Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

HELP 8000 chickens in need of a home ...UPDATE: Actual Location
+ Reply to Thread

8000 chickens in need of a home ...UPDATE: Actual Location

ASAP in southern MO. Quick run down...friend of a friend had a contract to provide eggs for a company...he got over 8000 chickens to provide the eggs...contract cancelled...needs to sell them, one dollar a piece, 1 1/2 year old reds...brown eggs layers...if he can't sell them by tomorrow then he's gassing them all.

This is southern MO, Ozark County...anyone interested...gimme a PM if so.

North of Springfield, closer to ElDorado...50 cents each if you take 500 or more,,,Non GMO He's on CL
    Last edited by frazbo; 08-13-2018 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Can't spell!!!
    Once you master people by force you depend on force for control.

Better to be an hour early than one minute late.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think" Adolph Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by frazbo View Post
    ASAP in southern MO. Quick run down...friend of a friend had a contract to provide eggs for a company...he got over 8000 chickens to provide the eggs...contract canellled...needs to sell them, one dollar a piece, 1 1/2 year old reds...brown eggs layers...if he can't sell them by tomorrow then he's gassing them all.

This is couthern MO, Ozark County...anyone interested...gimme a PM if so.
    Wish I lived closer!

No one is going to buy 8000 chickens. No freakin way.

Wish I lived closer too. I know some locals who would snap those young hens right up at that price. Can't imagine doing mass killing like that. Stuff like this makes me crazy.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Olson View Post
    No one is going to buy 8000 chickens. No freakin way.
    This friend of mine is buying 200 and will sell them for a bit more than what she paid,which around here is easy to do... another friend is buying a large amount, some to butcher, some to keep...cheap food in this area. But the guy is not expecting to sell all 8000 at once. Wish I knew about this yesterday, could've given me more time to find buyers...but this is the Ozarks, many here don't think that far ahead, sorry to say.

Wouldn't a pet food company take them? Gas them? Really?
    >>>>> On the Internet you can be anything you want. It's so strange that many people choose to be stupid. <<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
    Wish I lived closer too. I know some locals who would snap those young hens right up at that price. Can't imagine doing mass killing like that. Stuff like this makes me crazy.
    Well it happens. The feed bill for this many chickens is insane.

How many tractor trailer loads would it take to move that many chickens?

I know nothing about chickens.

batterbiscuts

Drop Kenny (wirecutter) at Knuckledraggin my life away blog a note. One never knows. He's just been recently bitten with the chicken TV bug.

(Chicken TV is where you go out and watch the flock until everything suddenly seems right with the world. Or rather that was the def'n on '99 here.)
    Mookie War Creed
    "I am the Sword of my Family and Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every one of you."
    Welcome to dar al harab -dar al kufre.

Gentle reminder: It is entirely possible to think that generalizations are true and to judge each real live person you meet as an individual

Craigslist, Facebook.
    "One day I will leave this world and dream myself to Reality" Crazy Horse

Quote Originally Posted by night driver View Post
    Drop Kenny (wirecutter) at Knuckledraggin my life away blog a note. One never knows. He's just been recently bitten with the chicken TV bug.

(Chicken TV is where you go out and watch the flock until everything suddenly seems right with the world. Or rather that was the def'n on '99 here.)
    Thanks, he had a couple of good ideas, now if I can only get the guy to hold off for 24 hours, we might have a chance to save maybe half...thanks for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by duchess47 View Post
    Craigslist, Facebook.

The owner doesn't seem too intersted in hanging on to them for very long as feeding 8000 hens is expensive, so might bne able to hold him off for another 24 hours, but we'll see.

At: "1 1/2 year old" they are not exactly spring chickens. Thinking outside the box: pet food processors? Food processors? They might be good for broth? Maybe take some to live stock auctions that accept chickens? A call to a local abattoir that processes chickens might also have some suggestions or possible interested contacts?

Do you have Amish, Mennonite in the area? Would their churches accept the "donations" of the chickens so he could take off something in taxes or a loss? That way he would not have the expense of trying to properly dispose 8000 chicken carcasses.
    Last edited by Old Gray Mare; 08-12-2018 at 10:04 PM.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Any idea why the contract was cancelled ?
    The most important days in a persons life are the day they were born and the day they find out why!

Can't he call egg brokers directly and get other contracts?

Maybe the county USDA agent would have some contacts or ideas?

Maybe talk to Food pantries? 8000 sounds like a lot but in bigger cities they may disappear quick enough if they can find a USDA processor to kill and clean them. That way they become someone else's problem.
    Last edited by Old Gray Mare; 08-12-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

OGM...the Amish right now are selling/butchering their chickens and getting new or raising chicks, so not many, if any would be wanting to take these older chickens on...

D&C...no idea why it was cancelled...I thought it rather odd too but didn't have time to find out...

OGM...don't know much other than what I was originally told and to get in to it with my friend would mean a very long time on the phone and I was more interested in calling people I knew to get the word passed around. Might call the county agent tomorrow morning also just to see if there's a better solution and yeah...what the heck is he gonna do with that many dead chickens? Still a friggin' shame to just kill them all and write it off on his taxes, but I'm not him so I'm just doin' my best to at least find some of them homes...either as egg layers or someones canning jars...which makes more sense to me.

It's not much but think we've gotten 400 or so taken...a drop in the ocean, I know but it's something for right now. I think I've still got until 10 a.m. tomorrow.

OK...just found out, he's had them on CL for a week...he is located above Springfield MO near Stockton and ElDorado Springs...I did not know where he was originally, thought he was closer to me in Ozark Co...so those who sent me PM's about it being too far...its' north of Springfield, if that helps y'all.

They are Non GMO and if you take 500 or more, they are 50 cents...average weight about 4 1/2 lbs each.

With that many biddies he can go into the egg biz himself.

18 month old birds? Ok for the backyard'r but the producer those are ancient.

Sorry, but, for the most part, they're feed now. Might as well get what he can.
    Repeal the 15th
    Rewrite the 14th
    Molon Labe
    We Must Secure the Existance of Our People and a Future for White Children
    Make America Confederate Again

Saw the same thing locally to where I live. Friends took some. They don't lay just eat. Too old. To be that old they have been poorly fed and just used for egg production. They won't have a lot of meat on them either. Meat birds are killed after two to three months. Egg birds start to lay after about 18 weeks of age and are kept for roughly two years.

The owner doesn't seem too intersted in hanging on to them for very long as feeding 8000 hens is expensive, so might bne able to hold him off for another 24 hours, but we'll see.
    Has the owner put an ad on the Backyard Chickens forum yet? That might get some buyers. He'll need to register first.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/
    No one ever rescues an old dog. They lay in a cage until they die. PLEASE save one. None of us wants to die cold and alone... --Dennis Olson

Mo is my One.

So? What's happened?

Actually, they are a great deal for quick fall egg production. They will lay more than feed cost, then ,can be sold slowly or converted to freezer camp for soup.

Dunno nothing bout birthin no eggs, but from the comments here I wonder if the guy who wants to sell them got snookered in the whole deal, like someone dangled a contract in front of him to get him to buy 8000 elderly nonproducers.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    Dunno nothing bout birthin no eggs, but from the comments here I wonder if the guy who wants to sell them got snookered in the whole deal, like someone dangled a contract in front of him to get him to buy 8000 elderly nonproducers.
    Actually, he raised them from chicks...they started laying around 5 months, they are 1 1/2 yrs old now, he got ALOT of eggs out of them over that period of time. None of them went to the "gas chambers"...btw...homes were found for all. He held off for a couple of days and all is right with the world.

Our reds layed until they were 5-6 yrs old, as many of my friends I'd contacted said also, that's why they went ahead and bought some and passed the word around. Someone bought 500 of them for 50 cents a piece and is selling them for more to make some extra money...now that's good thinking. Everyone was thrilled to get them and they still have quite a few years of laying left in them. So the story of the doomed chickens has come to a happy ending.

Actually, he raised them from chicks...they started laying around 5 months, they are 1 1/2 yrs old now, he got ALOT of eggs out of them over that period of time.
    Got it, thanks for clarifying.
    Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.

Reds will lay up until about 7 years old. White birds are a different story. Plus the Reds produce larger eggs. But they do lay a lot longer.

And they are much more sociable to be around. BTDT with reds. Had some for a long time. Raised babies for me when I got a rooster. I love Reds.

I am thrilled they didn't get gassed. That really bothered me.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

Proverbs 16:9

Glad to hear things worked out for him and the hens. We had a mixed small flock. Bought then at two years old, and had fairly good production for a couple more years. By that time we were too attached to them to butcher them, so just let them range. Still got some eggs, enough for us, and way better than eggs from the store.

From time to time I still miss having them around, except for having to carry water to them in the winter.
    "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by bw View Post
    Got it, thanks for clarifying.
    No problem...wasn't being snotty...like you said "Dunno nothing about birthin no eggs..." heck, I didn't either and then I got the bug and it's been chicks, feed, layer pellets, scratch, frozen water, cleaning out the pen, mites, black snakes eating my eggs, hawks, raccoons, coyotes, eagles hovering overhead... you name it, I learned it and sometimes the hard way...but never too old to learn something new.