....
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

I got an e-mail this morning asking for AUXCOMM volunteers for possible deployment to the coast to provide communications.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post
    I would imagine "just rain" IS a BIG problem--when you're talking 20 inches of it.

they expect the storm to die down from a hurricane to a TS almost immediately as it hits land, and for "wind" effects to be minimal---

Going from a 4 to a Zero "as soon as it hit's land" is odd...no?

When Katrina hit, it was still a One when it came through here, 300 miles inland.

As for prepping comments...….

They can always ask the residents of the MS Gulf coast about that, when they were having their hurricane party, when Camille came through. O, no you can't, they're dead.

And it too was still a One when it got here.

I've lived in and around Greensboro NC all my life. Almost all Hurricanes that move inland into the state will have some type of impact even here 4hrs away from the coast. Wind, extremely heavy rain/ flooding all lead to down power lines .I've known and helped folks that have been with out power for up to 2 weeks. 50/50 chance
    Better to stock up a little and have stuff you will need than not. Top off the cars with gas. set back and pray..

Lucky me going in for surgery Wed morning just before this thing hits..
    The most important days in a persons life are the day they were born and the day they find out why!

Fran actually made it to the eastern panhandle of WV; I know coz I was out driving in it like a fool. I did NOT make it home that day.

Cantore is a schmuck and a womanizer; wears his "big boy weather channel attitude" like a military medal and lets everyone know it. And I fully did NOT appreciate the broadcast announcement in the MIDDLE of Irene - when I still had power, cable, etc and was trying to sleep - saying all of the locals who didn't evac should have their body bags & torsos marked with SS# in sharpie. What I think about his brand of scare-tactics and fearmongering isn't fit to print.

That said, after going through a couple of little storms there and having my storm shutter installer tell me they were only warrantied/rated to cat 3 - because nothing else would be standing - I shifted my decision point about staying/leaving to that sized storm. My house had steel in the framing; it caused difficulty even installing the shutters. And the walls were 6 in thick. 140 mph rated glass in the windows. It felt like a fortress in the storms we did ride out. But everything fails, eventually.

There are reasons why locals stay - even in Hatteras and Ocracoke - that make sense. Most of 'em related to mitigating damage as soon as possible after the storm, gov't rules & regs, etc. In OBX, full time residents are not REQUIRED to evac - but once the liquor sales stop (24 hrs before landfall & after the tourists are gone) - people are on their own; 911 will NOT bring help until it's safe for them to get there. People know this... and help each other, as needed.

It's major extra work to get ready for a storm and to clean up after. And everyone is hot & tired - and the residents take care of all the volunteers who show up to get the power back on and cut trees... and the last thing they want is Jim Cantore being an ass sticking a microphone in their face.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrymouse View Post

We start flooding here after 10 inches in 24 hours.

We have people here in Ga thinking about evacuating tomorrow "just in case". I think they are trying to get a few days off.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    Going from a 4 to a Zero "as soon as it hit's land" is odd...no?

When Katrina hit, it was still a One when it came through here, 300 miles inland.

As for prepping comments...….

They can always ask the residents of the MS Gulf coast about that, when they were having their hurricane party, when Camille came through. O, no you can't, they're dead.

And it too was still a One when it got here.
    Where in my post did I say it "went to zero"?

What I SAID was, it would go down to TROPICAL STORM (that's what the "TS" stands for) strength almost immediately.

That is STILL up to 75 mph winds.

I don't call that "zero."

I was just repeated what the weather people are saying--that the MAJOR DANGER of this storm to NC will be the RAIN.

Take it for what it's worth---or ignore it, as you wish....
    Be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled…Let no man deceive you by any means…..
    they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved….for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie….
    Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

The wonder of our time isn’t how angry we are at politics and politicians; it’s how little we’ve done about it. - Fran Porretto
    -http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-wholly-rational-hatred.html

Still snot showing a turn on Isaac.

Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I got an e-mail this morning asking for AUXCOMM volunteers for possible deployment to the coast to provide communications.
    Coast Guard Auxiliary? Or other group?
    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
    the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission;
    which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
    -Ayn Rand