Check out the TB2K CHATROOM, open 24/7               Configuring Your Preferences for OPTIMAL Viewing
  To access our Email server, CLICK HERE

If you are unfamiliar with the Guidelines for Posting on TB2K please read them.      ** LINKS PAGE **

*** Help Support TB2K ***
via mail, at TB2K Fund, P.O. Box 24, Coupland, TX, 78615
or

ALERT 8/12 earthquake 6.4 Ak north slope
+ Reply to Thread

8/12 earthquake 6.4 Ak north slope

Home Regional Article
    Magnitude 6.4 earthquake hits near Kaktovik

MGN Online

By Derek Minemyer | Posted: Sun 9:36 AM, Aug 12, 2018 | Updated: Sun 5:34 PM, Aug 12, 2018

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - A magnitude 6.4 earthquake struck approximately 40 miles southwest of Kaktovik just before 7:00 a.m. this morning, according to the Alaska Earthquake Center.

And an aftershock rumbled in just after 1:00 p.m. at a 6.0 magnitude, measuring in at the second largest earthquake ever recorded on the North Slope.

The original earthquake registered at a depth of 9.9 kilometers, just over six miles.

"There was no impact to TAPS operations and there are no operational concerns following this morning's 6.1 earthquake near the North Slope," wrote officials with the Alyeska Pipeline on Twitter. "Per Alyeska protocol, there will be inspections of the pipeline and facilities along the northern segment of TAPS."

State Seismologist with the Alaska Earthquake Center Michael West says the effects were felt widely throughout the North Slope and Eastern Brooks Range region. He says earthquakes in this region are not uncommon, but are typically significantly smaller in magnitude.

"We have no historical evidence of a comparable earthquake in this area," West said.

According to the United States Geologic Survey, since 1975 there have been five earthquakes recorded over 5.0 magnitude, including a 5.5 magnitude in 2003.

West says aftershocks will continue to be felt in the area for the foreseeable future.

"Science-wise, this is a really intriguing event," West said. "This earthquake will certainly cause people to re-evaluate what the seismic potential of Eastern Brooks Range and that general vicinity is."

Amanda Kaleak, lifetime resident of Kaktovic, says she has never experienced an earthquake like this.

"I was walking and had to hold on to the wall because my house was swaying," Kaleak said. "I'm kind of freaked out. I'm kind of wondering if it's going to keep on happening all day, because we've had I think over 30 just right near us, and I felt a handful of the aftershocks. I've lived here all my life and I haven't felt anything that big."

Sean Maguire contributed to the reporting of this story.

Quick update on the human impacts. We have no reports of damage or injuries. Alyeska reports no impacts to the pipeline. We have felt reports from Kaktovik, Deadhorse, Nuiqsut and even a few from Fairbanks, so this was felt across a very wide area.
    http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Mag...490673361.html
    Last edited by cliff dweller; 08-12-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    cliff
    Keep your hand upon the throttle and your eye upon the rail.

Fix for Congress---Retroactive term limits starting now.

Packy was on.
    Proud Infidel...............and Cracker

Member: Nowski Brigade

Deplorable

Garlic Burger? ======6.4 north slope.... egads!

Just got another alert for northern Alaska....6.1 quake, and shallow.

Upgraded to 6.3, 0.3 km depth....wow

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqua...3478#executive

How about adding "earthquake" to the thread title so us stupid people would know what you are talking about without having to open the thread?

Now the depth is more realistic. 8.1 km still 6.3 magnitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    How about adding "earthquake" to the thread title so us stupid people would know what you are talking about without having to open the thread?
    Really

C'mon people, let's put a tiny bit of effort into starting these threads.

That begins with a clearly descriptive thread title and the refreshingly quaint notion of actually including some real content in the OP.

Sorry, I'm just kinda kooky like that . . . . .
    "The most intriguing point for the historian is that where history and legend meet."

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who think they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

USGS has upgraded the second quake today to 6.4 and the depth is back to 0.1km

A HUNDRED METERS DEEP!!????

NOT even CLOSE to reasonable.

You can DIG that deep. Ya it's gonna be a BIG hole but not THAT big...Football field length both ways and 100 meters deep...Not even a danger of cave i or confined space issues.
    RULE 1:
    THEY want you DEAD.

USGS revised the quake once again. This time down, now a 6.0 magnitude at 11.7km deep. Several aftershocks in the 4.7 to 5.4 range since.

USGS often downplays a quake.....if they even report it; was more like a 6.5 or better.. Is the western coast soon to experience a little rock n roll???? Any bets?

North slope of where? Colorado? Alaska? Des Moines? Help please
    SnowSquaw
    WHO IS Q? #QANON #WWG1WGA .... Let's do this.

Quote Originally Posted by SNOWSQUAW View Post
    Covered in a coupla links, starting with post #9

Deplorable

I fixed the OP

I have iris as my home screen so this info is front/center.
    http://ds.iris.edu/seismon/bigmap/index.phtml

sorry for the confusion
    cliff

Quote Originally Posted by cliff dweller View Post
    I have iris as my home screen so this info is front/center.
    http://ds.iris.edu/seismon/bigmap/index.phtml

sorry for the confusion
    Thank you. Quite a bit of red on that map, for "today."
    Psalm 16:11 (NKJV) You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

We felt it here at work this morning. No biggy.
    I am in Deadhorse/Prudhoe bay. Never fekt the second one to busy working.

Quote Originally Posted by ktrapper View Post
    We felt it here at work this morning. No biggy.
    I am in Deadhorse/Prudhoe bay. Never fekt the second one to busy working.
    Indeed. 6 pointers don't even make people look up. As usual, we hope this was just a bit of release rather than a build up ~
    All that is gold does not glitter....

Bf is north of Kobuk, I imagine unless he was in the chopper he felt it as well-not sure he's ever experienced a quake so his tale should be quite entertaining. His aunt was in the BIG quake in Alaska in the early 1960's in a tiny camp trailer, she said when it was over her trailer was the only one left, sitting on the original ground like a tall mesa, all the ground had fallen away from her spot. Very lucky to be alive.

"All right. They're on our left; they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us. . .they can't get away this time."

There's an impressively long list of aftershocks on the USGS site. I know it must be sparsely populated up there (probably mostly just oil industry personnel), but has there been any communication from the actual area yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl View Post
    There's an impressively long list of aftershocks on the USGS site. I know it must be sparsely populated up there (probably mostly just oil industry personnel), but has there been any communication from the actual area yet?
    It was not even enough of a earthquake to be concerned about up here. Seriously, we hardly noticed. Nobody is even talking about it up here. Comminication? Mostly just oil field people up here. Its much to do over not much of nothing.
    A 6.0 aint nothing. Now a 7.9 we had in the interior 10 plus years ago. That one got our attention.

For links see article source.....
    Posted for fair use.....
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/al...cid=spartandhp

Alaska's North Slope hit by strongest quake noted in region

9 hrs ago

KAVIK RIVER CAMP, Alaska (AP) — Alaska's North Slope was hit Sunday by the most powerful earthquake ever recorded in the region, the state's seismologist said.

At 6:58 a.m. Sunday, the magnitude 6.4 earthquake struck an area 42 miles (67 kilometers) east of Kavik River Camp and 343 miles (551 kilometers) northeast of Fairbanks, the state's second-biggest city. The U.S. Geological Survey says the earthquake had a depth of about 6 miles (9.9 kilometers.)

State seismologist Mike West told the Anchorage Daily News that the earthquake was the biggest recorded in the North Slope by a substantial amount. "This is a very significant event that will take us some time to understand," he told the Daily News.

The previous most powerful quake in the North Slope was in 1995 at magnitude 5.2, West told the newspaper.

The jump from a 5.2 to Sunday's 6.4 is significant because earthquakes rapidly grow in strength as magnitude rises, he said. A magnitude 6.4 earthquake is 15.8 times bigger and 63.1 times stronger than a 5.2 earthquake, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

"That's why at 6.4 this changes how we think about the region," West said. "It's a little early to say how, but it's safe to say this earthquake will cause a re-evaluation of the seismic potential of that area."

Later Sunday, another magnitude 6.1 earthquake hit at 1:15 p.m. near the city of Kaktovik on Alaska's North Slope, the U.S. Geological Survey said. The epicenter was (65 kilometers) southwest of Kaktovik, which has about 290 people.

The magnitude 6.4 earthquake that hit Sunday morning was felt by workers at the oil-production facilities in and around Prudhoe Bay, the Daily News reported.

The newspaper says that Alyeska Pipeline said the earthquake did not damage the trans-Alaska pipeline. The company says in a tweet that "there are no operational concerns" related to the earthquake, but the pipeline will be inspected.

Several aftershocks were reported across northern Alaska.

The Alaska Earthquake Center says the earthquakes were felt across the eastern part of the state's North Slope Borough and as far south as metro Fairbanks. The center adds that there are no reports of damage.

For links see article source.....
    Posted for fair use.....
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1KX0LN

Environment August 12, 2018 / 8:40 AM / Updated 9 hours ago

Magnitude 6.4 earthquake hits Alaska's oil-producing North Slope

Yereth Rosen
    3 Min Read

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) - A magnitude 6.4 earthquake struck on Sunday near the native Alaskan village of Kaktovik and part of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge where the Trump administration plans to allow oil drilling, but no injuries or damage were reported.

The temblor, which occurred just before 7 a.m. (1500 GMT), was the most powerful on record to hit Alaska’s oil-producing North Slope, said Paul Huang, a seismologist and deputy director of the National Tsunami Warning Center in Palmer, Alaska.

No tsunami alert was generated, though ground motion was felt as far away as Fairbanks, Alaska, nearly 400 miles (644 km) to the south.

The quake had no impact on operations of the Trans Alaska Pipeline system that carries North Slope crude 800 miles (1,300 km) to the marine terminal at Valdez, according to a statement from Alyeska, the consortium that runs the pipeline.

Alyeska said it would conduct follow-up inspections of the pipeline and related facilities. Inspection teams likewise found nothing amiss at the Prudhoe Bay oil field about 85 miles (137 km) to the east, said Megan Baldino, a spokeswoman for BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc, which operates the field.

The quake, initially measured at a magnitude 6.5, was followed by a series of aftershocks, the largest of which was a 6.0 tremor, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The main earthquake was centered 40 miles (64 km) southwest of Kaktovik, a coastal Inupiat village of about 260 residents at the northern edge of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR).

State emergency officials said they had no reports of damage, but locals in Kaktovik said the tremor did not pass unnoticed.

“I felt a little shaking and felt dizzy, and felt the shelves shaking,” said Archie Brower, assistant manager at the Kaktovik Kikiktak grocery.

The epicenter also lies near an area the U.S. Interior Department plans to lease for petroleum exploration along ANWR’s coastal plain, which had been off-limits to fossil fuel development until a provision was enacted as part of President Donald Trump’s 2017 tax bill.

The vast and environmentally pristine coastal plain, wedged between the Beaufort Sea and Brooks Range mountains, is prized for its importance to caribou, polar bears and other wildlife but is believed to hold billions of barrels of oil.

“Scientifically, however, this region is poorly understood and the behavior of the fault or faults responsible for today’s earthquake are not known,” the Alaska Earthquake Center in Fairbanks said in a bulletin.

Strong earthquakes are not uncommon in seismically active Alaska, but they tend to occur in remote, sparsely populated regions where there is little or no damage.

Reporting by Yereth Rosen in Anchorage; Writing by Steve Gorman; Editing by Cynthia Osterman

Kaktovik, Air Force Station, radar I think, is over past Exxons Point Thompson.
    While it is a significant quake on the scale, most people moving around and working up here didnt even feel it.
    People who heard about it, response was, really??

It knocked over a half dead tree and caused four moose to stumble?
    Just playin. Down here we don't sweat small hurricanes.

Chili

It was caused by fracking.

Deplorable

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    It was caused by fracking.
    Maybe.
    Theres no oil wells in that area. It was centered inland from the native village. No roads no nothing. Fly in village. No infrastructure their for oil. Yet. Could be some day.
    Fracking does go on here where I am. I have milled out many a frack sleeves down hole after the operation.
    I dont know the far reaching geological effects of fracking, but its a good stretch from here.

Quote Originally Posted by SNOWSQUAW View Post
    yeah I wondered the same thing, and if it's Des Moines we're all doomed!
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

It was not even enough of a earthquake to be concerned about up here. Seriously, we hardly noticed. Nobody is even talking about it up here. Comminication? Mostly just oil field people up here. Its much to do over not much of nothing.
    A 6.0 aint nothing. Now a 7.9 we had in the interior 10 plus years ago. That one got our attention.

I'd be more concerned if this happened near any volcanoes.
    People are quick to confuse and despise confidence as arrogance but that is common amongst those who have never accomplished anything in their lives and who have always played it safe not willing to risk failure.

It wasn't the magnitude of the largest events that I was commenting on, it was the sheer number of 2.5-or-greater events posted on the USGS site. There are enough (100-plus by now?) to make me wonder just what happened/is happening (since USGS continues to post 2.5-or-greater events) up there.

For what it's worth, on the USGS site (https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/) I just counted sixty 2.5-or-greater events over the last 24 hours that are associated with this.

For what it's worth, on the USGS site (https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/) I just counted sixty 2.5-or-greater events over the last 24 hours that are associated with this.
    My spidey senses tell me something bigger is about to let loose in that general area, like a HUGE movement. Can't quite put my finger on it but I have a strong sense of something really bad eq wise is about to unzip.

Well, now there is a 6.6 on one of the Aleutian islands. Tidal wave time?
    cliff

It wasn't the magnitude of the largest events that I was commenting on, it was the sheer number of 2.5-or-greater events posted on the USGS site. There are enough (100-plus by now?) to make me wonder just what happened/is happening (since USGS continues to post 2.5-or-greater events) up there.
    Absolutely. Something may very well be happening.
    Could have something to do with tge GSM that is ramping up. I have read a good bit about EQ activity accelerating during solar minimums. So if we are entering a Grand solar minimum then we should expect more eq activity and volacanic activity where ther are volcanoes right?

Look at whats on going in Hawaii.
    Anyway thats for another thread already in progress in Earth Changes section.

There are fifty-five related 2.5-or-greater events on the USGS site for the last 24 hours. I know that big earthquakes very often have aftershocks and sometimes for years afterwards, but I don't recall any recent earthquakes that had this many daily 2.5-or-greater events for this long (the very recent 6.9 earthquake in Indonesia hasn't). The Kilauea eruption had a somewhat similar volume of numbers in the daily USGS listing, although I'm not suggesting there's a new explosively erupting volcano on the North Slope. But the activity does strike me as geologically unusual and unusual sometimes means something different and perhaps interesting.